• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
To be perfectly honest, this just seems like saying, "Don't give the anti-AGW crowd the honest figures for this year's temperatures, they'll lie about it and conflate it like morons!" It's a lose-lose proposition. The fact is that these people are either morons or have a strong motivation against customs (*cough* Zer0 *cough* M2K *cough*). It doesn't matter what you give them, they'll spin it the way they want.
I know that. But making their biggest bandwagon argument harder to use it good, right?

But screw them. Completely ignoring them. what do you think is the fairest, best way to deal with this matter? Mine still is the same:

Don't do anything in singles. In doubles, wait and see. If t's bad, ban the exploit. If it's not bad, leave it alone.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's fast fireball is the same way; it seems great until you realize it is doing 1% per hit.
When I look at things from a Stale Moves perspective, it's honestly not that bad. Free hits that keep you in control are always useful. It's not about the damage but rather forcing people to play on your terms and refreshing other moves in the process. G&W U-air windbox similarly is amazingly useful.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Only a few players here think that. Sadly, those very players eventually used Sheik as a (poor) argument to get customs banned here. It was fun while it lasted, but customs are now disallowed at our monthly tournaments. :(

While most of our community did enjoy customs, the vocal minority eventually started a huge argument against them. While a few of the arguments were fair, most of them were just the typical scrubby nonsense. However, the vocal minority included several high ranking players, so the anti-customs circlejerking was incredibly strong. Customs were eventually banned just to appease said vocal minority.

I'll always remain a strong advocate for customs, and I am proud that the Hawaii community tried customs from the start. I'm just very disappointed that it turned out this way.
This is just about the most depressing thing I've read in a while; if most of your players want customs, there's no reason to ban them and the pro-ban side just needs to be told "no johns" over and over again. Hopefully your position will be helped by the favorable national conditions?

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
The Zelda mains are getting some research done for Farore's Squall (Up B 2), and we are getting some surprising results. And yes, it is strange to see Zelda's meta advancing for once. :p

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-custom-laboratory-farores-squall.391411/

We haven't tested the other specials much yet, but we are generally agreeing that potential sets with Up B 2 is a MUST now. I think that we can afford to replace 1211 and 1311 with XX23. As shown in the link above, Phantom Strike and Farore's Squall work quite handy together. If we get some more research done, as it's still a work in progress, we'll let ya guys know. c:

YorkTC

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. I'm the one who discovered and posted the Olimar Persistent Pikmin Power Amplification Tech. Sorry I didn't post here earlier, I'm new to smashboards and I missed this thread. Someone pointed it out earlier, but I think the easiest way to deal with this is to ban the move Order Tackle in Custom Doubles, or only ban it in combination with a character that has a reflector. Order Tackle is actually my favorite Olimar custom, and despite being slower it has its uses. I want to make it clear that I support the Custom Moves project, and I don't think one bad custom will ruin it for everyone. I don't think banning one move in one format should trigger a knee-jerk reaction to ban all custom moves. If you have any questions let me know, I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Also, here is my newest video. It is a Custom Doubles Match (with Tournament settings) against a Team of CPU9s. Despite it being against the CPU, I think this a strong demonstration of how game-breaking this is in the Custom Doubles Format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAP3O8yShes (Custom Doubles Demonstration)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Question: should the first national with customs have custom singles and standard doubles or customs for both?

Things would be kind of crazy in doubles, and weird bugs like that Olimar one might start popping up...

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is just about the most depressing thing I've read in a while; if most of your players want customs, there's no reason to ban them and the pro-ban side just needs to be told "no johns" over and over again. Hopefully your position will be helped by the favorable national conditions?
Sadly, I don't call the shots over here. If I did, I would have just told everyone to stop being babies and deal with it.

There is a flipside to all of this though. One of the main arguments being thrown around was that Hawaii should adhere to mainland rulesets, since that's where the "serious and the best players play."

If the EVO ruleset allows customs, we're going to ride this point hard and get customs back.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I am not opposed to banning obscure moves that are clearly bugged (until a patch fixes them), including possibly Piston Punch if anyone still feels really bothered about it.

Piston Punch doesn't need to be banned, but since no one should actually pick it anyway, it's really all just a matter of semantics.

I'm also not opposed to banning moves in teams only, for teams-only exploits.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm not really getting the responses against banning a single move. How does this lead to banning all customs? That makes no sense at all. There's nothing wrong with taking out bugged moves that aren't even necessary.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Should Peach have been banned until her moves started staling? It clearly violated developer intent for her moves not to stale and made her much stronger. Where do you draw the line on this garbage? You draw the line on when the bug is too powerful in tournament play, which may be at moment zero in doubles but is not going to be the case at all in singles.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Question: should the first national with customs have custom singles and standard doubles or customs for both?

Things would be kind of crazy in doubles, and weird bugs like that Olimar one might start popping up...
The project sets are mostly optimized for singles, but doubles should be fine. It seems like there being a lot of bugs like that Olimar one is unlikely; that bug relies on perhaps the most obscure interaction and one of the few custom only situations to be team centric.

Custom teams is pretty crazy. I haven't really played many doubles ( mostly quads), but with allies a lot of fun stuff like Blast Burn and Thoron+ gets really fun. I haven't seen anything as abusive as default Oil Panic or default Pocket though so I'm not sure where doubles-centric issues would arise?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Should Peach have been banned until her moves started staling? It clearly violated developer intent for her moves not to stale and made her much stronger. Where do you draw the line on this garbage? You draw the line on when the bug is too powerful in tournament play, which may be at moment zero in doubles but is not going to be the case at all in singles.
I don't know about that. It kinda takes a dump on characters that rely on their reflector moves a lot. Even if they rely on it in a non-defensive manner, all it takes is for one lucky/unlucky situation and the game is pretty much gone.

Edit: I mean seriously, what kind of fighting game has a matchup that completely negates a character from using some of their moves? That's hardly fair.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm not really getting the responses against banning a single move. How does this lead to banning all customs? That makes no sense at all. There's nothing wrong with taking out bugged moves that aren't even necessary.
It's kind of a floodgate mentality. For instance, if you keep the Smash4 precedent at "No bans, period", then there are no bans, period. The moment you establish precedent, it gives opponents a foothold to eat into existing rules.

If we ban one glitch resulting from a team combo, why not ban other glitches? Why not ban other combos? Why not ban other customs? Why not just ban them all so we don't have to worry about it? I don't agree with any of those statements, but it's that sort of logic (or really, that sort of illogical thought process).

I don't know about that. It kinda takes a dump on characters that rely on their reflector moves a lot. Even if they rely on it in a non-defensive manner, all it takes is for one lucky/unlucky situation and the game is pretty much gone.

Edit: I mean seriously, what kind of fighting game has a matchup that completely negates a character from using some of their moves? That's hardly fair.
Gravitational Pull and Pocket against non-projectilers. Ganondorf's utilt.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's kind of a floodgate mentality. For instance, if you keep the Smash4 precedent at "No bans, period", then there are no bans, period. The moment you establish precedent, it gives opponents a foothold to eat into existing rules.

If we ban one glitch resulting from a team combo, why not ban other glitches? Why not ban other combos? Why not ban other customs? Why not just ban them all so we don't have to worry about it? I don't agree with any of those statements, but it's that sort of logic (or really, that sort of illogical thought process).
I don't believe people subscribe to that logic, and the ones that do would just be overwhelmed by the number of those who don't. It just sounds like fear-mongering to me. The whole "slippery slope" idea is true in some situations, but not in one like this. Here we have something that pretty much negates options for some characters in a matchup, and it's totally unintended.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The only characters that can accidentally trigger this if they use the proper custom specials is Rob, for a tiny 4 frame window where his offensive side B reflects anyway, and Ness, possibly, but it's extremely unlikely. And Fox can't remove his reflector entirely, but he doesn't really run up to people and shine them in this game so he should be fine.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The only characters that can accidentally trigger this if they use the proper custom specials is Rob, for a tiny 4 frame window where his offensive side B reflects anyway, and Ness, possibly, but it's extremely unlikely. Fox can't remove his reflector entirely, but he doesn't really run up to people and shine them in this game so he should be fine.
What about Zelda or Mario? (Not sure if it works with them personally but I'm assuming that it does). And I'd argue that 4 frames can still be significant, depending on the circumstances. It would be total BS to lose to it either way. There's no way to argue around that fact, and why subject people to the possibility just for one custom move?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
The problem with banning a move like this is that it's attempting to enforce a norm. I know a lot of people are talking about banning Donkey Kong's Cyclone Up-B because, as far as I can tell from their arguments, Donkey Kong isn't allowed to be good. Banning the move in singles sends the message of "Problematic moves can be removed" leading to scrubs to go for Kong Cyclone, Timber Counter, and other moves they see as broken. Banning the move in doubles when teamed with a reflector character makes it clear that "Bugs and exploits will be removed" which doesn't set the precedent for further arguments.

Right now, people who want to ban Kong Cyclone don't really have a leg to stand on, let's not give em one, eh?

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
What about Zelda or Mario? (Not sure if it works with them personally but I'm assuming that it does). And I'd argue that 4 frames can still be significant, depending on the circumstances. It would be total BS to lose to it either way. There's no way to argue around that fact, and why subject people to the possibility just for one custom move?
They both can select Custom Specials that are unable to reflect projectiles, and thus unable to trigger this.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The problem with banning a move like this is that it's attempting to enforce a norm. I know a lot of people are talking about banning Donkey Kong's Cyclone Up-B because, as far as I can tell from their arguments, Donkey Kong isn't allowed to be good. Banning the move in singles sends the message of "Problematic moves can be removed" leading to scrubs to go for Kong Cyclone, Timber Counter, and other moves they see as broken. Banning the move in doubles when teamed with a reflector character makes it clear that "Bugs and exploits will be removed" which doesn't set the precedent for further arguments.

Right now, people who want to ban Kong Cyclone don't really have a leg to stand on, let's not give em one, eh?
I don't really see that as a valid argument. A bunch of scrubs arguing isn't going to matter to anyone important. It's not a reason to avoid a simple solution to a fairly simple problem.

They both can select Custom Specials that are unable to reflect projectiles, and thus unable to trigger this.
Yeah but what if they wanted to use those moves? You can't just have a character with a move that totally negates the moves of several others. That's not reasonable.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I sympathize, but a line regarding bugs logically has to be drawn somewhere.

We don't even have to agree exactly on where this line is, since thankfully we have very few cases (like, at most one or two) to address.

This is why, if anything is banned (which I'm not opposed to but not in favor of either), it has to be for a clear and unambiguous criteria:

"This is only banned because it is an obviously game-breaking bug. It is banned until it is fixed."

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Yeah but what if they wanted to use those moves? You can't just have a character with a move that totally negates the moves of several others. That's not reasonable.
You're absolutely banning Olimar from using order tackle, which is, yknow, one of Olimar's moves, that's not reasonable.

You are still allowed to use moves with reflective properties and just rely on your ability to hit with them accurately. When you ban Order Tackle, you take it away from Olimar entirely.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I don't really see that as a valid argument. A bunch of scrubs arguing isn't going to matter to anyone important. It's not a reason to avoid a simple solution to a fairly simple problem.
If the Hawaii scene is anything to go by, there's a precedent of vocal scrubs ruining the game for everyone.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I am not opposed to banning obscure moves that are clearly bugged (until a patch fixes them), including possibly Piston Punch if anyone still feels really bothered about it.
Is there really anyone still hot about Piston Punch? Dapuffster is really the only one using it, and even he stopped in favor of the other.
Still far too good though.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
That makes no sense

There's a hierarchy of "so good it's banned > so good it's usable > not good enough to be usable".
Something can't be Uber tier and Never Used tier at the same time.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda

Piston Punch doesn't need to be banned, but since no one should actually pick it anyway, it's really all just a matter of semantics.

I'm also not opposed to banning moves in teams only, for teams-only exploits.
Peach's default Up Special can have the same effect as Piston Punch. If Piston Punch is banned, should Peach's default Up Special be banned to?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Peach's default Up Special can have the same effect as Piston Punch. If Piston Punch is banned, should Peach's default Up Special be banned to?
Add ZSS and Ike's first-hit-only Uspecials (and I think I've heard Dr. Mario's as well?) to that list; I'm sure there are a ton more that I'm unaware of as well.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
As I said before, one of the problems with the Oli glitch is how it makes certain characters fear him more than they should. You have a character who has a projectile that latches onto you and does constant damage that can rack up very quickly. Your answers to this are: don't get hit (which can be hard to do), knock them off with an attack (which doesn't always work and requires you wasting time and leaving yourself open to further attack), ignore them and take the damage or reflect them. This glitch effectively gets rid of one of those options, one of the better ones too since you don't take damage and you possibly inflict damage on Oli. If you try to reflect his Pikmin Throw, he can get access to ohko/high damaging aerials and throws, kinda like if Ice Climbers didn't need to do numerous throws to get a kill and if they had ohko aerials. Keep in mind that Oli's side special isn't the only thing he has that can be reflected, all 3 of his smashes can too though that's risky to do.

If we get rid of every reflector possible here's what characters are stuck with:
:4darkpit::4pit:
Impact Orbitars which are garbage and a countering side special (pretty sure the other two reflect, at the very least the default does) Missing out on a decent ko move, least for Pit.
:4drmario::4mario:
Shocking Cape which isn't too bad. It kills but it has bad startup and isn't a gimping tool like the other two though gimping Oli with it probably isn't too effective in this game unless he has 3 Pikmin with him.
:4falco:
Reflector Void which honestly isn't that bad. My preferred reflector most of the time anyways.
:4megaman:
Thankfully Leaf and Plant Barrier are good moves already and can probably deal with Pikmin better than Skull Barrier.
:4miigun:
Absorber is useless but at least you get Bomb Drop.
:4miisword:
A counter or what is basically Wizard Foot/Falcon Kick. Much like the Mario's you miss out on a gimp tool though.
:4palutena:
Angelic Missle or, ya know, Super Speed...doubt there's a complaint there.
:4zelda:
Nayru's Passion which from what I've read is just plain bad. You also miss out on a move with invincibility frames.
:4fox::4rob::4ness:
And then these three characters have to have a reflector. Doesn't matter too much for Fox since that's the only use for his Reflector in this game anyways but I'm pretty sure R.O.B.'s Arm Rotor has more use than just being a reflector and as for Ness...it's a smash attack.

Another thing to consider with this glitch is that some tournaments are going to have 10 presets and that's it. What if there isn't one with Nayru's Passion or Shocking Cape or Impact Orbitars etc.? You could always just not use the move I guess but again it makes Oli more threatening than he should be.

TL;DR The Oli glitch is a problem for certain characters in singles but aside from 3 characters, all of them have a means of avoiding the problem although the answer isn't always that great. Makes Oli more of a potential threat than he should be to certain characters.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You accomplish a lot more in balancing the roster by banning default Monkey Flip from the Ganon-Diddy matchup than you do banning Order Tackle from the Fox-Olimar matchup

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
There are multiple moves that have this effect (Screw Attack is another one). I assume Piston Punch is a problem because it's the easiest one to trigger.

I don't see Order Tackle being a huge problem in singles. You could, you know, just not use your reflective moves when you have Pikmin attached.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Add ZSS and Ike's first-hit-only Uspecials (and I think I've heard Dr. Mario's as well?) to that list; I'm sure there are a ton more that I'm unaware of as well.
Little Mac has a custom Up-Special that kills at 60% as well, but that's never had anyone even mention a ban, as no matter how cheap it may be, it's not ban-worthy, and neither are any of these attacks really due to their riskiness.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Shiek invalidating half the cast with a chain throw in Melee is fine, but Olimar encouraging some characters to change their specials isn't? Give me a break. Many of these reflectors require strict timing on both sides, and all the reflectors there that can't be held are literally impossible to do on accident.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Shiek invalidating half the cast with a chain throw in Melee is fine, but Olimar encouraging some characters to change their specials isn't? Give me a break. Many of these reflectors require strict timing on both sides, and all the reflectors there that can't be held are literally impossible to do on accident.
Eh, I don't play Melee or watch it so the comparison doesn't mean much to me. I suppose I should also mention I'm still on the fence about the glitch. It causes an obvious problem but has an obvious answer too. It's a much bigger problem in doubles. My biggest issue with it is how it makes Olimar a much larger threat than he should be. People will be reluctant to reflect any of his attacks when they shouldn't be. That doesn't change the answer of 'don't reflect' but the answer isn't pretty :/

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Eh, I don't play Melee or watch it so the comparison doesn't mean much to me. I suppose I should also mention I'm still on the fence about the glitch. It causes an obvious problem but has an obvious answer too. It's a much bigger problem in doubles. My biggest issue with it is how it makes Olimar a much larger threat than he should be. People will be reluctant to reflect any of his attacks when they shouldn't be. That doesn't change the answer of 'don't reflect' but the answer isn't pretty :/
Either way, Olimar is still not going to be used at all. this isn't even an issue in Singles because it's definitionally a gimmick. Olimar is still a much smaller threat than he should be, since 3DS version ingrained it into almost everyone's minds that he sucks, and is unviable at tournaments.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I can confirm this bug is present on the 3DS 1.0.5 version.

Rosalina has problems like that character -wide. Not getting into that discussion. And that move doesn't cost you the game for messing up with It. Not comparable.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Rosalina has problems like that character -wide. Not getting into that discussion. And that move doesn't cost you the game for messing up with It. Not comparable.
Well either way, this glitch doesn't need banning, in any format, until it shows that it's really bad. if you don't believe in that, the only other thing to believe in is guilty until proven innocent. With that logic, each character, stage and feature should be banned until they prove themselves worthy. And that sort of ruleset is beyond garbage.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Either way, Olimar is still not going to be used at all. this isn't even an issue in Singles because it's definitionally a gimmick. Olimar is still a much smaller threat than he should be, since 3DS version ingrained it into almost everyone's minds that he sucks, and is unviable at tournaments.
I agree that it is a gimmick and it's a much bigger issue for doubles than for singles. I mean, this glitch requires customs to be on, an Oli, a character with a reflector and convenient timing of both the reflector and Tackle Order. That being said, all of that IS possible in a match. As for how people feel about Oli, I can see Dabuz's placement in APEX being some leverage, not too much though since Rosa was used much more and if this glitch gets more well know then maybe he'll see more use too. Good chance that won't happen though since this only works on Reflector characters and not Diddy/Sheik/Rosa.

Rambling aside, as I said before if I had to give a definite answer I'd say ban Tackle Order only on teams and only if used with a teammate with a reflector. Should be left alone in singles until it proves it's a larger problem.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
There were only two arguments that were somewhat reasonable. The rest were not.

1. Hawaii should disallow customs temporarily to help a few of our players better prepare for Apex, which obviously had customs banned. This eventually turned out to be a big farce of an argument, since here we are after Apex and our monthlies still disallow customs. Heh.

2. Allowing customs would make a handful of out-of-state players feel uncomfortable, potentially jeopardizing the chance of having them come out and play at our events. I honestly felt that this was a weak argument, but it wasn't my call to make. It's not like people come to Hawaii for the sole purpose of playing super-duper-competitive Smash anyway. They come out here because it's fun. It's Hawaii for God's sake.
That really sucks, but I think in the near future, with more and more locals adopting customs (and nationals slowly adopting/considering them) you'd be able to scare your region into allowing them again so players don't get "left behind".

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
We won't know what needs to be banned until more use with customs. At this point this about 110 day old game is still very young, which means we need more time to see what must be banned or not. I'm against banning any customs moves at this point, but like I said we won't know until we have more time with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom