• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NEW Ice Climbers stage - The Summit

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
I'm content with it. I think balloon fighter will be in the game, although not part of my dream roster. Since Sakurai has had such an interest in floating/flying/arial combat and balloon fighter would be a shoe-in for that. Also, Sakurai has a love of the retro, and Balloon Fighter (I'm calling him BF from now on) is a shoe-in there, as well. The fish on this stage (while awesome) further gives evidence to BF's existence. Probably as a fighter.

Oh, but this thread is about The Summit.

hmm....

I'm glad that there will finally be a fun Ice Climbers stage where maybe the CPU's won't comstantly kill themselves. Summit = Awesome

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Ahh this stage looks awesome. The aurora in the background looks awesome. I'm guessing the stage won't be reseting.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Looks like a cool stage, and its funny, someone was just speculating what the next revealed stage would be

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said himself that he considered Balloon Fighter for Melee but didn't want to put him in cause he just wouldn't work as a fighter. I doubt that has changed. But that's also the reason that ATs were created. To bring in characters that they want in the game but won't work as a playable character. Balloon Fighter would be perfect for that category and that's my guess for his role in Brawl.

Oh yes and the summit looks gorgeous! :D

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
The update is so random.... Especially for halloween. Too bad this puts my thought on stages changing a bit for each holiday to rest.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
This looks like an awesome stage to represent my favorite couple. It may be the best (graphically) looking stages we've seen so far. Kudos Sakurai.

Also, it pretty much deconfirms Balloon Fighter, which I never thought would work as a fighter anyways...

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I also love this level. I think so far this one may be my favorite to look at.

I don't think we can say whether this confirms/deconfirms any balloon fighter stuff because the scary fish is in this stage. On one hand we could say that since the fish is in this stage that they have to have some sort of BF somewhere like as an AT or PC, but on the other hand we could say that since the fish is in the IC's stage that the BF is sort of represented as ther inclusion of the fish.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Sakurai said himself that he considered Balloon Fighter for Melee but didn't want to put him in cause he just wouldn't work as a fighter. I doubt that has changed. But that's also the reason that ATs were created. To bring in characters that they want in the game but won't work as a playable character. Balloon Fighter would be perfect for that category and that's my guess for his role in Brawl.

Oh yes and the summit looks gorgeous! :D
That's not true. The reason BF didn't make the final cut was the same reason we had 6 clones in the final roster along with a number of other issues. Melee was rushed to get released as a launch title. As a result, there was less time to perfect characters. Sakurai chose to implement ICs rather than BF because he felt ICs would add a more diverse character and wanted to spend the time on them rather than BF. It had nothing to do with "it not working." That wouldn't even make sense anyway. It's not like BF would be any more complicated than PT or anything...

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
That's not true. The reason BF didn't make the final cut was the same reason we had 6 clones in the final roster along with a number of other issues. Melee was rushed to get released as a launch title. As a result, there was less time to perfect characters. Sakurai chose to implement ICs rather than BF because he felt ICs would add a more diverse character and wanted to spend the time on them rather than BF. It had nothing to do with "it not working." That wouldn't even make sense anyway. It's not like BF would be any more complicated than PT or anything...
Am I wrong, or Sakurai said something that there shouldn't be any aerial fights in Melee.

And to "the Summit":
What happens when the whole stage is under water?

Maggirus

Smash Ace
who cares about balloon fighter? this stage exudes coolness.
=2007=

Hejiru

Smash Ace
It says it continues to sink after it lands in the water. What do you think will happen when it is almost entirely sunk? Will the fish eat the Polar Bear, making it rise again? Or will it completely sink, and then the bird from Ice Climber lifts you up to the beginning? I dunno.

VanillaMummy, you do know that the Ice Climbers are siblings, right?
How do you know? Nobody really knows for sure. ;)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
When it completely sinks you should swim back to the mountain.

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
Yay for new Ice climber stage! I wonder if Icicle Mountain will return?

Hey guys how about we give the fish a name. Sure we could just call him "the fish", but that's boring and uninteresting. So what do you think we should call the balloon fighter fish? Maybe Gimpy Jr., lol.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Anyone remember back in July when there was a topic with a bunch of idiots saying that Ice Climbers wouldn't return because Rumble Falls replaced Icicle Mountain and they couldn't make another Ice Climber stage?

I say we call the fish Daggermouth.

If you can swim that means you can die by falling off the stage, only from up and by the sides right?
You only swim for a couple of seconds and then you sink.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Yay for new Ice climber stage! I wonder if Icicle Mountain will return?

Hey guys how about we give the fish a name. Sure we could just call him "the fish", but that's boring and uninteresting. So what do you think we should call the balloon fighter fish? Maybe Gimpy Jr., lol.
Dunno about you but I'll be calling him BFF FL

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
If you can swim that means you can die by falling off the stage, only from up and by the sides right?
You might start to sink after a while, or if you get spiked, or if you get grabbed by that fish, if I remember Baloon Fight as well as I do.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
you couldn't swim in the great bay shrine in melee so I'm guessing you can't swim in this one.
yea, but that was melee. in brawl i believe you can swim. I believe someone from e for all said in delfino plaza they could swim, and i saw a screenshot of deedee swimming near the fish in the summit stage....or was he floating..hmm.

maybe

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
You can swim for a few seconds and then you sink. How many times do I have to say that?

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I love this stage...it totally blows Icicle Moutain out of the water...(kinda pun intended >.>) I've also decided that since the fish's teeth look similar to the Ultimate Chimera's teeth...that I will be naming him the "Ultimate Fishy."

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Thank god the Ice Climbers actually got a decent stage this time around. Always thought they were an incredibly cool character(s) so it's nice to see I will actually *want* to battle on their home turf this time :chuckle:

Glad that they're sort of integrating new techniques like swimming a fair bit too, instead of just leaving it a "hidden move" of sorts in a very select few circumstances. Sort of like how barely anyone could do Tether Recoveries in Melee but now it's become more of a mainstream move. From the looks of it they'll be having a fair few water stages for some ''hydrogenated'' fun :p (probably not even a word and if it is I used it in the wrong context most likely, but meh >.>)

Chepe

Smash Lord
You know, I was looking through Smashwiki and realized that this stage was probably planned for Melee! Remember the stage only accessible with AR, called "IceTop"? Thats quite a revealing name...

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/IceTop

Or has this been stated countless times?

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Anyways. Cool stage. I wonder how fast the ice slips off and would the controls be wobbly? Gliding navages around it? Ice breakable? Into more platforms perhaps? Does the fish stay above the water waiting for its prey? Questions questions..

Kinda off topic, but what is Rainbow Cruise from?

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Wait, what about when the stage is sliding? Is it like Big Blue when you touch the mountain and you're off the stage?

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Wait, what about when the stage is sliding? Is it like Big Blue when you touch the mountain and you're off the stage?
I'm not sure. But it would be cool if you were being forced backwards while it's sliding. What would happen if you jumped in front of it while it slides?

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
That would be awsome is luigi's mansion was a level available in brawl. Even though there's a stage creator (which I'm determined to get pro at =P) I want there to be loads more official stages (and characters). Psy.

tmock90

Smash Rookie
I think that this stage is going to be one of the coolest new stages in the game! I like how it starts at the top of the mountain and then the top breaks off and you still fight while it's going down the mountain, and then keep going once you hit the water! I think it's goig to be a very cool stage! And definitely better than the ice climber stage in melee ;)

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
I love this stage, but out of all curiousity, who thinks that this wi'll be a majorly played map or will it be forgotten like the ic's stage in ssbm

tmock90

Smash Rookie
I love this stage, but out of all curiousity, who thinks that this wi'll be a majorly played map or will it be forgotten like the ic's stage in ssbm
I think it will be more majorly played because the map layout stays the same, it just moves around and the back ground does different things, and other parts are introduced into the map as you play... but the same basic layout is used throughout the whole battle, unlike in ssbm where the map was constantly changing. So I think that it will be a more marjorly used map than before.

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
An idea...

Hmm...I've been thinking about why the Balloon Fighter fish is in there and if the stage resets and came up with this...

The Balloon Fighter comes, attaches balloons to the platform, causing it to float back up to the start! Plausible? Not plausible?

Top Bottom