• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Goxplex ur Csps are amazing, are you gonna do one for every top tier?
I'm aiming for the whole roster, but I should begin with the top 8 I guess. If someone could recomend me cool poses of characters it would be great, these could be results screen victory poses, the classic mode characters pictures or ingame screenshots.

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Here is how to load custom CSPs through dolphin without having to add them into the MnSlChr.usd/dat, as that gets very tedious and also causes desyncs on Netplay.

Step 1
Go to Dolphin and Select the "Graphics" Option

Step 2
Select the Advanced tab in the Graphics window and make sure "Dump Textures" is enabled.

Step 3
Go in-game and load the CSPs you would like to replace (I.E If I wanted to replace Fox's blue CSP I would select Fox, and then change to the blue costume, and then exit dolphin, as the texture would have been dumped since it was loaded.)

Step 4
Go to "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Dump\Textures\GALE01" and find the texture you want to replace.

Copy this file to "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\GALE01" or just simply copy the name of the file.

Step 5
Place the CSP/Texture you want to have in your game into "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\GALE01" and rename it to what the file's name was when it was dumped.

Step 6
Finally, deselect Dump Textures.

I hope this is easy to understand, I tried to make it stupid-people proof.
I also discovered this way you can add custom stock icons
Also thank you veggie for the tutorial, i can finally add portraits into the game

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice

Name: Neutral Fox CSP
Made by: Goxplex
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtrzid95xih5d6w/Fox - Neutral CSP by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Lavender CSP
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4ww73cxfg4vlp7/Fox - Lavender Original CSP by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Green CSP
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qjcxx42l8uwy2e/Fox%20-%20Green%20Original%20CSP%20by%20Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Orange CSP
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sneet5q6dnvhz7d/Fox%20-%20Orange%20Original%20CSP%20by%20Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Blue Fox CSP
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yt6wpzwzknewi3t/Fox - Blue Fox CSP by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Green Fox CSP
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yepvc3t7y4d7spl/Fox - Green Fox CSP by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Red Fox CSP
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l39v5pzjfm681sr/Fox - Red Fox CSP by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Yellow Fox CSP (Neutral)
Made by: Goxplex (Credit to ??? for the texture hack)
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq82zkj9rfdm8e0/Fox - Yellow Fox CSP (Neutral) by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: C9 Fox CSP (Blue)
Made by: Goxplex (Credit to Qual for the texture hack)
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq9yh6kz3xcqxeu/Fox - C9 Fox CSP (Blue) by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Ash Fox CSP (Green)
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/unvgnppq1rqv26n/Fox - Ash CSP (Green) by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Name: Goku Fox CSP (Orange)
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6fy5qbhzaqe9l9/Fox - Goku Fox CSP (Orange) by Goxplex.rar?dl=0

Last edited:

Ndrew

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial on how to replace "TPL" files?

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
so pumped for the rest, been checking all day lol
I did some C. Falcon portraits but I don't really like the final result. For some reason there was a really small difference between two of the portraits. I can upload them if you want to, they look decent, but I'm eventually going to upload new ones with a different pose.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/id1qxq4aejdf8ah/Old Falcon CSP.rar?dl=0

I'm thinking about just making one post where I upload all the new CSPs or just keep uploading them this way.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I think it depends on whether Veggies wants to add all these to the OP, lol. Honestly I think it'd be great if they were all in one place, whether in the OP of this thread, or their own post or thread. But of course, having them in the same place as their respective costumes would be ideal.

Btw, have you tried playing with the camera memory addresses as a way to make these? I almost forgot, but there's this document on memory addresses here (for v1.02). achilles wrote up a nice little mini guide to dive into it here. And then there are IE's video guides, which I think you've seen already (if not I can link you if you're interested). If I get around to trying this for CSPs before you, I'll let you know how it goes.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on whether Veggies wants to add all these to the OP, lol. Honestly I think it'd be great if they were all in one place, whether in the OP of this thread, or their own post or thread. But of course, having them in the same place as their respective costumes would be ideal.

Btw, have you tried playing with the camera memory addresses as a way to make these? I almost forgot, but there's this document on memory addresses here (for v1.02). achilles wrote up a nice little mini guide to dive into it here. And then there are IE's video guides, which I think you've seen already (if not I can link you if you're interested). If I get around to trying this for CSPs before you, I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm really interested on everything you mentioned. Please link me those videoguides.

DRGN

Technowizard
Sure. They're up on both Twitch and YouTube. Take your pick. :)

EDIT:

I played around with the camera's memory offsets quite a bit today, and didn't have much luck in finding a CSP solution. I found 7 different camera modes that could be set with address 80452c6c (though sometimes some aren't available for some reason), with 9 addresses that affected camera position/angle (though some of them seem to be duplicates. Also there are probably more.) The way I set up was by starting a match with debug mode enabled, freezing the game (by pressing start, not pausing the emulator), and then changing memory values. (If you update the values while the game is paused as normal or otherwise having the game running will result in the camera starting to move to the new position, but then immediately updates back to trying to track in whatever camera mode it's set to.)

The problem:
Any time you use the Debug Mode camera controls (D-pad + C-stick), the camera mode switches to a specific mode (mode 8), as it stops following the characters. Obviously the debug mode camera is what we would want to use for setting up our shots, since we can position the camera in -almost (only thing missing is roll)- any way we want. Unfortunately, whenever the camera enters that mode, Dolphin no longer shows updated address values when you click on them. So I wasn't able to find a way to get specific position data. Even if you switch to a different camera mode to try to force them to update, the camera just moves to the new position immediately, with new values, so it doesn't do any good.

The memory addresses I've been changing are only the result of a calculation. Which is why when you change them, the game starts trying to move away from them on the very next frame. If the values I've been changing are the output, then I think the input values to the calculations are what we would need to be editing. But I wouldn't know how to find those.

If someone wants to play with this some, here are some other notes I took down:

camera memory addresses (4 bytes each):

mode switch: 80452C6C

values (hex): 0 - follow all players
1 - pause camera
2 - close-up follow* (for 1-player mode victory close-ups)?
3 - close-up follow
4 - fixed-camera mode
7 - character tracking that allows offsets** (need to use taunt in debug mode to use)
8 - free-roaming camera addresses ignore position changes

* Isn't always available. e.g. if you load the match from the CSS vs. the debug menu. or tweak other variables first.
** Didn't accept the memory address changes I tried, even when frozen in debug mode.

- Any camera movement inputs will force the game to go to mode 8
- If you only change the axis 1 variables below, mode 4 will look to the centerpoint of the stage.

horizontal pivot (yaw): 80452c7c
vertical pivot (pitch): 80452c80
x-axis 1: 80452c94
y-axis 1: 80452c98
z-axis 1: 80452c9c

z-axis 2: 80452cac
x-axis 2: 80452cec (resets immediately on frame advance with cam 4)
y-axis 2: 80452cf0 (resets immediately on frame advance with cam 4)

y-axis 3: 80452d10

Last edited:

Bron

Smash Rookie
Can anyone post/link me to "The Lookout" Fountain of Dreams stage texture hack? (The dragon ball z one). It's sort of old but if someone still has it that'd be sick!

OmnipotentSpoon

Smash Cadet
Can anyone post/link me to "The Lookout" Fountain of Dreams stage texture hack? (The dragon ball z one). It's sort of old but if someone still has it that'd be sick!
Does the link on the first page not work for you?

Ndrew

Smash Rookie
While we're making requests, I'd like to know if I could find a blue PS (with blue plats), and any textures that change any of the fire effects to blue (like the blue falcon punch one I have).

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Sure. They're up on both Twitch and YouTube. Take your pick. :)

EDIT:

I played around with the camera's memory offsets quite a bit today, and didn't have much luck in finding a CSP solution. I found 7 different camera modes that could be set with address 80452c6c (though sometimes some aren't available for some reason), with 9 addresses that affected camera position/angle (though some of them seem to be duplicates. Also there are probably more.) The way I set up was by starting a match with debug mode enabled, freezing the game (by pressing start, not pausing the emulator), and then changing memory values. (If you update the values while the game is paused as normal or otherwise having the game running will result in the camera starting to move to the new position, but then immediately updates back to trying to track in whatever camera mode it's set to.)

The problem:
Any time you use the Debug Mode camera controls (D-pad + C-stick), the camera mode switches to a specific mode (mode 8), as it stops following the characters. Obviously the debug mode camera is what we would want to use for setting up our shots, since we can position the camera in -almost (only thing missing is roll)- any way we want. Unfortunately, whenever the camera enters that mode, Dolphin no longer shows updated address values when you click on them. So I wasn't able to find a way to get specific position data. Even if you switch to a different camera mode to try to force them to update, the camera just moves to the new position immediately, with new values, so it doesn't do any good.

The memory addresses I've been changing are only the result of a calculation. Which is why when you change them, the game starts trying to move away from them on the very next frame. If the values I've been changing are the output, then I think the input values to the calculations are what we would need to be editing. But I wouldn't know how to find those.

If someone wants to play with this some, here are some other notes I took down:

camera memory addresses (4 bytes each):

mode switch: 80452C6C

values (hex): 0 - follow all players
1 - pause camera
2 - close-up follow* (for 1-player mode victory close-ups)?
3 - close-up follow
4 - fixed-camera mode
7 - character tracking that allows offsets** (need to use taunt in debug mode to use)
8 - free-roaming camera addresses ignore position changes

* Isn't always available. e.g. if you load the match from the CSS vs. the debug menu. or tweak other variables first.
** Didn't accept the memory address changes I tried, even when frozen in debug mode.

- Any camera movement inputs will force the game to go to mode 8
- If you only change the axis 1 variables below, mode 4 will look to the centerpoint of the stage.

horizontal pivot (yaw): 80452c7c
vertical pivot (pitch): 80452c80
x-axis 1: 80452c94
y-axis 1: 80452c98
z-axis 1: 80452c9c

z-axis 2: 80452cac
x-axis 2: 80452cec (resets immediately on frame advance with cam 4)
y-axis 2: 80452cf0 (resets immediately on frame advance with cam 4)

y-axis 3: 80452d10
When in camera mode 8, the camera offsets are from 0x453040 to 0x453058. You can change these while the game is frozen in frame advance.

DRGN

Technowizard
I started off using the camera values from the SSBMO Addresses sheets, and then expanded a bit from there looking for new ones. Did you just now find these? Last time you posted offsets for the camera, they were from 0x452F88 to 0x452FA4. (Also, I assume you actually mean for these new ones 0x80452F88 to 0x80452FA4, right?)

Wait, are there separate sets of values for each camera mode?? Holy shh...

I was actually just now dusting off my old method for auto-camera alignment.... I may have to give the memory addresses method another chance.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I started off using the camera values from the SSBMO Addresses sheets, and then expanded a bit from there looking for new ones. Did you just now find these? Last time you posted offsets for the camera, they were from 0x452F88 to 0x452FA4. (Also, I assume you actually mean for these new ones 0x80452F88 to 0x80452FA4, right?)

Wait, are there separate sets of values for each camera mode?? Holy shh...

I was actually just now dusting off my old method for auto-camera alignment.... I may have to give the memory addresses method another chance.
Yes, they are separate stored in separate locations. The first ones are for the pause camera (like in a normal versus match) and the ones I just posted are for the "camera mode 8" that you were talking about.

And yes, unless otherwise mentioned, the 0x80___ is assumed (when talking about RAM offsets). 0x452f88 is the exact same thing as 0x80452f88 in Dolphin.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Yes, they are separate stored in separate locations. The first ones are for the pause camera (like in a normal versus match) and the ones I just posted are for the "camera mode 8" that you were talking about.

And yes, unless otherwise mentioned, the 0x80___ is assumed (when talking about RAM offsets). 0x452f88 is the exact same thing as 0x80452f88 in Dolphin.
I thought it was really weird before that I kept finding so many sets of positions that seemed to be the same (and of course the behavior of the camera as I played with different sets without always changing the mode). Heh. But that makes sense now. Although the positioning is still a bit odd, since some of the values even within mode 8 affect more than one thing (like for example y-axis AND pitch, or something similar).

Thanks for responding so fast before btw, I think that little tip probably saved me a lot of work.

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
anyone know if it's possible to get metal textures? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cPPdSlfOPU)
what you're looking at is the metal box effect with a color overlay on the character. Editing the actual metal reflection texture is also possible. (Like this) so you could probably change just the color of the metal texture to yield the same/similar results as what you posted.
Is it possible to make a character have a metal texture, but not have the gravitational effect (and whatever other effects it gives you)? It would make an awesome alt costume option.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I just wrote a script that pulls the positions in Dolphin's memory for camera mode 8 and write them into an .ini file. Next (more like in a few days since I'll be busy with tournaments/work), I'll write one to put them back. You could then use different ini files for different camera locations, and easily be able to switch to, or 'load up', different [exact] positions (theoretically), even after, for example, closing Dolphin and changing the costumes in your ISO.

anyone know if it's possible to get metal textures? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cPPdSlfOPU)
Don't see why not. In fact I thought I'd seen one for Mario before, but maybe not, since I don't see one in my collection or the OP. Do you know how to dump textures in Dolphin? Try loading up a match and see what dumps out when you get a metal box. If the texture tiles well enough with itself it should work pretty well to just replace all of a character's textures with the metal texture. I don't know if there's some special lighting effect that is normally applied though.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I just wrote a script that pulls the positions in Dolphin's memory for camera mode 8 and write them into an .ini file. Next (more like in a few days since I'll be busy with tournaments/work), I'll write one to put them back. You could then use different ini files for different camera locations, and easily be able to switch to, or 'load up', different [exact] positions (theoretically), even after, for example, closing Dolphin and changing the costumes in your ISO.

Don't see why not. In fact I thought I'd seen one for Mario before, but maybe not, since I don't see one in my collection or the OP. Do you know how to dump textures in Dolphin? Try loading up a match and see what dumps out when you get a metal box. If the texture tiles well enough with itself it should work pretty well to just replace all of a character's textures with the metal texture. I don't know if there's some special lighting effect that is normally applied though.
That’s cool.

Using a code might just be easier. I haven’t tried this, but it will probably work.

04453040 AAAAAAAA
04453044 BBBBBBBBB
04453048 CCCCCCCC
0445304C DDDDDDDD
04453050 EEEEEEEE
04453054 FFFFFFFF
04453058 GGGGGGGG

And then just plug in your camera values for each memory address.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Although I did find the CPU shield which could be changed through Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" option.
Edit: Unsure if this is the CPU shield. I'm thinking that maybe this just servers as a basis for the shield texture and the hue is changed within a DAT somewhere, as I can't dump any other shields.

Attachments

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
04453040 AAAAAAAA
04453044 BBBBBBBBB
04453048 CCCCCCCC
0445304C DDDDDDDD
04453050 EEEEEEEE
04453054 FFFFFFFF
04453058 GGGGGGGG

06453040 00000038
AAAAAAAA BBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCC DDDDDDDD
EEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF
GGGGGGG 00000000

But in all reality they're both the same and have the same purpose.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Although I did find the CPU shield which could be changed through Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" option.
Edit: Unsure if this is the CPU shield. I'm thinking that maybe this just servers as a basis for the shield texture and the hue is changed within a DAT somewhere, as I can't dump any other shields.
That’s awesome. The shield color is in PlCo.dat, and hence, how it’s possible to change the shield color with a code like in the 20XX pack. I wonder if that shield texture is in PlCo.dat as well. I would assume it is. This would be a funny thing to change!

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
There are multiple shield textures (for different things like the "static" that appears when you get hit, shading, the power shield ring, and a few more) in EfCoData (spreadsheet thread link). I can't remember if the above is one of them though (probably is). I need to get around to uploading all the images I found in EfCoData. If I don't do it within a few days, someone post in that thread to remind me if you guys want that. In the spreadsheet, I used the image hashes that Dolphin generates when you dump the texture to identify them, since I thought they would always be unique, but I'm afraid that they aren't always. They've always been the same for me, but I'm wondering if maybe they're different for different versions of the game (or maybe with different versions of Dolphin).

That’s cool.

Using a code might just be easier. I haven’t tried this, but it will probably work.

04453040 AAAAAAAA
04453044 BBBBBBBBB
04453048 CCCCCCCC
0445304C DDDDDDDD
04453050 EEEEEEEE
04453054 FFFFFFFF
04453058 GGGGGGGG

And then just plug in your camera values for each memory address.
Ah. That's cool too. I still haven't worked with ASM codes at all. Those would be added to the dol someplace?

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
you're right, thats is the texture for all the shields and the hue is changed in efcodata.dat (I think) oops, achilles answered this better

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
There are multiple shield textures (for different things like the "static" that appears when you get hit, shading, the power shield ring, and a few more) in EfCoData (spreadsheet thread link). I can't remember if the above is one of them though (probably is). I need to get around to uploading all the images I found in EfCoData. If I don't do it within a few days, someone post in that thread to remind me if you guys want that. In the spreadsheet, I used the image hashes that Dolphin generates when you dump the texture to identify them, since I thought they would always be unique, but I'm afraid that they aren't always. They've always been the same for me, but I'm wondering if maybe they're different for different versions of the game (or maybe with different versions of Dolphin).

Ah. That's cool too. I still haven't worked with ASM codes at all. Those would be added to the dol someplace?
That's just a Gecko/AR code (compatible with both. Just a 32-bit write every frame of the game). ASM is actual coding instructions, this code is just writing 32-bit floating point numbers to a specific place in the RAM. They're not the the same thing.

So you would just add the camera values for each memory address in that Gecko code, and then enable it on Dolphin.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Kind of neat :p
We need a light blue shield with a C9 logo on it for Mango to use with C9 Fox :D

(I assume that this isn't actually possible since the shields are all based off one texture, so all players would have C9 shields with differing colors)

Now we just need to edit whatever these are :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom