• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
What's the best way to get past some mental block or something, because I seem to have fallen into a slump. o-o I used to be able to move fast, & keep explosions going constantly, but then I went through a time of not being able to go to tourneys or practice, & now i'm doing pretty bad. So does anyone know how I can get out of this funk? >_<

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What's the best way to get past some mental block or something, because I seem to have fallen into a slump. o-o I used to be able to move fast, & keep explosions going constantly, but then I went through a time of not being able to go to tourneys or practice, & now i'm doing pretty bad. So does anyone know how I can get out of this funk? >_<
For that problem, 2 words, training mode.

For example, i had to go visit family in the mountains 2 summers ago. Well when i was up there all i had was them and my wii. So when i wasn't spending time w/them i was in training mode just messing around with splosions and how to chain them together in new ways. It actually made my game alot better just cuz of that practice.

tl;dr training mode will solve simple problems like that. As for other types of barriers like you can't figure out what you're doing wrong i suggest 1) take at least a 2-4week break from brawl or 2) Learn another character for a tourneys length or so.

I think you find out a lot of crazy things if you simply sit down and play for a few hours against nothing but the CPU and stages on random. For example, I never knew that falco/fox/wolf were invincible for a single frame that they reflect something until it happened in a CPU match. Or the fact that certain jab moves will end in a wind box similar to Pits UpB upon being used, or TL Dair into the ground pushes people away. The effect is greatly reduced and for a short time, but it is there.

There are some less than important things like the CPU acts really dumb if you do nothing but walk around it. They rarely if ever attack if you walk like just outside there attack range. A lot of times they will randomly run away for no reason. I don't understand it.

Edit: I really need to read the stuff above the last post in a page :p
I'd say just try to think about forcing yourself into a habit. Another example. For the love of pineapples I cannot l-cancel -> shine into stuff other than wavedash (in melee obv). So, to break that habit I have to force myself to think to do the inputs of an aerial rather than the habit I fell into.

You should try thinking about what you want to do before doing it. Try making the choice mentally before doing what feels right. Sort of hard to explain, but making a mental choice of what to do next seems to help break down my habits.

So if you are not moving as fast as you like, then think about the whole process. I want to jab -> ftilt, but I am not getting the timing right either by doing it too fast or too slow. Do it once and concentrate on why it did not work. I got a jab -> jab, okay too fast. Do it again, but force yourself to slow down. Using your brain to put the brakes on or the training wheels on again usually always works for me.

Uhh... Hopefully that was actually useful in some way.

lol We all need that time for those things because getting your arsed served to you time after time against people loads better than you doesn't really work too well at getting things down quickly. I remember it helped a lot when learning how to not die from melee stuff, but the movement thing was really something you had to do on your own.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My powershielding became pretty beast after all this training with CPUs.

Sometimes, I'll just play No stock, 60 minutes matches and just play in one burst against an aggressive CPU like MK to try new stuff. Works for me.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Crouch.

I'm being serious.

Utilt/Nair are to slOw, and jab can be really difficult to space. Pivot grabbing doesn't work for some reason.

:phone:

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
I'd assume crouch always goes under the grab part... couldn't the kick hit if he starts far enough away?

Ftilt doesn't work either?

Attila_

BRoomer
The spacing is too hard. And it trades with the kick.

If he starts the kick far away, shieldgrab it. Kick is way more punishable than the grab, so diddys use it less.

After he goes over you, ftilt, dash attack or dash grab.

Even then, most of the time you won't be able to punish it.

That move ***** this mu.

I'm sure dodge/roll works as well, the only issue is timing it right so they go by as you lose the invincibility frames.

There are only a few times I would ever see Diddy use his OverB. Recovery offstage, from the ledge, high above the stage, when there are bananas and stuff on the ground to trap snake into making mistakes.

Offstage, Bair is probably the best bet you have. Above the stage there is not much you can do except maybe follow up with a dash attack/dacus near his landing point. From the ledge, or when snake has limited options depends. You have to make a quick decision about what to do to avoid getting hit and some were already mentioned.

Shmot's right. Duck. Dodging or rolling risks snake getting caught anyway unless you time it really well. Trying to attack is difficult as well due to making sure you get the timing right or else you will trade a potential kick, etc.

-Ran

Smash Master
An occasional mind game that will work is if you are F-Tilt 1 distance from the stage, you can boost grab and catch Diddy off Guard. Dash will usually beat it as well, since it throws off their timing.

lightvash

Smash Cadet
there's this jump i keep doing that's like... shorter than a short hop... i don't know how to do it but i think it's the same as the little jump u do when u run off the stage... anyone know what I'm talking about???

What is the name for a full stool that jumps you up really high if you hold the jump button long? And what is the name of the opposite sort of footstool. I never heard of anyone refer to them before as different names. Feather footstool doesn't seem right, but I suppose I am wrong.

lightvash

Smash Cadet
feather footstool?? but it's off the ground... like run off the ledge and do a bair.. u see he's above the stage a little? that's what I do but without jumping off the ledge lol

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
I feel really bad, but how do you keep Luigi out?

So after he gets past nades and such, he's about a character length of two away and is jumping with a fireball.

Don't stand like a statue being intimidated by an approaching plumber at close range. You have to move around a bit to mess up their spacing

You can dash or walk away a bit, throw out an attack, shield, duck, roll away, walk away with a nade, SH -> airdodge, etc. There is no guaranteed method (stuff changes), but being on the move in some way is really necessary or else you make yourself an easy target to space. You need that movement to keep their spacing off and punish mistakes in spacing. Although, don't do something that gets you hit obviously.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Can someone explain to me our air release cg on falco?

Like is there any buffered required? Do we have to dacg? How hard is it?Explanation of input process please?

1. Grab Falco. (Obvious)
2. Wait. (Another obvious)
3. Throw in some pummels for the hell of it.
4. Watch them struggle in the air ._.
5. Falco is released and no window to buffer.
6. Hope against hope no dayum platforms get in the way.
7. Dash with all your might.
8. C-stick Down for that iconic snake barrel roll.
9. Cancel your barrel roll with a grab.
10. Repeat.
Just having fun :p

Just wait for Falco to release. Then quickly dash -> c-stick down -> grab. There is no buffering the dash. And that is about all there is too it. I could probably check, but if it is anything like Falco, you only have a 1-2 frame window after starting dash attack to cancel it with a grab. You get a boost, but not a large boost.

The reason for using c-stick down is because from standing still there is a small window where a dash forward is part of the input for a fsmash if you press an attack button along with it you will cancel your initial dash into a fsmash. But to wait out that window is too long. So instead you make the input for a dsmash during the dash, but you cannot cancel dashes with Dsmash, so the game reads it as a dash attack instead. Thus giving you a faster means of doing a dash attack from standing still. So from there you have the ability to cancel the dash attack in the first couple frames with a grab. Okay, now I have gone over board with the explanation.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
No thanks. Cuz i actually enjoy fd vs falco more than bf but since i have yet to master the air release i haven't bothered. (just the potential for it on fd is pretty good...it's guarenteed fresh kill moves when he's at mid %)

Attila_

BRoomer
more than anything, falco has extremely limited recovery options on fd.

when he's offstage, he shouldn't be getting back on.

Edgeguarding Falco is a pain. Normally there is never enough time to properly set-up to stop his options from the ledge. And any other options feels like a hard read. And getting onstage with lasers is another pain in the arse when your expecting phantasm >_<
Maybe I am doing it wrong. Shmot, show me your videos.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
more than anything, falco has extremely limited recovery options on fd.

when he's offstage, he shouldn't be getting back on.
Pretty much why i like it more than bf...it also makes it harder for him to juggle us cuz he can't use platforms as the starting points for his ridic. jump.

Air release cg to edge--->fthrow--->setup edgeguard--->profit

Attila_

BRoomer
I didn't get any falco matches recorded last tourney, but I played one.

On Fd, falco's recovery is limited to aiming for the ledge, or trying to go through you.

Utilt beats his sideb really convincingly, so you can punish any attempts to get on stage. So this forces him to the ledge.

Then he's kinda stuck there. He has to pass through you to get on stage. And utilt beats everything.

Adapt to his mix ups (ledge drop
Bair, ledge drop airdodge, ledge jump whatever), and don't get baited.

If he tries to go over you, dropping a nade a quarter of the way from the ledge is a good tactic. He should get hit by you, forced to ledge, or hit by a nade. If you have time, a mine is better.

Play around with it, and don't commit to an attack until youre sure of what he's doing. Don't get faked out.

Attila_

BRoomer
Iirc the furthest jab hitbox combos the best. Any of them should combo an aerial opponent. It doesn't combo into jab3, though.

The innermost hitbox is the only one that can jab lock.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
How do you guys train your DI? Anyways in particular that could show improvement easy? Sadly while i've got my teching really up to snuff my di is rather inconsistent.

Since Kuro got my interested I finished my list.

Inner Jab -> Ftilt (No SDI) Guaranteed
-MK
-Falco
-Olimar
-Pikachu
-Fox
-ZSS
-Luigi
-G&W
-Kirby
-Jiggs
-Squirtle

This list is a lot shorter than I thought. However, this all assumes you are frame perfect with jab -> ftilt. Like Jab IASA is on 15, that means you have to have ftilt come out on frame 16 or else most of these characters will escape anyway through power shielding. That or have a really decayed jab. It reduces their hitstun by like a frame allowing them to power shield a frame faster.

I was hoping to find a jab -> utilt guarantee since it looked so promising. Oh, well. Shmot is right anyway. The spaced jab is better as it makes sure you are spacing, and popping people into the air lets them enter landing lag or aerial lag if their move does not auto cancel in the first few frames.

My DI has always been through trained reaction or focus. Like, certain animations you just build a reaction to DI. For example, throws are probably easy to DI depending on the character. Think of Rob and he starts pummeling you. Just DI up incase he decides to fthrow/bthrow because they are quick throws. But if you start seeing the animation for Uthrow or Dthrow, you switch Di to the side since they are long animations. The same can be said for most smashes. The start-up lag is long enough that you can usually manage to react and DI the right direction.

The other part is being self aware of your character and you seem to be able to react more quickly. I do not think there is any proper way to train other than to get hit a lot and build up the reaction to DI in a certain way when you see certain animations. Although, it has gotten me into trouble.

Attila_

BRoomer
I'm a very big fan of predictive di.

Whenever you think you're gonna get punished, mash your di inputs before it actually happens.

I've been doing this for ages, and it's given me quite a reputation.

And if they miss a punish, you'll probs do an usmash, which isn't that bad anyway.

Top Bottom