• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

CeLL

Smash Lord
Since Melee Modding has basically increased in popularity pretty noticeably (also supported by the fact that a moddified Melee build was used in BEAST 5) I'm really amazed by the amount of quality content and different discoveries and tools people are developing in order to make Melee hacking available for everyone. I used to make Melee Textures in the past, but I should definetely come back and share more on this thread. I'm also very interested in CSP creation and Stage Edits so I'll look more into that in the future.

So, my question is, is there any information regarding Battle Icons? I saw on this thread a post that showed different edited Battle Portraits that matched the textures posted in the OP, but is there any actual way to replace them?

Also, I noticed there is a Captain Falcon costume of Batman, and it even has the horns. Does this means there is actually a way to add more materials to models instead of just re-coloring the existing textures? (such as hats, accesories and stuff of the sort)

Thanks in advance.
According to Steelia, stock icons are indexed, but their palettes are not near their texture data. As far as I know no one has found them all, but I have seen videos with some custom ones.

About vertex modding, we don't know who did Batman (or Rosalina Peach), but @ Tcll Tcll has been making a lot of progress towards that, and Steelia actually recently released a couple textures with vertex mods.

Aelo

Smash Rookie
According to Steelia, stock icons are indexed, but their palettes are not near their texture data. As far as I know no one has found them all, but I have seen videos with some custom ones.

About vertex modding, we don't know who did Batman (or Rosalina Peach), but @ Tcll Tcll has been making a lot of progress towards that, and Steelia actually recently released a couple textures with vertex mods.
Wow I feel dumb for actually calling the Stock Icons "Battle Icons" and "Battle Portraits"
I hope in the future we are able to freely edit Stock Icons to actually match the alternate textures we add to our own custom builds. I'm a complete noob when it comes to Melee modding, I just know how to create textures and add them to the game, but that's basically it... So yeah, I won't be of too much help when it comes to discovering new stuff to work with.

Steelia is certainly a God when it comes to Melee Hacking. I've been a fan of his work and his efforts since I stumbled across his Melee thread and checked all the files he took the time to sort for others to freely download and modify. That's some dedication right there. So well, I hope to see more original textures with additional details. I'll have to stalk him a little bit to see how he's doing with that.

Definetely looking forward to the upcoming content on this thread and on the Melee Modding Community in general. Great work.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
heh, I actually have an old video with a VERY choppy and unstable vertexing method...

I don't like referencing it because of how hard it is to make sure you're doing everything right :/

but here's a small tut I wrote someone with the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChF9b2Bffg

you can get the blender 2.49 scripts here:
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/5031...opment-project?p=436127&viewfull=1#post436127

at the end of the video, I mention GL being disabled as I'm using a crummy DX recorder unfortunately...
it was free and did better than the Fraps I got... lol
anyways, here's the image I talked about posting:

if you'll take note, I never deleted the vertices in the video.
I think it was H to hide and Alt+H to show...
(havn't played with blender in a while) :p
this stuff is extremely old, like back around the time when UMC was originally called MAV, before I designed the external interface.

I never shared it much BECAUSE of how difficult it was to understand.

but, I'm getting closer to actually being able to export the format :)
it's actually quite a simple format, which I've documented here:
http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/HAL_DAT_(File_Format)

that pathfinder I describe is meant to work with more than Melee:

as for Melee, I'm working on getting various things down:

^UMC doesn't yet support NBT data, but it's being worked on in a future update to 3.0a ;)
(I'm trying to get this next release out ASAP, so some support will be left out for later (for what CAN be supported anyways))

alot of stages have raw image data as root structures, so that should say something about just how loose this format is :p
(this currently thwarts the pathfinder into not recognizing the structure)

Last edited:

Aelo

Smash Rookie
UMC doesn't yet support NBT data, but it's being worked on in a future update to 3.0a ;)
(I'm trying to get this next release out ASAP, so some support will be left out for later (for what CAN be supported anyways))

alot of stages have raw image data as root structures, so that should say something about just how loose this format is :p
I must admit that my brain literally melted when looking at all this information. I'm still really interested in learning more about all this kind of stuff. I'll be waiting for more updates on your project.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I must admit that my brain literally melted when looking at all this information. I'm still really interested in learning more about all this kind of stuff. I'll be waiting for more updates on your project.
The most relevant thing is the wiki page which tells you about the structure of dat files. You can use that to do all sorts of cool things. The rest isnt really pertinent to modding at this point.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I'll be waiting for more updates on your project.
you might want to follow this thread then: ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-side-development-thread.334292/page-9
I'm currently re-working on the UI, which now has much better support than before...

but bleh, the only part this comes into modding with is the fact that it will be able to export DAT files later on. :p

but yea, that page is a wiki for a reason. ;)
if you have any new info to add or anything you feel should be clarified, please modify that page. :)

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
The link works, you just have to copy and paste it into your browser. @ Veggies Veggies
Unsure how to fix them but I'm sure it has something to do with the way dropbox creates urls and make the file name be in the link. The spaces in the name are what is messing up the link as %20 (Which is the code for space I guess) just gets replaced by space due to smashboards forum code (probably idk). I inserted hyperlinks onto the urls so I hope they will continue to work. If not then idk

edit: hyperlinking didn't even work

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Unsure how to fix them but I'm sure it has something to do with the way dropbox creates urls and make the file name be in the link. The spaces in the name are what is messing up the link as %20 (Which is the code for space I guess) just gets replaced by space due to smashboards forum code (probably idk). I inserted hyperlinks onto the urls so I hope they will continue to work. If not then idk

edit: hyperlinking didn't even work
%20 is URL encoding for space ;)
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

but yea, I usually insert spaced URLs in [ url=http: ] URL [ /url] ;)

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
haha yea, that works too ;)
I personally prefer Copy over DropBox, so there's another resource for ya. ;)

if you'd like, I can invite you to copy and you should get 25GB off the start :D
and I'll get +5 for inviting you :p

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
haha yea, that works too ;)
I personally prefer Copy over DropBox, so there's another resource for ya. ;)

if you'd like, I can invite you to copy and you should get 25GB off the start :D
and I'll get +5 for inviting you :p
I actually have 52GBs on mediafire (I'm not sure what default is, but this was free).

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
hey a bit self-advertisment here
i make free layouts for streamers/letplayers anyone who needs a stream for anything for FREE here is my previous work
PM ME DO NOT POST HERE

Last edited:

Aelo

Smash Rookie
you might want to follow this thread then: ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-side-development-thread.334292/page-9
I'm currently re-working on the UI, which now has much better support than before...

but bleh, the only part this comes into modding with is the fact that it will be able to export DAT files later on. :p

but yea, that page is a wiki for a reason. ;)
if you have any new info to add or anything you feel should be clarified, please modify that page. :)
I definetely need to learn more about Melee Modding in general before I can even try to modify something. I still have pages and pages to read here on Smashboards so I can try to understand more about the hacking scene and start contributing to the cause as well. As stated before, I have worked on Melee textures in the past, so I will probably begin to upload content here as soon as I have all the resources to do so. The next thing I'm aiming too is to learn more about CSP creation and Stage design, since I have been reading posts from users here on this thread with amazing content and I don't have the slightest idea of how the heck they managed to make those.

Oh yeah and awesome job man, you are literally the example of dedication and perseverance. I'm currently reading the entirety of your thread and trying to understand all the things you mention in there. I'm a total noob when it comes to that kind of subjects, but it definetely interests me. I'm glad to hear that you are still working hard to achieve awesome things for the modding community.

hey a bit self-advertisment here
i make free layouts for streamers/letplayers anyone who needs a stream for anything for FREE here is my previous work
I'm really enjoying these. They look very good. The Apex 2015 one is definetely my favorite.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I definetely need to learn more about Melee Modding in general before I can even try to modify something. I still have pages and pages to read here on Smashboards so I can try to understand more about the hacking scene and start contributing to the cause as well. As stated before, I have worked on Melee textures in the past, so I will probably begin to upload content here as soon as I have all the resources to do so. The next thing I'm aiming too is to learn more about CSP creation and Stage design, since I have been reading posts from users here on this thread with amazing content and I don't have the slightest idea of how the heck they managed to make those.

Oh yeah and awesome job man, you are literally the example of dedication and perseverance. I'm currently reading the entirety of your thread and trying to understand all the things you mention in there. I'm a total noob when it comes to that kind of subjects, but it definetely interests me. I'm glad to hear that you are still working hard to achieve awesome things for the modding community.

I'm really enjoying these. They look very good. The Apex 2015 one is definetely my favorite.
all you need to know is right here: ;)
(specifically the HAL_DAT format page, but the videos can apply too)
heh, I actually have an old video with a VERY choppy and unstable vertexing method...

I don't like referencing it because of how hard it is to make sure you're doing everything right :/

but here's a small tut I wrote someone with the video:

this stuff is extremely old, like back around the time when UMC was originally called MAV, before I designed the external interface.

I never shared it much BECAUSE of how difficult it was to understand.

but, I'm getting closer to actually being able to export the format :)
it's actually quite a simple format, which I've documented here:
http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/HAL_DAT_(File_Format)

that pathfinder I describe is meant to work with more than Melee:

as for Melee, I'm working on getting various things down:

^UMC doesn't yet support NBT data, but it's being worked on in a future update to 3.0a ;)

EDIT:
many thanks man! :D
I'm always glad to help out wherever ;)
I'm not like the hackers I ran into who would hardly explain anything to me.

on that note though, my autism can make me hard to talk to, especially back then when I barely had any control over it... >.>
so yea, I bet they hated talking to me :p

I don't learn simply by being told...
I have to learn by getting a visual of the logic that works what I'm learning.
this visual could be anything represented as a simple animation drawing up an equation at which the numbers display and link up at key points, to a complex plumbing system with linkups showing the bindings of objects.

I have a very overactive imagination... heh
so yea, I learn by seeing how an example works.
(simply giving me the code can teach me how to use it if I understand the language)

I don't even understand C++ :p
I can read it a bit, but I can't code in it to save my life... heh

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman

GX Captain Falcon (Replaces Blue)
Made By: Siro
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!lopQgaTI!LJruM_9QfDCt_GTlz2_Ciu9qng3yse2osTXvWDJJz2c

I also updated the download link for the Neutral GX Falcon. ^^
This will not be put in the main post. If someone wants a skin on a different costume, they are welcome to do so themselves since it is fairly easy now, or they can try and find it on this thread. I believe there is even a thread dedicated to swapping textures to a different costume

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Veggies, can you change the Matrix Battlefield picture to this one? I think it more accurately describes the stage. I really think all the blue on this stage needs to be changed to green.

Capture.PNG

zankyou

Smash Lord
Veggies, can you change the Matrix Battlefield picture to this one? I think it more accurately describes the stage. I really think all the blue on this stage needs to be changed to green.

View attachment 37467
Haha yeah I agree. I didnt really get why it was called matrix battlefield until that showed up. Also the blue makes it too close to the mario party one. But Im not going to change it so I can't complain.

DRGN

Technowizard
Can I recommend that downloads include an example snapshot of the costume (like the ones in the OP). So that way when you're browsing costumes on your computer you know what they look like without having to load it into the iso and boot up the game to check. I know some of you do this already, but not everyone. (People can download the OP images and add them to the folders themselves of course, but it's just easier if they're included, especially if you're going through and download multiple costumes.)

Also, can someone reupload the Jester Young Link? The previous upload was with a [contingent] temporary upload site.

Last edited:

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
hmm...sb isnt letting me edit my post. anyways as the name implies this only version 1.0 a 2.0 version will have the color closer to falcos(i think it needs more green?) and possibly a yellow snout. also the eyes may need fixing, as when fox is looking straight forward he looks crosseyed.

would love some help with this one since i cant seem to get the blue right. moving on to Fax next(falco with fox skin)

also, thanks for the likes <3

edit: <3 Xeofreestyler

Last edited:

futilejoyrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
futilejoyrider
3DS FC
1822-1417-1018
Can you just change the name of the file though? Like let's say the Ho-Oh Falco texture will replace Red Falco but you already have a texture that you like for Red Falco, you can't change the file name of the Ho-Oh Falco texture to replace Blue Falco instead?

Edit: Also, the Assorted Icons CSS doesn't seem to be working for me... I've done everything right to replace character textures so is there a different way to do the CSS's?

Edit #2: Figured everything out, thanks.

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
(there is an edit button use it)
Can you just change the name of the file though? Like let's say the Ho-Oh Falco texture will replace Red Falco but you already have a texture that you like for Red Falco, you can't change the file name of the Ho-Oh Falco texture to replace Blue Falco instead?
Incorrect. In parts of texture files references the actual texture color. For most characters that could be easily portable, but it's rather difficult despite being easy.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Okay sorry for the dumb question, but just to clarify, you can't replace a costume of one color with another, right? As in, replacing FxNr.dat with FxGr.dat would not work?
In general I believe the answer is no since character models vary slightly from color to color. I remember magus posting somewhere that falcons model is different heights or something but the values differences where within 5 of each other. That being said I replaced Marths red costume with purple marths black one by simply copying the hex within steelias offsets and placing it in the other one. The offset values were the same for these particular files although Ive noted that its different in many others.

Top Bottom