• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why is Dark Pit's theme Mexican?
Because Pit's VA is actually Spanish or something.
You know, if Dark Pit had a deep, sexy Spanish accent I would NOT mind his inclusion.

Problem is, (With the exception of Dark Samus) they aren't as requested as Dark Pit.
With the exception of Dark Samus indeed.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Greninja on the starting roster. If Mewtwo isn't in the game and Jigglypuff is the only unlockable Pokemon, that would be really dumb
Especially seeing as how Nintendo has been on the Mewtwo train for the past several years

Mewtwo was In the gen one remakes (Obviously)
Was in gen 2 remakes (Where he wasn't before)
Got a signature move in 5th gen
Is the one of two pokemon to get two mega evolutions and was the first mega to be shown to the public.

Also if I'm not mistaken overall he/she/it (there are two of them now in the anime , whatever) has been a "boss" character in more games than any other pokemon.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Okay. I'm gonna handle this as one of few regular posters of the thread that actually has the background of spending 130 hours to get through all of Xenoblade Chronicles to help pick apart all the great little nuances that make Shulk's trailer as good as it is!

First off is the use of :4bowser:. Why? Because one of the more plot-important enemy-types of the game are creatures known as Telethia. Telethia are creatures with a design that mixes alien appeal to normally fairly animalistic design and can manipulate Ether, the lifeforce of the planet, for their own protection. Riki, the little stuffed animal looking thing in Shulk's trailer, is a very memorable Nopon who joins your party, the "Heropon" who gives these Telethia the nickname "Dino Beasts." Sounds like a nickname easilly used for bowser as well.

Here is one example of a Telethia's design

Second is the fact that Shulk lies in wait for Bowser's back to be turned before using Back Slash. One of Shulk's most devastating standard arts (skills) in his game, this attack's base value triples when done from behind an opponent.

The line "I'm really feeling it." Afterwards is one of Shulk's most common banter lines after finishing a normal fight, a slight nod.

His title drop "Foresees a battle" refers to one of the most important abilities of his legendary weapon, the Monado. Periodically, to drive the plot forward with a cloudy scene that becomes more clear as the party draws closer to the event, or in Combat to warn of a massive skill of an enemy that will either do heavy damage or kill an ally, the Monado gives very limited "visions" which are explained to be a reading of Ether. This skill is immediately used in how Shulk is able to avoid the initial attack by Marth and Link.

After a small bit of swordplay, Shulk jumps away and drops the line "Now it's Shulk time!" This inarguably is a reference to the memetic line of the first major (and somewhat broken) party member of the game, Reyn, who is Shulk's best friend and acts like a tank/bruiser. The line "Now it's Reyn time," became incredibly popular as a joke for fans because of just how often it was dropped.

This is but one of MANY examples of how people make a joke out of it.

As the final part of the CG scene, Shulk readies the Monado's true might by cycling through the buffing Monado Arts of his Sm4sh incarnation (much like Players must in game as they scurry to make a choice in the heat of battle) before screaming out his most famous line, said every time a Monado Art is readied, "THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWER!"

While his jabs are fairly simple, but his Side Smash mirrors the action of Monado Eater & Mondado Purge from the main game.
The following up Smash uses the Light-Blade of the monado at extended range, as would happen for the massive AOE of the most iconic Monado Art, Monado Buster. [spoiler [/spoiler] His down smash appears to take the same animation as the start of the last unlocked Monado Art, Monado Cyclone.

His presumably Neutral special which cycles through the arts has 5 in total buff-debuff trades. While these only buffed in the core game.. and 2 were made solely for Sm4sh.. and two are named wrong. They represent what these would do in stat effect, and the visual details of a limited coloured aura and matching blade colour difference in the Monado's light-blade.

Monado Speed: Would enhance dodge rate in the original, gives better speed at lack of weight in Smash.
Monado Shield Armor: Would give a percentage damage reduction, now gives Metal Box-like properties.
Monado Buster Enchant: Allowed piercing of Mechon armor and a flat strength buff, gives better damage but less knockback.
Monado Smash: The inverse of "Buster"
Monado Jump: Bunny Hood grade jumping, but lessens knockback and/or damage.

For a split second, an Assist Trophy of Riki himself is seen. Once again, very iconic party member.

Air Slash is seen as his up special. While starting off like :4marth::4lucina:'s Dolphin Slash, it then switches to the normal animation it has in Xenoblade once it reaches an opponent.

Back slash is... his Dash Attack? Unknown if he requires the same strategic placement in Sm4sh as in Xenoblade for the effects I already stated.

Visions by the Monado are seen as his Down Special as :4lucario:yet, :4palutena:another, :4mii:counter, :4greninja:down :4littlemac:special:4myfriends: here. However, it appears to have a "sweet spot" based on what frame of the countering that the attack connects, Captain Falcon hitting it... the one sweet spot you want to miss.

One of his alternate costumes is seen as the most iconic armor set in Xenoblade... the swimming set that EVERY character has access to (but obviously gender-specific sets).

Finally, for gameplay, his Final Smash is seen. As most predicted, it's a cinematic of a Chain Attack (the easiest and most rememberable way of just piling up insane amounts of damage on one target in the game) with two party members from Xenoblade Chronicles and ending with Shulk using Monado Buster as it is in his home game. The question here is if it will always be Dunban and Riki, if it will be one of 3 sets of party members (Dunban-Riki, Reyn-Sharla, Melia-"7" due to spoilers of the last party member), or if it will randomly choose 2 of the other 5/6 allies, assuming they keep "7" out for spoilers as they're rereleasing the game.

As the cliffhanger ending, a giant shadow is seen matched with the voice of a Faced Mechon that drives most of the game's story before the almighty Plot Dump that turns everything on its head: Metal Face. This of course hints to him being a Stage Boss for Gaur Plains, akin to Yellow Devil at the end of Megaman's.

That's it. Hopefully now some can appreciate his trailer better.

Edit: the third picture is Monado Buster, it should be after the part of his up-smash. I'll try to fix that after my next class.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Monado Speed: Would enhance dodge rate in the original, gives better speed at lack of weight in Smash.
Monado Shield Armor: Would give a percentage damage reduction, now gives Metal Box-like properties.
Monado Buster Enchant: Allowed piercing of Mechon armor and a flat strength buff, gives better damage but less knockback.
Monado Smash: The inverse of "Buster"
Monado Jump: Bunny Hood grade jumping, but lessens knockback and/or damage.
Buster and smash feels kind of like the same thing in 1v1. Buster is more knockback at a lower damage. And Smash is more damage so you can get a higher knockback quicker because of the higher damage you're doing. Maybe in a 2v2 or free for all picking one over the other would have a freson depending on the match ups and your fighting style.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Bowser Jr and Doc are secret, and I guess you could count Wario if you wanted to.
Ah I forgot about those two. In Smash, I consider Wario his own character. He just originated in Mario.
Problem is, (With the exception of Dark Samus) they aren't as requested as Dark Pit.
It's almost like you care about the Dark Link from this post.
Dark Pit wasn't requested at all either. After Palutena, it was usually between Medusa or Hades. Some Magnus as well.

Dark Samus was the most requested out of any other potential clones. Unless you count Paper Mario who was considered by some to be a potential clone.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yeah.

But none of the "Dark" characters were ever competing with each other anyway. Dark Pit was probably going to be an alt, but then got in as a last-minute clone.
Last minute bias.
I agree though, that's most likely the scenario.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah.
But none of the "Dark" characters were ever competing with each other anyway. Dark Pit was probably going to be an alt, but then got in as a last-minute clone.
I know that.

But my question is: Why?
Dark Pit could literally be a palette swap and few would really mind, and if he is a palette swap and a clone, that seems like a complete waste of time and, thanks to Amiibos, money.

And if he's a palette swap with a completely unique moveset, that compounds the issue.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I know that.

But my question is: Why?
Dark Pit could literally be a palette swap and few would really mind, and if he is a palette swap and a clone, that seems like a complete waste of time and, thanks to Amiibos, money.

And if he's a palette swap with a completely unique moveset, that compounds the issue.
Especially since there are other potential clones to consider. Like Dixie and Black Shadow.

Heck, people even said Medusa could be a Palutena clone.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why do you think Lucina got in the roster in the first place? Her popularity and she's easy to clone proportion wise.
I think the latter is the obvious reason for Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario's inclusions, if they didn't bring that with them as well as potential to be costumes (which they were supposed to be to begin with) they'd never have been in. They got lucky basically.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
From the japanese eshop apparently
Starting roster?

Wow Wario being an unlockable is really lame.
That better not be the starting roster :(

This should:
:4mario::4bowser::rosalina::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::warioc:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4samus::4zss::4pit::4marth:
:4robinm::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4littlemac::4fox::4pikachu:
:4charizard::4greninja::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::substitute:

EDIT: I forgot Samus >_> fixed now.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
That better not be the starting roster :(

This should:
:4mario::4bowser::rosalina::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::warioc:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4pit::4marth::4robinm::4kirby:
:4dedede::4metaknight::4littlemac::4fox::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja:
:4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::substitute:
I agree with this. I might change some small things (for example, I would put Ike as a starter before Robin,) but I think the general idea of fewer starters suits me better. If the image in your quote is indeed the actual starting roster, I feel as though I won't enjoy unlocking characters, because the majority of them are vets and/or characters I just didn't enjoy playing in Brawl. I realize which characters I like is subject to change, but it still lessens my excitement for unlocking fewer characters that I don't care for as much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently, they're making a new 3ds (Think like the DSi), which could reopen possibilities of a certain character we didn't see on that leaked roster. Either on release, or as DLC

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
I agree with this. I might change some small things (for example, I would put Ike as a starter before Robin,) but I think the general idea of fewer starters suits me better. If the image in your quote is indeed the actual starting roster, I feel as though I won't enjoy unlocking characters, because the majority of them are vets and/or characters I just didn't enjoy playing in Brawl. I realize which characters I like is subject to change, but it still lessens my excitement for unlocking fewer characters that I don't care for as much.
I think Robin is better suited for a starter based on his/her role as the player avatar in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I also wouldn't be against this for starting :troll:

:4luigi::4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4falcon:
:ness2::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::jigglypuff:

Niala

Smash Ace
I think Robin is better suited for a starter based on his/her role as the player avatar in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I also wouldn't be against this for starting :troll:

:4luigi::4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4falcon:
:ness2::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::jigglypuff:

That's a fair argument. I don't think he's a poor fit, I just prefer to have newcomers unlocked rather than starters as often as possible. It makes it more exciting for me.

And I realize you're joking (at least a bit,) but I've always personally wanted a Smash game where you started with Mario and Mario alone, and had to unlock the rest of the roster from that point. I think that would be really fun, but I realize that would also cater specifically to me and probably nobody else.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
And I realize you're joking (at least a bit,) but I've always personally wanted a Smash game where you started with Mario and Mario alone, and had to unlock the rest of the roster from that point. I think that would be really fun, but I realize that would also cater specifically to me and probably nobody else.
That's actually a really good idea... for a game mode. Some kind of "opposite All Stars" where you start as Mario and after each match you get another character, maybe chosen randomly, until you've won a match with every character.

Of course, you'd have extra lives and everything, because not everyone can handle every character.

Niala

Smash Ace
That's actually a really good idea... for a game mode. Some kind of "opposite All Stars" where you start as Mario and after each match you get another character, maybe chosen randomly, until you've won a match with every character.

Of course, you'd have extra lives and everything, because not everyone can handle every character.
That's actually a really cool idea. It's like an Iron Man challenge in Smash Brothers. +1 petitioning to Sakurai.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
I dunno if this has been done before, but I've made my own personal tier list built on my preferences. Top row is Brawl vets (whether they've been confirmed or not), and the bottom row is my assumptions for where the newcomers will fall.

FAVORITES:
:4link::4lucario::4fox::4sonic::4tlink:
:mewtwopm:(please for the love of god...)

PLAY OFTEN:
:4bowser::4pit::lucas::ness2::wolf::ganondorf::4zelda::4sheik::4metaknight::4falcon::4samus::4kirby:
:4palutena::4villager::4greninja::4robinm::4pacman::4megaman:Bowser Jr.

SOMETIMES PLAY:
:4zss::4charizard::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4marth::4dedede::4pikachu::falco:
:4lucina::rosalina::4littlemac:Shulk

RARELY PLAY:
:4dk::4myfriends::4olimar::4yoshi::rob::warioc::gw::snake::popo::ivysaur::squirtle:
:4wiifit: Dark Pit, :drmario:, and unless he's reeeeeally fun, Duck Hunt Dog

NEVER PLAY:
:4diddy::jigglypuff:
:4mii: Dixie

the8thark

Smash Lord

That's a great idea. He could be the tutorial character. Just like the mage is in Hearthstone. Then you use the mage to unlock the other classes one by one. You could do the same in SSB. And Mario would have to be the start point as he's the most well known character and Mr Average in most abilities, easy for newcomers to understand and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom