• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Online Discussion ::.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
dk is the monkey said:
ya i hope they get 4 caracters online possible and i guess ranking will come in a patch
I don't understand what the problem would be. I wish they would release more information.

Zink

Smash Champion
Look at how bad games like Halo lag. Now consider how big of a factor lag would be in SSBB- a fraction of a second could mean hit or miss, and potentially the match.

I think they're not going to do 4P online unless they are absolutely certain there will be no lag, and then some.

As for patching, I'm pretty sure there isn't enough room for any important new stuff like a stage of character. Consider that there's the Virtual Console and also other games might use patches too- that's too much strain on a 512. An attachable hard drive- maybe. Probably woudn't help that much.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Zink said:
Look at how bad games like Halo lag. Now consider how big of a factor lag would be in SSBB- a fraction of a second could mean hit or miss, and potentially the match.

I think they're not going to do 4P online unless they are absolutely certain there will be no lag, and then some.

As for patching, I'm pretty sure there isn't enough room for any important new stuff like a stage of character. Consider that there's the Virtual Console and also other games might use patches too- that's too much strain on a 512. An attachable hard drive- maybe. Probably woudn't help that much.
Halo only lags when a someone gets host with a bad connection. Also halo plays with more than 4 people. I don't think it should be that much of a problem for SSBB.

Meta_Geno_Knight

Smash Cadet
For lag, tell people to get better coms. I hate when I play online and somebody lags on there end, and it messes me up. This is real what I am about to say

I was playing smackdown vs raw 2006 online, I had the best connection. I saw somebody join my room to fight, with 1 star less, and I started the match as a self-made Jin Kazama, with the help of my brother. I could barely press ANY button, i had to press the button 2 seconds earlier. I was like WTF!!!! II told the person, did it lag for you very much? He said "No lag, but it only happens to people with the same star as me, or higher", so i'm like, ok what? Is the system giving him some of my speed or something? I told him it was very laggy. He said "Fight people with the same connection as you. You know how much of a ***** fighting even 4 player would be?

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Meta_Geno_Knight said:
For lag, tell people to get better coms. I hate when I play online and somebody lags on there end, and it messes me up. This is real what I am about to say

I was playing smackdown vs raw 2006 online, I had the best connection. I saw somebody join my room to fight, with 1 star less, and I started the match as a self-made Jin Kazama, with the help of my brother. I could barely press ANY button, i had to press the button 2 seconds earlier. I was like WTF!!!! II told the person, did it lag for you very much? He said "No lag, but it only happens to people with the same star as me, or higher", so i'm like, ok what? Is the system giving him some of my speed or something? I told him it was very laggy. He said "Fight people with the same connection as you. You know how much of a ***** fighting even 4 player would be?
Well in this case... you can't get a better wii. So it is all about connection. That is why Xbox Live does not lag unless it gives someone with like DSL lite host.

sligmasta

Smash Cadet
i personally think the lack of a ranking system is a good thing. in games like halo and splintercell you always play with people about your own level. and you never end up playing with people alot better than you, so you dont get to see people alot better than you play and learn from them.

Also, with a ranking system people end up all playing the same way, like with splinter cell. me and my friends used to system link it all the time, and we all developed our own style. but when we got xbox live everyone played agro spy, and everyone merc'd the same. and the way it turned out we had to play exactly like they did to win. and i dont want to do that to smash bros. one of my favorite things about smash bros is that everyone has there own personal style, and online play seems to diminish that.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
Zink said:

I'm guessing you haven't played the first Smash online with 4 players...

Undrwings

Smash Rookie
UNKN{OWN}iXi said:
I'm guessing you haven't played the first Smash online with 4 players...
wtf? Are you saying you managed to play the original ssb online? :laugh:

nuro

Smash Lord
Undrwings said:
wtf? Are you saying you managed to play the original ssb online? :laugh:
Actually, yes. There's a way to play SSB64 online with emulation. Isai plays, but the general community is small.

I think the site for it is ssb.emulation64.com

Be warned its very confusing and lag is sometimes an issue.

Sensai

Smash Master
The guy said something along the lines of 'no ranking system' in a recent interview, so, that'll probably stay that way for a bit.

I like the idea of having serious 1v1 matches, and then having 2v2/1v1v1v1 matches. The people playing in the 4 person matches will KNOW it's going to lag, while the people who play in the 1v1 won't expect it to.

If they can just get the 1v1 down, then I'm sure it'll be fine.

Sensai

Smash Master
MewMewKachooTwo said:
I want to be able to observe other people's fights! I don't always feel like fighting, myself.
I would DEFINITELY like this feature to be included somehow or another. I also don't think it would be too hard to do, although I'm not too sure about how all the programming would work.

The way I see it working is that you'd get on your Wii and get Brawl and get it going and go to the Online feature. There you can choose 1v1's, 2v2's (insert your friend's code), FFAs, and also Observer mode, which opens up another menu asking if you would rather spectate some random smasher, or a friend of yours, for which you would put in the FC.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Yeah, but if they're already having problems with 4p online, it will get more difficult with four players + a bunch of observers in the same game.

Sensai

Smash Master
Eaode said:
Yeah, but if they're already having problems with 4p online, it will get more difficult with four players + a bunch of observers in the same game.
Well, then make only the 1v1's specable. (Copyright 2006, Sensai)

I honestly dunno much about any of the programming or lag time that would happen if you DID allow spectating, but it doesn't seem too hard to believe that speccing wouldn't actually make the game go slower, would it?

Eaode

Smash Champion
Well, it wouldn't add much input to the match going on, but certainly more output. And, as realized, spectators may give it that little bit of lag that would make or break a hardcore match.

meteorstorm42

Smash Apprentice
Without a ranking system, noobs will get butchered.

I personally can't find any fun in beating up on someone way below my level.
And getting my @$$ handed to me on a silver platter isn't much fun either.
Do Sakurai and team realize this?
(I'm recalling Halo on XB Connect... ugh...)

On a side note, if online you play against someone who's using a character you haven't unlocked, it could go to a "Challenger Approaching" screen. If you win, you unlock the character faster than in the game.

By the way, why does everyone complain about lag so much? Would it really be a problem with only 4 players?
I have NEVER had any lag in a 4 player Halo2 game. It rarely lags with 6, and occasionally with 8 players. Surely 4 won't be a problem? ...???
I understand if they'd allow observers to watch the match though....
(An observer can't cause as much lag as another player though, right?)

I'm honestly worried about what they're doing with online....
I hope they get it right, but doubt they will :(

Ah well, I can always just get my friends online names and play with them at a moment's notice, no driving 30 minutes to an hour away. At least that's a plus.

Zink

Smash Champion
By the way, why does everyone complain about lag so much? Would it really be a problem with only 4 players?
Yep. Halo can lag quite a lot depending on your connection. And you can bet there will be plenty of people with bad connections. You can't just say "oh get a better connection." That's not fair to them. As I said before, even a second's worth of lag is the difference between a hit or a miss. Plus, Smash would have to track a lot of stuff. Pings would be higher due to more communication between the server and the Wii. The whole match is dependent on the slowest connection. Maybe make connect speed limited games?

Zink

Smash Champion
Actually, I would not worry about rankings too much. There are online thingies like Cuetech that can do stat tracking for games. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Or maybe they could hide the ranking system and just give you your Wins and Losses. When you want to set up a match with someone of you skill level, it uses your win/loss ratio, but there is no rank next to your name.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
That's true, wether or not there'll be a ranking system (hidden or not); I already see my *** being handed to me, and me handing the *** kicking to noobs.

I'm mid-mid skill in my opinion, I need to play friends with better mindgames...

Eaode

Smash Champion
Zink said:
Then people organize fixed matches to inflate their ratio.
Yeah, but then you are getting none of the positive effects of cheating, but reaping all the bad side effects. You get to play with pros, who will whoop your ***, and for what? Because there's no status given to you because nobody can see your "rank"

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
Eaode said:
They could just try to pull off something similar to Counter Strike Source's SourceTV.

I mean again this is a fps game we're talking about, so lag isnt as much of an issue, but if CSS can do it why not smbb.

For those unfamiliar, with SourceTV they have seperate servers that a couple hundred people can join. The serer displays a slightly delayed live feed of the game in progress. Its used a lot for the CAL finals and other important tourneys.

You'd think nintendo would be able to pull off something similar

Rikana

Smash Champion
Not sure if this'd work or not, but maybe online connection should be unlockable as well after all the characters and stages are unlocked. Maybe that way, everyone that connects online won't have a problem with unlocked characters. Since both characters and stages have to be unlocked (this does not include extra gameplays), characters and stages should be easier to unlock. Just a thought though.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
That adds very little lag in my experiance (1ms on average), I kind of want that in SSBB now. (1ms isn't that bad, even for a fighting game)

Watch the pros online!

omgadam

Smash Rookie
Soodey said:
They could just try to pull off something similar to Counter Strike Source's SourceTV.

I mean again this is a fps game we're talking about, so lag isnt as much of an issue, but if CSS can do it why not smbb.

For those unfamiliar, with SourceTV they have seperate servers that a couple hundred people can join. The serer displays a slightly delayed live feed of the game in progress. Its used a lot for the CAL finals and other important tourneys.

You'd think nintendo would be able to pull off something similar
That's excactly what I was thinkingz

Whatever Nintendo ends up doing, I'm sure it'll be fine. I have no doubts that SSBB will be amazingg, in every sense!

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Four player should not be an issue at all:

Red Steel will have come out as a release game. I really doubt anyone would dare make an online FPS that is only two player - it just shows an extreme lack of ambition/ability. Since with Red Steel and possible other games leading the way for online capabilities, Sakurai and his team will have a working case study for how to do it, and how to improve on any mistakes Ubisoft makes. There's really not a whole lot of difference between the workings of different genres of online games - Infact, with only 4 people, SSBB should be a lot easier than an FPS that may demand more players.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
I hope it isn't alot like how DS Wi-Fi works. For Hunters (which I own, but haven't gotten into the online play yet) I've been told that you just kinda get thrown in with random people. With Animal Crossing, you'd have to know alot of details, like a big friend code, and the friend's name and town's name, and a few messy things just to even get started. I'm not too familiar with too many other methods, but I think the standard FPS server selection would work just fine. Anything else I'm sure would be fine too, just as long as it's not too much like DS's Wi-Fi way on the titles that have come out like that so far.

As far as lag goes: No way. I can't see how it can really be possible with your standard wireless output from a router. I mean, it's only 4 players. I used to play alot of Star Wars Jedi Academy online in my time, and I've been in places with 22 or so people and run fine. Yes, with that game, there wasn't as extensive running of animations and commands such as Smash Bros. is, but it was 22 people.

Someone also mentioned making it so you can't go online until you've unlocked all the characters/maps, ect. This I think is a pretty good idea, but some people as soon as they got their hands on Metroid Prime Hunters having nothing unlocked, took it online. They might want to make it so you can get to it right away, I would think. How about this: say the scenario is that Nintendo does a FPS server type set-up for online play. Maybe you wouldn't be able to enter that server if you didn't have certain things unlocked? I say that's pretty fair.

You see, in Hunters you would unlock your other hunters by playing singleplayer, but if you were to take it online and fight someone who had a character unlocked that you didn't, you'd get him. To do the same thing in Brawl I think would severely be unfair. Come on, people. We had to do 20 hours of vrs. matches to get Mewtwo, and other extensive things like that. (Lol but I must admit I was all over the game when I got it... so much that me and my friends unlocked Mewtwo the next day... ahh what a great Christmas that was indeed.)

So yeah. I guess from my perspective, it's kinda looking like a FPS server type deal.

Oh yeah, one more thing: It would only be 4 people fighting at a time, but I think it would be a good idea to have other people join the server anyhow so that they could be spectators and join in when their name comes up in a rotation. I don't know how similiar that is to the SourceTV thing that was mentioned already, though.

VgtPrncfllSyns

Smash Ace
Interesting, I haven't seen it.

Anyways, with the idea of servers being brought up, I think there should be server limitations. I used to play Gunbound, and in it you could only enter certain servers based on your skill level. Of course, there were always free play servers too for all levels.

But something like that, with a hidden ranking system, might work. If you inflate your ratio and can only go in pro servers, well, guess what? You get owned and your ratio goes down until your back into lower level servers.

Top Bottom