• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What? I haven't even played Xenoblade and i thought the reveal was awesome, not the best trailer for sure, but i didn't feel underwhelmed at all during it.
I'm specifically talking about the trailer when I mention his reveal.

If you just mean that he is in it.
AWESOME; more reps from a unique guy with a great accent!

Yet... as a trailer... c'mon guys... seriously?

Unless he knew ahead of time that it would be leaked through a vision in times. Which explains why Shulk was revealed today.
I'm not claiming that Sakurai would have known which version of the leak would get out, or that it would be this past weak- unless it was form him- but he absolutely should have planned on a leak, and likely did.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I believe my issue with his reveal was the leak, I could see what all of his moves were based on and I have been admiring his render for the past week. The reveal did very little to convince me that he was his own unique character. Other than that, he is seemingly one of the more fun characters and I am interested in his "arts" mechanic.
Well that's true, but if we are going to rate the quality of the trailer overall i don't that matters much, otherwise Palutena's trailer would have also been incredibly underwhelming because most of us expected her already.
I guess it does take out the surprise factor, but really i'm glad that at least it had the newcomer fighting during the CGI portion, wich is something we hadn't seen since Megaman's trailer, and it was a huge plus for me.

Niala

Smash Ace
I believe my issue with his reveal was the leak, I could see what all of his moves were based on and I have been admiring his render for the past week. The reveal did very little to convince me that he was his own unique character. Other than that, he is seemingly one of the more fun characters and I am interested in his "arts" mechanic.

To be fair, sometimes you have to change your roster in light of new information. For instance, Dark Pit was not on my very first roster. But who knows, maybe Dr. Kawashima IS in the game.
I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but Dr. Kawashima was shown to be an AT here already: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry6.html

Weeman

Smash Crusader

I'm not claiming that Sakurai would have known which version of the leak would get out, or that it would be this past weak- unless it was form him- but he absolutely should have planned on a leak, and likely did.
But that's what i'm talking about, the TRAILER had me hyped for real, i don't see what's so wrong with it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but Dr. Kawashima was shown to be an AT here already: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry6.html
I was not even aware that he made an appearance, not sure how I missed that one.
Well that's true, but if we are going to rate the quality of the trailer overall i don't that matters much, otherwise Palutena's trailer would have also been incredibly underwhelming because most of us expected her already.
I guess it does take out the surprise factor, but really i'm glad that at least it had the newcomer fighting during the CGI portion, wich is something we hadn't seen since Megaman's trailer, and it was a huge plus for me.
Palutena's trailer was actually the most underwhelming for me before Dark Pit made his appearance, that is. :denzel:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I hereby relinquish my statements and my complaints of the trailer today! I am happy Shulk is on board!

If many people can believe Transformers is a good movie, then I can believe most people simply do not know how to form a proper opinion.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

Worked fine for me, it's a matter of taste, I not even entirely sure what your complaints on it actually are.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I hereby relinquish my statements and my complaints of the trailer today! I am happy Shulk is on board!

If many people can believe Transformers is a good movie, then I can believe most people simply do not know how to form a proper opinion.
Don't take it personal mate, but you didn't exactly state why you think it's lacking either, it's fine if you think it is, but at least "form a proper opinion" as well ;)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

The notion is subjective I suppose. But enough about Shulk, what do you think about Dark Pit's soft-confirmation? Does it... enrage you? Or are you perhaps still holding out for the hope that he was relegated to an alternate costume?! :troll:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice

If you could just say with good points why you believe Shulk's reveal tailer is bad instead of just saying it as a fact maybe there could be a better debate

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The notion is subjective I suppose. But enough about Shulk, what do you think about Dark Pit's soft-confirmation? Does it... enrage you? Or are you perhaps still holding out for the hope that he was relegated to an alternate costume?! :troll:
If we don't get a DK newcomer in any way, shape, or form, yeah it enrages me.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, if you want to talk about "weak" trailers, wouldn't it almost inarguably either :4villager: or :4mii:? Assuming we're talking from the amount of material put outside the gameplay, because every character got about equal treatment in gameplay.

Villager's trailer was him opening a letter, running off, and the empty envelope shown to have the Smash logo as a seal. Then, he randomly captures Mario in a net after being punched by Bowser.

Mii Fighter's reveal didn't even have to do about any characters. It was just two random dudes in suits acting like they're from Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure and then tieing in some cheap marketing ploy! They didn't even use Mii Gunner at all! :awesome:

Or even :rosalina:'s! There's more time of the CGI that she's NOT seen than when she is! :troll:

But. in all seriousness. All the characters got a good enough trailer to show off who they are in some scion of their main games and then how they work in Smash, using their gimmick enough to stress it.

:substitute: Can we just agree that with the trailers, like any part of ANY Smash game, there's going to be ones that people hate for reasons that a majority of people can't understand?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If we don't get a DK newcomer in any way, shape, or form, yeah it enrages me.
I agree with this. I already don't think Kid Icarus currently deserves three characters. Especially more than Donkey Kong or on par with Kirby. Clone or not.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I agree with this. I already don't think Kid Icarus currently deserves three characters. Especially more than Donkey Kong.
what would be considered an injustice is if kid Icarus get 3 characters and starfox is down to 2 like I said I still hold out hope for wolf because there is no reason for him to be cut if sakurai wanted him in since melee.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If you could just say with good points why you believe Shulk's reveal tailer is bad instead of just saying it as a fact maybe there could be a better debate
I posted an entire THREAD about why the video was horrendous. Without cause, it was shut down. That in itself urks me about the Shulk video, because there are threads in almost every newcomer forum about the video. Mine in particular, however, explained why such a mediocre video was a clue to something further, such as Sakurai's acknlowedgement of the leak, and the leak being part of his marketing strategy from the BEGINNING.

I'm very happy Dark Pit is "confirmed!" I told you once before, you never understood why I did not like him, or rather, that you did not understand my take on Dark Pit. I personally, do not think that Kid Icarus should have three reps...no. However, if Sakurai's upgrade words could be taken at face value, which it seems it could (then hoorah, more characters, AND he may have possibly separated the characters too, which aesthetically works, to make the clones a separate entourage, rather than the franchise's party in terms of REPRESENTATION).

...ergh, where was I... oh, my thoughts on Dark Pit.
I was never against him. There are few characters I am actually against, even if I am very willing to play devils advocate. I have not PLAYED Kid Icarus yet (I am about to, and I am very, very excited. I may even be purchasing Xenoblade as well). My issue is that, if we were going to get a clone, I thought that Medusa made more sense. Sure, in terms of an upgrade, maybe not entirely, but even still- it does in fact lower my opinion of Sakurai just a little to have Dark Pit and Pit as characters both, for all the reasons said. I don't care if there are 100 reasons to Tuesday as to why they are different- I don't even like Toon or Zero Suit as adjective. Adjective characters bug me. If his name happened to be 'Ted,' I'd maybe feel a lot differently. That, and how he looks. Yet, first appearances matter, they do. He is an alt, and a character, and that makes him fun.

Especially, because of this! I posted a longer version of this in... I think the DK thread, yet, essentially, having Dr Mario and Lucina (ROY), is Sakurai catering to the Melee competitive crowd. He included them to show that he was listening to the fans. I am super, super excited to have them on board, as characters, as a particular throwback to my childhood. Dark Pit completes a trilogy there, with three clones, which is numerically more round than two. With that, we also have two Mario's (which, we need if we have Two Links), we have a Melee clone, a remade Melee clone, and a completely new clone based on a Brawl character. It is a piece of Smash history!

That said, as an Intellectual Property, nothing will probably convince me that Dark Pit is not a moronic option, particularly to a director who cares so much about aesthetic. But, so be it! Bring on the erotic literature for Pit and Dark Pit.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I thoroughly enjoyed Shulk's reveal trailer. I saw it in Japanese though since I decided to watch the Direct in the main website first, and was totally shocked awake that it would be kickstarting with a reveal trailer already. Great way to wake up in the morning, I'll say.

As far as the leaked Starting CSS is concerned, if it is indeed true, it pretty much confirms my following theories:

1. Wario being unlocked helps Ice Climbers' chance significantly (before, no characters originating as starters have ever been hidden); combined with the Falco/Wolf near-slip (for anyone who can read lips), I am more than certain at this point that they will both be back.

2. There is no way the leaked render CSS is final; even if you take IC and Wolf out of consideration, the 11 unannounced characters plus Lucina pretty much tallies to a mere 12 unlockables--only one more than Melee but two less than Brawl's. Even if IC and Wolf both return, it would match Brawl's total unlockable characters list, which doesn't make sense considering....

3. The Starting CSS is significantly bigger than Brawl's. There was no doubting that it'd be bigger, but Luigi, Toon Link, and the third parties all being starters this time pretty much confirms that the roster this time around would be massive.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Dark Pit, More like DORK Pit
that could be used for either of them though...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Keep in mind that this isn't the thread to discuss trailers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Keep in mind that this isn't the thread to discuss trailers.
Is there one? I mean, I made one for Shulk's, and it was closed without explanation.

*happy elf dance*

C'mon I've never been so angry on a reveal day! I must not be doing this reveal right :(

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is there one? I mean, I made one for Shulk's, and it was closed without explanation.

*happy elf dance*

C'mon I've never been so angry on a reveal day! I must not be doing this reveal right :(
All I can say is that here is not the place. If there's not a trailer thread, take it to the social thread instead of derailing this one.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

*happy elf dance*

Well just focus more on the character than the trailer/reveal. He looks awesome! You think I was thrilled when Pac-Man was the only character without an animated scene (or CGI)outside of the game, or that Chrom, who I supported, was spat on in the Robin trailer? Nah man, but I looked past the details and focused on the bigger picture. My favorite character Pac-Man was revealed, and Robin looked sweet to play as.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Has that private Pax event happened yet?

I was just wondering if maybe there was a reason the Shulk trailer was only shown off in a Japanese direct. That maybe they plan on revealing another newcomer who has more western popularity (Ridley/Isaac) at Pax.

It's kind of a stretch but at the same thing I could see the reasoning behind it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Has that private Pax event happened yet?

I was just wondering if maybe there was a reason the Shulk trailer was only shown off in a Japanese direct. That maybe they plan on revealing another newcomer who has more western popularity (Ridley/Isaac) at Pax.

It's kind of a stretch but at the same thing I could see the reasoning behind it.
Apparently the event is under an information embargo. I would not hold your breath to see whether or not it yields anything relevant.

Morbi

Scavenger
So you like straight up clones/ripoffs better than unique characters? Have fun in the minority pal...
Dr. Mario is his own unique character that happens to borrow his move-set from Mario. Honestly, Dr. Mario is more unique than Mario because of this; however, Mario came first, so people erroneously believe that Dr. Mario is the one that attenuates diversity. It is the other way around.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario is his own unique character that happens to borrow his move-set from Mario. Honestly, Dr. Mario is more unique than Mario because of this; however, Mario came first, so people erroneously believe that Dr. Mario is the one that attenuates diversity. It is the other way around.
Are you seriously saying Mario is a clone of Dr. Mario? Dr. Mario is Mario, and why you would want the same person twice over someone original and unique is beyond me...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Eh, the only character I absolutely hate is Bowser Jr. I can apparently replace him with one of the Koopalings, so that's something, at least. Not much better since I don't care for any of them, but at least I don't hate them..

The Doc is a terrible choice, but it's not like he took anyone's spot. Clones don't even take much effort.
Should have brought back Roy and Mewtwo as well.

Now what does aggravate me is that there were "clones" in Brawl who were far more original, who are apparently cut in favor of less original clones. I can't fathom why Sakurai decided to axe Wolf and Lucas in favor of Doc/Lucina/Pittoo.

It's particularly annoying that fully unique characters (Ice Climbers, Snake) are gone, but that's no fault of the new characters. Honestly, the one thing that really sticks out as disappointing to me is the return of Falcondorf. Come on Sakurai.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Dr. Mario is quite literally Mario dressed in a doctors outfit. It has never been confirmed that they are separate entity's or that they are even in different universes (like Link and Tink).

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Are you seriously saying Mario is a clone of Dr. Mario? Dr. Mario is Mario, and why you would want the same person twice over someone original and unique is beyond me...
No. That is not what I said at all, I just stated that Dr. Mario offers more than Mario does.

Clones are not inherently "original and unique" though, so I am not sure who Dr. Mario's replacement should have been, Dixie Kong? If anything Nintendo's mascot that represents a different series whilst being a Smash veteran is the most ideal choice.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So you like straight up clones/ripoffs better than unique characters? Have fun in the minority pal...
Clone characters are easy additions that add depth and options to the game. They're a stable and welcome addition in every fighting game.

They did not take anyone's spot. EDIT: Including Wolf and Lucas.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
No. That is not what I said at all, I just stated that Dr. Mario offers more than Mario does.

Clones are not inherently "original and unique" though, so I am not sure who Dr. Mario's replacement should have been, Dixie Kong? If anything Nintendo's mascot that represents a different series whilst being a Smash veteran is the most ideal choice.
... and unnecessarily bring Mario to 7 characters (not even counting Yoshi)? You honestly think a pair of Doctor's clothes and a stethoscope are more necessary than the strongest Pokemon of all time, who introduced Mega-Evolution, is perhaps the third most popular Pokemon, and would represent the ensemble of legendary Pokemon. Look, I know Dr. Mario is not the reason as to why Mewtwo isn't in, but why someone would want him over Mewtwo makes little to no sense. But what's done is done, and we each have our own opinions, none of which will have an impact at this point. So let's stop arguing.

Morbi

Scavenger
The Doc is a terrible choice, but it's not like he took anyone's spot.

Now what does aggravate me is that there were "clones" in Brawl who were far more original, who are apparently cut in favor of less original clones. I can't fathom why Sakurai decided to axe Wolf and Lucas in favor of Doc/Lucina/Pittoo.
I might be misconstruing your sentiment, but... could you clarify this for me?

Also, Wolf is not a clone just because he shares the Landmaster. :facepalm:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's either Doctor Mario or no additional character, not Doctor Mario or Mewtwo.

Unless you'd rather we don't get Doc at all.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Everyone freaking out that their character didn't make it... Guys, the leaker even said (sorry if I'm wrong) that there could be more characters. There is clearly more room for some more characters. And all-star mode was locked, basically confirming not everyone was on the leak. We really just have to wait and see who's in, and you shouldn't be complaining yet because there is still a slight chance for all the not-yet-disconfirmed characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
... and unnecessarily bring Mario to 7 characters (not even counting Yoshi)? You honestly think a pair of Doctor's clothes and a stethoscope are more necessary than the strongest Pokemon of all time, who introduced Mega-Evolution, is perhaps the third most popular Pokemon, and would represent the ensemble of legendary Pokemon. Look, I know Dr. Mario is not the reason as to why Mewtwo isn't in, but why someone would want him over Mewtwo makes little to no sense. But what's done is done, and we each have our own opinions, none of which will have an impact at this point. So let's stop arguing.
Indeed, our opinions have no impact as it seems that Dr. Mario has been soft-confirmed over Mewtwo. :troll:

But seriously, there is still a chance for Mewtwo to return; in fact, I am positive that he will return. The main point here is this...
It's either Doctor Mario or no additional character, not Doctor Mario or Mewtwo.

Unless you'd rather we don't get Doc at all.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Indeed, our opinions have no impact as it seems that Dr. Mario has been soft-confirmed over Mewtwo. :troll:

But seriously, there is still a chance for Mewtwo to return; in fact, I am positive that he will return. The main point here is this...
How about Option C:

I'd want a different clone over Dr. Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom