• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
It has come to my attention that im going to need some help. I discovered changing the hit effects and got weird.

So i would like to ask for the assistance of anyone willing to help. I want to have all new hit effects for the game. I feel like it would add a fresh look and in the long run be pretty cool. (Obviously this one isnt staying but I didnt know that effect was just a texture in general that changes color depending on the move.)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
It has come to my attention that im going to need some help. I discovered changing the hit effects and got weird.

So i would like to ask for the assistance of anyone willing to help. I want to have all new hit effects for the game. I feel like it would add a fresh look and in the long run be pretty cool. (Obviously this one isnt staying but I didnt know that effect was just a texture in general that changes color depending on the move.)
http://smashboards.com/threads/texture-hacking-effects.369294/#post-17626019

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So we're in a dilemma at the moment. Idk if anyone else has been watching Warriorknight's stream on Twitch (warriorknight made the Green Ranger falcon skin and other original badass ones), but he's using some textures I've never seen before. I keep asking where to get them, but don't ever get responses. Not sure if these are legit textures or if he is just using Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" feature that lets you use higher res images with ease.

Examples:
IMG_0005.PNG

Untitled-2.png

And then this beautiful CSS (which I know if MachRiderz's but I didn't think anyone actually compiled it into a file)
img.png

Anyway...heckle him until he responds! http://www.twitch.tv/warriorknight87

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
So we're in a dilemma at the moment. Idk if anyone else has been watching Warriorknight's stream on Twitch (warriorknight made the Green Ranger falcon skin and other original badass ones), but he's using some textures I've never seen before. I keep asking where to get them, but don't ever get responses. Not sure if these are legit textures or if he is just using Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" feature that lets you use higher res images with ease.

Examples:
View attachment 92304

View attachment 92307

And then this beautiful CSS (which I know if MachRiderz's but I didn't think anyone actually compiled it into a file)
View attachment 92306

Question. How in the world did he get such high quality textures for dreamland when the textures are only 64x64?
Anytime i tried to load a texture that was higher quality than the original it just flat out would not show up.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Question. How in the world did he get such high quality textures for dreamland when the textures are only 64x64?
Anytime i tried to load a texture that was higher quality than the original it just flat out would not show up.
I don't know exactly because I don't know if he is playing on Wii or Dolphin. It's possible to add in higher quality images to the stage file itself, but that's an advanced topic that Zankyou touched upon a while ago (and that DRGN recently displayed with his CSS hack), and involves increasing the file size. As far as loading the images in Dolphin, I always assumed you could just increase the size of the image you place in the texture load folder and it will display it in higher res. I thought that was the whole basis behind the "Melee HD" project. I've never tried it myself but I know it can be done.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
I don't know exactly because I don't know if he is playing on Wii or Dolphin. It's possible to add in higher quality images to the stage file itself, but that's an advanced topic that Zankyou touched upon a while ago (and that DRGN recently displayed with his CSS hack), and involves increasing the file size. As far as loading the images in Dolphin, I always assumed you could just increase the size of the image you place in the texture load folder and it will display it in higher res. I thought that was the whole basis behind the "Melee HD" project. I've never tried it myself but I know it can be done.
Ah okay that's basically what confused me. I took the grass texture for dreamland and tried to pretty much use an image 10x the size of the original and it just didnt work. Maybe ill go back and test it some more.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Okay then it works now. That is odd.
It seems to be really selective about which texture's it chooses to load. For instance the walkway on dreamland. If you replace the texture with something that is massively larger than the original then it doesnt load. However if it is not massive in comparison it seems to load just fine.

Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Why has nobody made a 20XX Redux Version with all the textures (stages and characters) in Redux form? It would be like Melee HD Jr..

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Why has nobody made a 20XX Redux Version with all the textures (stages and characters) in Redux form? It would be like Melee HD Jr..
Speaking of this I think I'm gonna take a little extra time to create better textures for stages for a nice clean stage. Dreamland and pokemon stadium mostly.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman

Examples:
View attachment 92304

View attachment 92307

View attachment 92306

I'm guessing it's Dolphin because of the picture quality.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
If you hold "R" when picking some of the characters, it loads up a redux texture.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
looks great! could you make a redux stage pack we can download when you're done with them?
Well the entire pack will be available once its complete (aside from a few testers) but for now its only gonna be available for dolphin cause im using the texture dump feature and alot of the textures will have to be changed to work for wii's.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
I figure i should let everyone know that all of my texture work is officially on hold. I had issues in the past which set me back which i caught up on. Now its worse.
I upgraded my computer to windows 10 this morning to check it out. After realizing the huge mistake i made later today i reverted back to 7. Well this caused a corruption in my mouse and keyboard drivers so that i cant login to my pc because my mouse and keyboard no longer work. I've tried everything to get it to work and even had some support numbers try to scam me out of $370. So im going to work on getting it fixed but in the meantime my Melee Netplay texture pack and my borderlands character reskin projects are on hold.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon cause there is about 400 MB worth of textures i have edited on the internal hard drive.

DRGN

Technowizard
I figure i should let everyone know that all of my texture work is officially on hold. I had issues in the past which set me back which i caught up on. Now its worse.
I upgraded my computer to windows 10 this morning to check it out. After realizing the huge mistake i made later today i reverted back to 7. Well this caused a corruption in my mouse and keyboard drivers so that i cant login to my pc because my mouse and keyboard no longer work. I've tried everything to get it to work and even had some support numbers try to scam me out of $370. So im going to work on getting it fixed but in the meantime my Melee Netplay texture pack and my borderlands character reskin projects are on hold.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon cause there is about 400 MB worth of textures i have edited on the internal hard drive.
Since those are drivers that are built-in by default, I would recommend just reinstalling your OS to a new/different drive. Then just connect your current drive as a secondary storage drive. Just make sure to have your current drive disconnected when you do the install, to make sure you don't accidentally install to it and overwrite what's on it. Alternatively, if this is a desktop system, you could try a PS/2 type mouse/keyboard (if by chance you actually have any) rather than using USB, since those use different protocols.

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Since those are drivers that are built-in by default, I would recommend just reinstalling your OS to a new/different drive. Then just connect your current drive as a secondary storage drive. Just make sure to have your current drive disconnected when you do the install, to make sure you don't accidentally install to it and overwrite what's on it. Alternatively, if this is a desktop system, you could try a PS/2 type mouse/keyboard (if by chance you actually have any) rather than using USB, since those use different protocols.
It is a desktop system. A $1600 one that honestly has angered me today. But im looking at a usb to ps/2 adapter right now

Agent7300

Smash Cadet

Examples:
View attachment 92304

View attachment 92307

View attachment 92306

where can i get that CSS

EDIT: never mind, read the post. bummer. do want tho

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
After some testing i dont think it is the usb drivers corrupted at all now. I think it's the OS itself messed up. I got the adapter and nothing changed, so im gonna see if geek squad will let me use a windows 7 disk to simply repair my OS installation. And if that doesnt work i may end up losing all progress on my work. Except this time ill be losing about 150 hours of texture work. Please geek squad come in clutch

DRGN

Technowizard
After some testing i dont think it is the usb drivers corrupted at all now. I think it's the OS itself messed up. I got the adapter and nothing changed, so im gonna see if geek squad will let me use a windows 7 disk to simply repair my OS installation. And if that doesnt work i may end up losing all progress on my work. Except this time ill be losing about 150 hours of texture work. Please geek squad come in clutch
Even if you can't fix the OS on that drive, I don't see why you would lose the work. You would just install a new OS to a different drive, then connect your current drive to your setup as an secondary or external drive. Then you can access it like normal and it would still have everything on it that it has now. You'd probably need to reinstall a few programs again, but that's about it. You can PM if you have questions on how to install an OS if you'd like.

BTW, Everyone: I just found out that if you submit a post as the site is backing up (where your post disappears but isn't added to the thread, and it looks like you lost what you've typed), you haven't actually lost your post yet. Instead of refreshing the page, just hit ctrl+z and your post will reappear in the text box, so you can copy it and post again when the site is back. Convenient! I'm surprised it worked actually.

moimoi

Smash Rookie
Can someone make a falco skin that gives him dark fur and a black jacket with a few red stripes? That'd be awesome!

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Well its official. My texture work is gone for the texture pack and for the borderlands skin pack. It would have been fine but the problem ended up being a little more detailed so I have to wipe my SSD clean. RIP all that work

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I have two questions! If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone happen to have Siro's Blue Ready, Go and Game! that they could upload or replicate/re-upload? His links are no longer working. :c Second question is will this still work in 20XX 4.04 Beta on a Nintendo Wii? I tried using the one by antvibe8 and replaced the necessary .usd file however it doesn't seem to have changed so I'm not sure if the file has been renamed to something else 20XX uses as opposed to vanilla melee... Below is an image as to what I am referring to. Thanks!

Last edited:

PKRev

Smash Rookie
NNID
BQQ
Does anybody know how to customize the SSS in melee? If somebody could write instructions for me or link a video, that would be great! :D

Top Bottom