• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

zankyou

Smash Lord
Same problem as when zankyou and I tried it before:
_6: View attachment 97381 _5: View attachment 97382

It's strange, because the logical struct composition/hierarchy is the same.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that it's after the relocation table, even though that would still be odd, considering that the new data doesn't have any pointers.
Try padding it beforehand. Like 2-4 lines of 00's. Sometimes structures also need to be aligned by 32 bytes.

Last edited:

VoidedSmash

Smash Rookie
Will removing textures for stages allow the game to run smoother, or will it break it? I'm considering modding several tournament stages' textures for lighter CPU usage in Dolphin.

DRGN

Technowizard
Will removing textures for stages allow the game to run smoother, or will it break it? I'm considering modding several tournament stages' textures for lighter CPU usage in Dolphin.
textures are not going to improve emulation speed very much
On the other hand, removing the objects that said textures are attached to would likely help.

It would unfortunately be an insane amount of work....
Insane? Maybe we just need some complementary insane ideas and a bit of this:

I was thinking (maybe something for us to play with later): it might work to write a script to search for all branches that point to [custom code region in MnSlChr] and recalculate them, while similarly recalculating all branches that are in that code region that point to outside of it. If the script is run on the ISO as a whole, it would know both the offset and destination of the branches; enough to recalculate. Theoretically I figure this should work for all forms of branches, and could even preserve the built-in flags. Of course you'd want to run the script on your MCM library files (in which case it would parse the starting offset for recalculations from the mods, just like MCM does) and any other code files to update your notes with the new references too (in which case you could explicitly tell the script the starting offset). This isn't a fully fleshed out idea, and I don't know how you have everything set up in 20XX, so it's possible I'm missing something game-breaking. But that's what back-ups are for, and if this worked, it may be useful in other ways too. So rather than speaking in terms of individual branches/references that would need to be changed, the new question would be, around how many independent codes are there that use that space? I ask mostly out of just curiosity at this point, since I know we're both busy atm.

Edit:
Try padding it beforehand. Like 2-4 lines of 00's. Sometimes structures also need to be aligned by 32 bytes.
Holy s***, zankyou, that worked!!
20XX04-5.png

Specifically, it was the alignment, since the _5 test was already padded before and after.

Uhh, ok. This is fantastic, but why did that work? Is this an alignment rule all textures need to follow and I just got lucky in the past? I'll need to look into this.

@achilles1515, we could also utilize the space of other textures that aren't currently used (or that are used very little), like the "Camera Control" closed port. That plus a few others and the remaining free space might give enough for 4 unique ports as _3 or _5. We know we can do at least 3 now (or one _6 plus one _5). I haven't yet calculated how much space the palleted types would take up, or checked how good the textures would look in those formats.

Last edited:

VoidedSmash

Smash Rookie
On the other hand, removing the objects that said textures are attached to would likely help.
Hmm. It seems somewhat easy to do that, I guess I'll try and make a barebones version of Yoshi's Island or some other stage that dolphin has issues with for me. Maybe with that + wireframe mode, I'll be able to run Brinstar.

zankyou

Smash Lord
why did that work?
Not sure. It was really annoying though to figure out when I was importing stages because it was the difference between the file loading and not loading. I realized it when I was staring at the display list and how it had to be aligned by 32 bytes and then I noticed some other structures were also aligned the same way. But there isnt a very clear pattern and it seemed kinda arbitrary to me.

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
Is there a reason why this doesn't work on the hack pack but works on vanilla melee?

EDIT: I think it's because I have a modded dreamland actually. welp
Check if the ID is something other than GALE01 and if it is change the name of the folder in load/textures to that. (Ex: 20XX 4.0 is GALE40 so change the name of the folder from GALE01 to GALE40)

Sdmac200

Smash Rookie
Check if the ID is something other than GALE01 and if it is change the name of the folder in load/textures to that. (Ex: 20XX 4.0 is GALE40 so change the name of the folder from GALE01 to GALE40)
Ah ok. I'll have to remember that for the future. The problem was stemming from me having the Super Mario RPG texture over Dreamland. Once I removed it and replaced back to reg. Dreamland, it worked.

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
I need some help on CSS hacking, I'm using the DAT Texture Tool to mess around with character portraits and the like, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the color of the background on the CSS. Some MnSlChar's on the OP have the background and textures on the top and bottom changed in color, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that on my own... Help?

EDIT 1: Also, I don't know why this happens on the SSS when I try to replace textures through DAT Texture Tool, is there any converter I should pass it through or something?

EDIT 2: I think it has something to do with certain colors that Melee can't support, is there any way I could "simplify" the colors so Melee could recognize them?

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
I need some help on CSS hacking, I'm using the DAT Texture Tool to mess around with character portraits and the like, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the color of the background on the CSS. Some MnSlChar's on the OP have the background and textures on the top and bottom changed in color, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that on my own... Help?

EDIT 1: Also, I don't know why this happens on the SSS when I try to replace textures through DAT Texture Tool, is there any converter I should pass it through or something?

EDIT 2: I think it has something to do with certain colors that Melee can't support, is there any way I could "simplify" the colors so Melee could recognize them?
That looks sick :)

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Here are some textures I've made

Name: Vegeta Saiyan Armor DK (Replaces Blue DK)
Made By: Decipio-Carmen
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yzd87t5r6ldnspm/vegeta_ape_DK_PlDkBu.dat

Name: Nel Sheik (Replaces Green Sheik)
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/09sn9visl524x59/nel_sheik_PlSkGr.dat

Name: Dank Memes Marth (Replaces White Marth)
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dwd05526pomodjd/troll_marth_PlMsWh.dat

Name: Hollow Ichigo Marth (Replaces Black Marth)
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vnn3dpg93s8y3lb/hollow_ichigo_PlMsBk.dat

Name: Hollow Mask Stock Icon (replaces Black Marth stock icon in IfAll.usd)
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/1abeweq7xmy7c96/IfAll.usd_0xca200_8.png

Let me know if anything doesn't work or if I formatted it wrong

Last edited:

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie

I read on another thread that Melee's SSS Icons have a Cl8 encoding and an RGB565 palette (or something like that). Is there anyway I can assign a texture a palette in an image editor like Gimp or Paint.net?

DRGN

Technowizard

The problem you have is that your textures are using the wrong palette encoding. Are you importing PNGs or TPLs? I assume TPLs, since PNGs should have their properties detected to determine the correct encoding. Try importing your PNG images without converting them to TPL first.

As for the colors on the CSS, those aren't textures, but are dictated by hex, the addresses for which can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...t-here-in-the-op.247119/page-99#post-14918543

I read on another thread that Melee's SSS Icons have a Cl8 encoding and an RGB565 palette (or something like that). Is there anyway I can assign a texture a palette in an image editor like Gimp or Paint.net?
That's correct. Specifically, if you're looking at the hex, those are indicated as types 9 and 1, respectively. Though the image data or palette in GIMP/Photoshop won't have any such properties, since CI8/RGB565 are encodings used when the TPL data is generated. In other words it's a different way to store the same(-ish) data. It probably won't make a big difference if you don't create the palette yourself in this case. One will be generated for the images when they import.

Last edited:

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
The problem you have is that your textures are using the wrong palette encoding. Are you importing PNGs or TPLs? I assume TPLs, since PNGs should have their properties detected to determine the correct encoding. Try importing your PNG images without converting them to TPL first.

As for the colors on the CSS, those aren't textures, but are dictated by hex, the addresses for which can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...t-here-in-the-op.247119/page-99#post-14918543

That's correct. Specifically, if you're looking at the hex, those are indicated as types 9 and 2, respectively. Though a palette in GIMP/Photoshop won't have any such properties, since CI8/RGB565 are encodings used when the TPL data is generated. In other words it's a different way to store the same(-ish) data. It probably won't make a big difference if you don't create the palette yourself in this case. One will be generated for the images when they import.
To get an SSS icon, I would screenshot the stage in Dolphin, edit it to match to correct dimensions, save it as a PNG with a 32-bit depth, and then import it through the DAT Texture Tree in the DAT Texture Wizard (I probably should've clarified that in my other post). After I import it, it saves only a few colors into the automatically-generated palette, and the other 99% of colors are a deep red.

Should I be importing SSS icon TPLs directly into the DAT Texture Wizard? If so, how would I obtain the TPL?

Oh and thanks for the information on CSS colors :)

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
To get an SSS icon, I would screenshot the stage in Dolphin, edit it to match to correct dimensions, save it as a PNG with a 32-bit depth, and then import it through the DAT Texture Tree in the DAT Texture Wizard (I probably should've clarified that in my other post). After I import it, it saves only a few colors into the automatically-generated palette, and the other 99% of colors are a deep red.

Should I be importing SSS icon TPLs directly into the DAT Texture Wizard? If so, how would I obtain the TPL?

Oh and thanks for the information on CSS colors :)
Which tab are you using to import? There are multiple different ways it can be done (described in the ReadMe). Can you post one of the textures you're trying (and the filename you gave it)? I assume whatever the problem is will be fixed in the next update, since I'm redoing a lot of things, but I'm still curious as to what's going on here. Also, you know DTW has an export feature, right? You shouldn't need to go through all the work of screenshotting and cropping.

Last edited:

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
Which tab are you using to import? There are multiple different ways it can be done (described in the ReadMe). Can you post one of the textures you're trying (and the filename you gave it)? I assume whatever the problem is will be fixed in the next update, since I'm redoing a lot of things, but I'm still curious as to what's going on here. Also, you know DTW has an export feature, right? You shouldn't need to go through all the work of screenshotting and cropping.
Alright, here's an example:

I look at Magic Scrumpy's Silly Melee Build, and I want to extract a SSS icon for... let's say Yoshi's Island, I'd open DAT Texture Wizard and go to File > Open Disc > SillyMelee.iso

Then, in the Disc File Tree, I'd scroll down until I see MnSlMap.usd. I'd open the file, taking me to the DAT Texture Tree, and locate the SSS icon for Yoshi's Island. The icon looks like this:

I'd left-click icon to select it, then right-click it, and select "Export Selected Texture(s)". I'd export the texture, keeping it's original name (MnSlMap.usd_0x163c0_9), to my desktop.

Back in DAT Texture Wizard, I'd go to File > Open Disc, and then select my Melee ISO (this is the one I put my textures and stuff on). Then, in Disc File Tree, I look for MnSlMap.usd again, and open it, again taking me to the DAT Texture Tree. I'd locate the original Yoshi's Island SSS icon, which is this...

Then I'd select it, right-click it, and click on "Import Texture(s)". I'd look for the icon I previously exported, and open it; it's called "MnSlMap.usd_0x163c0_9.png". After that's done, I go to DAT Texture Wizard, and go to File > Save Changes.

...I check the pallete, and it looks like this

NOTE: I replaced the Pokemon Stadium SSS icon, and it's just fine.

DRGN

Technowizard
Alright, here's an example:

I look at Magic Scrumpy's Silly Melee Build, and I want to extract a SSS icon for... let's say Yoshi's Island, I'd open DAT Texture Wizard and go to File > Open Disc > SillyMelee.iso

Then, in the Disc File Tree, I'd scroll down until I see MnSlMap.usd. I'd open the file, taking me to the DAT Texture Tree, and locate the SSS icon for Yoshi's Island. The icon looks like this:

I'd left-click icon to select it, then right-click it, and select "Export Selected Texture(s)". I'd export the texture, keeping it's original name (MnSlMap.usd_0x163c0_9), to my desktop.

Back in DAT Texture Wizard, I'd go to File > Open Disc, and then select my Melee ISO (this is the one I put my textures and stuff on). Then, in Disc File Tree, I look for MnSlMap.usd again, and open it, again taking me to the DAT Texture Tree. I'd locate the original Yoshi's Island SSS icon, which is this...

Then I'd select it, right-click it, and click on "Import Texture(s)". I'd look for the icon I previously exported, and open it; it's called "MnSlMap.usd_0x163c0_9.png". After that's done, I go to DAT Texture Wizard, and go to File > Save Changes.

...I check the pallete, and it looks like this

NOTE: I replaced the Pokemon Stadium SSS icon, and it's just fine.
Ok. Thanks, those are good details. With that, I found the problem; palette encoding, like I thought. I'll have this fixed in the next update. For now, what you can do is use the 'PNG to-from TPL.bat' script (comes with the download for DTW; in the same folder as the program's .exe) to convert the textures to TPL format first, and then import the TPLs into the program. But there's one thing you need to change first. Open the script in a text editor like notepad or something and look for a line near the start that says "set sourceHasTransparency=yes", and change it so it says no at the end instead, and save it. Now you can drag-and-drop your PNG textures onto that script and it'll convert them (you can select them all and do them all at once, and you don't have to move the script/textures to be in the same folder). When you import, the palette may look off at first, but you can ignore that (another problem that stemming from a common cause that will be fixed in the next version). You'll notice that if you select a different texture, and then select back, or reload the file once you've saved it, the palette should look right. Loading it up in game should look good too.

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
Ok. Thanks, those are good details. With that, I found the problem; palette encoding, like I thought. I'll have this fixed in the next update. For now, what you can do is use the 'PNG to-from TPL.bat' script (comes with the download for DTW; in the same folder as the program's .exe) to convert the textures to TPL format first, and then import the TPLs into the program. But there's one thing you need to change first. Open the script in a text editor like notepad or something and look for a line near the start that says "set sourceHasTransparency=yes", and change it so it says no at the end instead, and save it. Now you can drag-and-drop your PNG textures onto that script and it'll convert them (you can select them all and do them all at once, and you don't have to move the script/textures to be in the same folder). When you import, the palette may look off at first, but you can ignore that (another problem that stemming from a common cause that will be fixed in the next version). You'll notice that if you select a different texture, and then select back, or reload the file once you've saved it, the palette should look right. Loading it up in game should look good too.
Hmm... I edited the .bat file like you said and I opened it up, upon dragging a file in, the CMD window closed and nothing happened to the file.

I tried running it as administrator, and then in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and 7. Now when a file is dragged in, the CMD window remains open, but I have no idea where the TPL file is, or if the PNG even converted or not.

Was I supposed to get some sort of message or something in the .bat saying that I converted properly?

DRGN

Technowizard
Hmm... I edited the .bat file like you said and I opened it up, upon dragging a file in, the CMD window closed and nothing happened to the file.

I tried running it as administrator, and then in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and 7. Now when a file is dragged in, the CMD window remains open, but I have no idea where the TPL file is, or if the PNG even converted or not.

Was I supposed to get some sort of message or something in the .bat saying that I converted properly?
You don't need to click on it or open it. Just drag the files onto the icon/.bat file itself. Also, the file names of the textures need to end with an underscore followed by the image type (i.e. _9 in the case of the SSS icons). But they should already have that anyway if they were exported from DTW. You'll see a script window open briefly and then close, and the new TPLs will be created in the same directory as the originals.

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
You don't need to click on it or open it. Just drag the files onto the icon/.bat file itself. Also, the file names of the textures need to end with an underscore followed by the image type (i.e. _9 in the case of the SSS icons). But they should already have that anyway if they were exported from DTW. You'll see a script window open briefly and then close, and the new TPLs will be created in the same directory as the originals.
Oh wow thanks a bunch dude :)

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
shout out to you, and all the other people who are changing characters with this textures instead of just changing palettes. color changes are cool, but Mew over Pichu? frickin sweet! keep up the creative skins, everyone.

bonus shout out to Saxon116 Saxon116 for using my gif in his signature

edit: omg spider man sheik, samus falcon....YESSSSS KEEP EM COMING

Last edited:

SuperColom64

Smash Rookie
I've tried placing the PNG of my desire into the desktop, documents, folders, and other directories, and the TPL isn't being exported to the same directory as the PNG... Heck, I don't even know if it's converting.

I've also tried installing the PNG-to-TPL into the little "send-to" window. Your installer worked just great, however when I actually "send it" to the PNG-to-TPL, I receive no converted file.

Any suggestions? And again, thanks for all the help :p

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
shout out to you, and all the other people who are changing characters with this textures instead of just changing palettes. color changes are cool, but Mew over Pichu? frickin sweet! keep up the creative skins, everyone.

bonus shout out to Saxon116 Saxon116 for using my gif in his signature

edit: omg spider man sheik, samus falcon....YESSSSS KEEP EM COMING
shoutout to you my friend for the gif ;) I couldn't resist it as a ganon main. I've tried to reproduce it but its freaking hard lol

DRGN

Technowizard
Now that I actually tried dragging the PNG into the .bat, the .bat opens up and then closes super fast.

I also tried the PNG-to-TPL installer that you included with the DAT Texture Editor to see if that worked, and the same thing happens: A CMD window opens up and then very quickly closes itself.

Re-downloading DAT Texture Editor and its files didn't fix anything, any suggestions?
That's really weird. Do you have a sample image? (Again, post its file name too.)

Try opening up the script again and look for the option to have the window not close when it's done. Or if you know a little how batch files work, put a "pause" command in somewhere before the script exits. One of these should allow you to see the happenings in the script before it closes. Then you could screenshot that.

If you're still having problems, maybe we should move this conversation to IM, so we don't clutter up Veggies' thread.

YanPerez97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-8240-0200
Switch FC
6728-0518-5684

Sasuke Fox ( replace original )
Credit : Qual
Download

Akatsuki Falco ( replace green )
Download

Akatsuki Doc ( replace blue )
Download

AkatsuPeach ( replace original )
Download

Kira Marth ( replace Red/Black )
Credit : Qual ( textures ) Tichinde925 (Sounds)
Download ( Red, Black, Csp, and original kira voice replacement for marth (video))

Falco Brasil ( replace Red )
Download

Fox Germany ( replace Red )
Download

Gold & Black Peach ( replace White )
Download

Black & Gold Peach ( replace Yellow )
Download

Cloud9 Fox ( replace Blue )
Download

Sasuke Falco ( replace original )
Download

For the Stage section :

HD sreenshot

Dark Hyrule
Download
Preview on youtube

on a side note : Are you planning to download all the skin and save them somewhere ?

To avoid the megaupload effect.

( You already have Sasuke Fox, and akatsuki falco in your list and maybe more, just replace ??? by Qual then =p )

Also if you like my work and you know how to replace a song in melee, i have a small request. Thank you !
NICE :o

Top Bottom