• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Amazing One

Smash Rookie
Your friend is looking on the side of the CD with the SSBM logo, not the part the GameCube reads. My CD says

DL-DOL-GALE-USA

MODEL No. DOL-006(USA)

too, but that's on the non-shiny part. If you look to the other side, the side with the shiny part, the CD should say "DOL-GALE-0-0X JPN" or something like that.

BTW, I have seen a lot of vids of 5 seconds Ganondorf, but my main trouble is hitting all 3 targets with forward A (targets 5, 6, and 7). And whenever I hit them, I mess up in hitting the last 3 targets. But when I don't hit all three of them, I succeed in hitting the last 3 targets >_<

Tails the Fox

Smash Ace
Ok for 50 what i do is play with Sheik and play Mr. Evasive hit them with the teleport explosions and getting some damage in.If u use Sheik u gotta use Teleport alot and it will last a awhile but its a safe way to play it.

Another way is ganondorf but i just cant do it with him...considering i think i havent played in 2 months.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Tails the Fox
Ok for 50 what i do is play with Sheik and play Mr. Evasive hit them with the teleport explosions and getting some damage in.If u use Sheik u gotta use Teleport alot and it will last a awhile but its a safe way to play it.

Another way is ganondorf but i just cant do it with him...considering i think i havent played in 2 months.
No way. Bad idea. Teleport has major lag. Not only that but that move isn't meant to do damage. As for the ganondorf way, it's super easy. All you do is up-smash. Each kick will do at least 25%, and they're in perfect range for the two kicks to connect. Not only that, but Ganon has some kick-*** rolls, so evasion shouldn't be a problem. It's real easy.

1timeuser

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just read the LONG stats about priority, throwing speed, dash speed, etc. And just learned about the priority
player 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 IS THIS TRUE?

WOuldn't that defeat the whole purpose of competition in smash bros? I mean, unless I misunderstand, then someone please rephrase it. Because that's kind of pathetic that a socket in controller one means you have priority over socket 2,3, and 4.

This is a wierd formula...especially for a game of this size in gameplay value.

No useless loser flames, I want to get to the bottom of this for me

SPAZ

Smash Journeyman
yes the 1>>2>>3>>4 is correct

to an extent

it barely at all effects gameplay. so feel at ease being the fourth controller socket, it will only go into affect really when say you and someone else pick up a crate at the EXACT SAME TIME, as in the same frame. the player one will pick up the crate, and player two would act as if he is picking up the crate, but wont accually be picking it up....just the animation will show,

so dont worry about this slight priority rule, it never really takes into effect, and when it does, its something as simple as picking up an item.

it was just an easy way for the programmers to not have the game glithing up, would you rather the game freezing when you and your opponent pick up or attack at the exact same frame, or for the other player to have it happen and not you?

paperboy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by 1timeuser
Hey, I just read the LONG stats about priority, throwing speed, dash speed, etc. And just learned about the priority
player 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 IS THIS TRUE?
Yes, but like spaz says, it's pretty irrelevant. This is one of the last resorts for ruling out which attacks hit and miss. The are rare occasions when this would take place. I'll give an example, let's say your playing a mirror match with one of your friends, and they're a character that has a reflecting or status changing move (let's take Mario's cape). If you were player 1, and your friend was player 4, and you did cape at the EXACT same time, you would win. However, if your opponent did the move a frame before you, then he would win. So don't worry about it.

1timeuser

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the clear up. Anyway, I'm starting to use Marth like crazy because I just happened to see the way computers play, using his distance correctly. I always thought he was weak and stiff b/c I played him a few times and played him like Link.

Anyway, I got 2 questions: For an edge recover counter to work, must the ground be under you so you don't fall sharply downward right/left (ignoring stage shape factors)? Unless the ground is right under me, after the counter, I tend to slide down sharply and dolphin slash isn't enough to get back up.

And 2: even with L-cancel, Marth's jump down+A does have a bit lag when hitting ground sharply, correct?

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
If you're going to edge recover counter, you need to be a little bit over the ground, or at least have some forward momentum going. Marth and Roy can't grab the edge when they counter, because they have to go through their animations before they can perform any other moves. If you aren't over the edge, two things may happen:

1. Your opponent doesn't hit you, and you're in a counter stance until you die.
OR
2. Your opponent hits you, you counter, then have a tiny window to return to the stage.

As to question two, yes, the Down-A L cancel still has a wee bit of lag. L-canceling gets rid of most of the lag, but not all of it.

1timeuser

Smash Rookie
Thanks bahamut.

Now I've got a real problem:
I am having a hard time fending off edge guarding Foxes. It's not the roll+throw or forward/up smash that gets to me, but it's when they throw off Marth that I'm in real deep trouble. Does the jump forward+A for Marth have high priority over moves like foxes up smash?

I've only spent about a week now with Marth. My distance is getting better with him, but I hardly use Blade dance because timing is very hard against "good" hehe fox players. Any uses for it? Can it be tech rolled out of? And if yes, what's the point of using it? especially in the air.

Again, no loser flames. I've only began to play Marth and looking for advices.

Thank you

1timeuser

Smash Rookie
no matter how aggressive my short hop attacks and distant swordplay, Fox's simple moves are just too strong. I can always just choose Link or Mario to fend off Foxes easily but I KNOW Marth has potential...and it seems to be those potential that take forever to come out, but when it does, it's unstoppable.

And what about his meteor? I find it hard to come back to the ground in training mode because Marth's meteor usually drags him down waaay too low and most of the times, he's backwards. Should not be used as KO, or are there other options?

And I've seen somewhere that Marth is very fast in roll, then attack tactic. Is it only because of his long reach or is it because he has a faster/farther or whatever roll?

usea

Smash Ace
you can often just use marth's meteor without jumping over the gap. just stand on the very edge, and right when they're about to grab the edge do a short hop and down aerial. you'll land right back where you started and usually they will die.

also, in training mode, you can't use the c-stick to do his meteor, so because you're using down on the analog stick to do it, you're probably fast-falling also. this will make it much harder. try in normal vs mode using the c-stick.

but yeah, his down aerial has ridiculous lag afterwards. if you do it too low you will not be able to make it back. facing backwards isn't a problem though, because you can turn around with your up+b. just press up+b and a tiny bit diagonal to the left or right to change the direction.

as for quick marth attacks, my favorites are his:
neutral A on the ground- it's quick, use it to stop projectiles or hit somebody close up
forward aerial- the obvious choice. great range, speed, power and minimal lag.
neutral aerial- covers a decent area, and last longer than the forward aerial.

you might want to try sheild grabbing too. fox is quick, but marth has nice grabbing range. I know you're sort of forced into offense because of the blaster, but try to approach him enough to stop the blaster spamming, but still stay in a sort of defensive mode. sheild grab his moves and start combos. fox is one of the harder characters to play offense against, especially in the air, because of his speed, low jumping height and fast falling. just don't get sucked into his pace of non-stop quick attacks up close. his tilts will probably beat yours once he gets one of two of them to connect. slow the pace to more of a reactionary game.

veggieofDOOM

Smash Cadet
How do you do that move where Y Link/Link stab their sword everywhere really quickly like in the special movie?

paperboy

Smash Ace
Tap a really fast :chuckle:. Try it in training first so you get the hang of it, then progress to faster speeds.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Supernova
i believe the first two taps of A have to connect with the opponent in order to get the fast jabbing motion.
Not really. You can do it without, but you have to press it faster if you don't connect. If the first two hits do connect, then you don't have to press a quite as fast.

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION::
About Marth

When using the dancing blade in the air with Marth i know there are three different "floats" he can do.
1. Where he actually gets a lift up in the air, alittle float
2. Where his downwards speed isn't changed at all
3. Where he decends quickly towards the ground (momemtarily i think, then i levels off again)

My question is, how do you do these differnt types of air swords dacne manuvers?

QUESTION 2::
About Marth

What types of things changes the speed in which you can do the swords dacne. For instance i know that if you are in the air when you use the first two (-->B, -->B of the dace) they'll be quicker than if you used them on land (well I think thats the case anyway, correct if wrong).

QUESTION 3::
About Marth

Since Marth's dash speed is faster than his running speed is he able to do the Fox Trot?

OK thats it. Thanks in advance.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
well i dont know about the other 2, but for the last one, a fox trot is when you repeatedly do just the beginning of the dash sequence since it is faster then the actual dance. im not sure if marths is faster, but if it is then yes a fox trot could help. but ive never heard of a marth fox trotting, i know ken dash dances so try that.

Tails the Fox

Smash Ace
For answer 1. You have to press the button combinations at a certain time and for the last part you have to press ^B or vB at at a precise moment.

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
OK things are becoming more clear now. I don't quite get what your trying to say Tails the Fox but i'll try it out before i say anything else out it.
Thanks guys.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Yokoson
QUESTION::
About Marth

When using the dancing blade in the air with Marth i know there are three different "floats" he can do.
1. Where he actually gets a lift up in the air, alittle float
2. Where his downwards speed isn't changed at all
3. Where he decends quickly towards the ground (momemtarily i think, then i levels off again)

My question is, how do you do these differnt types of air swords dacne manuvers?
The first move of the dancing blade is the one with the float. And since the first move is always the same, the many "floats" can't be done, to my knowledge. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

QUESTION 2::
About Marth

What types of things changes the speed in which you can do the swords dacne. For instance i know that if you are in the air when you use the first two (-->B, -->B of the dace) they'll be quicker than if you used them on land (well I think thats the case anyway, correct if wrong).
Ohh, Mew2King's got some work to do :chuckle:. Anyway, there is a set time period of when you can do the next move of the dance. I don't know when it starts and ends, that's where Mew2King comes in. Post this in his topic. But position doesn't matter.

QUESTION 3::
About Marth

Since Marth's dash speed is faster than his running speed is he able to do the Fox Trot?
Yes.

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
Paperboy i'm pretty sure you can get the first move of the dancing blade to do something other than a float.
On FD I ran back and forth across the stage doing nothing but shot hops and the first move of the blade dance. At least once a pass Marth, instead of floating, would decend shaprly towards the ground.
Thanks Paperboy now i know Marth and do the Fox Trot, or is it the Marth trot?

paperboy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Yokoson
Paperboy i'm pretty sure you can get the first move of the dancing blade to do something other than a float.
On FD I ran back and forth across the stage doing nothing but shot hops and the first move of the blade dance. At least once a pass Marth, instead of floating, would decend shaprly towards the ground.
Thanks Paperboy now i know Marth and do the Fox Trot, or is it the Marth trot?
Hmmm... Ok then, make a topic, and the MD shall discuss. You might have discovered a new tatic! As for the Marth trot, it's still the Fox trot. Ever hear of the comic Fox trot? That's where the name came from. Clever, huh ;)

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
Comic?!!
I thought the Fox Trot was a dace.
You know like the mombo, or the flamingo, theres also the Fox Trot.
Hmm make a new topic? Never done that before.

usea

Smash Ace
yes, the fox trot is a dance.

when you 'sharpy descend' with marth's forward+b, it's not a weird buttom combination or something. try this: jump, do forward+b, then do your second jump and while still rising from your second jump, do forward+b again. it stops your upward motion and you move down some. it's like a jump cancel. it is more obvious if you've already done the blade dance once before, because it doesn't slow your descent as much (or at all?) after the first time.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Well I'm dumb

Oops. I thought y'all got it from the comic. Actually it's a pretty funny one IMO. Maybe it's an underground thing...

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
Yah you are right usea, i tried that last night and found those results.
But i was also able to do it on my first jump as well. That is jump, --> B, and he'd desend towards the ground.
A few times i was able to do that quick enough that it looked as if Marth did a small wave slide with his dancing blade.
Hmm odd, back to the testing field i guess.

EvilAttackLlama

Smash Journeyman
Link's Spike

I know link has a down A attack, but does he have a spike? His normal down A attack sends enemys higher, and takes forever to stop so you can get back up.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Yes. His tilt down+a on the ground is a spike. It's not very effective IMO, use the Spin Swing instead. It sends them downward at a 45 degree angle and it's almost impossible for anyone to recover, save for maybe puff or Mewtwo.

EvilAttackLlama

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate the reply Paperboy, but what I intended to ask was if Link had a spike that could be used to send enemys trying to get back on to the stage off the map. :( Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
Link does not have an aerial spike. His only spike is dtilt. Y. Link's dair can spike, but not easily.

Also, about dair taking forever to get back up, just L-cancel it.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Well Llama, you said that it takes forever to get up when you land, and L-cancel ends that lag early. As for Yoshi's wavedash, can't say. Don't play Yoshi.

paperboy

Smash Ace
Umm... kill 5000 people :p. You might actually build up your skill if you kill 5000 people, so I suggest playing against compys until then. It still counts. It's really not all that great, though.

F

FangOfTheRabbit

What I did (I know it's cheap) is start a melee with all comps and 99 stock, make three lvl 1 and the other at lvl 9. start it then simply unplug the the lil video cord in the back of the gc and watch tv or go to sleep. You'l get about 300 per turn for doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom