• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Online Discussion ::.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I absolutely agree with that. I will unlock all the things and it would show you do have some skill and just don't go on for the heck of it. Also, it would show you actually like the game and don't plan to fool around online. Great idea.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I have a better idea.If you beat the person/people online, you unlock them.This is a good idea for people who want to start online off the bat.BUT if someone doesn't have wifi, they can still unlock stuff in single player

Edit: Metroid prime hunters does this.But only for characters.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
I have a better idea.If you beat the person/people online, you unlock them.This is a good idea for people who want to start online off the bat.BUT if someone doesn't have wifi, they can still unlock stuff in single player

so, your saying that some people can spend many hours unlocking characters in single player, and actually taking the time to accomplish stuff, and then just have some other random online user unlock everything in minutes?!? :urg: your not serious right?

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I am serious.If people don't wanna be going to the same mode over and over just to unlock something, then they can play online mode to unlock things in a standard more funner way.If this worked without any complaints in mph, I see no reason why it can't work here.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I don't think it's fair that a person should have to unlock everything to play online. My 11 year old cousin is dying to get SSBB and play his cousins online, but he can't beat event 50 and 51. And he hasn't beaten all the BtTs yet.

I think it's not to hard to figure out, nobody is forcing you to go online so the spoliers are all on you. You could prevent from ruining stage spoliers but just hosting a mtch, but there's nothing you can really do about characters unless there's a mode that says the opppenent can't pick anything the host doesn't have... I guess that's possible.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I am serious.If people don't wanna be going to the same mode over and over just to unlock something, then they can play online mode to unlock things in a standard more funner way.If this worked without any complaints in mph, I see no reason why it can't work here.
If you are serious, then you are not that bright. If you want a cheap way to get everything, your not a true fan. True fans will do it normally how it is supposed to be done. That shows you don't want to play the game and just unlock everything...it is like cheat codes. That idea sadly sucks.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
If you are serious, then you are not that bright. If you want a cheap way to get everything, your not a true fan. True fans will do it normally how it is supposed to be done. That shows you don't want to play the game and just unlock everything...it is like cheat codes. That idea sadly sucks.
exactly! If you try to void actually playing the game, to unlocck everything in it, you shouldn't have it in the first place.....and unlocking things online??? so spamable

....besides it being stupid, you could just ask friends to let you win, and then you will have unlocked everything in minutes....without even playing the game!!??!!

I mean, if that actually WAS possible, then you could potentially have every person in the world who owns Brawl, EXCEPT ONE, could have unlocked everything, without even playing the game.....it'd be a total waste

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
I want a Mic so badly, just so I can fun of everyone who uses Johns

Me: Oh, guess you like ****, cuase i just force fed it down your throat.

Random Person(Probably Inui): Wasn't my fault, the lag got me and my controller is half broken

Connection Closed.

Me: :-)

Inui: :-(

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Once again, it's not fair to force people to unlock everything to play online. I don't know many 10 year olds that have unlocked FD, or beat all the BtTs.
I know like one. They shouldn't really be online though because they are kind of young and if they want it that bad, unlock it. By the way, what is BtTs...not coming to me.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
It is kind of unfair but some would beg to differ. I personally don't want it but if it was like that, I wouldn't care a bit because I am going to unlock everything anyways. It is not gonna happen so don't get all down on it. You know Sakurai would not do that.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
No online ranking system gets a thumbs down from me.But if they don't have a four player brawl by now,that is unacceptable by gaming standards.I'll play brawl until the next installment comes out,but I'd rather be able to keep fresh playing people online rather than playing computer players mostly.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
ppl keep saying if theres no ranking system it would suck, true but we will always be able to make a ladder on these boards, and this will keep tournaments going more

and the online 1v1 wont lag noticeably unless ur connection sux, simply because the pj64k doesnt lag to bad unless ur connection sux

but 4-player FFA not likely w/o noticeably lag.

personally i wont really care about a leaderboard because leaderboards are usually filled with hackers and cheats

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yeah and then when you face the hackers, they will get pwned to tomorrow again and again because they suck!
I woudn't worry about that, if I have a choice to fight any rank, I will fight anyone, higher rank or not. That is how I would get better and I like to be pretty confident with my abilities.

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
Wtf no online ranking? While they had an online ranking for DS games like Tony Hawk? Nintendo better darn well make an online ranking for this game, which is only their most important and anticipated online game in Nintendo history.

I could care less about 4 player online, that's what casual smash friends are for. 1 on 1 online is where it's at.

Someone adress the fact that it's unfair to force someone to complete the game to play online, you guys know that's unfair.
I agree. It should be like the Mario Kart DS online play where you can race people who have unlocked secret cahracters and karts. I remember seeing some secret characters and going "whoa, who the heck is that?" It inspired me more to get those characters! I think fighting a strange foe online in smash will get players to experience the same thing that I did. It gives more incentive to unlock the characters because you want to know exactly who the heck you were up against and what kind of moves they have.

greenblob

Smash Lord
My priorities for online SSBB in descending importance:
1. Minimal lag. Looking at their track record, I'm assuming that Nintendo's got this covered.
2. Matchmaking without friend codes. Random and rivals is fine (for this stage). Random matches are very likely.
3. Customization. Either that or make the default 4-stock 1v1 without items (something that I highly doubt Nintendo would do). This is the one that I'm most concerned about. Look at MPH, SMSC, MKDS, etc. None of them have customization for online modes (unless you're playing someone on your friends list). Actually, if we're going to petition for anything, this should be it.
4. Non-random matchmaking. Setting up your game in a game room would be nice. This could also work with #3.
5. A way to prevent people from using Action Replay or similar programs.
6. Interaction with other players. If this happens, it'll most likely be limited to people on your friends list.
7. Rankings

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
My priorities for online SSBB in descending importance:
1. Minimal lag. Looking at their track record, I'm assuming that Nintendo's got this covered.
2. Matchmaking without friend codes. Random and rivals is fine (for this stage). Random matches are very likely.
3. Customization. Either that or make the default 4-stock 1v1 without items (something that I highly doubt Nintendo would do). This is the one that I'm most concerned about. Look at MPH, SMSC, MKDS, etc. None of them have customization for online modes (unless you're playing someone on your friends list). Actually, if we're going to petition for anything, this should be it.
4. Non-random matchmaking. Setting up your game in a game room would be nice. This could also work with #3.
5. A way to prevent people from using Action Replay or similar programs.
6. Interaction with other players. If this happens, it'll most likely be limited to people on your friends list.
7. Rankings
Have you played Jump Super Stars 2 online?

I've played many japanese players. Some with lots of lag, some with silky smooth gameplay. It's important to note that this is a Japan release only. There are no American servers.

With this game, you get paired up randomly. Then one of the players has control over all the options. This works out quite nicely. I got to play in a variety of different game types and levels.

Some like items, some liked a few levels, some like time, some liked stock. It's a grab bag.

It's also important to note that instead of having the characters skip around because of lag, the game simply slows the gameplay down to the worst laggers level. Sometimes it was like playing in slow motion Melee. Other times, it was normal.

nuro

Smash Lord
I just want to say that I have changed my mind about rankings now that I have played Jump Ultimate Stars online. About 30% of the game I join 3 people will gang up on me and make themselves tie so they will all get 1st place while I get stuck with 4th place. People like this would surely show up for brawl.

Look at just about every online based game that has a ranking system. The top 10 players are always people who rank up.

Besides, if you really want to see who is the best you mine as well get in the tournament community. There will be countless tournaments for brawl and sooner or later there will be the guys like Ken, KDJ and Isai for brawl.

I really don't care what they do for secret characters on online play to be honest. To me I will eventually unlock all the characters as fast as possible so it really doesn't matter what they do. Although, I do think that they will allow you to unlock every character just by playing online. In SSBM you could unlock a few characters by either going to one player mode or by wasting X hours in multi player mode.
Example would be Luigi. You could either go to adventure mode and get that 2 on the timer of the first stage or you could play multi player with your friends and he would eventually come up to challenge you.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Online play is almost a must in today's market, so Nintendo would only be shooting themselves in the foot by not including it (from a profit standpoint).

I hope they do have online play, and while I have almost no understanding of the technical aspect of online play, I don't think that there will be a problem with frame based timing, so to speak.

I would be very displeased if they pulled a "Halo 2" and made l-canceling a lot easier to compensate for latency in online play (auto-aim).

I am displeased with friend codes, but it isn't that big of a deal.

I feel bad for "Pros" who are going to have hordes of people pestering them online.

Although online does make it easier to beat cocky, loud-mouthed noobs. And I am a fan of pwning noobs so they know their place as "bottom of the gaming tier list".

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
With metriod coming out in august and galaxy in november, it would make since that ssbb would come out between those months. With that being said, it would also make since to get some ssbb online details after next wednesday being so relatively close to release. I dont think there will be any leader boards (but there should be) and it would have to include 4 player brawl or it wouldn't as great and I think they know that.

BentoBox

Smash Master
SSBB's web interface should be like Gunbound's! It would then be perfect =o

Choose your server! Ranking system!

Lobby! Chat! Join a game or Create one! Add ppl to your buddy list!

Create a game! Enable the items of your preference! Choose the map and the type of game!

Wait till everyone enters the room and picks their character and start!

====

If SSBB looked anything like this, I'd cry. But that won't happen =[. Too perfect.

Osi

Smash Ace
I hope they keep unranked records so we are matched up with people our own level in some section of online. Oh, and of course lets all hope there are no glitches that lead to online play becoming a land of unfair advantages. I love playing at work to test my skill, so the idea of having something online to test my skill against great players sounds so fun.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I know that Nintendo would never implement it this way, but I'd really like if an alternate way of unlocking things was just the # of Vs. matches you've played, whether it be online or offline.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Online tourneys

Hey, what you guys think online tourneys wull be like?
I mean, there bound to happen, but do you think they'll actually work out?
I've never been to a real tournement..:urg:
Which is why I'm praying there will be proffesional, well organised, friendly (while very competitive) online tournements..

Anyone here think thats possible, or the idea'll just all on it's face?

beta_prime

Smash Journeyman
I just had a ranking idea but some of you may not like it.

How about once a week or so you have a test kind of to see what your skill level is. A pop up says we must recheck your skill level. You say yes (or no) and you are automatically directed to a flat basic stage FD style where you fight a computer. The computer is set to a certain skill level 3, 3.6, 4.8 and so on. You battle them for five minutes. If you win you play another computer with a higher skill level depending on how bad you beat the previous computer. But if you lose to that computer you skill level is set to one point below the computer's. Like if you lost to a 6.3, your skill level is 6.2. And when playing online you play other players with a skill level on or within one point of your skill level.

Any thoughts on this? I know it's not the world's best idea but it would work fairly well. But somewhat time consuming.

Hotshot672

Smash Cadet
this brings up a good point. Wouldn't fighting someone using a secret characterter spoil the fun of unlocking them?

Wreked

Smash Lord
I just had a ranking idea but some of you may not like it.

How about once a week or so you have a test kind of to see what your skill level is. A pop up says we must recheck your skill level. You say yes (or no) and you are automatically directed to a flat basic stage FD style where you fight a computer. The computer is set to a certain skill level 3, 3.6, 4.8 and so on. You battle them for five minutes. If you win you play another computer with a higher skill level depending on how bad you beat the previous computer. But if you lose to that computer you skill level is set to one point below the computer's. Like if you lost to a 6.3, your skill level is 6.2. And when playing online you play other players with a skill level on or within one point of your skill level.

Any thoughts on this? I know it's not the world's best idea but it would work fairly well. But somewhat time consuming.
I like that idea, has some flaws though.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
this brings up a good point. Wouldn't fighting someone using a secret characterter spoil the fun of unlocking them?
Well, if you don't want to see secret characters before you unlock them, just don't play online until you know you unlocked all of them.

On the topic of viewing matches: Has anybody played Jedi Academy online? Specifically the Duel Mode. Basically, a whole bunch of people join the room, and there are 1v1's with everybody else watching. When one person wins, the loser becomes a spectator and the next person in the queue fights the winner. I think this will work well for Brawl.

Top Bottom