• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
To people new to competitive smash yes tiers cause all kind of despair. Just look around you should be able to find tons of people angry with the tier spot their character gets. What do they do? Debate with all their might that their character isn't bad, say they are going to win tournament after tournament using said character, or they are just going to look up and find a few good people who do well with said character as proof of their character's greatness.

I think people also need to realize that tiers don't really affect casual play. I am sure there are tiers for that kind of play but we don't dwell on them we just think of the competitive scene.

I am getting a lot of flak on another site about how Captain Falcon is awful. I was thinking about linking the Captain Falcon thread I saw.

Fox isn't bad he just isn't as good as he used to be. I still enjoy picking him up from time to time.

Some of us aren't tier obsessed. We choose characters we like rather than the best on the tier list. Some of us have been playing our current main since smash 64. I just got lucky and found that playing as ROB, olimar, Toon Link, Diddy, Pit, and Marth are all incredibly fun to play as.

It is not like tiers are the end all. Matchups play a role. Most importantly skill plays the largest role. Good players can win with bad characters. I think it is a good challenge for a player to use a low tier and win a tournament with them.
like chu, taj, aniki, mikael, gimpy. to name a few melee low tier pros.

To people new to competitive smash yes tiers cause all kind of despair. Just look around you should be able to find tons of people angry with the tier spot their character gets. What do they do? Debate with all their might that their character isn't bad, say they are going to win tournament after tournament using said character, or they are just going to look up and find a few good people who do well with said character as proof of their character's greatness.

I think people also need to realize that tier lists don't really affect casual play. I am sure there is tier list for that kind of play but we don't dwell on them we just think of the competitive scene.

I am getting a lot of flak on another site about how Captain Falcon is awful. I was thinking about linking the Captain Falcon thread I saw.

Fox isn't bad he just isn't as good as he used to be. I still enjoy picking him up from time to time.

Some of us aren't tier obsessed. We choose characters we like rather than the best on the tier list. Some of us have been playing our current main since smash 64. I just got lucky and found that playing as ROB, olimar, Toon Link, Diddy, Pit, and Marth are all incredibly fun to play as.

It is not like tiers are the end all. Matchups play a role. Most importantly skill plays the largest role. Good players can win with bad characters. I think it is a good challenge for a player to use a low tier and win a tournament with them.

Not to say I don't agree with your post, but I have to say I'm getting slightly annoyed at how Tiers and the Tier lists are commonly thought as one in the same.

*Copypasta being formed, will be shown at later time*

Corigames

Smash Hero
like chu, taj, aniki, mikael, gimpy. to name a few melee low tier pros.
I hope you know that some of those low tier pros didn't play those low tier characters in the tournament scene and that they had higher tiered characters to play when against good players or when money was on the line.

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
I've played at a couple of tournaments in Florida lately and judging by the popularity and beastliness of characters, this is my tier list:

Top:

Snake
Meta Knight
R.O.B.

Very High:

Mr. Game and Watch
Falco
Marth

High:

King Dedede
Pikmin and Olimar
Wolf
Toon Link
Pit
Kirby
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers

Middle:

Wario
Squirtle
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Pikachu
DK
Lucas
Luigi
Fox
Mario
Ness
Peach
Yoshi
Ivysaur

Low:

Link
Bowser
Ike
Sheik
Sonic
Charizard
Samus

Bottom:

Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
I've played at a couple of tournaments in Florida lately and judging by the popularity and beastliness of characters, this is my tier list:

Top:

Snake
Meta Knight
R.O.B.

Very High:

Mr. Game and Watch
Falco
Marth

High:

King Dedede
Pikmin and Olimar
Wolf
Toon Link
Pit
Kirby
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers

Middle:

Wario
Squirtle
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Pikachu
DK
Lucas
Luigi
Fox
Mario
Ness
Peach
Yoshi
Ivysaur

Low:

Link
Bowser
Ike
Sheik
Sonic
Charizard
Samus

Bottom:

Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

D3 and DK should go up
and Olimar and Kirby down

Also, keep the PT's Pokemon together since you can't just use one of them.

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I have a question- has anybody seen any Falco mains whom are really good?

I now main Falco (Plus Olimar and Marth), but I feel like his only killing strategy really is setting people up for a spike...

Of course this is only in Brawl... In Melee I play Fox! (Woohoo!)

SF

Emperor Time

Smash Lord

I now main Falco (Plus Olimar and Marth), but I feel like his only killing strategy really is setting people up for a spike...

SF
*is a good Falco main*

Anyway, Falco has plenty of kill moves: Fsmash, Usmash, Bair,Uair, Dair, and I guess Dsmash in some situations.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Look again at the rankings chart. Olimar shot up for june! YEAH!
I was surprised when I saw how high Oli was. Still, I don't expect him to hang there once more tourny's come in and standings normalize. But it is impressive, nonetheless.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
Chu mained ICs IIRC, he MADE them Mid Tier, Taj only used Mewtwo against scrubs and used IIRC Sheik. You're spot on on the others though.
I hope you know that some of those low tier pros didn't play those low tier characters in the tournament scene and that they had higher tiered characters to play when against good players or when money was on the line.
i shouldve put not top/high tiered pros. my mistake.
and yes i know that those werent major tournament or money match mains.
chu won tournaments but then again ice climbers are mid, not low.
i was just naming some pros that did have mains that werent top/high tiers.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
JasonLovesKelsey said:
Well, seeing as how this is the 'Official Tier Discussion' post I figured that maybe I could talk about tiers here. But I guess I was wrong. I can only be flamed for expressing opinion different from the mainstream. And yes I do know how tiers work and I think they're horrible, people should play with their favorite characters, not characters that other people deem 'Top Tier'. But, I digress, It's best that we all stop now before someone gets banned for flaming. I sincerly apologize if any of you saw this as trolling.
You are wrong. This is where we discuss where the characters should be placed in the tiers, not our personal opinions on the tiers themselves.

EDIT: ****, I just realized I'm a couple pages away from that post. Disregard, etc.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, if someone lets the Tier list dictate what character they play, they are just power gaming the meta. I play Pit because I feel most comfortable with him. If I wanted to make sure I win every match ever, I would get good with Snake right now, or possibly MK because they have been proven to win tournaments. He is just assuming that the organization of characters means that everyone follows the list like it is an instructional pamphlet on how to play the game. It's not. And, BTW, when you assume, you make an *** out of you and me.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, if someone lets the Tier list dictate what character they play, they are just power gaming the meta. I play Pit because I feel most comfortable with him. If I wanted to make sure I win every match ever, I would get good with Snake right now, or possibly MK because they have been proven to win tournaments. He is just assuming that the organization of characters means that everyone follows the list like it is an instructional pamphlet on how to play the game. It's not. And, BTW, when you assume, you make an *** out of you and me.
But, of course the tier list dictates what all of us tounytards use, don't you remember how it was in melee. Remember no items, fox only, final destination?!

Because obviously everyone only used fox and final destination...[sarcasm]

Seriously, evangelical casuals assume that we play in a certain way and no amount of telling them the truth will convince them otherwise, because if they believe it as a community, it's easier to make fun of us.

Hell, a lot of them STILL think it's fox...

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I think some of you guys are forgetting the major reason why tiers are created. Don't take them as "OMFGZ MK IS TOPS TIRE I MUSTZ UES HIM!!".

Tiers serve as an imformative list to tell people which characters get used the most and which characters win the most. Therefore, when Timmy goes to a tournament he knows he will have to face alot of Snakes and MKs, but it doesn't mean he won't/can't get whooped by a C.Falcon player.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I haven't been in this thread in several days, but judging by the last page (aka the only page I ever read), I'm guessing someone came in saying "LOL TIERS R 4 QUEERS IKE IS THE BEST FIGHTER IN THE GAME!"
Am I in the right ballpark?

Corigames

Smash Hero
"LOL TIERS R 4 QUEERS" is exactly what he said in big, bold letters and then tried to defend it and then whined for getting flamed by semi-knowledgeable posters.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace

Corigames

Smash Hero
How can you tier a party game?
We have a tier list for Brawl don't we?

:laugh: Sounds like it. I wasn't there, but SRK currently has a 'tiers for non-fighters' thread going on. I'm tiering the weapons in Metroid Prime right now.
Missiles = god-tier basically.
Just Prime? Hm... I'd have to put the Ice Beam pretty high. Once you shoot nearly anything with even an uncharged blast it becomes frozen. Then, it only takes one missile to shatter it. I'd say, even with out the missiles, a freeze lock beam is pretty powerful.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman

SF
Check out Sethlon if you haven't, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
We have a tier list for Brawl don't we?

Just Prime? Hm... I'd have to put the Ice Beam pretty high. Once you shoot nearly anything with even an uncharged blast it becomes frozen. Then, it only takes one missile to shatter it. I'd say, even with out the missiles, a freeze lock beam is pretty powerful.
I put the Ice Beam at low tier, actually. The thing is slow as hell, and it fires about once every ten million years, which is really annoying. The top tier for me was the Missile Launcher and the Wave Beam.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ vid: Lucas is the best character and Yoshi, Peach, Link, and Falcon are high tier.

I really can't tell if he's being serious or not...

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
So what is the most up-to-date tournament-results-based tier list currently?

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace

SF
I played a pretty good Falcon online from AiB.... He's not well-known or anything but hes pretty good....

there's also Artifrice

...There's a lot of good Falcos

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I'm not of the mind that Ike is terribly good, cheap, top of the mountain, whatever. But I'm unaware of what truly crushing weaknesses he has (except for horizontal recovery, of course), and I'm not sure why some say the guy honestly sucks, not just in relation to other characters, but in general. What kills him as a character?

Fishbrawler

Smash Rookie
Personaly i don't think that brawl has tires, everyone has quick attacks, powerful attacks, and with all of the tactics (spelling) everything evens out. Just my oppinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom