• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Welcome to the Official Character Discussion Thread!

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, speculate, predict, and amicably debate the characters the roster of Smash 4 is and could be composed of. To avoid having this thread follow the fate of those prior, what is and is not permissible to post has been mutually amended by the moderating staff. Apart from topical text-only posts, posting legitimate prediction roster images and other content specifically related to the topic of the thread, which is character/roster discussion and only character/roster discussion is acceptable. However, repeated posting of the same acceptable material to the point it becomes excessive and constitutes spam, is not.

Posting any material that is liable to derail the thread, such as joke/trolling posts, flaming/or harassing other users over character choice or general opinions, posts consisting solely or comprised primarily of a gif/meme/video/off-topic image/etc, including Smash Bros. memes or troll roster images, discussion about the state of the thread, general off-topic discussion, or any other content that conflicts with the Global Rules of posting are strictly prohibited and will result in penalization.

This thread is not for general discussion, nor is it a social thread. All general discussion must take place in the Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) thread.

Any user who witnesses a post which does not meet these guidelines is free and encouraged to report it to the Moderators with the Report function.

If a staff member has informed you that the content of your post is for one reason or another unacceptable, do not argue with them. If you do disagree with the orders given by a moderator or other staff member, please contact them privately, or visit the Forum Support.

We hope you enjoy civilly discussing the topic this thread is intended for as much as in previous iterations (as it is a large and crucial part of the game), however you must, at all times, adhere to these regulations to not only to avoid warnings and/or infractions, but to maintain the quality of the thread while concurrently keeping it enjoyable and hospitable for others.

Thank you.

Morbi

Scavenger
Black Shadow is probably the most likely F-Zero candidate; however, Samurai Goroh is the character that has acquired the staggering Smash prevalence (Melee opening and Assist Trophy status). If Mother could procure a second representative, I believe that F-Zero, one of the original series, could do the very same. This solves a detriment that attenuates the variety of the cast, Ganondorf could impute his F-Zero move-set to Black Shadow, a character with a similar build. This is more likely, it isn't quite apparent, but Black Shadow's role in the anime certainly contains a correlation to his popularity. In Japan, his voice-actor is top-tier, Captain Falcon's voice-work is partly the reason he has become the face of Smash, so why not add another important character that can do the same.

Meowth is one of the most unique characters that Pokemon could offer, assuming he implements some of Team Rockets gadgets. The plethora of items would attribute to a truly unique character like none other. Not only is he the spiritual rival of Pikachu (inverted Pokedex numbers alluding to the notion of cat and mouse) he is also the main antagonist of the prominent Pokemon anime. The main villain of the Pokemon franchise is certainly worthy of inclusion. He has the prevalence and relevance necessary to fit the criteria offered. His overt flaw is inherent to his role in Smash.

Also, Jigglypuff is the meh gir!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Oh hey look it's open. :D
Here's my newest roster:

The only notable addtion to the roster is the Alph, Brittany, and Charlie trio. I feel like they could be a possible, very unique addition with a trio being extremely diverse on it's own.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Here's my newest roster:

The only notable addtion to the roster is the Alph, Brittany, and Charlie trio. I feel like they could be a possible, very unique addition with a trio being extremely diverse on it's own.
That Pikmin trio is quite interesting. Do you care to elaborate your reasoning behind this idea as well as their role in the game?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Here's my newest roster:

A pretty roster. If there are cuts, the ones you did cut do make sense so I commend you for that. Overall a nice roster. Not too keen on Daitouryou, but whatevs.

_fiercedeity

Smash Apprentice
Here's my newest roster:

B-b-but where's Gen 6 Pkmn Trainer? :c:crying:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Here's my newest roster:

Back to critiquing rosters. My prime art!

# of Newcomers: 14
# of Cuts: 3

What's good about this roster:
-It's got a reasonable size, near the larger end. My current roster (Which I will post in a bit)
-It has a wide variety of newcomers.
-Most of your additions seem reasonable.

What's bad about this roster:
-I'm an advocate for no cuts, but I still do wonder about you cutting Snake. He's a Third Party character (giving him contracts meaning he has a high priority)
-A heavy amount of newcomers. I expect a few cuts, but having 14 newcomers is a little big to swallow.
-A few choices with little backup. Drake's Crew? Pikmin 3 came out only recently. Unless you can back yourself up, I'm not convinced that it's a great choice.
-Charizard? Even if PT is cut, we're likely to retain the most popular character in the trio and the one with 2 Mega Evolutions.

OVERALL SCORE: 8.4/10

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's pretty nice. Black Shadow is a nice addition, so it's good to see him there. Overall pretty nice. A little big for my liking.
I feel that Sakurai and his team have quite a bit of time on their hands, enough to add a few more additions than planned.
That's where Black Shadow comes in. Besides being important to an underrepped franchise, Black Shadow can receive Ganondorf's moveset flawlessly.
Plus, he's popular.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Here's my newest roster:

Oh, you got Kawashima back.

It's quite a "dangerous" prediction roster. The Koppai captains could be unique, but I don't feel like Pikmin will get a second character.

Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, and Snake got cut, which made me sad. Did you intend for the Koppai captains to "replace" Pokemon Trainer?

Edit: A mod deleted the first part of my post. I guess it's officially taboo now. Lol.

-----

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
My roster prediction:

]
Safe and interesting for a roster, This is similar to my roster in a few cases, and I can agree with it mostly.

I'M BACK BABY!
No big changes to my roster, but man am I glad this is back.
View attachment 7968
So let's argue discuss, huh?
Seems like an interesting roster. Black Shadow is a pretty bold pick though I can see it happening. 50 Slots is what would be a likely maximum for a reasonable roster.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Care to elaborate?
Karate Joe, Rhythm Girl, Marshall, and the Wrestler are all candidates.
They could have either a timing-based moveset (think dancing blade), or in Wrestler's case, a grappling one.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I am starting to think a F Zero newcomer is more likely now. But I can't decide between adding Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow to my roster. And I can't decide who to remove in favor of Goroh/B. Shadow, as my roster is pretty big already.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I am starting to think a F Zero newcomer is more likely now. But I can't decide between adding Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow to my roster. And I can't decide who to remove in favor of Goroh/B. Shadow, as my roster is pretty big already.
I'll give you reasoning for both.
Samurai Goroh has a strong affiliation with Smash Bros, appearing in the Melee intro and as an assist trophy in Brawl.
Black Shadow has a surprising amount of popularity in Japan, and could be an easy Falcon clone if it had to come to that, possibly a Falcondorf replacement.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's my newest roster:

Who is the giant head? Isn't he from Brain Age for the DS?
Also,I'm fine with the roster. I like the Pac-Man addition,too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright, roster time.
Roster Prediction 2 Roster.png

A combination of want and expectation, mostly expectation though.

Newcomers:

- Rosalina
- King K. Rool
- Ghirahim
- Ridley
- Palutena
- Little Mac

- Lucina
- Villager
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Mega Man

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Samurai Goroh has a strong affiliation with Smash Bros, appearing in the Melee intro and as an assist trophy in Brawl.
Black Shadow has a surprising amount of popularity in Japan, and could be an easy Falcon clone if it had to come to that, possibly a Falcondorf replacement.
I guess Samurai Goroh is my choice then. Smash relevance > Easy clone

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally down for Black Shadow being playable.

Actually, I'm totally down for a second F-Zero rep in general. I've always wanted Pico to be playable. Don't know why. I just think it would be cool.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that after a while, this thread is going to dwell into hell once again, but until then I'm just going to have fun with it.

Lately I've been thinking of a concept regarding to The Wonderful 101, where you'd play as the seven main Wonder Ones at once and they'd switch places based on the attack itself. Not something like a down special type thing, every attack changes you to something else. One attack turns you into Wonder Red and you'll use Unite Hand, while another attack changes you to Wonder Blue and you'll do Unite Sword. That sort of deal.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, roster time.
View attachment 7969

A combination of want and expectation, mostly expectation though.

Newcomers:

- Rosalina
- King K. Rool
- Ghirahim
- Ridley
- Palutena
- Little Mac
- Lucina
- Villager
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Mega Man
It's a little small for my liking.
The more I think, the more Ghirahim is possible. He's very popular and the most popular Zelda choice in Japan.
Lucina is a bit strange, I expect Chrom over Lucina. Lucina is more assist material imo.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That Pikmin trio is quite interesting. Do you care to elaborate your reasoning behind this idea as well as their role in the game?
Well the idea behind Pikmin 3 is working efficiently to collect as much fruit as possible, to be effecient in Pikmin 3 is to command the 3 captains to divide and collect using your Pikmin. From a gameplay perspective, I think it makes more sense to have these three as a trio, I think there are ways to make them work:

-They could retain the same moves as Olimar.

-Each seperate captain could pluck up to 2 Pikmin (for balance purposes)

-When you throw Pikmin to the other captain, the Pikmin automatically follow the captain that's right near them.

-Like in Pikmin 3, you are able to throw the captains too, although they don't have as much range as the Pikmin, they can be thrown in the air and can attack opponents automatically when near. They can also throw Pikmin depending on fast you switch between them.

-I propose that the taunt buttons could have the captains switch to which captain you want to play as. The left button to switch to Alph, up to switch to Brittany, and right to switch into Charlie.

-When you have all Pikmin and Captains with you, the range of the Pikmin Chain is incredibly buffed.

This is only a mere small concept to what I think the trio could be like, it's pretty complicated, but I think it can work.

@RebelliousTreecko And no, the trio was not intended to replace Pokemon Trainer.

Morbi

Scavenger
Trust me, I have the same problem. It is more likely than not that the F-Zero series will get an additional representative, Sakurai treats the series very well, and it is the only franchise out of the original 10 that has yet to get an additional newcomer (I do not count Yoshi, as I interpret him as more of an extension of the Mario series, even if he wasn't, there are no pertinent characters that are blatantly obvious). Mother had its chance in Brawl, F-Zero is probably going to have its chance in Smash 4.

This is literally what it boils down to.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Black Shadow has a majority of chances. Alongside Samurai Goroh and even Pico. I feel as if he can take some of Ganondorf's clone moves,and then Ganondorf can receive new moves involving moves from actual Zelda games. Win Win.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
(I do not count Yoshi, as I interpret him as more of an extension of the Mario series, even if he wasn't, there are no pertinent characters that are blatantly obvious).
Kamek comes to mind. He is not likely for Smash 4 but is clearly the best choice for Yoshi newcomer.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
As long as they alter Charizard to emulate his Project M variant, I see no issue. I do agree though, if they port him over, as is, I am going to be fairly disappointed.
I think no one at the Smash development team will take influence from Project M, as it is a fan project and it's unlikely they'll take ideas from the game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's a little small for my liking.
The more I think, the more Ghirahim is possible. He's very popular and the most popular Zelda choice in Japan.
Lucina is a bit strange, I expect Chrom over Lucina. Lucina is more assist material imo.
It's exactly 50 characters though. I've always seen that as the "golden number" of fighting game rosters, so to speak. If anything, it would be smaller.

I think Chrom has a better chance too, he's more requested and more significant. But I like Lucina way better.
Plus, if Awakening gets an AT, I'm betting it will be a quirky character, like Gaius or Tharja.

Yes, I think Ghirahim is the most likely choice that isn't a clone, or Tingle.
Also, my new ridiculous wish character now is Wesker.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Kamek comes to mind. He is not likely for Smash 4 but is clearly the best choice for Yoshi newcomer.
Shy Guys are becoming more of a thing for Yoshi games,but that will probably not happen since they're reconfirmed as Stage hazards for the 3DS stage Rainbow Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom