• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Mewtwo is the closest thing we have to a shoo-in, but let's face it: even he's not guaranteed to be in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is my shorthand list of the most likely unconfirmed characters:

- Mewtwo
- Chrom
- Little Mac
- Mii
- Palutena
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Takamaru
- Shulk
- New Zelda character

In that order.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

- Mewtwo
- Chrom
- Little Mac
- Mii
- Palutena
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Shulk
- New Zelda character
I agree entirely with this list. Even Chrom, coming from my background and hatred.
I agree that characters like Mii are likely, but we don't want to see them. Most of us, that is.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Metaknight, King Dedede, Yoshi, Wario, Captain Falcon, Ness, and any Nintendo IP character who solely represents their franchise are what I think are god shoo-ins.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac not being on a roster always looks weird to me. Admittedly that might just be because I see him so often on them. No third Donkey Kong character also looks off.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

- Mewtwo
- Chrom
- Little Mac
- Mii
- Palutena
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Takamaru
- Shulk
- New Zelda character

In that order.
Um, dunno about chrom. Tactition could easily be there instead. Everything else I agree on.

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
Just a repost from another "closed" article but here is my argument about why a big battle between characters is in the pokemon francise against Jigglypuff vs. Mewtwo (if there is only 4 slots)
and if there is 5 slots then Mewtwo vs. a Newcomer

Sakurai likes to represent big franchises as a whole and not just add characters from only a part of the franchise
Generation 1 has alot of reps even without Mewtwo or Jigglypuff
Gen 1
1.Pikachu 2.Jigglypuff 3.Ivysaur 4.Squitle 5.Charizard 6.Mewtwo
Newer Gens
1.Lucario

In all honesty pkm trainer with the same pokemon is guarnteed because of X&Y re-introducing the starters and Sakurai likes him and his unique gameplay.
Lucario never, NEVER had any chance of NOT getting in. (Play any pokemon game after gen 3)
Really it comes down to if pkm either gets 5 reps and/or Jiggly and Mewtwo will fight for a spot.
Why (and) if we do have 5 reps...it is because Sakurai wants to represent series (all of them not just pkm) as a whole and not just 1 part of its history.
So if 5 reps happen then it will be Mewtwo vs. (in all honesty these 2 Zoroark and Blaziken)
Here are reasons to doubt them both. (reasons for should be self evident)

Now lets consider things that might hurt what everyone thinks will get in Mewtwo
1. was a low priority character in brawl with Jigglypuff being much higher prio then him
2. Having 2 Mega-evolutions hurt his chances because adding one without the other alienates the people who bought the other pokemon game. (Though he can just not have Megas at all but that brings it to the next point)
3. He has lost alot of traction in the newer games. In pokemon X&Y even though used as marketing material (just like Lucario, Blaziken, and to a point Jiggs) his status in the game is non-existent and completely avoidable.
4. His fanbase is not as big as it used to be. NOW WAIT before you kill me yes he was in a recent pokemon movie (for 20min then lost and left forever) but he was seriously underplayed in the movie and not a main focus.
5. In Japan he is not that popular. (Sakurai does make alot of decisions based on japan)

Things that could hurt Jigglypuff
6. Sakurai wants to have more newer generation representation.
1. Really not as popular in the US as she was. (japan she still is very popular)
2. Sakurai wants to have more newer generation representation.
3.Thats really it.....not really anything else.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's the harsh truth.
Miis? Chrom? They are likely.
Miis are important Nintendo figures now, being the stars of some of the most successful video games of all time.
Chrom isn't important perse (and neither is Roy) but Awakening is the game responsible for saving the franchise from extinction. I'd say that counts for something.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
In the words of SephirothKen, Chrom could go either way. Depends on whether or not Sakurai sees enough in the character imo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's the harsh truth.
Miis are important Nintendo figures now, being the stars of some of the most successful video games of all time.
Chrom isn't important perse (and neither is Roy) but Awakening is the game responsible for saving the franchise from extinction. I'd say that counts for something.
Plus, Chrom has strong arms.

Ladies love strong arms.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Here's the harsh truth.
Yeah, as much as I support and want Robin, Chrom does have a greater chance.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

Care to say that again?

As far as newcomers go though, I would put Mewtwo, Mac, and Palutena WAY up there.
What does Mr. Irrelevant have anything to do with this? Mario's so obscure. :awesome:
In all seriousness though, let me rephrase what I meant to say:
No one not in 64 or Melee or anyone who got cut from any game are "shoo-ins".

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Chrom is still easily the most likely FE rep imo, despite my hatred for him in Smash. Still, FE is that one franchise where I feel that anything could happen.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
If Chrom was more unique he'd be easily top 5 likelihood imo. That's the only real thing holding him back asides from his competition.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

- Mewtwo
- Chrom
- Little Mac
- Mii
- Palutena
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Takamaru
- Shulk
- New Zelda character

In that order.
I find Takamaru being that low and Chrom being that high questionable. We already know we're getting a retro character, and while it isn't necessarily Takamaru, at this point it's hard to imagine any other one having much of a chance.

Also Chrom isn't exactly Mr. Diversity, which was why Ike and Roy were included (yes Roy). I mean he's still got a fair shot, but second most likely? I doubt it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Just wanting everyone to know that Ridley is still the god-king of all things Speculative Smash, with K. Rool as his scheming accountant and advisor. Palutena is their secretary/first lady, and Little Mac is the general. Mewtwo, of course, is the cornerstone upon which their empire is built, with a lovely statue in the town square.

Their impressive and deadly army includes Ghirahim, Medusa, Andy/Sami, Isaac, Shulk, Bandana Dee, Mona, and Waluigi. Or Bowser Jr. Whichever you want.

Pac-Man is their whipping boy.

NOW LET'S DISCUSS SOME GODDAMN CHARACTERS.

Who do you fine folks feel is the most likely character to be this game's hype machine? I'm personally thinking Mewtwo, though Ridley is another obvious option (albeit one that's only applicable in the West), and K. Rool is certainly nothing to poke a stick at.

While Little Mac and Palutena are plenty popular, I feel that they both have much higher chances of being included than the other two members of the Elite Four, and, as such, are more expected. The lack of surprise takes a bit of the hype away.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If Chrom was more unique he'd be easily top 5 likelihood imo. That's the only real thing holding him back asides from his competition.
Personally I still consider Chrom around there in likelihood, but I agree, Chrom doesn't really have anything that makes him stand out.
Then again, this is Sakurai we're talking about, and if I recall we said the same thing about Rosalina.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I wouldn't mind Chrom. Fire Emblem in general was never that appealing to me. But I loved playing as Ike in Brawl. Give me Ike and I'm fine.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Chrom. Fire Emblem in general was never that appealing to me. But I loved playing as Ike in Brawl. Give me Ike and I'm fine.
Fire Emblem characters in Smash always seemed somewhat boring to me.
It just seems like a bunch of sword slashing, which may be a reason why I didn't get into the series until Awakening.
I wish that they added a FE character like Anna that could show off aspects of FE never before seen in Smash.
And she doesn't even have to do that really. She could use items from her shop, like a dagger or a grappling hook. Let's be creative, come on.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I find Takamaru being that low and Chrom being that high questionable. We already know we're getting a retro character, and while it isn't necessarily Takamaru, at this point it's hard to imagine any other one having much of a chance.

Also Chrom isn't exactly Mr. Diversity, which was why Ike and Roy were included (yes Roy). I mean he's still got a fair shot, but second most likely? I doubt it.
We know we're getting a retro character? Find me proof, that is interesting.

And Chrom, while not immediately seen as unique, is the main character of an extremely profitable game for Nintendo, and is also popular himself. That list is a WIP, though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's how I rate the characters in terms of likeliness.
- Mewtwo
- Little Mac
- Palutena
- Takamaru
- DK Newcomer (K. Rool OR Dixie, possibly both)
- Mii
- Ridley
- Shulk

Note, I definitely didn't include everyone.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Who do you fine folks feel is the most likely character to be this game's hype machine? I'm personally thinking Mewtwo, though Ridley is another obvious option (albeit one that's only applicable in the West).
Ridley would be hype. Mewtwo's return would be hype. K. Rool would be hype. Simon "god damn" Belmont would be so hype.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We know we're getting a retro character? Find me proof, that is interesting.

And Chrom, while not immediately seen as unique, is the main character of an extremely profitable game for Nintendo, and is also popular himself. That list is a WIP, though.
It'll take a while to dig up, but it's from the January 2012 issue of Nintendo Power.

When talking about Uprising Sakurai said he had another classic character who could have a series revival like Pit in mind for the next Smash.

And Chrom still comes down to Sakurai's opinion though, who has shown to prioritize diversity when choosing FE characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's how I rate the characters in terms of likeliness.
- Mewtwo
- Little Mac
- Palutena
- Takamaru
- DK Newcomer (K. Rool OR Dixie, possibly both)
- Mii
- Ridley
- Shulk

Note, I definitely didn't include everyone.
Putting "DK newcomer" instead of any names makes this more plausible.

It'll take a while to dig up, but it's from the January 2012 issue of Nintendo Power.
When talking about Uprising Sakurai said he had another classic character who could have a series revival like Pit in mind for the next Smash. And Chrom still comes down to Sakurai's opinion though, who has shown to prioritize diversity when choosing FE characters.
Neat. That's cool.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I don't know what about Fire Emblem's Smash roster has screamed "diversity" to you, but I don't see it.
Sakurai said he chose Roy because the fire made him stand out and he chose Ike because he wanted a heavy swordsman. That's really the diversity in FE's Smash roster.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know what about Fire Emblem's Smash roster has screamed "diversity" to you, but I don't see it.
Sakurai has stated he chose Ike because he liked the diversity he brought compared to Marth (a heavy-sword wielder) and Roy because he diversified himself as a Marth clone more than Lief did (with t3h ph1r3 and all).
EDIT: I'm too slow. :p

You'll find the sources in the info/development thread.

bionic

Smash Rookie
NNID
bionicsonic
I think The Moon from Majora's Mask should be in Smash Bros. He is too big but you can just downscale him and he wouldn't look ******** what-so-ever. He also has great potential for a moveset.. like... he could... um... he... Sakurai can think of something okay jeez.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think The Moon from Majora's Mask should be in Smash Bros. He is too big but you can just downscale him and he wouldn't look ******** what-so-ever. He also has great potential for a moveset.. like... he could... um... he... Sakurai can think of something okay jeez.
YOU CAN'T MAKE THE MOON SMALLER, IT WOULD RUIN HIS CHARACTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom