• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Finally open again eh? Well I've updated my roster with Lucario's new render, another space coloured in!

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, roster time.
View attachment 7969

A combination of want and expectation, mostly expectation though.

Newcomers:

- Rosalina
- King K. Rool
- Ghirahim
- Ridley
- Palutena
- Little Mac
- Lucina
- Villager
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Mega Man
You already know that I like your rosters as they contain two characters that I closet support (Lucina and Ghirahim). Other than that, it seems entirely reasonable. You may be correct in the end, I can certainly imagine a Smash game with Ghirahim in it. I believe that your predominant argument is flawless, it isn't fair to completely dismiss Ghirahim just because he has only made one appearance. There is no precedent or objective fact to serve as evidence for this preconceived notion, so it is entirely possible that we may see the fabulous swordsmen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Finally open again eh? Well I've updated my roster with Lucario's new render, another space coloured in!
For all characters (including ZSS and Shiek) I give it a 46/50.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh hey look it's open. :D
Here's my newest roster:

The only notable addtion to the roster is the Alph, Brittany, and Charlie trio. I feel like they could be a possible, very unique addition with a trio being extremely diverse on it's own.
Drake's Crew is an idea a 7 year old can come up with.
I don't mean that in a bad way.

My 7 year old brother actually proposed the idea of a swapping Alph, Britanny, and Charlie team to me.
He said that they would have the same attacks, but each would be unique in stats.
Alph would do best in power, be OK in speed, but be bad in defense.
Brittany would be best in speed, OK in defense, but be bad in attack.
Charlie would be best in defense, OK in attack, but be bad in speed.
He also threw in that Deoxys from Pokémon could have a similar gimmick.

I really like the idea.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I can certainly understand Star Fox and DK on this roster getting 4 Represenatives, but I feel that Kirby would get something new to play as in addition.
Other than that, I really like this roster and would play it. Bringing back Roy and Mewtwo is totally in my book and certainly can happen, with no cuts.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't mean that in a bad way.

My 7 year old brother actually proposed the idea of a swapping Alph, Britanny, and Charlie team to me.
He said that they would have the same attacks, but each would be unique in stats.

I really like the idea.
I don't think it there should be buffs and debuffs for each captain, as it would make the characters way too complicated to master IMO. Just give them the same stats.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You already know that I like your rosters as they contain two characters that I closely support (Lucina and Ghirahim). Other than that, it seems entirely reasonable. You may be correct in the end, I can certainly imagine a Smash game with Ghirahim in it. I believe that your predominant argument is flawless, it isn't fair to completely dismiss Ghirahim just because he has only made one appearance. There is no precedent or objective fact to serve as evidence for this preconceived notion, so it is entirely possible that we may see the fabulous swordsmen.
I love reading the things you type. It is so verbose and also insightful.

If I remember correctly, once upon a time, you did not support Ghirahim. How interesting. I do believe my adamant support caught on.
I could list a million reasons why he could be included, as the reasons why he shouldn't are well-known.

Lucina is just a beautiful character overall. Also, she is Fire Emblem's Future Trunks. Ergo, my favorite DBZ character.

edit: YES! You are also Wesker!

kylexv

Smash Master
My new roster:
Predictions.png

If you look at my roster in the prediction display thread, I added Ike and replaced Pac-Man for Snake.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Roster Prediction Roster.png

Changed my roster a little bit. Removed Bandana Dee, Pacman and Robin. Added Samurai Goroh and Chrom. Characters to the far right were considered but did not make it in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My new roster:
View attachment 7972
If you look at my roster in the prediction display thread, I added Ike and replaced Pac-Man for Snake.
Hm, a very safe prediction, I must say.

It seems to be based more on relevance than requests, which is reasonable. And cutting Pacman is always a good idea in my book.
Miis would only bother me because of the characters we would have to give up for them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 7975

Changed my roster a little bit. Removed Bandana Dee, Pacman and Robin. Added Samurai Goroh and Chrom. Characters to the far right were considered but did not make it in.
44/48. All of my ratings are off 4 for some reason... For your Rejected List,which I also rated,11/12.

Morbi

Scavenger
I love reading the things you type. It is so verbose and also insightful.

If I remember correctly, once upon a time, you did not support Ghirahim. How interesting. I do believe my adamant support caught on.
I could list a million reasons why he could be included, as the reasons why he shouldn't are well-known.

Lucina is just a beautiful character overall. Also, she is Fire Emblem's Future Trunks. Ergo, my favorite DBZ character.
It is entirely dependent on your perception of "support," while it may be true that I never truly supported Ghirahim in the more contemporary sense, I didn't feel it was necessary. There are certain characters that I just want in Smash, my request list is usually articulate with evidence to support each character; contrary to popular belief, I do actually have characters that pertain to my interests, even if they aren't necessarily ideal. Ghirahim was one of those, in fact, he is the only one that I have ever asserted on a public forum. Other characters, like Lucina, I do believe to be likely in one way or another. Lucina could be an extension of Chrom, an assist trophy, perhaps even a background element. The distinction between "want" and "want because it is likely" is the most relevant notion pertinent to this discussion. Conversely, I didn't necessarily want Ghirahim as I arbitrarily found him to be unlikely.

I have always thought that Ghriahim satisfies Sakurai's criteria. I must admit, I was once fallacious in presuming that his predetermined role was lesser than some more prominent character. However, as you stated, I have come around. Ghirahim will be the surprising character, the good surprising character, the character that I do not expect, but I would be elated to witness his inclusion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I want to give everyone a heads up in that you should avoid double posting here. If no one replies after you, you can simply edit your last post.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Nice looking roster.

Looks aside, there's a couple things bothering me.

don't know how likely 2 retro characters are.
Kirby should have 4 characters before star fox. If you just add, I don't know, dark matter or someone, it should be fine.

All these are my opinion.

Also you may have forgotten about little Mac. I know I have before personally.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

I really like the idea.
Having the same moveset but with different attributes is just begging for crippling flaws.

The moveset and the character's attributes should compliment each other, so when you modify one attribute but don't modify the other, it can create an awkward slog of a character. Hence why you'll need to make adjustments to moves in order to compliment the differing attributes, it's like adjusting the amount of ingredients you'll make for a cake.

Also, you got to be more specific about what the differing traits are. What the hell does defense refer to? Shield size? Rolling speed? Weight? Range?

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
In terms of visuals, this is fantastic. The only major things I'm unsure about here would be Krystal, and the lack of Little Mac. Overall though, pretty good.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Sometimes I wish we had a prediction forum game where you can earn and lose points for not having or having a character. If anyone participated on it, I bet it would a bit pressuring to put a character like the Mii, but then earn points for having a prediction right, or like in a situation where there are only 3 3rd parties, and Pac-Man is the third, people who putted Snake on their rosters would lose points for having him in the roster. Oh well I always got Smash 5 to prepare for. :p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't mean that in a bad way. My 7 year old brother actually proposed the idea of a swapping Alph, Britanny, and Charlie team to me.
I really like the idea.
Your brother sounds like adorkable.

It is entirely dependent on your perception of "support," while it may be true that I never truly supported Ghirahim in the more contemporary sense, I didn't feel it was necessary. There are certain characters that I just want in Smash, my request list is usually articulate with evidence to support each character; contrary to popular belief, I do actually have characters that pertain to my interests, even if they aren't necessarily ideal. Ghirahim was one of those, in fact, he is the only one that I have ever asserted on a public forum. Other characters, like Lucina, I do believe to be likely in one way or another. Lucina could be an extension of Chrom, an assist trophy, perhaps even a background element. The distinction between "want" and "want because it is likely" is the most relevant notion pertinent to this discussion. Conversely, I didn't necessarily want Ghirahim as I arbitrarily found him to be unlikely.

I have always thought that Ghriahim satisfies Sakurai's criteria. I must admit, I was once fallacious in presuming that his predetermined role was lesser than some more prominent character. However, as you stated, I have come around. Ghirahim will be the surprising character, the good surprising character, the character that I do not expect, but I would be elated to witness his inclusion.
That's my main reason I support him too, he does fit Sakurai's criteria in a way. I can never trust my own opinion, though, as I could just as well be blind to the glaring flaws in his chances.

I tend to separate character Support into these mental categories:

- Support because I really like and want this character.
- Support because the character has a very likely chance.
- Support because many others want this character and I want to help the cause.
- Support because it's a ridiculous concept no one else thought of.

Ghirahim fits into the first category for me, obviously.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Its honestly debatable between Dark Matter and Bandanna Dee, its just chandalure brainwashed everyone with his bandana propaganda.
You know, others had a hand in this matter :demon:. I've discussed my thoughts on Bandana Dee before and I'd love to have a discussion about it. But right now, seems like we're mostly critiquing new rosters!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Its honestly debatable between Dark Matter and Bandanna Dee, its just chandalure brainwashed everyone with his bandana propaganda.
I don't consider Dark Matter plausible by any means.
I can't explain it, I really just don't see it happening. At all.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Honestly I see Bandana Dee as the obvious forerunner for a 4th Kirby character. THat being said, Sakurai could throw an oddball at us and not pick an obvious choice like how he chose Rosalina over B. Jr, Toad, or Waluigi.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
James did not forget Little Mac.
He simply does not find Mac as likely as everyone else.
I think it's insane to not have Mac on any prediction roster, he's pretty much a shoo-in and has at this point, and removing Mac from your roster seems rather awkward to me, eventually he'll be revealed and anyone who didn't have Little Mac should really think harder about their predictions.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I can certainly understand Star Fox and DK on this roster getting 4 Represenatives, but I feel that Kirby would get something new to play as in addition.
Other than that, I really like this roster and would play it. Bringing back Roy and Mewtwo is totally in my book and certainly can happen, with no cuts.
I doubt another Kirby character in general, we had to wait till Brawl just to get Meta Knight and Dedede, Sakurai probably doesn't want to add another.

I like this roster but I don't believe we'll get 50 characters. Probably around 43-45.
50 is a very realistic number, this is only 13 newcomers, no cuts, and two Melee returnees.

don't know how likely 2 retro characters are.
Kirby should have 4 characters before star fox. If you just add, I don't know, dark matter or someone, it should be fine.

Also you may have forgotten about little Mac. I know I have before personally.
Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch in Melee, Pit and R.O.B. in Brawl, Takamaru and Lip in SSB4. It could happen.

I don't believe that, no series really deserves reps more than another, Star Fox can have four while Kirby stays at three, Zelda is still at the same reps on here.

And no, I didn't forget Big Mac Jr. I'm sticking to my guns on that "leak" being false, I'll only believe Little Mac if he's officially announced.

In terms of visuals, this is fantastic. The only major things I'm unsure about here would be Krystal, and the lack of Little Mac. Overall though, pretty good.
Rosalina has given me renewed confidence in Krystal, Sakurai is really going for unique characters this time and that's where Krystal shines.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I think it's insane to not have Mac on any prediction roster, he's pretty much a shoo-in and has at this point, and removing Mac from your roster seems rather awkward to me, eventually he'll be revealed and anyone who didn't have Little Mac should really think harder about their predictions.
No character is a shoe-in, I wonder how badly everyone would react when if he doesn't make the cut. :troll:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I can certainly understand a lack of Little Mac, although what interests me more is your reasoning for not having him in there. Leak aside, he has moveset potential, is a popular character, just got his IP revived in the Wii Era, and the boxing ring stage.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wouldn't call him a shoo-in, but he's very likely. The only real shoo-in is Mewtwo, in my eyes.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I do agree that no character is a shoo-in. Honestly, the only character I'd be surprised not to see would be Mewtwo. I do find Little Mac to be one of the more likely.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'd personally be surprised not to see Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Palutena.
Also extremely disappointed, given that I love all three of those characters.
K. Rool and Ridley not making it would be disappointing, but more expected than these 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom