• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hey, you downloaded from Google Drive!

Anyway, did you manually resize that window, which hid the scrollbar and other texture structure properties? Because if not, I'm seeing a huge bug in your screenshot.

And on this subject, I'm really surprised no one has requested that the Material or Color structs be directly editable in DTW. And probably many don't realize the Texture Struct is editable in it now (assuming the screenshot thing is fine). The next version will have a small note that points out that the tree button is a thing (plus many other goodies of course).
Yeah...I figured out how to disable the web filter on my work computer, so I can do whatever I need now.

I did not resize the window. I double click the .exe and that's what it looks like.

WHOAAAA. Just made it fullscreen.....Cool.....

But again, it might be this:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, I figured it was the font size issue if you didn't resize it. What do you think of the program's current default size? Perhaps I should just make it bigger, or at least wider.

But anyways, yeah, texture struct editing is a thing in there now. lol

If you know what any of the unknowns are, let me know.

Last edited:

Agent7300

Smash Cadet
im having trouble with the closed door ports upgrade texture, it wont show up when i put it in my ISO. i am currently using the New CSS icons by Goxplex. if anyone could help thatd be great thanks :d

RushSSBM

Smash Cadet

Cpt. Slippy

Smash Rookie
This can't be ported to the blue (lavender) costume right? I just tried it and it doesn't work I think
I haven't tried that, but I think you're right. It should only work with the pink PlSsPi.dat file. What did you try, just changing the file name?

I'd have to transfer the image files over the blue .dat file in order for that to work. I think I made this the pink one only because I made my Falcon Samus blue.

I'm still new to this stuff, but I can put the files in the Blue (lavender) dat file if you want.

ManofDapper

Smash Rookie
Friendly reminder for everyone to not forget about editing the color structs of a texture, if you feel it is applicable.

An extreme example with AlexIsStarving's C9 puff:

View attachment 96397
Download
This was accomplished by changing a bunch of the color struct hex values from 0xB3B3B3FF to 0x008080FF [teal].
(After noticing many of Puff's skin color structs being identical, I just did a "replace all".)

View attachment 96398

As YvngFlameHow stated, nice work on the textures everybody.

Shoutouts to DRGN as always for DTW.

A little more info about the color structure.
Hold on a sec. I noticed an orange tint much like that teal tint on the modded Yoshis Story "Off Color". (the orange and white one.) I didn't really like the tint but I didn't know how to get rid of it so I just downloaded another one, but if there is a way to remove that tint easily then that would be great. Can anyone shed light on this

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hold on a sec. I noticed an orange tint much like that teal tint on the modded Yoshis Story "Off Color". (the orange and white one.) I didn't really like the tint but I didn't know how to get rid of it so I just downloaded another one, but if there is a way to remove that tint easily then that would be great. Can anyone shed light on this
Yoshi's Story - GrSt.dat
0x32e08 = RGBA of stage lighting shadow

CCCCCCFF is the default.

If you change it to 00FF00FF, you get this:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm working on a DK Texture that I'm almost done with... I've hit a roadblock regarding textures with color palettes. Gonna put it in a spoiler tag cuz it's kinda a long post:

When I open the Blue Donkey Kong costume (PlDkBu.dat) in DAT Texture Wizard, I'm able to change most textures without a palette. But I have no idea how to change ones WITH a palette. Now I somehow managed to change two textures with a palette, but I can't replicate this on the remaining textures that I need to fix:

for the above change, all I did was open the texture in GIMP and changed some colors in its color palette, and when I saved it and wrote it into the .dat file, the colors persisted.

However, some did not:

For the textures that are grey, I have tried overwriting them with the files that kept their color. e.g. writing the texture with offset 0x576a0 to the grey textures (0x96f80). I still get the same thing when I open up the .dat file again. It somehow gets greyed out. I don't really know much about color palettes, does anyone whether or not there's a way around this?

Most of the time, it's OK:

It's not TOO much of a big deal, but I'd love to fix this if I can before I release this texture. The grey textures only show up during some instances, like DK's up B:

Thanks in advanced!

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
I'm also working on a Marth texture. I'm almost done and just working on some final touches. Is there a way change the effects for the color of Marth's sword swing for one costume without changing the color for the others?

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey guys, I'm working on a DK Texture that I'm almost done with... I've hit a roadblock regarding textures with color palettes. Gonna put it in a spoiler tag cuz it's kinda a long post:

When I open the Blue Donkey Kong costume (PlDkBu.dat) in DAT Texture Wizard, I'm able to change most textures without a palette. But I have no idea how to change ones WITH a palette. Now I somehow managed to change two textures with a palette, but I can't replicate this on the remaining textures that I need to fix:

for the above change, all I did was open the texture in GIMP and changed some colors in its color palette, and when I saved it and wrote it into the .dat file, the colors persisted.

However, some did not:

For the textures that are grey, I have tried overwriting them with the files that kept their color. e.g. writing the texture with offset 0x576a0 to the grey textures (0x96f80). I still get the same thing when I open up the .dat file again. It somehow gets greyed out. I don't really know much about color palettes, does anyone whether or not there's a way around this?

Most of the time, it's OK:

It's not TOO much of a big deal, but I'd love to fix this if I can before I release this texture. The grey textures only show up during some instances, like DK's up B:

Thanks in advanced!
Did you try importing a texture without a palette too?

Alternatively, you could actually edit the palette data directly in the file using a hex editor. Their offsets are shown in the Palette tab. Each palette entry is two bytes long. You can get the hex value for red from the other textures that are already working. All the image data is for paletted images is a series of indexes that point to the entries in the palette, so you can actually easily see which entries are being used for what. In your case, this would be pretty quick to manually edit since you're only working with a few colors.

Right now, DTW uses an external program to do the conversion between PNG and Melee's native texture format (TPL). With palettes, it seems to look at the original and then create its own. For this and a few other reasons, I've been writing my own encoder/decoder, which should fix most if not all of these issues, and some other things I posted about here. So with the next update, palettes should be preserved exactly. Though I'm still not really sure what's going on with your problem here, since I would think there would still be some red in the palette after import. Can you post the texture(s) you were trying to import?

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reply DRGN, I found out what the problem was... I was simply using the image offset... e.g.

path --> 0x96f80

when I should have done was specify the palette data offset. e.g.

path --> 0x96f80:0x9b260

Maybe the palettes are in a weird place, like the stock icons.

DRGN

Technowizard
Thanks for the reply DRGN, I found out what the problem was... I was simply using the image offset... e.g.

path --> 0x96f80

when I should have done was specify the palette data offset. e.g.

path --> 0x96f80:0x9b260

Maybe the palettes are in a weird place, like the stock icons.
What about importing using the Texture Tree tab?

im having trouble with the closed door ports upgrade texture, it wont show up when i put it in my ISO. i am currently using the New CSS icons by Goxplex. if anyone could help thatd be great thanks :d
Need more info.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Skins Added to Main Post:
Stage Select Screen Cursor Pack 2 (25 total!)
Yoshi's Christmas Story
Jotaro Kujo
Kirby Ball Colors Pack
Green Feathers
Victini
Mew
Manaphy
Celebi
Blue and pink
Winter Yoshi's Story
Cotton Candy Doc
Autumn Sunset Yoshi's Story
Raiden
Swedish Captain Falcon
N64 How to Play
Adidas Falco
Peco Marth
Winter Dreamland
Eila and Sanya Stadium
Blue GG in Game! font
Dio Brando
Fantastic Fox For Fun Fast Fights
Randall
HB jiggs
Spider-man
Cpt. Samus
Samus Falcon
Zero Suit Samus
CLG Fox
Presidential Elections Pokémon Stadium
C9 Puff Crown

Skins that weren't added due to improper format:
Red Tint Fox (@MattYuk)
Fox Slayer (@Edaren)
C9 Peach (@Citricide)
C9 Puff ( Ceeb_116 Ceeb_116 )
Karasuno Fox (@Heketzu)
Brawl Blue Marth (@Killgore52)

Mifee

Smash Rookie
Has anyone ever been at that point where you're excited to make melee textures and then you have no ideas and stop.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Has anyone ever been at that point where you're excited to make melee textures and then you have no ideas and stop.
That's when you just take an existing one and make it better.

Example:
White Ranger Captain Falcon
  • Brilliant idea, awful execution when looking at the details.
  • No shading on any textures, and all muscle shading has been removed which is what makes C. Falcon so awesome.
  • Most lines are not straight and have varying thicknesses.
  • Somehow doesn't look that bad in-game.
At this point, I'm 100% convinced it was created in MS Paint. Someone plz help it.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
That's when you just take an existing one and make it better.

Example:
White Ranger Captain Falcon
  • Brilliant idea, awful execution when looking at the details.
  • No shading on any textures, and all muscle shading has been removed which is what makes C. Falcon so awesome.
  • Most lines are not straight and have varying thicknesses.
  • Somehow doesn't look that bad in-game.
At this point, I'm 100% convinced it was created in MS Paint. Someone plz help it.

View attachment 96867
i will take a crack at it

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Skins Added to Main Post:
Stage Select Screen Cursor Pack 2 (25 total!)
Yoshi's Christmas Story
Jotaro Kujo
Kirby Ball Colors Pack
Green Feathers
Victini
Mew
Manaphy
Celebi
Blue and pink
Winter Yoshi's Story
Cotton Candy Doc
Autumn Sunset Yoshi's Story
Raiden
Swedish Captain Falcon
N64 How to Play
Adidas Falco
Peco Marth
Winter Dreamland
Eila and Sanya Stadium
Blue GG in Game! font
Dio Brando
Fantastic Fox For Fun Fast Fights
Randall
HB jiggs
Spider-man
Cpt. Samus
Samus Falcon
Zero Suit Samus
CLG Fox
Presidential Elections Pokémon Stadium
C9 Puff Crown

Skins that weren't added due to improper format:
Red Tint Fox (@MattYuk)
Fox Slayer (@Edaren)
C9 Peach (@Citricide)
C9 Puff ( Ceeb_116 Ceeb_116 )
Karasuno Fox (@Heketzu)
Brawl Blue Marth (@Killgore52)
A Jotaro skin? what color and which character?

DX '99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alex1-up
3DS FC
1934-1654-0351
How do I replace the textures for Ice Climbers? Every time I replace them it makes the game freeze when I start a battle with them.

DRGN

Technowizard
A Jotaro skin? what color and which character?
Blue Falco:

How do I replace the textures for Ice Climbers? Every time I replace them it makes the game freeze when I start a battle with them.
Same process as any other character. Although Popo and Nana have separate files. Could be something wrong with the file(s) you're trying. You could verify your process for replacing textures is fine by trying a different ICies costume.
The guy who made white haired marth, shadow dragon marth, Brawl marth, Roy marth, and cats marth is a guy named nifanatic heres his youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAqV3u4ziE
Veggies Veggies

Last edited:

ManofDapper

Smash Rookie
All of the Young links seem to be broken... (lol)

No but seriously all of the young link reduxes w/tights links are broken. Does anybody have these files?

EDIT: The jester young link also leads to nowhere. Young link is hurtin right now.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
All of the Young links seem to be broken... (lol)

No but seriously all of the young link reduxes w/tights links are broken. Does anybody have these files?

EDIT: The jester young link also leads to nowhere. Young link is hurtin right now.
Siro's original posts for the young link reduxes should have updated links, but I had trouble finding all of his posts so I couldn't add them to the main one. As for the jester link, many people have requested for someone to reupload yet no one has.

Thomas Johnson

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Link's shield texture mirrored by the game? Because there's only half of it showing in the texture. I was going to put my school's logo on it, but the design is asymmetrical.

DRGN

Technowizard

Name: Unique Closed Ports (Different images for each port)
Made By: DRGN
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x527z3w0zsdjzxq/Unique_Closed_Ports_-_20XX_Demo_MnSlChr.usd

You can find the offsets for the new textures by simply opening the file in DTW. Also included are the alignment fix and space for HQ/color (_6 type) textures. Note however that this won't work for the current version of 20XX (I know it says 20XX, but this is just a demo, at least for now), so you can't just replace the one in there for this. But you can use this for your own non-20XX build and replace each port with whatever you want!

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , how much work would it be to move the code you have at the end of MnSlChr? I mean, not necessarily just for this, but for other possibilities too. What would you need to do? I'd be willing to help if I can.

Edit: One other thing, the NA/CPU/HMN port control buttons are colored by a hex entry somewhere. If that's found then they could be colored to match the colors of the doors to make it all look even better.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Name: Unique Closed Ports (Different images for each port)
Made By: DRGN
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x527z3w0zsdjzxq/Unique_Closed_Ports_-_20XX_Demo_MnSlChr.usd

You can find the offsets for the new textures by simply opening the file in DTW. Also included are the alignment fix and space for HQ/color (_6 type) textures. Note however that this won't work for the current version of 20XX (I know it says 20XX, but this is just a demo, at least for now), so you can't just replace the one in there for this.

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , how much work would it be to move the code you have at the end of MnSlChr? I mean, not necessarily just for this, but for other possibilities too. What would you need to do? I'd be willing to help if I can.

Edit: One other thing, the NA/CPU/HMN port control buttons are colored by a hex entry somewhere. If that's found then they could be colored to match the colors of the doors to make it all look even better.
Geez. This is crazy awesome. That 20XX one looks fantastic!

It would unfortunately be an insane amount of work for the time being to change the location of everything. A variety of ASM codes referencing the data tables, some ASM being totally stored within that file, and then the entire Debug Menu and all of it's string/enum pointers.

But, when I lengthened the MnSlChr.usd file, I made it larger than it needed to be (just to have some comfort/safety for the future). As of now, there is room for at least one _6 closed port texture data. Try pasting the data at 0x003c8ff0 (20XX MnSlChr) and see if you can change the texture struct to point to that location.

DRGN

Technowizard
Geez. This is crazy awesome. That 20XX one looks fantastic!

It would unfortunately be an insane amount of work for the time being to change the location of everything. A variety of ASM codes referencing the data tables, some ASM being totally stored within that file, and then the entire Debug Menu and all of it's string/enum pointers.

But, when I lengthened the MnSlChr.usd file, I made it larger than it needed to be (just to have some comfort/safety for the future). As of now, there is room for at least one _6 closed port texture data. Try pasting the data at 0x003c8ff0 (20XX MnSlChr) and see if you can change the texture struct to point to that location.
Same problem as when zankyou and I tried it before:
_6: 20XX04-1.png _5: 20XX04-4.png

It's strange, because the logical struct composition/hierarchy is the same.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that it's after the relocation table, even though that would still be odd, considering that the new data doesn't have any pointers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom