• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Oh yes I am.
So how'd it go?? I hope you repped Onett good and strong, and made 50 bucks to boot.

The Meta Knight players I know ban Norfair against me, and while I've seen Meta Knight pull some stuff on ledges before, I've never seen him be even a little successful with it on Norfair.
This.

Most times I play against MK here he's headed to a ledge to gain IF's and then tries to suck me in for a bAir or uAir, but all I have to do is wait until he's exhausted his 3rd or even 2nd jump and he goes from a few possibilities down to 2, SL (which is mad punishable on norfair) or re-grab the ledge and try again. If he takes the inside and forces -me- to the ledge, he's just as useless, because of the way the ledges themselves are stacked. The only strategy I've seen that was worth a darn was against someone who was really good at side-b, and able to traverse the stage with it almost seamlessly, but just 1 miss and he's wide open, so I haven't seen this tactic in use very much. Oh and nado is rendered moot here for the most part, so long as you're not dumb and walk into it.

Also, some of the recent posts have been pretty bad. If you have something to say, back it up. It's not significant to anyone if you happen to like or dislike some stage if that's all you have to say...
This also, thanks AA for reminding the newer posters that this is a legality discussion, and not a beauty contest. ICs yeah, short planks are short. they need the length to execute their insanity, unless you're NinjaLink look around 0:24 -_- SIIIICK.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So how'd it go?? I hope you repped Onett good and strong, and made 50 bucks to boot.
I'm short on cash right now. Couldn't have done it even if I wanted to at this moment.

And it doesn't seem like he's going taking the MM seriously. Then again my thread got closed, and posts that look like:

"Pick Ike
Counter a car
Do 60 ****ing damage and kill ANYONE with intelligent DI at like 20%
Onett sucks my ****
"

Will forever be the deciding factor of Onett's legality in Vegas. (Don't even get me started on why this is so easily avoidable and my local community is pulling @#$% from their @#$ and how they are so "open" for change.)

We're all a bunch of scrubs who can make money and do really well in a conservative stagelist.

sunshade

Smash Ace
This thread has been dead for quite a while now so here is an attempt to liven it up a bit.

This thread normally discusses legality of banned, and counter/banned stages but we do not frequently discuss neutral vs. counterpick balance. In the Yoshi's Island Ghosts thread I noticed two statements of interest in regards to Yoshi's Islands balance.

Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination, Halberd, Yoshis Island.

Those are the stages i think that are closest to neutral out of all the others, in order from most neutral to not quite. Halberd has the things that try to kill you, but they are easily avoidable and the ghost can on Y.I can change much more than the weapons on Halberd. Plus the bumpy ground on Y.I and the edges can be silly.
It's kind of silly to have a neutral with such a random mechanic in there that can literally save a match for someone
The two quotes describe Yoshi's Island as being less deserving as neutral due to its

1. Bumpy ground causing stage bias.

Example: Personally I have never had issue with the stages bumps however I could see it causing minor (very minor) issues for chain grabbing and other advanced techs. (A poor example I know)

2. The ledges causing issues with recovery and the stage having a drop off to add additional bias. (downwards walk of if saying drop off did not make sense)

Example: the ledges and drop off of Yoshi's Island can cause some recovery to be gimped if to close to the sides. Yoshi's jump and zelda's up-B can have issues.

3. The random chance that the stage will save the stock of a player. Random elements that help players are not as often disliked by players as random elements that damage them. However a random saving of a stock has a major influence on the out come of a match.

Example: I don't have any videos of the Ghosts saving someone in a match and vastly altering the out come however I have been saved many times by the Ghosts and have had a match saved thanks to them. (another lousy example.)

sunshade

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Island Metagame: If you can't recover, fall to where the ghost will spawn.

In short, it helps recoveries IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
It does not help you because you know what you are doing it helps you because you got lucky. If a player always moves to where the ghosts will spawn when he knows he cannot recover than yes the stage will have a chance at helping him. But a player could move to the ghost spawn points whenever recovery was not possible and be unlucky every single time and never get saved.

Random elements are inherently unfair in a competitive environment. If a random element helps the better player than it does not matter because the player is better and would win with or without the help. If the random element helps the worse player than they are being given an unearned benefit not based on skill but luck which may cause them to win despite being less skilled.

The purpose of a neutral stage is to be an even playing field where skill determines the victor because the stage is irrelevant. Now if the randomness of ghosts is enough to damage the neutrality of Yoshi's island is another discussion point (personally I don't think it is).

infomon

Smash Scientist
It is not anticompetitive for small elements of randomness to exist. In particular, it:
a) assigns value to a player's ability to reason about probabilities ("balancing the odds well" is a skill different from "plays a deterministic game" well, and if Brawl is the former, then it is the former we're competing at)
b) assigns value to a player's ability to adapt to a dynamic environment, which is also an important aspect of Brawl gameplay.

bobson

Smash Lord
I have a hard time discussing the merits of starter VS counter when I don't have a solid philosophy on what makes a starter a starter. Why should Battlefield be a starter and not, say, Delfino, when they cause roughly the same amount of matchup bias?

buenob

Smash Lord
Why should Battlefield be a starter and not, say, Delphino, when they cause roughly the same amount of matchup bias?
fairly simply, because you're wrong lol...

I have come to believe that the "starters" exist because they are bland in comparison, not because they are "the most fair"... they offer the least extra things to think about, while as a whole allow for varied and relatively fair gameplay... they're the most "this char vs. this char" brawl can offer taken both individually and as a whole...

i also completely support this

sunshade

Smash Ace
a) assigns value to a player's ability to reason about probabilities ("balancing the odds well" is a skill different from "plays a deterministic game" well, and if Brawl is the former, then it is the former we're competing at)
Agreed, however I view the skill of balancing odds to be appropriately tested in gambling not a skill focused competition.

b) assigns value to a player's ability to adapt to a dynamic environment, which is also an important aspect of Brawl gameplay.
I personally never understood why a random element is needed to induce dynamic gameplay. If a player always responds to the same event in the exact same way than the player is predictable and should be punished by his opponent. Dynamic matches should be the responsibility of the players not a random element.

I have a hard time discussing the merits of starter VS counter when I don't have a solid philosophy on what makes a starter a starter. Why should Battlefield be a starter and not, say, Delphino, when they cause roughly the same amount of matchup bias?
I guess now would be a good time to debate what merits a neutral stage than. My personal view of what makes a neutral stage a neutral stage is how it influences the win:lose ratio of a batter player vs. a less player. If on stage A the better player (lets just agree the player is better and not get into the subjectivity of what is "better") wins 80:20 against a lesser player and on stage B the ratio is 60:40 than I would consider B to be a less neutral stage than A.

buenob

Smash Lord
the problem becomes, what establishes that 80/20 relationship in the first place? there is no magic level outside of all available levels which we can base that upon... (lol sorry, been debating metaphysics a lot lately)

random elements are just a situation instigated by neither player which both have to adapt to... most times in my matches neither me nor my opponent are surprised by what happens... getting punished is never really a surprise... why do you think the pro players have such good DI? (they know they're about to get hit)... dynamic (random) elements just test who can completely re-calculate all the scenarios better/faster, which is basically the first part of infzy's statement... also, he never said it was needed, just that it was a cause...
the problem with these "random" elements is when they become just as important as your opponent... the ability to adapt and predict the stage (play the odds) shouldn't be anywhere near as important as doing the same to your opponent... hence all the "fighting the stage" comments

bobson

Smash Lord
fairly simply, because you're wrong lol...
Well, with reasoning like that, how can I disagree?

I guess now would be a good time to debate what merits a neutral stage than. My personal view of what makes a neutral stage a neutral stage is how it influences the win:lose ratio of a batter player vs. a less player. If on stage A the better player (lets just agree the player is better and not get into the subjectivity of what is "better") wins 80:20 against a lesser player and on stage B the ratio is 60:40 than I would consider B to be a less neutral stage than A.
This is... highly subjective, for many reasons. What if the better player is using Metaknight, and the lesser player is playing Bowser? Would that mean Rainbow Cruise is more fit as a starter, as it causes the better player to win more often? What if the reason the better player loses more often on stage B is simply because that player never plays on the stage and is thus thrown off, and the lesser player plays with his casual friends a lot on that stage and isn't?

buenob

Smash Lord
and your post was more informative? lolz lrn2troll

but seriously, I'd be more than happy to point out why I disagree with you if you should ever decide to back your claims

bobson

Smash Lord
I can't prove nonexistence. My backup is simply that I have no knowledge of any matchup bias made possible by Delfino that goes to a greater extent than anything on Battlefield.

buenob

Smash Lord
MK is great on delfino, he can abuse going under the level, the water, and the low/changing ceiling deathzone easily
d3 has points where he can chaingrab off the edge with and without platforms to try to avoid it...

edit: overall, each section heavily favours one style of play over others, so when taken as a whole it seems to be "neutral", but that is too basic an outlook... a good player will just stall until the parts he has equal footing // the advantage, and then try to attack

i can go on (and so can a lot of other people)... i'm sorry if i come across as an ***, but my comment was intended to spark debate... re-reading your original post, knowing what you meant to sound like, I can see it... it was worded in a way which was kind of presenting your opinion as fact, and blah blah blah whatever, misunderstanding, my bad :)

bobson

Smash Lord
Yeah, MK can abuse those things, but so can everyone else. The only thing he can really abuse to a higher degree than most others is going under the stage, and I'd say that's offset by the fact that his considerable gimping power is made useless a third of the time spent on the stage due to the transformations.

Dedede and others can get a fleeting advantage with walkoffs (if they manage to land a grab now that the opponent is incredibly conscious of it), but I'd say that's better than the permanent advantages offered by Battlefield to characters like Falco and MK.

If one player can stall while he's at a disadvantage until he has the advantage, why can't the other?

A lot of characters have a bunch of things they can abuse on the starters that they can't on other stages, FD being a big obvious example. Presumably there's some level of perceived "fairness" that's present in the starters that's not in the counterpicks, but I'm not convinced that Diddy Kong being great on Final Destination is because Diddy Kong is just a good character and we just have to live with that while Snake being great on Halberd is because the stage is too busted to be a starter and we can't tolerate those kind of advantages.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
My view on the character biases is this. The reality of Brawl is that it is a game with the character Ice Climbers. Ice Climbers are not only a really lame gimmick character (you know it's true; this is not an insult to Ice Climbers mains), but they are extremely polarized in terms of stages. Basically, they want something as flat as possible and non-interactive as possible. Ice Climbers are also arguably (reasonably arguably even) one of the better characters in the game so they are a very big factor (I see a lot of talk about ICs being #3 or #4 in the game).

My perspective is that it's just a fact that the best stages for the Ice Climbers is Final Destination. Their next best stage is Smashville. Among the remaining stages, they really like Battlefield and (assuming the ICs player is practiced in dealing with the terrain) really like Yoshi's Island (Brawl). On the full current SBR stage list, their least favorite three stages are Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Norfair (Pirate Ship is maybe an honorable mention). They actually don't like any of the stages in counterpick/banned. If our goal is to make "fair" rules, we have a big problem here. If our goal is to make the metagame something we like, we also have a big problem here (unless you think infinite chaingrabs are actually a good thing?).

We also have Diddy Kong and Falco, two obviously good characters, who benefit a lot from "neutral" stages. This is seeming like some growing systemic bias here. But first a side point that I think addresses a concern before it starts.

People like to say Falco is ridiculous on Jungle Japes, but I just don't buy it. He can cg -> dair you into the water sure, but you can recover from that. I haven't specifically tested it with Falco's dair, but I know dropping from the left ledge of Jungle Japes and holding right lets the entire cast survive hitting the water including Link, Olimar with no pikmin, and Popo alone. It is hard for me to imagine that Falco cging you off that side and comboing into dair isn't similarly survivable if you SDI the dair to the right once (like you do to tech off the side of other stages) and continue to hold right. This will cause you to also get an ASDI to the right when hitlag ends, and your normal DI will bend the arc of the dair to the right. Then just use proper water survival technique (hold right as you come up, jump at the first possible moment out of the water but don't mash, use your double jump at the peak of your first jump). I really doubt anyone dies in this situation, and even in the unlikely event some characters can't recover, it would just be guys like Link, no pikmin Olimar, and Popo alone. On the other hand, the right platform on this stage intuitively should pose a problem for Falco. If you have a lead and camp it, how does he approach? His ledgegame sucks so from beneath is a bad option (note the inverse is likely not true so camping this platform won't be helping Falco much in the opposite situation), and if he tries to jump in from above, almost the entire cast has a big advanage in countering his approach. He could spam lasers, but it has been demonstrated before that dodging Falco's lasers for 8 minutes is completely possible at high levels. I suppose Falco does have a bit of a run-away game with Falco Phantasm here, but that is going to make Falco pretty predictable... to say the least. If you can't find something to deal with that (either spacing out Falco so he can't run or stealing the ledge at a clever time), you weren't going to be winning on any stage. I really just cannot imagine how this stage is supposed to be so good for Falco. Can someone explain this?

To get to the heart of systemic biases, we have Meta Knight. A lot of people like to say that Meta Knight benefits a lot from these more CPish to banned stages, but does he really? Color me skeptical at best. I know for a fact he's seriously hurt by Green Greens, and I wouldn't want to be Meta Knight on Yoshi's Island (Melee) either. Then you have stages like Norfair that people like to put firmly into Meta Knight's camp, but let's think about what Meta Knight is good at. One thing he is good at is jumping around using really fast attacks. This sort of play is obviously empowered by Norfair. Another thing, however, is that he's very good at "control". Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop is one of the best anti-approach moves in the game. It's massively disjointed with transcendent priority and partial invincibility. It's really not that unsafe. It hits really hard. Very few characters have frontal non-projectile approaches that can challenge Shuttle Loop. In fact, the only one I can easily think up is Ike's forward aerial just due to its sheer range (DK's Giant Punch and Spinning Kong could maybe work too with clever use of super armor). Meta Knight can also make himself pretty hard to hit by using Mach Tornado, a move that outprioritizes massive chunks of many characters' movesets and makes Meta Knight mobile. In many matchups, Meta Knight can pin his opponent to the ground with good use of dair while simultaneously shield pressuring and setting up for a gimp if he does hit. More than anything, this sort of thing is why Meta Knight is so good in the first place.

A very "neutral" stage that is mostly flat and non-interactive favors this playstyle heavily. Just think about what Final Destination means. There are no interactive features, and the geography is a simple flat line. An excellent control characters like Meta Knight doubtless will be able to dictate the pacing of the match very well here. Stages like Battlefield and Smashville are going to be somewhat harder to control, but on the grand scale of stages, they are going to be among the easier ones to control no doubt. The number of variables and different types of space they introduce are very limited. However, if the geography gets more diverse as on Delfino Plaza, his job gets harder. The opponent could approach from below with aerials, something none of Meta Knight's options easily counter. The complex terrain of the landing spots opens new approach avenues and introduces new tactics and tricks. There's even some water which greatly changes the dynamic of the fight. Meta Knight has tools to effectively utilize these stage features, but his ability to exert raw control is definitely diminished. On the extreme, look at Norfair. On Norfair, any character can approach from any direction at any time, more or less. Anyone is very close to getting a quick burst of ledge invincibility at any time. On a routine basis, hazards appear on the stage. These hazards dominate the space in which they appear; characters are forced to deal with them (usually by moving somewhere else) or get hit (which is just forcing them to move anyway). Sure Meta Knight gains a few tricks, but can he hope to exert control here? He doesn't have a chance of that. Controlling anything on Norfair is a nightmare; flexible and disruptive play is favored. Most counterpick and counterpick-banned stages are like this to a far greater extent than the starter stages, and in many, maybe even in most, matchups, this is bad for Meta Knight since the primary thing giving him the edge was his excellent ability to exert control.

My position is, as is probably well known by now, one of favoring more liberal stage rules. I feel as though the rise of Ice Climbers, the uncannily high power of Diddy Kong and Falco, and the dominance of Meta Knight are largely enforced by the conservative stage lists so many are growing to favor. I think we not only stick to principles of good competitive rulesets by adhering to more liberal stage rules, but the game is a better and more balanced game with more stages in play. I think many of the negative trends in the metagame we have seen lately can be attributed to shifting stage policy, and I feel strongly that a restoration of a greater diversity of stages is a good way to remedy this.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It is not anticompetitive for small elements of randomness to exist. In particular, it:
This. Though there are no accounts of random elements involved in any competitive fighting game series other than SSB, this is why this distinction is important, because Brawl, even competitively, is not other fighting games. Being able to respond to a limited number of stage elements is a test of that skill, and being able to adapt to those elements and the situations they present both fighters, is also important.

I have a hard time discussing the merits of starter VS counter when I don't have a solid philosophy on what makes a starter a starter. Why should Battlefield be a starter and not, say, Delfino, when they cause roughly the same amount of matchup bias?
The status quo would seem to be that Starters have no random elements of note, no stage hazards of note, and a static playing field.

FD, BF, LC, SV all fit this criterion, in order from least to most. Beyond that, you're getting into more in-depth stages, which involve either transformations, or stage elements that can dmg you, or block your attack, or the character itself. YI(B) is the least of the remaining stages that involves the least amount of these things, so much so, that it remains a viable Starter in most estimations.

I personally never understood why a random element is needed to induce dynamic gameplay. If a player always responds to the same event in the exact same way than the player is predictable and should be punished by his opponent. Dynamic matches should be the responsibility of the players not a random element.
It's not random if it's the same event in the exact same way. Dynamic game play in this sense is on the part of the stage, not the character. True you need to fight dynamically to keep from being predictable, but in Brawl, the more dynamic the stage, the more dynamic the fight. This unique attribute to SSB allows the characters to reach their full potential.

Just ONE example of thousands, literally: Kirby. His up-B lands on-stage during an edge-grab feint. On FD it goes out straight. On YI(B) it goes up at an angle. 1 simple change to the stage floor layout, and yet this move now has 2 different angles. This... dynamic to Kirby is thanks to the Stage, not a button combo (sic).

I am having trouble resolving the link between match up ratios and stage neutrality. When I am past this, I'll get back to you :p Gotta think a bit on it, what you're proposing is quite complex actually, and I don't want to dismiss it out of ignorance or laziness.

I wouldn't want to be Meta Knight on Yoshi's Island (Melee) either.
He's legit there, SL KO's are a dime a dozen.

My position is, as is probably well known by now, one of favoring more liberal stage rules. I feel as though the rise of Ice Climbers, the uncannily high power of Diddy Kong and Falco, and the dominance of Meta Knight are largely enforced by the conservative stage lists so many are growing to favor. I think we not only stick to principles of good competitive rulesets by adhering to more liberal stage rules, but the game is a better and more balanced game with more stages in play. I think many of the negative trends in the metagame we have seen lately can be attributed to shifting stage policy, and I feel strongly that a restoration of a greater diversity of stages is a good way to remedy this.
Well said. I agree wholeheartedly. The meta game has really become the big-four game (FD/BF/SV/YI:B). And characters who do naturally well on those styles of stages are indeed top of the pile. I can't blame the game designers for making an unbalanced crapfest. So instead I blame the competitive scene for taking the easy route. MK, pft, hell the second I picked up the game I was like "oh wait, who's THIS gem" and realized how broken he was. But it was nothing compared to how broken he's become, and the lack of cp's at high level play can be blamed, in place of blaming the designers.

infomon

Smash Scientist
So AA, would you say that the strong character biases (unbalancedness) present in Brawl motivates a reason to discard buenob's alternative worldview about stages?

I have come to believe that the "starters" exist because they are bland in comparison, not because they are "the most fair"... they offer the least extra things to think about, while as a whole allow for varied and relatively fair gameplay...
This is a perfectly rational worldview about how to play Brawl competitively. I'm very sympathetic, but at the same time, I'm not convinced that this isn't a very inferior worldview, against other perfectly rational possibilities. I guess I have two questions:

1. Suppose, very hypothetically, that Ice Climbers were an unstoppable monstrosity on FD/SV/BF/YI:B/Lylat. Very strong advantage against anyone not-ICs, on these stages, so that competition was getting kinda ridiculous -- but assume ICs do bad/even enough on other stages that everywhere else is normal. At what point, if ever, would you say "ok this starter set doesn't allow reasonable competition"? Or would you ban the ICs first, even though they're only "broken" because you've pseudo-arbitrarily selected stages which "don't move" because they don't have "extra things to think about"?

2. Suppose, hypothetically again, that SV, BF, YI:B, Lylat, and PS1 didn't exist. So there's FD, and then a bunch of very dynamic stages. (and then another bunch that are banned.) Ignore the problem of selecting a starter set from this list (lol), but my question is: at this point, wouldn't it also be reasonable to say "FD is a fine stage, but really isn't particularly representative of the type of competition that this game is about; it's more of a unique minigame than the centre of competing at the game Smash Bros. Brawl"? Because I think the fact that dynamic-stage-elements is an inherent part of what it means to fight at Brawl, and throwing those away so you "don't have to think about them" immediately ends discussion about competing at Brawl vs. competing at a very special minigame that isn't reflective of one's skill at the actual game. (inb4lol-then-turn-on-items-too:urg:)

bobson

Smash Lord
The status quo would seem to be that Starters have no random elements of note, no stage hazards of note, and a static playing field.
Skyworld, Temple and Pipes are all eligible starters by these criteria. It seems an awfully arbitrary way of handling it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Skyworld, Temple and Pipes are all eligible starters by these criteria. It seems an awfully arbitrary way of handling it.
Well, true, to be more specific: For my own purposes I define stage hazards as encompassing walk-offs, caves of life, circle-camps... in other words not just elements that can hurt you, but that can also physically block your character, your attack, or impede your recovery, or center too closely to stalled or otherwise ban worthy game play. (And no, sunshade, don't even start on the Pirate Ship thing again :p)

Skyworld, the floors themselves become hazards as they are broken, and this would also constitute an undo transformation, as the stage though seemingly static, is different when say, the middle bottom is out but the top is intact (utilt attacks get a huge advantage, and so too do characters w/a heavy utilt attack like snake, etc). Recovery can be far more difficult in this instance, and worse when the plats start to regenerate, blocking your return.

Temple, the stage hazards here are the cave of life element, and the circle-camp element.

Pipes has the walk-off.

I should point out that I am not advocating for any particular stage, just defining the status quo as it currently exists, and the reasoning that seems to be in play behind it.

By stripping away the stages that employ these elements, you are left with 5... FD/SV/BF/LC/YI:B

What does throw this off though is PS1. It doesn't fit the criterion very well, it has major transformations, and very different elements in play, namely conveyor belts, ice plat, and gravity shift. this would be why (I assume) Lylat is the 5th starter not PS1 in many ladders and competitions.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
That's PS2 that has those specific transformations, not PS1. PS1 has a moving solid object and some walls, but it has no ice, conveyor belts, or low gravity.

I want to be clear I don't think Brawl is a poorly made or poorly balanced game. However, I feel that the game's balance naturally tends to favor the type of stage lists I argue for. When you say "we want to play on these simple, non-interactive stages", you're basically constructing a game that is a subset of all that is Brawl (we do this anyway to an extent, but again, it's a question of extent). Within this constructed subset, which has begun to be explored pretty deeply, I feel as though certain characters perform at a level beyond what is healthy for the game, and I feel as though the overall character balance becomes not only fairly arbitrary but also inferior to the balance under the rules I would support. What buenob is arguing for is a constructionist philosophy whereby we make the rules to make the game into what we want it to be. That is not necessarily automatically invalid, though I feel it has many flaws (which I will not get into at this moment). However, even under this constructionist view, I find the current stage list to be building something worse than what is built by the stage list I support. It's moreso that, even though I disagree with the philosophy, I believe that even utilizing the philosophy suggests conservative stage rules are a bad idea unless you are willing to accept some implications I simply don't believe most advocates of conservative stage lists acknowledge and/or realize (mostly the severe impact on balance).

To be honest, I'm not even saying that 7 starters with a flush list of counterpicks fixes everything. In light of the developments we have seen in the metagame, there is likely an even better way to do it. However, I do know that 7 starters and a flush list of counterpicks will produce a better result than 5 starters and a slim list of counterpicks and is something that I feel reasonable players should be capable of accepting as a compromise (contrary to what some people who are winning the political war over stages believe, some of us still consider things like banning Onett and especially Corneria a concession, not an assumption, and some of us look at stages as a whole as meaning 42 stages and give serious thought to the implications of even stages like 75m and factor them into what we consider the "center" of stage policy).

Sucumbio, I'd like to suggest that the term "hazard" as used by most people is literally meaningless. Try to make a rigid definition of hazard that includes all things that are hazards and excludes all things that are not hazards. I think you'll find it difficult. Literally every piece of geography can impede "worthy game play", and literally every stage feature can be relied upon so its absence on other stages could also be considered to impede "worthy game play". I find it hard under your outlook on hazards to call the loop on Temple a hazard without calling the tilting platform on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) a hazard since it impedes certain positioning techniques or even calling the absence of power-up rewarding minigames on Final Destination a hazard since that impedes Sonic's ability to attain critical objectives more quickly and efficiently than Snake to gain a temporary advantage. The way I use the term makes it easy though. To me, a hazard is any stage feature that independently generates a damaging hitbox or that "grabs" and kills characters. This means the fire on Norfair and the acid on Brinstar are hazards. The only two things that actually "grab and kill" are the fish on Summit and the monster on Distant Planet (things like the track on Big Blue don't count; you are free to jump off the track and it's just a faster version of the ground on any moving stage). I also don't use hazard as a negative term; I consider a hazard as benign of a thing as a ledge or a platform.

I make that point, as silly as I'm sure it seems to many, because I think the misuse of the term "hazard" is a real problem. I think a lot of people use the term hazard to actually mean "stage features we think are bad" and then label assorted things as hazards as a way to call them bad and the stages that include them as somehow worse than the stages without them without having to back up claims about why these things are bad or why these stages are worse than other stages. By defining the hazards as impediments to gameplay, they also raise dangerous implications that things such as the acid on Brinstar or the claw, laser, and bombs on Halberd are somehow inherently undesirable and tolerated at best, as opposed to the reality that damaging hazards as much as any other stage feature can be a positive force in the game that work in favor of the depth and complexity of competitive play. It's a better approach to see some gameplay implications as undesirable and hold that stage features themselves are inherently innocent; I think it just helps make a more reasonable and fair stage list.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Oh boy, are we getting into hazards for Sonic?

1) Clearly, not having Smash Balls on is a hazard for Sonic. I'm sure every Sonic main has come to the conclusion Sonic was not meant to kill without his Final Smash.

2) Not having an opportunity to circle camp hurts Sonic because he's one of the best at it, and taking this away from him gives you...well, the Sonic we know and mourn for.

Everything in the game is there for a different reason. It's starting to seem like, to truly balance the game, Smash Balls need to be on :/

After Sonic, take Meta Knight. He has a moveset made of pure diamonds. However, he has a terrible final smash, and, at that, has a terrible time even getting it. However, he can effectively fight you away from the Smash Ball.

The point is that with this current ruleset, balance simply cannot be achieved. There are characters that absolutely yearn for stageplay, walkoffs, etc, and we're taking that away from them, which leaves very plain stages that characters with chaingrabs and potent stage control love to play on.

Sure, Snake loves his low ceilings, but you're forgetting that so does Luigi.

On the other hand, Meta Knight hates low ceilings very much. However, Pit is a character that cries at low ceilings from having no decent upward kill options.

Now, let's look at it like this.

Skyworld is a stage centralised on controlling it. You shape the stage the way you want to and prevent your opponent from ruining it, or getting the control first. Characters with massive hitboxes hate having the platforms around (HI MARTH), because on a whiff or miscalculation, it leaves them extremely vulnerable due to hitlag. On top of this, there is a Skyworld AT where you do a high-cooldown Smash and break the floor beneath you, reducing ALL LAG and allowing you to attack immediately after the hitbox comes out. Yes, destroying the floor but not the ceiling can be a favourable tactic to some characters, but there's a simple technique that completely ruins it: Pressing Shield. Sure, if you miss it, it can spell your death, but there comes a point where teching will be second nature and missing it really does make you the worse player. Also, if you're hit so hard that "you had no time to tech", you were probably going to die off the top, anyway. Oh, and instead of complaining, how about standing on top of those platforms and breaking them?

In conclusion, Skyworld is the counterpick for any character or player that loves to play stage control games. So, why are we taking this away? Because it hurts bad recoveries? Guess what, Meta Knight hurts bad recoveries more than Skyworld could ever dream to.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That's PS2 that has those specific transformations, not PS1. PS1 has a moving solid object and some walls, but it has no ice, conveyor belts, or low gravity.
Heh yeah i always get them backwards. They should be labeled PS:B and PS:M. You got what I mean though, and PS1 is still not "neutral" if we are to consider the definition of neutrals as being the least "janky" stages. It's a distant 6th choice at best but I question the wisdom of defining it as a Starter and not a CP (not implying you do, but I've seen it as such on some tourney stage rosters).

I didn't want to ... insult the intelligence of pro smashers by dumbing down the vocabulary too much, but it seems to be impossible otherwise. Starters are the stages with the least "jank." I cannot think of another way to put it other than that, tbh. Elements to stages that disqualify a stage from being neutral are (in no particular order, hereto forward "list elements"):

1.) Walk-offs
2.) Transformations: either timed, or triggered
3.) Hurtboxed animations: either timed, or triggered
4.) Circle-stalls
5.) Caves of life
6.) Scrolling
7.) Walls
8.) Water
9.) Random occurrences

Of all the stages, the 2 that truly do not posses any of these elements is FD and BF.

So these 2 are automatically on the Starter list. From there you build your list, taking into account each of the List elements, and constructing your list out of stages with as few of these elements as possible, as you go down the list of stages. Theoretically if done correctly, this would produce a list of all the stages in order from least "janky" to most "janky" with several pairs or even 3-of-a-kind or more as you get further down the list. Then you insert your breaks in between stages to categorize them as starter, starter cp, etc.

With this method, we have a stage list that begins as follows:

FD
BF
LC
SV
YI(B)

The first 5 stages in order following this method. And... it coincides with the list of Starters normally used in most tournaments, though again I'll note PS:1 is sometimes in place of Lylat, but I still don't want to debate why that is at this time because I don't agree it should ever be, and its inclusion jeopardizes the harmony of this methodology by suggesting a far less objective and logical approach being in use, and instead it being more a reliance on personal preference, which I believe to be a flawed approach in principle.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You also have to consider how badly a stage can screw characters over though. For example: Lylat may seem more neutral then PS1 (a neutral in Texas), but it's arguably Fox, Falco, and Wolf's worse stage due to the tilting screwing over their recoveries a lot. Should a top tier really be CPable in the neutral selection?

PS1's isn't anyone's worse stage. That alone makes it more neutral then Lylat.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I fundamentally disagree with that style of thinking. The thing is that "jank" or a use term of "hazard" or whatever are really quite meaningless. I mean, you listed a bunch of stuff that might happen to cover everything that is in the game, but I could easily make hypothetical examples of stages people would not like that demonstrate the weakness. You never cover the possibility of a stage's left and right sides looping to each other (forcing all deaths to be off the top or the bottom). If such a stage did exist, how would your method approach it? It's not covered on that nine point list, but that's obviously a major gameplay element that probably makes the stage pretty unfair to a lot of characters (assume there are no circling issues). Another example stage would be Final Destination scaled up in size to be as big as Temple. Again, there would be nothing on your list, and it doesn't even contain any unusual elements. It would be an extremely character biased stage, but it's not "janky" at all.

The point is that the "janky" method is looking to make a subjective ruling on stages (it's essentially identical to the "gayness" criteria). There is absolutely nothing objective about it, and I feel as though it's a very bad method that should be discarded with prejudice. A better method for starters is to ask which set of starter stages produces the consistently least character biased outcomes. The "top" stages are obviously not Battlefield and Final Destination, especially not Final Destination which is the best (not banned everywhere) stage for a bunch of characters. I still maintain the least character biased stage in Brawl is PictoChat, and I've grown convinced that second place is between Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 1, and Delfino Plaza.

I have long been willing to work toward a non-optimal but pretty decent compromise starter list of:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1

That would contain elements most people would appreciate while not deviating too much from the norm and also greatly increasing fairness out of the starter portion of gameplay. The optimal set of stages would probably be nine stages, honestly probably removing FD and adding PictoChat, Delfino Plaza, and Castle Siege.

I also disagree about Lylat Cruise being bad for certain recoveries. It's possible to recover consistently there with the whole cast if you learn the right way to go about it, and honestly by now, I don't see why everyone hasn't done that already.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I fundamentally disagree with that style of thinking. The thing is that "jank" or a use term of "hazard" or whatever are really quite meaningless. I mean, you listed a bunch of stuff that might happen to cover everything that is in the game, but I could easily make hypothetical examples of stages people would not like that demonstrate the weakness. You never cover the possibility of a stage's left and right sides looping to each other (forcing all deaths to be off the top or the bottom). If such a stage did exist, how would your method approach it? It's not covered on that nine point list, but that's obviously a major gameplay element that probably makes the stage pretty unfair to a lot of characters (assume there are no circling issues). Another example stage would be Final Destination scaled up in size to be as big as Temple. Again, there would be nothing on your list, and it doesn't even contain any unusual elements. It would be an extremely character biased stage, but it's not "janky" at all.
woah woah I think you misunderstand, I'm not at all suggesting this method is the right one, it just appears to be the method in use, the status quo if you will. Competitive players seem to labor under the illusion that Jank = uncompetitive. And to prove this I've used logic to afford myself a consistent outlook, which would not include hypothetical stages with game play that doesn't even exist, only the stages that Brawl came with. It's my way of understanding how these stages got so popular, in other words. I didn't get involved in Melee until after Brawl, so I cannot speak to the mindset of players that made the transition, but it's been mentioned that the rule sets involved were adopted directly from Melee, which means so too were the stage list mentalities.

Imagine a player putting in Brawl for the first time, and going to brawl his friend (we'll assume SSE is unlocked). He picks... pictochat, and lolz ensue b/c instead of brawling they're busy avoiding spikes, trying to keep up on the conveyor belt, just all this nonsense. Immediately an impression is made *(first impressions are the most lasting) "this stage is not competition worthy."

now, as the months pass, and the stages get practiced on, more and more stages become viable for tournament, and theoretically the banned list should be reduced bit by bit, until you're left w/LinkShot's list (which I wholly endorse). So basically pictochat DOES eventually become viable for competitive play, but not right away, and certainly not universally.

The point is that the "janky" method is looking to make a subjective ruling on stages (it's essentially identical to the "gayness" criteria). There is absolutely nothing objective about it, and I feel as though it's a very bad method that should be discarded with prejudice. A better method for starters is to ask which set of starter stages produces the consistently least character biased outcomes. The "top" stages are obviously not Battlefield and Final Destination, especially not Final Destination which is the best (not banned everywhere) stage for a bunch of characters. I still maintain the least character biased stage in Brawl is PictoChat, and I've grown convinced that second place is between Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 1, and Delfino Plaza.
Not necessarily subjective, just all encompassing. It is a way to categorize and order the stages w/o even considering character bias. If you were to meld the list with a second list that does take into account character bias, but completely ignores "jank" ... then somehow cross connect them, then maybe THAT stage list presented would be better than either one alone. But you first have to address the smashers who are innumerable and look at stages like pictochat and say "meh, this stage is gay, lets strike it from the roster." Such rulings do go without much thought involved, simply an avarice towards the jank. Think of each stage as being on trial and guilty until proven innocent. Guilty of, having a walk-off, guilty of, having too many distracting transformations, too many hurtboxed animations, too high a % dmg'ing hurtboxed animations, etc etc. Each of the criterion in my list are so listed because they each introduce a dynamic to the stage that affects the brawl character during the match. Either you have to move out of its way, or shield, or avoid it, etc. At least on the stages with low to none of those elements, the brawl can focus on itself at the maximum, because there's already enough going on with each character's own dynamics, to have to think about the stage characteristics.

This REALLY dissolves down into people who want the SF experience in Brawl. And to break that mindset, you have to really first take everyone a step back and re-learn them. This. Isn't. SF. "Well I know it's not, I don't have a life bar." no, it's more than that. SSB is different to the point that even trying to make it anything like SF is immediately going to unravel the game.

When I first showed up on these boards I jumped right into the ban MK thread and got flamed right back out, lol. "We're not playing Mario Party here." ? Shoot, OBVIOUSLY, but by banning characters, stages, (yes, even items IMHO) you're not playing brawl anymore! You're ... doing like you said, playing a mini-game within the Brawl engine, and calling it Competitive Brawl. Maybe the exact nature of competitive brawl has to be re-examined. I don't doubt for a second that this game was partially designed w/the Melee competitive scene being watched like a hawk. Why else would they throw in tripping? It's what us old-schoolers call typical Nintendo bull****. Any sequel to a game that you play, the moment you try to do some broken tactic that took you 5 months to master in its predecessor is immediately punished, and useless, so that you have to re-learn everything. They didn't have the Smash community at their disposal to test brokenness, so things did slip through, like D3's standing infinite, MK's IDC, or did they? Who knows what was really a glitch slipping through, or an oversight, and what wasn't.

I have long been willing to work toward a non-optimal but pretty decent compromise starter list of:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1

That would contain elements most people would appreciate while not deviating too much from the norm and also greatly increasing fairness out of the starter portion of gameplay. The optimal set of stages would probably be nine stages, honestly probably removing FD and adding PictoChat, Delfino Plaza, and Castle Siege.
Well gosh, this is both promising and kinda... delusional, lol no offense, but srly, pictochat a starter? If and only if the very definition of Starter changes. It was originally meant to replace the term "neutral" but now Starter's ... starting to dissolve back into a simpler form of logic, the stage the first fight takes place on. That's not gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Again I am ALL for a liberal stage list, but I'm speaking on the points of those masses you (and ultimately, the handful of us in this thread) wish to educate, for the sake of the metagame and for the sake of the future of Brawl. Guilty until proven innocent. I reiterate because that IS the status quo. And pictochat in particular is guilty of several of those List elements, which betray neutrality (in the mind of a jankless player).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Guilty until proven innocent is a moronic approach. There's just no other way to put it. "Jank" still means literally nothing; it's a way people use to say "we don't like these stages so let's not play on them".

There is serious competition in terms of outlook here. The perspective you describe is one camp, but I'm not convinced they're even a majority. They are just really, really loud. They're trying to force a status quo of what you described by very loud complaining and faking a public mandate for these stage rules that introduce huge character biases for no good reason. Don't be fooled into thinking no one supports liberal stage rules; there are a lot of people who do who are being misled into thinking it's a niche position.

I know how the people who want to play on 3 stages think well; I'm just saying what's actually right. The list of 7 is what I would deem a politically reasonable compromise with them; PictoChat as a starter and such is what's actually right. It should be clear that there's no "definition" of starter; some people say it is what you're trying to say (which is basically saying "our favorite stages"), but it isn't uncontroversial and what I'm saying is not any less legitimate (and there are many people who agree with me; I'm not just a random nut).

Accepting what certain pushy and loud people are saying about stages as the status quo would be the biggest mistake we could make.

buenob

Smash Lord
innocent until proven guilty is just as rediculous... it's the exact same bias just in the opposite direction...

this "camp" you speak of happens to be some of the best of the best, disregarding what they say would be one of the biggest mistakes we can make..

starter is _not_ my definition of my favourite stage, because it would just be Battlefield and that's it... what you are saying is legitimate, except that I disagree with you, and therefore we are having this discussion :)...

going back a bunch of posts, specifically to your post on norfair AA, I have to say that you truly brought up new points about the level, and made me re-think my position on it... but I ended up coming to the same conclusion (that it's borked) because being _on_ the ledge is worse than being off it in terms of options (forced invincibility frames) and since no one really has to be worried about gimps, whoever is off the edge can position themselves however they want to deal with the person hanging on the ledge

I am convinced that the majority of players don't want a crazy liberal stage list... I completely agree that testing should happen, but to force it to happen at a tournament is kind of unreasonable on our part...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
innocent until proven guilty is just as rediculous... it's the exact same bias just in the opposite direction...
No, it's not.

There's a reason why the legal system is based on having the defendant innocent off the bat, while the prosecution has the burden of proving guilt. It's impossible to prove a negative.

That's logic.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Guilty until proven innocent is a moronic approach. There's just no other way to put it. "Jank" still means literally nothing; it's a way people use to say "we don't like these stages so let's not play on them".

There is serious competition in terms of outlook here. The perspective you describe is one camp, but I'm not convinced they're even a majority. They are just really, really loud. They're trying to force a status quo of what you described by very loud complaining and faking a public mandate for these stage rules that introduce huge character biases for no good reason. Don't be fooled into thinking no one supports liberal stage rules; there are a lot of people who do who are being misled into thinking it's a niche position.

I know how the people who want to play on 3 stages think well; I'm just saying what's actually right. The list of 7 is what I would deem a politically reasonable compromise with them; PictoChat as a starter and such is what's actually right. It should be clear that there's no "definition" of starter; some people say it is what you're trying to say (which is basically saying "our favorite stages"), but it isn't uncontroversial and what I'm saying is not any less legitimate (and there are many people who agree with me; I'm not just a random nut).

Accepting what certain pushy and loud people are saying about stages as the status quo would be the biggest mistake we could make.
Believe me, I respect you lots, AA, I just find it difficult to agree that the status quo has been built by nothing more then a handful of moronic loudmouths who are missing the big picture.

Check this: these are various recent tournaments from various regions, I actually stopped after a few cause the picture is clear on who is the majority; on what the status quo reveals.

Pound 4 Neutrals:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

WF09 Neutrals:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Island
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville

World HOBO 2 Neutrals:
-Smashville
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Yoshi Story
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Lylat Cruise

Icy's 6 (NE Region) Neutrals:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island

Sector B 2 (Mid-Atl region) Neutrals:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville

December Decimation (Ontario) Neutrals:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

FIU Smash 5 (SE region) Neutrals:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Island
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville

ITTP (MW region) Starters:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island
-Lylat Cruise

Literally ONE tournament with more than the normal 5. These 5 stages, the same 5 stages I outlined and why they are so-chosen... are still it. And nothing will change this, until we start seriously deciding what's so special about them. It can't just be "those are the favorites." It may be true that they are favorites, but that is actually incidental and irrelevant. The real question is WHY they are so favored, and my only answer (so far) is the lack of stage elements. I don't have to use the word "jank," I can just call them stage elements, stage... stuff. whatever, lol the point is these things that I listed are indeed absent for the most part if not altogether in those 5 stages, and thus they constitute the general idea of what is "neutral" in this game, and so they are named Neutral (or Starter).

It's important to start addressing this because you have to start somewhere. Hashing out a 9-starter list, for example, is great, but it won't sell unless it can be demonstrated why the other 4 additions to the current 5 (or the removal of one like FD, and adding a new 5th) are worthy of neutrality. And that can't be accomplished until it's been determined just what makes a neutral a neutral. If it were so easy, vets like Bobson wouldn't still be laboring under the definition, as too am I. I -can- however work backwards from the current trend, the status quo, and deduce the why.

The other option is to consider Neutrals as stages whose skewing of matchups (or matchup ratios as sunshade mentioned) is reduced to the least. I'd buy this definition, if that's what was really happening, but it's not... FD shouldn't be a starter under this criterion. BF even. A broad Starter list with plenty of striking room may be a good alternative to the 5-stage starter list, but that is really just ignoring the problem and throwing CPs in there to satisfy the necessities of a minority. We want to reverse this, to broaden minds, so the metagame can grow beyond what you so well put, the mini-game. To do this we need some way of demonstrating the importance of stage elements as being a part of the metagame, not something that impedes it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nidtendofreak, if playing Star Fox teaches you ANYTHING AT ALL, it's that you need to aim WHERE THINGS WILL BE.
No.

If anything, it should teach people how to do a barrel roll.
Press Z or R twice.

I agree with Meno. I only wish everybody would go by this philosophy though. :urg:

buenob

Smash Lord
I can state any positive as a negative (you just got math'd)

anyway back to the justice system analogy, I totally believe enough evidence has been given to support the current "status quo" as correct... to me, a lot of the arguments people make over and over have been proven wrong... but then people on the other side see "our" arguments as being stated over and over again and been proven wrong...

the difference between the justice system and brawl is that in the justice system there is a "right" and in brawl there is just "preference"... on top of that, every day old "laws" are being challenged, but it's not until enough evidence is brought forward to dispute the validity of the old law that these discussions come into effect, and the burden of proof is on the people wanting to change the law... so... guilty until proven innocent

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I wonder what people would do if Battlefield, FD, and Smashville didn't exist. (Take out Yoshi's and Lylat, too!)

Perhaps this is how we could find our "middle ground"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom