• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I really dont get why you put luigi in the bottom tier he has amazing aerials, no lag, fire punch, amazing fsmash, decent projectile, amazing recovery. You must be playing a different game...cuz luigi is teh pwn
yeah... most of that list is way effed up... seriously.... wario bottom teir? samus top? sheik above zelda? just a few of the obvious n00b mistakes.

I'd make my own teir list, but I realize that I'm not good enough with enough characters to make one that is valid

and what's with all the wolf love I see? falco is clearly the best space animal with the most disruptive blaster and a chain throw. Wolf does okay in FFAs whan he's not committing suicide, but in 1 V. 1s he just seems WAY to easy to get around.

edit: nes doesn't have all his tricks at all.... the DJC was removed, and that was a BIG part of his game.

Browny

Smash Hater
how is ike faring in 1vs1..

i was under the impression he would fail, just like all the slow characters do, but i find myself winning more 1vs1's with ike than i do with any of my mains, i only play ike as like a 7-8th main

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
how is ike faring in 1vs1..

i was under the impression he would fail, just like all the slow characters do, but i find myself winning more 1vs1's with ike than i do with any of my mains, i only play ike as like a 7-8th main

Ike doesn't seem terrible.... but certain characters can just shut him down.
For example, despite clearly being nerfed to probably mid teir, sheik can still put such a hurting on ike that it's not funny. I imagine he'll match up much the same as ganondorf in many respects.

Vael

Smash Rookie
I think that Falco would be at the top, as he seems to be the best of the space animals. Samus should not be at the top, Meta Knight should definitely be lower, as he problems doing the whole killing thing. Wolf should move up to high tier, and a few other problems with that list exist in my mind.

WolvyDaPope

Smash Rookie
Although I do not want tiers, it is obvious that certain matchups are unbalanced, establishing the base for a tier list (Bowser, despite his power, is by no means an Ike or Dedede as an equal heavy fighter).

I see no problem in developing a tier list now, but this will not be the definitive one. Remeber the first tier list? Mario was the top of the second tier, snd he ended up borderline Middle Tier towards the end. I think some of the powers we see as top now, like Metaknight (I think his weight and range might be a problem that can't overcome his speed), will fall over time. As time goes on, a more realistic tier list will evolve, but for now, we can only use our current experiences.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, as I keep playing Brawl, and keep watching more and more videos and see more and more players do really well with characters who are "supposedly" bad. I think the only valid way to do a tier system at this point is based on who competes and wins in tournaments. Otherwise we just have a million lists, and a lot of time people discredit characters that have a lot more going on, than people give them credit for. Sorry about the Yoshi Bashing. At least you can't shieldstab Yoshi.

WolvyDaPope

Smash Rookie
I love Yoshi and think he is underrated, but not that underrated. I see him as low-middle, even with his buffs. Unless a super-pro Yoshi player comes around, Yoshi will be trapped in middle, but that's ok, because as said before, these tiers are not melee tiers, so a good Yoshi can still tango with a good Pit or Lucario and not get mutilated.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Marth and Snake are top tier all alone. Then people like Lucas, Dede, Rob, Wolf, MK etc. Then the scrubs like Lucario, Mario, Sonic, Etc.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Before we go on with the tier discussion, I think we need to clarify a few things. Mainly what qualifies a certain character at a certain tier. In Melee, it had a lot to do with both the potential that a character has as a killing machine versus the margin of error for that character. Pichu was an epic killing machine, but mistakes were deadly for him, as he was easy to kill and he wasn't dangerous enough for his speed. Bottom tier. Bowser was strong, but too slow, and just couldn't survive in a game where speed thrived...bottom tier. Link had good control with projectiles and was strong, but too slow, and was easily comboed and gimped....low tier. Captain Falcon was the best comboer/killer, but he got comboed into oblivion, and had a **** recovery....mid/high tier. Jigglypuff could kill at 20% and could edgeguard extremely well, making up for the fact that she's easy to kill...high tier. Fox had many recovery options and killed better and faster than anyone else....top of the tier list.

Now apply this frame of mind to Brawl. Of course, it isn't THAT easy since all the characters are reasonably good. Ganondorf, while strong, is very slow and can only really play defensively, so we say bottom tier. Mario can't really kill people, and his combo skill is easily broken by Brawl's game engine, so bottom tier. Link is very good now, since he can't get gimped like he could in Melee, but he's still slow, and his recovery sucks...low tier. Donkey Kong has a good recovery, strong attacks, decent speed, good approaches, and some gimping ability...he's still a big target, though, and lacks drastic vertical recovery, so mid tier probably. Ivysaur can get gimped easily, but she's strong and has a lot of good attacks that work offensively, defensively, and otherwise, and due to Brawl's defensive nature it's not so easy to just combo her off the ledge....so probably mid tier. Now....my favorite, Meta Knight....best recovery in the game....best damage-racking ability in the game....potent kill moves...least likely to get comboed due to multiple jumps...quick, lagless moves...great variety of useful moves....excellent range....excellent chasing ability...good at camping.....in the end, he has the versatility/speed/strength/skill to do whatever he wants, yet doesn't have to pay for it. Most definitely top tier, if not the very top of the tier list.

Use this frame of mind, and pick out a few characters, and argue their position in the tier list.

P.S. Vael, if it hasn't been mentioned, Meta Knight has absolutely no problem killing whatsoever, except possibly on walled in stages like SMI, where you're forced to kill in a specific manner, namely up. I don't know about Falco being top tier, since he only has two viable kill moves (correct me if I'm wrong).

MuBa

Smash Lord
Here's what I think. Obviously not the most accurate thing but hey I might as well add my 2 cents in.

Top------------

Toon Link
Pit
Marth
MetaKnight
R.O.B.
Snake

High----------

Captain Olimar
Wolf
Mr. G&W
Falco
Diddy Kong
Fox
Lucas
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
King Dedede
Luigi
Pikachu

Middle-----------

Ness
Mario
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Sheik
Peach
Sonic
Samus
Ice Climbers
Ike
Link
Bowser
Kirby
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
Donkey Kong

Low---------------

Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, while the logic of the tier list makes sense. You have to keep in mind, that the only really good way to measure these things are, who is winning tournaments. The last tournament I went to, I was 2nd(Link) and Ness was first. We had other characters being played including, Fox and Marth. But we still managed to beat those other characters. I think that Most of the upper tier characters got nerfed, most of the mid ranged characters got changed, but not really nerfed, and mostly of the lower tiered characters got improved, DK, Yoshi, Bowser, etc.

Examples: Marth has a range/throw nerf, Mario has a recovery nerf, Samus has a speed/power nerf, Peach had a 2nd jump/dress nerf, Sheik had a power nerf, Fox had a shine/power nerf, falco just got changed, I haven't found combos that work nearly as well as his combos from melee.

Meanwhile all the low tier characters definitely got better. Will Bowser players actually have a better chance against Marth? Marth still might be better than Bowser, but it was much closer than in Melee. If you have checked out Bowser or DK recently, you have probably noticed their hardcore horizontal recovery, compared to the recovery they had in Melee. Also, Bowser can get 2 fairs off now, and it all all faster than he was in melee when compared to the other characters.
Also, noone ever takes into consideration how well characters block. In melee small characters and some large characters have massively ****ty shields that take maybe 0 hits? Sometimes my brother's ness will be shielding and my fsmash with link just goes right through his fully charged shield. So, some characters, marth included on the ****ty shield conversation, have a lot of disadvantages noone talks about, so if you are going to hate on Link's recovery/speed, i dunno, at least he has an awesome shield, and if you are going against someone who grabs a lot just stay away from them until you hit them with a projectile or w/e, you don't have to let them grab you.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
THIS FIRST CHUNK DOESN'T REALLY HAVE TO BE READ UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO AND ARE INTERESTED ON WHY I THINK THIS WAY

Alright I'm adding my thoughts on the games current metagame and a list, that seems to me, like the future of the game. Here's what I'm thinking it will come down to in 3 years.

I’ll start with a little intro to why my thoughts may differ from yours. As you may already know, I am a dedicated random user and always have been. I’ve been committed (stubbornly) to the empty box in melee since day one. If it was the final of a tournament and I got Mewtwo when I was facing a Marth user, I wouldn’t switch, Mewtwo was my character. A long, personal story short, I stopped melee years ago, long before the ICs were even out of the armpit of peoples minds. It didn’t take long to pick it up again and catch the metagame over this last year with the help of some old smash friends fortunately. From forcing myself to use the character it would select for me, I eventually (because I had to) played literally every character and every style with each one of them at a tourney level. Every one on the tier list from Marth to Mewtwo. I did it within the first few months of melee and I did it again after a few months when I got back into it in 2007. Now that I have the ability to not even know who I am before a match starts and there is such an abundance of characters, I initially approached this game on a more universal level than a character specific one. The character specifics came into play naturally. So I’ve got a decent understanding of the entire roster, to say the least.

This may sound weird and may give the wrong impression initially or make some people think down on my thoughts but...I haven’t watched a video and I haven’t done any research on characters on my own time. Every little trick I know right now, I’ve learned on my own by trying it myself or from seeing the people I’ve played do it. Whether it was a friendly with my competitive brawling bro, or from playing the many upon many different smashers from different areas with different characters and the different level players online and traveling, I never played a battle the same twice. From all of my experiences, (and I’m sure this applies to yours) there are many things that separate the various smashers and at the same time there are many things we all have in common. Those things are what is faltering any list to date. At least any list on this forum or to my knowledge.

I’ll just come out and say it because I know we are all aware of the fact. The metagame sucks. I’ve heard stories that some people think we’ve reached the peak of Brawl. Well, that’s not from a Brawlers point of view that’s for sure. The lvl 9 CPUs are without question further ahead in terms of the games potential than any of us. Sure you can't approach them like you would approach a person. You couldn’t in melee because of the "superhuman" function. But have you tried to play like them against others? It's surprisingly easy and effective even though it may be your first time trying it. If you play a lvl 9 CPU like you would a human, you'll lose. If you don't use the uselessly stupid AI mis-haps to your advantage, you won't beat the games programmed player. Doing the normal fsmash when they're just in range will get YOU fsmashed. Then if you apply what it is they’re doing to someone else (which works well and is easier than it seems with simple techniques) you will fsmash anyone every time they try to fsmash you. Have you noticed that lvl 9s don't use smashes much at all? There is a good reason! They’ll just patiently wait for your nice wind up and smash then use something like it right back. If they can’t get the right spacing, they’ll PS you and crush you, if they space it, they’ll return the smash, if they can’t return the smash, they’ll crush you anyways. It does get a little super human sometimes, but that’s computers for you.

I have gone outside of the comfort zone for this game as a whole and unless it’s a Peach or Pikachu dsmash that’s multi-hit and quick (release and the hits), you can’t smash me with anything. Not a double him Pit fsmash or an Ike whomp. Power Shielding truly is perfect shielding and it’s an aspect of the game that will grow in time. It really isn’t any more difficult than mastering spacing or DI. It may be harder to practice than DI because you DI all the time, and harder than spacing because you space all the time, but if you try it enough you’ll know how to shield, dodge, etc, properly and maybe one day get to a point where you PS all the time just like everything else that’s natural at the moment. After all, the dodging and shielding system has changed more than spacing and directional influence and that’s clear in everyone’s mind. It’s not like we knew the potential of melees dodging and blocking system within the first few months, or year for that matter. In melee, I PS every 8<sup>th</sup> attack and I’m already at that point in Brawl. That was one of the most obvious things in my style that made me easy to pick out in a crowd. Both when I played the game in the early days and when I carried it trough to last year. Now that it’s easier and more effective, it’s a viable defensive choice possibly equal to rolling. That’s if you’re on the ground and it isn’t a laggy online match, the new defensive system in the air is something else that has changed dramatically, obviously. It has its own hidden gimmicks likes momentum decreasing and simply dodging to the ground but I won’t go into the other hundred things that I’ve been working with.

Another significant aspect that’s going almost unnoticed is something I’m just going to call a wave. If you watch a battle with characters that differ in range, speed and mobility, the new format of the game makes them flow in and out in what’s almost a pattern. It’s especially noticeable when they are taken into the air. If you want a really crappy example, but clear, the very first trailer from the dojo has a clip of Pit and MK rising and swiping at each other. That’s in a very remote way, emphasizing what we as competitive players are doing. Maybe we’re unconsciously aware of the escalating staircase we make when we chase someone into the air because we don’t. We’re busy stuck on the ground staying under the floaty opponent and moving slowly with smashes and tilts until we find the opportunity to dash upsmash when they spot dodge or try a short hop aerial on a shield. It’s somehow working for most of us though isn’t it? Maybe because that’s how everyone knows how to play the game right now. Then for some reason if you try to dash upsmashing a computer opponent and they do the simplest movement to counter it, they are called super human. Simply because they full jump with an immediate aerial to hit and evade? HAX! Something that wasn’t used in melee often I understand, but this game has a different flow. If you shield them, you can't retaliate cause they're gone, if you don't shield, you get hit and they are ALREADY chasing you. Advanced technique or just something to look at as a knew approach to the game? You know, because it’s a new game not just a new set of characters. I’m sure we’re figuring that out though.

It’s funny how this lack of combos thing came up too. They are just as accessible as melees, they just don't work the way they used to. Yes, DK can still 0-death, (utilts, uair and bairs into an upsmash?) yes, Falcon is still effective, (it took a year to bring Falcon to the same level as everyone in melee and it'll take plenty for the likes of him and his hit-on-opportunity buddy Sonic this time around too) yes, Yoshi, Ness, DK, Bowser and Jiggs are as Top Tiery as Marth... guess which character everyone always played as, continue to play as and didn't change dramatically from game to game and who were the characters that sucked, noone used, noone uses, changed a ton and only had major buffs along with having the game itself formatted in a way that better suits them... Marth is also easy to use and will always come out as better before the complicated and weird characters with new game hype. Looked down upon until looked at, I’ve said it before in this thread and I might say it again. Marth vs Yoshi and Marth wins more? I’d be very surprised if that were the case in a year from now.

You can’t have a win at all costs mind set all the time. At this point there is no point in just doing what you know will get you a win. Winning means next to nothing right now in a competitive aspect. Those approaching this game like they don’t know anything will come out on top in the end. Having battles where you try not to do the same thing twice (because really we don’t know what everything does yet) is probably the best thing right now. If you spread yourself out to see everything from every side, there’s a bigger picture. I personally love trying things out. To date I haven't played a battle with anyone without testing things that are in a way risky. Usually it’s just a subtle little thing like falling into a Uair to avoid being dodged but it’s all just done as tests. Often I'll use an aerial or dash attack or dodge or anything in a situation that is almost stupid because everyone knows that it doesn't work, and I’ll get punished badly for it, but that is a much better way to improve than doing the easy thing that everyone knows works. Surprisingly, things work that you might not think would be useful to ever bother doing. Whether it’s how high someone can go with their recovery to snap the ledge or how many times you can use an utilt before they get out of range or dodge and you can’t move into a ftilt or something to get them away anymore. Every time you grab the edge you should stop and think "what haven’t I done from here?" You never know, maybe the next 1 hit KO, Toon Link poorly DIed down smash is still to be discovered. Or just as well, something as useful as a double missile from the ledge. There’s thousands of smashers all approaching the game the same way, discovering the same things based on what is already known. Looking beyond that is what will separate the good at the moment from the good now and getting better.

"In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities; in the expert’s mind there are few." - Shunryn Suzuki

"By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart." - Confucius

I just quoted these because they were the quotes of the day today. I love quotes and they were just so relevant to this section.

I still like to play computer players every couple weeks and tried again yesterday but of course the real fun is playing people that are just as good, almost as good, or most of all, better than me. I’ve been practicing and improving dramatically in a different aspect than what the public current metagame is. Like a sidestep from what's going on with the community. Or at least this is the case with the forty plus tourney players I have played online and traveling. What I’ve somewhat discovered is probably something out of the comfort zone and train of thought for most people. Things like my good old PS where I sit back and practice that and everything you can do with it. Every attack while attacking between shields and on the move from every angle. An ROB laser will pass through me and I’ll fsmash them because they would think I’m regrouping from the hit and charge at me. Or I’ll dash, stop, a Marth will hit me with a tipper and I’ll grab him the second after. Everyone I have played in person has commented on the PS use that I’ve incorporated into my game because it stands out so much but that different view on my style is reasonable for many things under the covers right now. It’s just one example of an aspect in the game that will develop in time as a trait in the metagame to be looked at later. It seems to me that there is one thing that all of the tricks in the game lead to and it’s something that isn’t really being addressed.

First off, the defensive system is great. Camping is something everyone is looking at as a massive advantage. Well I can’t be camped anymore, and I’ve played my share of good campy Toon Links, Pits and whoever else is considered campy. PS nearly eliminates that and the dodging system in the air works wonders. The amazing range that some characters like Ike and Wolf have is something that is feared but it’s easier to get around that than it may seem. The one goal that nearly everyone has, that they push for at all costs and try looking for the best way to do it, is getting the opponent of the edge. This is where the game is going and I can tell that’s the case right now. These top tier characters (or the top tier people are thinking) are all simple and easy with edge game. We all know about Marths abilities and that quickly carried over from melee. Rangy characters and aerial mobility are thought of as the best attributes for edge game. That makes plenty of sense and is completely understandable. The ledge snapping, the great shielding, the multiple air dodges, the floaty feel, the concept of smash bros which happens to be knocking people off the stage. You have to go out there and keep them off or throw something at them. Multiple jumps, range and projectiles make this easy. What about the characters that can’t jump well like Link and Ganon, or the characters that have no range like Jiggs and Sonic? Well, that’s where that whole wave concept comes in. Why do they need to go to the edge of the stage or stand still? The wave will start coming up more often. Characters that are all confusing and noone knows how to make things work with will suddenly change as epiphanies unravel. The surface isn’t even scratched and the inside is full of everything from the amazing Bowser sideB cancels to the amazing Bowser bair edgeguarding. Of course, only time has that power and that we all know.

Enough of that? I put a tier list in this blog. The tiers don’t mean much but tiers are always there and I get to explain why I think things are going to be this way. Lets just say there are so many characters that you can argue any one of them to be higher than the others and the gaps are so small they barely exist. Some other type of chart is the only way to really capture the dynamics of the game. Indeed, balance is prominent just like the man had promised us. It’s like melee without Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Falcon, Mewtwo, Kirby, Pichu and Bowser. lol

I've included a mini explanation for everyone because they all may need explaining and if you have a question or need something more, just ask. I play every character at a top level and have played almost every character at a top level (it’s hard to find opponents that play certain characters competitively) I’ve been putting this together here and there over a couple weeks so it’s pretty much my take on the whole thing all wrapped up. I’m not expecting anyone to agree or anyone to understand completely what I’m deciding. This is my opinion based on my thoughts and that’s all. Keep in mind also, that this isn’t meant to be a current tier list. If nothing else, it’s a reference for me in the future when characters start finding their actual place. And the only reason I didn’t get this up 2 weeks ago was because I had trouble sorting out the bottom part of the tier list. It’s the most difficult part and usually ends up a little wacky for a long time.

THE ACTUAL LIST STARTS HERE, FROM WORST TO BEST

Ike - Ike has great range and priority, invincibility frames, a counter, tons of power and is surprisingly agile for having all of that. Ike has slow attacks with a few exceptions which makes him predictable but his range and power still make him effective. Risk and reward with him is about even all through his game and that is why he will always be able to compete with the best. His recovery isn’t great and his juggling game lacks with his slow attacks so he doesn’t have much room to grow. Without multiple hitting attacks, a projectile or good off stage game, he will rely a lot on spacing and controlling the center of the stage. He has many good match ups, but many bad ones and that’s what keeps him from taking over.

Sonic - Sonic may take a while longer to figure out how things work with him, but he will always lack the easy low damage kill unless it involves taking away recoveries. Fortunately, he’s excellent at gimping and can hit and run and chase better than anyone. It’s all about evade and pursuit with him. Strike on opportunity is the best way for a fast character with little range can be effective and he’s the perfect example of that. Much like other opportunistic characters, he will take a while to develop. It will probably take him longer to reach the other characters level of play simply because they have to reach that level before him so he can find when the opportunities are. Falcon from melee was a perfect example but instead of strike and pursue, Sonic will strike and evade, then repeat. He will struggle for a while though, possibly always because he simply lacks the finisher to strike with when the opportunity to finish does come up.

Ganondorf - Ganon isn’t useless, but he sure seems that way when he’s stuck on the defensive. He doesn’t have to do much to win, but it’s difficult to get things done against many kinds of characters. He has some nice little tricks and good finishers in the air and grounded but dealing the damage to finish is still needed. His recovery isn’t great and his mobility isn’t spectacular. Ganon has good traits to win both defensively and offensively but it’s either one or the other. He can play a good dodge and waiting game and a good pressure and chase game, it’s just limitted and difficult to go from defensive to offensive and vis versa with him. His sideB does make for a good counter and can turn the tables quickly but that might not be enough in the long run. He probably has something else to him, but he just doesn’t have much yet.

Lucario - When Lucario is losing, it’s pretty much a tie. When Lucario is winning, it’s still a tie. His range is what can win battles for him. It is underappreciated and is possibly his best attribute. He can juggle and has a few options for finishers. He has to play a very defensive game to win though, his finishers are almost needed for dealing enough damage to finish and usually attack negation will eliminate the way he becomes more powerful with more damage. Lucario has to play smart, with a counter, good range and good aerial game, he can match everyone if they don’t watch the damage meter.

Captain Falcon - It took a long time for him to become effective last time around because he was such a strike on opportunity character. This time, it will take the same amount of time but he really doesn’t have those attacks needed to get the easy kills. He will always be a threat with his spike, knee and land speed but it can’t be applied as efficiently. CF can still rely on his uair and dsmash to get the job done and his jab game is as good as it gets. His game will change plenty from here on as his greatly underused tilts, usmash, nair and what will possibly change the way CF plays forever, Falcon Punch. It’s fast enough to hit with and doesn’t lag enough to get punished from using it. He will go through dramatic changes and there’s no telling how effective he can be until he becomes that effective.

Fox - His speed kills like always and he has a couple good finishers that are all he really needs to be effective. He can hit and run well if he gets in trouble and he can chase very well in the air and on solid ground. He’s always a dangerous character and very effective within the right situations. He doesn’t have enough speed to make up for his lack of range though. Fox will struggle a little when it comes to a spacing game but his off stage game is still alright with good aerials and his downB stall and spike. Recovering can be risky for him and he is light but he’s fast enough to avoid letting his enemies get easy kills.Samus -

Pokemon Trainer - PT is very unique. The deciding factor in a match could very well come down to getting the right character into play at the right time. He can win any match up battle because of this advantage but he also has to take the time to get the right match up once it’s lost. He’s a risky character but is very effective if he has time to be. Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are all very good characters with their own advantages and disadvantages. It’s a fair game with PT no matter who he’s up against.

Sheik - Sheik has trouble finishing because it’s so predictable and her game all round is predictable. She is fast and can trap enemies really well so being predictable really isn’t an issue when it comes to dealing damage. She has decent range and decent edge game but she can be finished fairly easily. With a patient strike on opportunity style, she can match anyone because her speed in moving and attacking is so good. If she does get stuck in a bad match, there is always Zelda.

Jigglypuff - Jiggs has amazing approach and amazing finishers. Rest is still an incredible attack and her options have opened up as to what she can do both on the ground and in the air. She can juggle well and still dominates the best aerial characters off stage. Jiggs can turn a battle around at any moment.

Zero Suit Samus - Zamus doesn’t have anything overwhelming but she is strong in most areas. Her aerial and ground game are both fast and have plenty of range and juggling possibilities. She does lack in reliable finishers. The ones she does have take long to come out and lag so she has to be precise to get the kill. She can also be finished well without much weight or defensive abilities but she is very versatile and tough to avoid. She’s an offensive character and if she can take advantage of her strengths effectively, she will win.

Peach - Peach lacks that easy kill move but she still has great traits. She has a melee feel with her attacks but this isn’t the same Peach, it’s like if Daisy were in melee, this would be her. Her recovery is still great and her projectile is still a pain but what’s knew is that her tilts have opened up her diverse game. The dsmash still racks up damage and her aerials and usmash along with her fsmash and off stage work can get her the kills she needs. She has good defensive aggressive strategies and is fairly fast. Overall she’s a good competitor.

Link - Links battle is all about the center of the stage and moving outwards. He doesn’t have to be in the center himself, but he can control the center from anywhere. He has great projectiles and once you get past that, he has great range and power with his other attacks. The best option is to get him off the stage because he can be contained there. Getting inside on him doesn’t work very well either because of his good kicks and jabs. He’ll get you back in range of his sword then from there into his projectiles. Link is a tough competitor in many ways and if you don’t get the easy and quick kills on him by taking advantage of his great weakness in recovering, he’ll destroy any opponent no matter who it is.

Wario - Wario is fast for his size. He can juggle well, has an amazing recovery and can finish with his incredible fsmash and uair. He doesn’t need those to rack up the damage with his quick in and out aerials and his *** and grabs. His dsmash is a quick killer too but like many things, it’s risky. His bite and fart are great moves that can change the course of the battle, they aren’t just for show. He is a great character that can strike at any moment with his amazing aerial grace.

Ness - Ness has great ground and air game. He can juggle and chase many different ways and can finish well. His easily beaten recovery is his only real weakness. He can finish, has decent range and great projectiles with lots of tricks. His yo-yo is actually a smash now and his upB, bat, spike and back throw are lethal. His grab range isn’t less than a pixel anymore and his grab game is excellent.

ROB - ROB has the best recovery in the game by far. He can fly across New Pork City straight off the ground and attack at any moment with just his upB. His aerials are great stalls and he has finishers everywhere. His projectiles are effective and he can combo anyone. Great off stage game, great ground game, great air game. His attacks has range and he has defensive abilities like his dsmash if anyone gets inside. He isn’t very agile or mobile and has some lag on many of his much needed attacks so he does get punished but he is a killer if given the chance to set up the game he wants to play. He has good match ups and bad match ups. Tourney results maight faulter his placement because his good match ups are against characters that are good like Falco, and his bad match ups are against bad characters like Lucario. I believe this is where he belongs though.

Bowser - Bowser has the best power, range and speed combination with his attacks. He can take a ton of damage and his recovery is at least decent. His bad traits are that he’s a big target and he lacks mobility, which really isn’t that bad, especially with sideB jump cancels. His fire breath and the few quick attacks he does have are all deadly and plenty for him to be successful against almost any opponent.

Snake - Snake is a risky character to fight. He has many tricks like a spike, rising, guided and timed projectiles and planted traps. He is a very versatile character in many aspects and plays a much different game then the rest of the roster. He’s deceivingly fast with a wicked dash attack, has a great recovery with many nice little gimmicks to it and projectiles that kill. It’s possible to get around all of that, but his tilts are fast and kill too. He has many flaws such as lag and mobility though. Keep him moving and he’ll be in some trouble. Snake appears really good, and he is, but he has to play a well planned out game to win. If his enemies play a smart game, he might not pull out a win very often.

Pit - Pit has many multiple hitters with good range and priority. What is quite underappreciated is his diversity up close in battle. He can protect himself and he’s a threat from all angles so it’s tough to contain him. Then he has a projectile which can be the deciding factor in a match. He has reliable defensive and offensive options, little traits from reflectors to gliding. His amazing recovery can be gimped and his most effective play is fairly predictable so that will haunt him but he is a pretty safe choice. Pit is a steady character and can’t get in many bad situations, in match ups or in battle.

King Dedede - Dedede is big and slow but he doesn’t have to return much to even up a battle. He has good protection from every side so the only way to contain him is to get inside which makes only a few match ups bad for him. He has great range with literally all of his attacks so he can hit from anywhere. He has multiple jumps which gives him good off stage and aerial game and his projectile can limit the enemies options to get inside. It isn’t easy to get inside of his range but staying there is where it becomes a problem for him. If he can’t get away again, he’ll be in major trouble so it’s best to even run off stage and regroup or anything to get distance. He's possibly much better than this placement though.

Wolf - Wolf has a bizarre feel and approach to battle with odd rangy attacks and lots of options as far as chasing and combos. His recovery isn’t great but it’s fine for what he is capable of from the middle of the stage outward. He can escape any trouble with his moving attacks and what’s essentially a counter with his downB. He is tricky to play and if his enemies are off guard for a moment he can punish them quick and with plenty of force. His pathetic off stage play brings him down a good amount though.

Metaknight - He has two very feared moves and many multiple hit attacks on ground and in the air. He can chase, juggle, finish if given the chance and has great off stage game with an amazing recovery and wicked fast attacks. If he gets inside and on the offensive, his priority and attack speed are overwhelming and can easily turn into a quick chain with a finisher. Metaknight can have trouble because he is so reliant on opportunity and minimal but important spacing.

Pikmin & Olimar - His recovery is really bad and that is what makes him beatable. The depth of his character doesn’t go far right now but it will develop over a longer period. So far, he’s effective with his massive priority, range and ability to give damage and KO at a safe distance. This wont be the only thing he thrives on in the near future. He has many tricks, he just has to be experimented with. There’s a lot more to Olimar and his little Pikmin friends.

Lucas - His edge game is really where his strength is. Lucas can struggle mid stage but if he draws the battle to the edge, he can dominate from there in many ways. He does only have a few reliable finishers but he can chain attacks and chase well enough to make up for that along with his great off stage abilities.

Donkey Kong - Massive range, massive power and great speed. He can take a load of damage and dishes it out with ease. I’ve worked with DK a lot and there really aren’t many things he can’t do. He can’t be easily contained and he can contain well. Plenty of advantages with very few disadvantages in his favor in nearly every match up.

Marth - Marth has great range, power, speed and still has his aerial prowess. His game is all about spacing and keeping pressure on the enemy and he does this well. He can be overwhelming but if he loses his distance between far and near, he gets in trouble. He is an excellent character with great edge game and mid-stage dominance but it only lasts as long as his enemies are withing the distance of his sword and not his body.

Mario - I’ve worked with Mario more than anyone and I find him to be a very adaptable character. He can almost simply disable the opposition. He can combo and finish plenty and has great variety in his game all around. I like him and think he can come out winning in more match ups than not.

Ice Climbers - They rip defenses apart and have the great duo qualities that made them nearly unstoppable in melee. They’ve been buffed slightly to deal damage as fast as ever, finish many more ways and have a buffed recovery and air game both together and apart. You have to play on red alert all of the time against them.

Kirby - Sure MK might beat him in the match up but Kirby has a much greater chance against more characters than not. He can do everything well. Juggle, finish, chase, pretty much everything MK does but he has more options both offensively and defensively.

Falco - Falco is a very effective character. He has a great projectile as always and has great chasing abilities when he needs them. His sideB used just off the ground is possibly the fastest movement in the game and he has nice juggling prowess. Falco can deal damage and kill up close and is just as effective from any distance. He can contain enemies better than any.

Luigi - Luigi has many quick and powerful attacks. He is dangerous to approach and be approached by. His recovery is excellent. His priority and range is excellent. The only thing that holds him back is his slow yet mobile movement if he isn’t using is incredible tornado or mid jump. Maybe I’m giving him too much credit because I’ve worked with him a little bit more than most but he has some neat little tricks and easy kills that are going unused so far. What seems to be unique to him is that he wins when he doesn’t seem to do much, that counts for something too.

Toon Link - We all know how he has amazing projectiles, great aerial movement and recovery, can combo, can finish and has range and speed to go with it. Nothing special but I don’t think anything really needs to be said. He’s just a good balanced character.

Yoshi - This shouldn’t really be a surprise. Yoshi has always been able to finish, been able to combo, been great at dealing damage, been great in the air and had good ground game. He never was lacking in speed, power or range and all of the traits that he had from melee are still with him along with some areas getting buffed . The one thing that made him so bad was that he couldn’t even get back to the stage if he jumped twice. He couldn’t chase off stage or chase in the air and couldn’t recover without certain punishment. With no DJC, he is already a much better character. He had all of the right tools for off stage combat but could never apply them, now he can. The upB as a recovery, stall and great projectile is something that really improves is game too. He might be a little high, but not much.

Mr. Game & Watch - G&W needed one thing in melee and that was weight. He is now much heavier in Brawl so that isn’t a problem anymore. He has good quick and powerful aerial abilities all around and has all the traits needed to be effective in every area. He has good finishers, deals good damage, has good range and priority and great close in game. He really isn’t missing much. Can’t forget that his recovery and edge work can match the best in the game too.

Diddy Kong - Diddy dominates with speed, multiple hit attacks and great aerial abilities. Overall, he’s a pretty balanced character with a few little tricks to his attacks. He can pressure from every angle and can chase everywhere. His recovery is effective and tough to stop even though it can be stopped. He does lack solid easy kill moves but that doesn’t effect his play much with things like his spike, dash attack and his bananas which are very irritating and restricting when used the way Diddy can. I may be a little bold here but I believe he can at least match every other character.

Zelda - Attack negation doesn’t exist with Zelda. If something is weakened a bit, she has one of ten other magical moves to finish the job just as well. She has range that matches some of the rangiest and power behind it. With her incredible attack speed, she’s a true killer. If you’re near, she’ll give you a quick boot to the mid section with one of the fastest and most effective dsmashes. If you’re far, she’ll use what’s probably the best projectile in the game. She’ll kill you from the other side of the stage when you’re still trying to get ready to recover somewhere off screen. The wonderfully useful multi hit smashes like her upsmash and fsmash are perfect examples of why she’s dangerous. Her tilts are single hit but come out fast and kill just as well. Something that can’t be forgotten is her ability to reflect anything and of course, Sheik. If she’s in a bad match up, which I don’t know if that exists, she has plan (down)B which is a decent plan any time really. If it’s a spacing match, she has it covered, if it’s a camping match, she has it covered, if it’s a power match, she has it covered, if it’s a speed match, she has it covered. Other than a lack of mobility, which isn’t really needed with her incredible variety of attacks, she has everything.

Pikachu - Pikachu is finally getting some attention, took long enough! His tail and electricity can match any sword and some are also disjointed hitboxes. He’s heavy enough to withstand a lot and that’s if you can hit him though weight is probably his biggest weakness. He’s one of the faster characters in the game on land and in the air. With his amount of speed in every direction he’s a tricky pest. He can combo with variety and chase with the best. That’s enough to make him deadly. He has an amazing projectile. It has decent damage and knockback that allows you to follow up from quite a distance. It even falls at the perfect angle for edgeguarding and recovering from above. He has an amazing recovery with good air abilities in general along with his sideB and upB. The speed, distance and options that go along with it is actually unmatched. Pikachu has one of the best varieties of smash attacks. A great quick finisher, one kills and can’t be easily avoided or punished. Then there’s that wonderful dsmash. Multi hitting, fast and either kills, sets up for a kill or knocks them off the stage. He has one of the best moves in the game...downB. Not to mention he can combo into it with ease with nearly everything like a simple up throw. Even more threatening is his ability to take out a good chunk of certain characters damage meters with throws and good juggling. His canceled quick attack function opens up his chasing and tricking game even more. No competition for him when everything comes together.

Random - No I’m not kidding. Random is the best character, no argument can’t overthrow this fact.
1. Random can always counter pick your character by choosing a character, you can’t counter pick something you don’t know. It’s best to pick safe characters but even the safest characters can get bad match ups. Counter picking isn’t an advantage when playing against Random because it can go either way, but it’s still an advantage when Random has the choice to counter pick. This goes for stages often too.
2. A Random user will naturally become used to adapting to a character during the countdown of a match, the opposition wont be used to that. This gives Random an advantage for at least the first part of the match until the opponent finds their game against the character. I Random user wont have trouble with this because it’s an everyday thing.
3. Random has its own character box now... ISN"T THAT JUST TOO COOL?!?! OMFG!!!
I repeat just incase someone doesn’t understand, this is not a joke. If someone can actually play every character well enough to win at the highest level, with the Random function set up the way it is, they do in fact have a solid advantage.

Here’s the actual list. The order isn’t depicting much for a character within the surrounding characters but rather gives an idea on where certain characters will stand relative to others that are spaced far apart. Give or take a few characters switching tiers, I placed the gaps to generally separate where there are evident breaks all though they are so minor and insignificant.

Random
High(have good match ups but bad ones too)
Pikachu
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game & Watch
Yoshi
Toon Link
Luigi
Falco
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Middle(everyone is really here somehow)
Mario
Marth
Donkey Kong
Lucas
Pikmin & Olimar
Metaknight
Wolf
King Dedede
Pit
Snake
Bowser
ROB
Low(can beat anyone with the right match ups)
Ness
Wario
Link
Peach
Zero Suit Samus
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Fox
Captain Falcon
Lucario
Ganon
Sonic
Ike
Bottom(joke tier, Zelda destroys them)PS: this is the only joke part on the entire post, the rest is what I strongly believe
Tabuu
Master Hand
Bosses in the SSE

"End Quote"
This is what I have so far as my opinion on what it will come down to in a couple years. I posted it somewhere else but I might as well throw it on SWF too :laugh:

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
Top:
Toon Link
Pit
Marth
Game and Watch
ROB
Meta Knight
Fox

High:
Snake
Lucas
Wolf
Falco
Lucario
Dedede
Pokemon Trainer
Olimar
Pikachu
Luigi
Ness
Diddy Kong

Middle:
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Ike
Wario
Zelda/Sheik
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Sonic
Ice Climbers
Link
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Donkey Kong

Low:
Captain Falcon
Yoshi
Ganondorf

The tiers are in order, but the people within each tier are not. For instance, I'm not necessarily saying that Toon Link is better than Marth. I don't believe that we've gotten to a point in the Brawl metagame where we could establish a highly ordered tier list, so this is my rough sketch, I suppose.

Please refrain from flaming this list; it's not really a point of argumentation for me. To each his own.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Well, while the logic of the tier list makes sense. You have to keep in mind, that the only really good way to measure these things are, who is winning tournaments. The last tournament I went to, I was 2nd(Link) and Ness was first. We had other characters being played including, Fox and Marth. But we still managed to beat those other characters. I think that Most of the upper tier characters got nerfed, most of the mid ranged characters got changed, but not really nerfed, and mostly of the lower tiered characters got improved, DK, Yoshi, Bowser, etc.

Examples: Marth has a range/throw nerf, Mario has a recovery nerf, Samus has a speed/power nerf, Peach had a 2nd jump/dress nerf, Sheik had a power nerf, Fox had a shine/power nerf, falco just got changed, I haven't found combos that work nearly as well as his combos from melee.

Meanwhile all the low tier characters definitely got better. Will Bowser players actually have a better chance against Marth? Marth still might be better than Bowser, but it was much closer than in Melee. If you have checked out Bowser or DK recently, you have probably noticed their hardcore horizontal recovery, compared to the recovery they had in Melee. Also, Bowser can get 2 fairs off now, and it all all faster than he was in melee when compared to the other characters.
Also, noone ever takes into consideration how well characters block. In melee small characters and some large characters have massively ****ty shields that take maybe 0 hits? Sometimes my brother's ness will be shielding and my fsmash with link just goes right through his fully charged shield. So, some characters, marth included on the ****ty shield conversation, have a lot of disadvantages noone talks about, so if you are going to hate on Link's recovery/speed, i dunno, at least he has an awesome shield, and if you are going against someone who grabs a lot just stay away from them until you hit them with a projectile or w/e, you don't have to let them grab you.
Mario didn't have a recovery nerf lol
For combos in Brawl you have to think like a Peach melee user. They don't chain Utilts and grabs together with ease, they have to read opponents and chase and follow. That's the way I look at it anyway. I've heard from excellent melee Peach players that the transition was easy and they still combo as much in Brawl as they did in melee lol

Ok, so we have a good Sonic (Lucky) player, a good Lucario (Azen) and good MK (a bunch) same with Pits and Marths and Snakes and Dededes and Ikes and blah blah blah blah blah...........

Does anyone play Pikachu? Yoshi? Jiggs? DK? Ganon?
Nobody plays them. How the **** are you supposed to make a tier list built on tourney results when only half the roster have even been used seriously in tourneys?
Whatever, if you can go to a Pika thread and find something like "Pika has trouble with 'insert something like the hundreds of things in other threads' " then let me know, I'll be surprised. If you find a Pika user that is actually as good as one of the other players that has shown the potential of a certain character, and you play them, and they don't beat you, let me know, I'll be surprised.

I'm talking to everyone here. Not you so much Mario Knight lol

Edit: I'm glad my massive post is hidden at the bottom of the page. Nobody really needs to read my crap on such a grand scale. lol

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
THIS FIRST CHUNK DOESN'T REALLY HAVE TO BE READ UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO AND ARE INTERESTED ON WHY I THINK THIS WAY

Alright I'm adding my thoughts on the games current metagame and a list, that seems to me, like the future of the game. Here's what I'm thinking it will come down to in 3 years.

I’ll start with a little intro to why my thoughts may differ from yours. As you may already know, I am a dedicated random user and always have been. I’ve been committed (stubbornly) to the empty box in melee since day one. If it was the final of a tournament and I got Mewtwo when I was facing a Marth user, I wouldn’t switch, Mewtwo was my character. A long, personal story short, I stopped melee years ago, long before the ICs were even out of the armpit of peoples minds. It didn’t take long to pick it up again and catch the metagame over this last year with the help of some old smash friends fortunately. From forcing myself to use the character it would select for me, I eventually (because I had to) played literally every character and every style with each one of them at a tourney level. Every one on the tier list from Marth to Mewtwo. I did it within the first few months of melee and I did it again after a few months when I got back into it in 2007. Now that I have the ability to not even know who I am before a match starts and there is such an abundance of characters, I initially approached this game on a more universal level than a character specific one. The character specifics came into play naturally. So I’ve got a decent understanding of the entire roster, to say the least.

This may sound weird and may give the wrong impression initially or make some people think down on my thoughts but...I haven’t watched a video and I haven’t done any research on characters on my own time. Every little trick I know right now, I’ve learned on my own by trying it myself or from seeing the people I’ve played do it. Whether it was a friendly with my competitive brawling bro, or from playing the many upon many different smashers from different areas with different characters and the different level players online and traveling, I never played a battle the same twice. From all of my experiences, (and I’m sure this applies to yours) there are many things that separate the various smashers and at the same time there are many things we all have in common. Those things are what is faltering any list to date. At least any list on this forum or to my knowledge.

I’ll just come out and say it because I know we are all aware of the fact. The metagame sucks. I’ve heard stories that some people think we’ve reached the peak of Brawl. Well, that’s not from a Brawlers point of view that’s for sure. The lvl 9 CPUs are without question further ahead in terms of the games potential than any of us. Sure you can't approach them like you would approach a person. You couldn’t in melee because of the "superhuman" function. But have you tried to play like them against others? It's surprisingly easy and effective even though it may be your first time trying it. If you play a lvl 9 CPU like you would a human, you'll lose. If you don't use the uselessly stupid AI mis-haps to your advantage, you won't beat the games programmed player. Doing the normal fsmash when they're just in range will get YOU fsmashed. Then if you apply what it is they’re doing to someone else (which works well and is easier than it seems with simple techniques) you will fsmash anyone every time they try to fsmash you. Have you noticed that lvl 9s don't use smashes much at all? There is a good reason! They’ll just patiently wait for your nice wind up and smash then use something like it right back. If they can’t get the right spacing, they’ll PS you and crush you, if they space it, they’ll return the smash, if they can’t return the smash, they’ll crush you anyways. It does get a little super human sometimes, but that’s computers for you.

I have gone outside of the comfort zone for this game as a whole and unless it’s a Peach or Pikachu dsmash that’s multi-hit and quick (release and the hits), you can’t smash me with anything. Not a double him Pit fsmash or an Ike whomp. Power Shielding truly is perfect shielding and it’s an aspect of the game that will grow in time. It really isn’t any more difficult than mastering spacing or DI. It may be harder to practice than DI because you DI all the time, and harder than spacing because you space all the time, but if you try it enough you’ll know how to shield, dodge, etc, properly and maybe one day get to a point where you PS all the time just like everything else that’s natural at the moment. After all, the dodging and shielding system has changed more than spacing and directional influence and that’s clear in everyone’s mind. It’s not like we knew the potential of melees dodging and blocking system within the first few months, or year for that matter. In melee, I PS every 8<sup>th</sup> attack and I’m already at that point in Brawl. That was one of the most obvious things in my style that made me easy to pick out in a crowd. Both when I played the game in the early days and when I carried it trough to last year. Now that it’s easier and more effective, it’s a viable defensive choice possibly equal to rolling. That’s if you’re on the ground and it isn’t a laggy online match, the new defensive system in the air is something else that has changed dramatically, obviously. It has its own hidden gimmicks likes momentum decreasing and simply dodging to the ground but I won’t go into the other hundred things that I’ve been working with.

Another significant aspect that’s going almost unnoticed is something I’m just going to call a wave. If you watch a battle with characters that differ in range, speed and mobility, the new format of the game makes them flow in and out in what’s almost a pattern. It’s especially noticeable when they are taken into the air. If you want a really crappy example, but clear, the very first trailer from the dojo has a clip of Pit and MK rising and swiping at each other. That’s in a very remote way, emphasizing what we as competitive players are doing. Maybe we’re unconsciously aware of the escalating staircase we make when we chase someone into the air because we don’t. We’re busy stuck on the ground staying under the floaty opponent and moving slowly with smashes and tilts until we find the opportunity to dash upsmash when they spot dodge or try a short hop aerial on a shield. It’s somehow working for most of us though isn’t it? Maybe because that’s how everyone knows how to play the game right now. Then for some reason if you try to dash upsmashing a computer opponent and they do the simplest movement to counter it, they are called super human. Simply because they full jump with an immediate aerial to hit and evade? HAX! Something that wasn’t used in melee often I understand, but this game has a different flow. If you shield them, you can't retaliate cause they're gone, if you don't shield, you get hit and they are ALREADY chasing you. Advanced technique or just something to look at as a knew approach to the game? You know, because it’s a new game not just a new set of characters. I’m sure we’re figuring that out though.

It’s funny how this lack of combos thing came up too. They are just as accessible as melees, they just don't work the way they used to. Yes, DK can still 0-death, (utilts, uair and bairs into an upsmash?) yes, Falcon is still effective, (it took a year to bring Falcon to the same level as everyone in melee and it'll take plenty for the likes of him and his hit-on-opportunity buddy Sonic this time around too) yes, Yoshi, Ness, DK, Bowser and Jiggs are as Top Tiery as Marth... guess which character everyone always played as, continue to play as and didn't change dramatically from game to game and who were the characters that sucked, noone used, noone uses, changed a ton and only had major buffs along with having the game itself formatted in a way that better suits them... Marth is also easy to use and will always come out as better before the complicated and weird characters with new game hype. Looked down upon until looked at, I’ve said it before in this thread and I might say it again. Marth vs Yoshi and Marth wins more? I’d be very surprised if that were the case in a year from now.

You can’t have a win at all costs mind set all the time. At this point there is no point in just doing what you know will get you a win. Winning means next to nothing right now in a competitive aspect. Those approaching this game like they don’t know anything will come out on top in the end. Having battles where you try not to do the same thing twice (because really we don’t know what everything does yet) is probably the best thing right now. If you spread yourself out to see everything from every side, there’s a bigger picture. I personally love trying things out. To date I haven't played a battle with anyone without testing things that are in a way risky. Usually it’s just a subtle little thing like falling into a Uair to avoid being dodged but it’s all just done as tests. Often I'll use an aerial or dash attack or dodge or anything in a situation that is almost stupid because everyone knows that it doesn't work, and I’ll get punished badly for it, but that is a much better way to improve than doing the easy thing that everyone knows works. Surprisingly, things work that you might not think would be useful to ever bother doing. Whether it’s how high someone can go with their recovery to snap the ledge or how many times you can use an utilt before they get out of range or dodge and you can’t move into a ftilt or something to get them away anymore. Every time you grab the edge you should stop and think "what haven’t I done from here?" You never know, maybe the next 1 hit KO, Toon Link poorly DIed down smash is still to be discovered. Or just as well, something as useful as a double missile from the ledge. There’s thousands of smashers all approaching the game the same way, discovering the same things based on what is already known. Looking beyond that is what will separate the good at the moment from the good now and getting better.

"In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities; in the expert’s mind there are few." - Shunryn Suzuki

"By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart." - Confucius

I just quoted these because they were the quotes of the day today. I love quotes and they were just so relevant to this section.

I still like to play computer players every couple weeks and tried again yesterday but of course the real fun is playing people that are just as good, almost as good, or most of all, better than me. I’ve been practicing and improving dramatically in a different aspect than what the public current metagame is. Like a sidestep from what's going on with the community. Or at least this is the case with the forty plus tourney players I have played online and traveling. What I’ve somewhat discovered is probably something out of the comfort zone and train of thought for most people. Things like my good old PS where I sit back and practice that and everything you can do with it. Every attack while attacking between shields and on the move from every angle. An ROB laser will pass through me and I’ll fsmash them because they would think I’m regrouping from the hit and charge at me. Or I’ll dash, stop, a Marth will hit me with a tipper and I’ll grab him the second after. Everyone I have played in person has commented on the PS use that I’ve incorporated into my game because it stands out so much but that different view on my style is reasonable for many things under the covers right now. It’s just one example of an aspect in the game that will develop in time as a trait in the metagame to be looked at later. It seems to me that there is one thing that all of the tricks in the game lead to and it’s something that isn’t really being addressed.

First off, the defensive system is great. Camping is something everyone is looking at as a massive advantage. Well I can’t be camped anymore, and I’ve played my share of good campy Toon Links, Pits and whoever else is considered campy. PS nearly eliminates that and the dodging system in the air works wonders. The amazing range that some characters like Ike and Wolf have is something that is feared but it’s easier to get around that than it may seem. The one goal that nearly everyone has, that they push for at all costs and try looking for the best way to do it, is getting the opponent of the edge. This is where the game is going and I can tell that’s the case right now. These top tier characters (or the top tier people are thinking) are all simple and easy with edge game. We all know about Marths abilities and that quickly carried over from melee. Rangy characters and aerial mobility are thought of as the best attributes for edge game. That makes plenty of sense and is completely understandable. The ledge snapping, the great shielding, the multiple air dodges, the floaty feel, the concept of smash bros which happens to be knocking people off the stage. You have to go out there and keep them off or throw something at them. Multiple jumps, range and projectiles make this easy. What about the characters that can’t jump well like Link and Ganon, or the characters that have no range like Jiggs and Sonic? Well, that’s where that whole wave concept comes in. Why do they need to go to the edge of the stage or stand still? The wave will start coming up more often. Characters that are all confusing and noone knows how to make things work with will suddenly change as epiphanies unravel. The surface isn’t even scratched and the inside is full of everything from the amazing Bowser sideB cancels to the amazing Bowser bair edgeguarding. Of course, only time has that power and that we all know.

Enough of that? I put a tier list in this blog. The tiers don’t mean much but tiers are always there and I get to explain why I think things are going to be this way. Lets just say there are so many characters that you can argue any one of them to be higher than the others and the gaps are so small they barely exist. Some other type of chart is the only way to really capture the dynamics of the game. Indeed, balance is prominent just like the man had promised us. It’s like melee without Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Falcon, Mewtwo, Kirby, Pichu and Bowser. lol

I've included a mini explanation for everyone because they all may need explaining and if you have a question or need something more, just ask. I play every character at a top level and have played almost every character at a top level (it’s hard to find opponents that play certain characters competitively) I’ve been putting this together here and there over a couple weeks so it’s pretty much my take on the whole thing all wrapped up. I’m not expecting anyone to agree or anyone to understand completely what I’m deciding. This is my opinion based on my thoughts and that’s all. Keep in mind also, that this isn’t meant to be a current tier list. If nothing else, it’s a reference for me in the future when characters start finding their actual place. And the only reason I didn’t get this up 2 weeks ago was because I had trouble sorting out the bottom part of the tier list. It’s the most difficult part and usually ends up a little wacky for a long time.

THE ACTUAL LIST STARTS HERE, FROM WORST TO BEST

Ike - Ike has great range and priority, invincibility frames, a counter, tons of power and is surprisingly agile for having all of that. Ike has slow attacks with a few exceptions which makes him predictable but his range and power still make him effective. Risk and reward with him is about even all through his game and that is why he will always be able to compete with the best. His recovery isn’t great and his juggling game lacks with his slow attacks so he doesn’t have much room to grow. Without multiple hitting attacks, a projectile or good off stage game, he will rely a lot on spacing and controlling the center of the stage. He has many good match ups, but many bad ones and that’s what keeps him from taking over.

Sonic - Sonic may take a while longer to figure out how things work with him, but he will always lack the easy low damage kill unless it involves taking away recoveries. Fortunately, he’s excellent at gimping and can hit and run and chase better than anyone. It’s all about evade and pursuit with him. Strike on opportunity is the best way for a fast character with little range can be effective and he’s the perfect example of that. Much like other opportunistic characters, he will take a while to develop. It will probably take him longer to reach the other characters level of play simply because they have to reach that level before him so he can find when the opportunities are. Falcon from melee was a perfect example but instead of strike and pursue, Sonic will strike and evade, then repeat. He will struggle for a while though, possibly always because he simply lacks the finisher to strike with when the opportunity to finish does come up.

Ganondorf - Ganon isn’t useless, but he sure seems that way when he’s stuck on the defensive. He doesn’t have to do much to win, but it’s difficult to get things done against many kinds of characters. He has some nice little tricks and good finishers in the air and grounded but dealing the damage to finish is still needed. His recovery isn’t great and his mobility isn’t spectacular. Ganon has good traits to win both defensively and offensively but it’s either one or the other. He can play a good dodge and waiting game and a good pressure and chase game, it’s just limitted and difficult to go from defensive to offensive and vis versa with him. His sideB does make for a good counter and can turn the tables quickly but that might not be enough in the long run. He probably has something else to him, but he just doesn’t have much yet.

Lucario - When Lucario is losing, it’s pretty much a tie. When Lucario is winning, it’s still a tie. His range is what can win battles for him. It is underappreciated and is possibly his best attribute. He can juggle and has a few options for finishers. He has to play a very defensive game to win though, his finishers are almost needed for dealing enough damage to finish and usually attack negation will eliminate the way he becomes more powerful with more damage. Lucario has to play smart, with a counter, good range and good aerial game, he can match everyone if they don’t watch the damage meter.

Captain Falcon - It took a long time for him to become effective last time around because he was such a strike on opportunity character. This time, it will take the same amount of time but he really doesn’t have those attacks needed to get the easy kills. He will always be a threat with his spike, knee and land speed but it can’t be applied as efficiently. CF can still rely on his uair and dsmash to get the job done and his jab game is as good as it gets. His game will change plenty from here on as his greatly underused tilts, usmash, nair and what will possibly change the way CF plays forever, Falcon Punch. It’s fast enough to hit with and doesn’t lag enough to get punished from using it. He will go through dramatic changes and there’s no telling how effective he can be until he becomes that effective.

Fox - His speed kills like always and he has a couple good finishers that are all he really needs to be effective. He can hit and run well if he gets in trouble and he can chase very well in the air and on solid ground. He’s always a dangerous character and very effective within the right situations. He doesn’t have enough speed to make up for his lack of range though. Fox will struggle a little when it comes to a spacing game but his off stage game is still alright with good aerials and his downB stall and spike. Recovering can be risky for him and he is light but he’s fast enough to avoid letting his enemies get easy kills.Samus -

Pokemon Trainer - PT is very unique. The deciding factor in a match could very well come down to getting the right character into play at the right time. He can win any match up battle because of this advantage but he also has to take the time to get the right match up once it’s lost. He’s a risky character but is very effective if he has time to be. Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are all very good characters with their own advantages and disadvantages. It’s a fair game with PT no matter who he’s up against.

Sheik - Sheik has trouble finishing because it’s so predictable and her game all round is predictable. She is fast and can trap enemies really well so being predictable really isn’t an issue when it comes to dealing damage. She has decent range and decent edge game but she can be finished fairly easily. With a patient strike on opportunity style, she can match anyone because her speed in moving and attacking is so good. If she does get stuck in a bad match, there is always Zelda.

Jigglypuff - Jiggs has amazing approach and amazing finishers. Rest is still an incredible attack and her options have opened up as to what she can do both on the ground and in the air. She can juggle well and still dominates the best aerial characters off stage. Jiggs can turn a battle around at any moment.

Zero Suit Samus - Zamus doesn’t have anything overwhelming but she is strong in most areas. Her aerial and ground game are both fast and have plenty of range and juggling possibilities. She does lack in reliable finishers. The ones she does have take long to come out and lag so she has to be precise to get the kill. She can also be finished well without much weight or defensive abilities but she is very versatile and tough to avoid. She’s an offensive character and if she can take advantage of her strengths effectively, she will win.

Peach - Peach lacks that easy kill move but she still has great traits. She has a melee feel with her attacks but this isn’t the same Peach, it’s like if Daisy were in melee, this would be her. Her recovery is still great and her projectile is still a pain but what’s knew is that her tilts have opened up her diverse game. The dsmash still racks up damage and her aerials and usmash along with her fsmash and off stage work can get her the kills she needs. She has good defensive aggressive strategies and is fairly fast. Overall she’s a good competitor.

Link - Links battle is all about the center of the stage and moving outwards. He doesn’t have to be in the center himself, but he can control the center from anywhere. He has great projectiles and once you get past that, he has great range and power with his other attacks. The best option is to get him off the stage because he can be contained there. Getting inside on him doesn’t work very well either because of his good kicks and jabs. He’ll get you back in range of his sword then from there into his projectiles. Link is a tough competitor in many ways and if you don’t get the easy and quick kills on him by taking advantage of his great weakness in recovering, he’ll destroy any opponent no matter who it is.

Wario - Wario is fast for his size. He can juggle well, has an amazing recovery and can finish with his incredible fsmash and uair. He doesn’t need those to rack up the damage with his quick in and out aerials and his *** and grabs. His dsmash is a quick killer too but like many things, it’s risky. His bite and fart are great moves that can change the course of the battle, they aren’t just for show. He is a great character that can strike at any moment with his amazing aerial grace.

Ness - Ness has great ground and air game. He can juggle and chase many different ways and can finish well. His easily beaten recovery is his only real weakness. He can finish, has decent range and great projectiles with lots of tricks. His yo-yo is actually a smash now and his upB, bat, spike and back throw are lethal. His grab range isn’t less than a pixel anymore and his grab game is excellent.

ROB - ROB has the best recovery in the game by far. He can fly across New Pork City straight off the ground and attack at any moment with just his upB. His aerials are great stalls and he has finishers everywhere. His projectiles are effective and he can combo anyone. Great off stage game, great ground game, great air game. His attacks has range and he has defensive abilities like his dsmash if anyone gets inside. He isn’t very agile or mobile and has some lag on many of his much needed attacks so he does get punished but he is a killer if given the chance to set up the game he wants to play. He has good match ups and bad match ups. Tourney results maight faulter his placement because his good match ups are against characters that are good like Falco, and his bad match ups are against bad characters like Lucario. I believe this is where he belongs though.

Bowser - Bowser has the best power, range and speed combination with his attacks. He can take a ton of damage and his recovery is at least decent. His bad traits are that he’s a big target and he lacks mobility, which really isn’t that bad, especially with sideB jump cancels. His fire breath and the few quick attacks he does have are all deadly and plenty for him to be successful against almost any opponent.

Snake - Snake is a risky character to fight. He has many tricks like a spike, rising, guided and timed projectiles and planted traps. He is a very versatile character in many aspects and plays a much different game then the rest of the roster. He’s deceivingly fast with a wicked dash attack, has a great recovery with many nice little gimmicks to it and projectiles that kill. It’s possible to get around all of that, but his tilts are fast and kill too. He has many flaws such as lag and mobility though. Keep him moving and he’ll be in some trouble. Snake appears really good, and he is, but he has to play a well planned out game to win. If his enemies play a smart game, he might not pull out a win very often.

Pit - Pit has many multiple hitters with good range and priority. What is quite underappreciated is his diversity up close in battle. He can protect himself and he’s a threat from all angles so it’s tough to contain him. Then he has a projectile which can be the deciding factor in a match. He has reliable defensive and offensive options, little traits from reflectors to gliding. His amazing recovery can be gimped and his most effective play is fairly predictable so that will haunt him but he is a pretty safe choice. Pit is a steady character and can’t get in many bad situations, in match ups or in battle.

King Dedede - Dedede is big and slow but he doesn’t have to return much to even up a battle. He has good protection from every side so the only way to contain him is to get inside which makes only a few match ups bad for him. He has great range with literally all of his attacks so he can hit from anywhere. He has multiple jumps which gives him good off stage and aerial game and his projectile can limit the enemies options to get inside. It isn’t easy to get inside of his range but staying there is where it becomes a problem for him. If he can’t get away again, he’ll be in major trouble so it’s best to even run off stage and regroup or anything to get distance. He's possibly much better than this placement though.

Wolf - Wolf has a bizarre feel and approach to battle with odd rangy attacks and lots of options as far as chasing and combos. His recovery isn’t great but it’s fine for what he is capable of from the middle of the stage outward. He can escape any trouble with his moving attacks and what’s essentially a counter with his downB. He is tricky to play and if his enemies are off guard for a moment he can punish them quick and with plenty of force. His pathetic off stage play brings him down a good amount though.

Metaknight - He has two very feared moves and many multiple hit attacks on ground and in the air. He can chase, juggle, finish if given the chance and has great off stage game with an amazing recovery and wicked fast attacks. If he gets inside and on the offensive, his priority and attack speed are overwhelming and can easily turn into a quick chain with a finisher. Metaknight can have trouble because he is so reliant on opportunity and minimal but important spacing.

Pikmin & Olimar - His recovery is really bad and that is what makes him beatable. The depth of his character doesn’t go far right now but it will develop over a longer period. So far, he’s effective with his massive priority, range and ability to give damage and KO at a safe distance. This wont be the only thing he thrives on in the near future. He has many tricks, he just has to be experimented with. There’s a lot more to Olimar and his little Pikmin friends.

Lucas - His edge game is really where his strength is. Lucas can struggle mid stage but if he draws the battle to the edge, he can dominate from there in many ways. He does only have a few reliable finishers but he can chain attacks and chase well enough to make up for that along with his great off stage abilities.

Donkey Kong - Massive range, massive power and great speed. He can take a load of damage and dishes it out with ease. I’ve worked with DK a lot and there really aren’t many things he can’t do. He can’t be easily contained and he can contain well. Plenty of advantages with very few disadvantages in his favor in nearly every match up.

Marth - Marth has great range, power, speed and still has his aerial prowess. His game is all about spacing and keeping pressure on the enemy and he does this well. He can be overwhelming but if he loses his distance between far and near, he gets in trouble. He is an excellent character with great edge game and mid-stage dominance but it only lasts as long as his enemies are withing the distance of his sword and not his body.

Mario - I’ve worked with Mario more than anyone and I find him to be a very adaptable character. He can almost simply disable the opposition. He can combo and finish plenty and has great variety in his game all around. I like him and think he can come out winning in more match ups than not.

Ice Climbers - They rip defenses apart and have the great duo qualities that made them nearly unstoppable in melee. They’ve been buffed slightly to deal damage as fast as ever, finish many more ways and have a buffed recovery and air game both together and apart. You have to play on red alert all of the time against them.

Kirby - Sure MK might beat him in the match up but Kirby has a much greater chance against more characters than not. He can do everything well. Juggle, finish, chase, pretty much everything MK does but he has more options both offensively and defensively.

Falco - Falco is a very effective character. He has a great projectile as always and has great chasing abilities when he needs them. His sideB used just off the ground is possibly the fastest movement in the game and he has nice juggling prowess. Falco can deal damage and kill up close and is just as effective from any distance. He can contain enemies better than any.

Luigi - Luigi has many quick and powerful attacks. He is dangerous to approach and be approached by. His recovery is excellent. His priority and range is excellent. The only thing that holds him back is his slow yet mobile movement if he isn’t using is incredible tornado or mid jump. Maybe I’m giving him too much credit because I’ve worked with him a little bit more than most but he has some neat little tricks and easy kills that are going unused so far. What seems to be unique to him is that he wins when he doesn’t seem to do much, that counts for something too.

Toon Link - We all know how he has amazing projectiles, great aerial movement and recovery, can combo, can finish and has range and speed to go with it. Nothing special but I don’t think anything really needs to be said. He’s just a good balanced character.

Yoshi - This shouldn’t really be a surprise. Yoshi has always been able to finish, been able to combo, been great at dealing damage, been great in the air and had good ground game. He never was lacking in speed, power or range and all of the traits that he had from melee are still with him along with some areas getting buffed . The one thing that made him so bad was that he couldn’t even get back to the stage if he jumped twice. He couldn’t chase off stage or chase in the air and couldn’t recover without certain punishment. With no DJC, he is already a much better character. He had all of the right tools for off stage combat but could never apply them, now he can. The upB as a recovery, stall and great projectile is something that really improves is game too. He might be a little high, but not much.

Mr. Game & Watch - G&W needed one thing in melee and that was weight. He is now much heavier in Brawl so that isn’t a problem anymore. He has good quick and powerful aerial abilities all around and has all the traits needed to be effective in every area. He has good finishers, deals good damage, has good range and priority and great close in game. He really isn’t missing much. Can’t forget that his recovery and edge work can match the best in the game too.

Diddy Kong - Diddy dominates with speed, multiple hit attacks and great aerial abilities. Overall, he’s a pretty balanced character with a few little tricks to his attacks. He can pressure from every angle and can chase everywhere. His recovery is effective and tough to stop even though it can be stopped. He does lack solid easy kill moves but that doesn’t effect his play much with things like his spike, dash attack and his bananas which are very irritating and restricting when used the way Diddy can. I may be a little bold here but I believe he can at least match every other character.

Zelda - Attack negation doesn’t exist with Zelda. If something is weakened a bit, she has one of ten other magical moves to finish the job just as well. She has range that matches some of the rangiest and power behind it. With her incredible attack speed, she’s a true killer. If you’re near, she’ll give you a quick boot to the mid section with one of the fastest and most effective dsmashes. If you’re far, she’ll use what’s probably the best projectile in the game. She’ll kill you from the other side of the stage when you’re still trying to get ready to recover somewhere off screen. The wonderfully useful multi hit smashes like her upsmash and fsmash are perfect examples of why she’s dangerous. Her tilts are single hit but come out fast and kill just as well. Something that can’t be forgotten is her ability to reflect anything and of course, Sheik. If she’s in a bad match up, which I don’t know if that exists, she has plan (down)B which is a decent plan any time really. If it’s a spacing match, she has it covered, if it’s a camping match, she has it covered, if it’s a power match, she has it covered, if it’s a speed match, she has it covered. Other than a lack of mobility, which isn’t really needed with her incredible variety of attacks, she has everything.

Pikachu - Pikachu is finally getting some attention, took long enough! His tail and electricity can match any sword and some are also disjointed hitboxes. He’s heavy enough to withstand a lot and that’s if you can hit him though weight is probably his biggest weakness. He’s one of the faster characters in the game on land and in the air. With his amount of speed in every direction he’s a tricky pest. He can combo with variety and chase with the best. That’s enough to make him deadly. He has an amazing projectile. It has decent damage and knockback that allows you to follow up from quite a distance. It even falls at the perfect angle for edgeguarding and recovering from above. He has an amazing recovery with good air abilities in general along with his sideB and upB. The speed, distance and options that go along with it is actually unmatched. Pikachu has one of the best varieties of smash attacks. A great quick finisher, one kills and can’t be easily avoided or punished. Then there’s that wonderful dsmash. Multi hitting, fast and either kills, sets up for a kill or knocks them off the stage. He has one of the best moves in the game...downB. Not to mention he can combo into it with ease with nearly everything like a simple up throw. Even more threatening is his ability to take out a good chunk of certain characters damage meters with throws and good juggling. His canceled quick attack function opens up his chasing and tricking game even more. No competition for him when everything comes together.

Random - No I’m not kidding. Random is the best character, no argument can’t overthrow this fact.
1. Random can always counter pick your character by choosing a character, you can’t counter pick something you don’t know. It’s best to pick safe characters but even the safest characters can get bad match ups. Counter picking isn’t an advantage when playing against Random because it can go either way, but it’s still an advantage when Random has the choice to counter pick. This goes for stages often too.
2. A Random user will naturally become used to adapting to a character during the countdown of a match, the opposition wont be used to that. This gives Random an advantage for at least the first part of the match until the opponent finds their game against the character. I Random user wont have trouble with this because it’s an everyday thing.
3. Random has its own character box now... ISN"T THAT JUST TOO COOL?!?! OMFG!!!
I repeat just incase someone doesn’t understand, this is not a joke. If someone can actually play every character well enough to win at the highest level, with the Random function set up the way it is, they do in fact have a solid advantage.

Here’s the actual list. The order isn’t depicting much for a character within the surrounding characters but rather gives an idea on where certain characters will stand relative to others that are spaced far apart. Give or take a few characters switching tiers, I placed the gaps to generally separate where there are evident breaks all though they are so minor and insignificant.

Random
High(have good match ups but bad ones too)
Pikachu
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game & Watch
Yoshi
Toon Link
Luigi
Falco
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Middle(everyone is really here somehow)
Mario
Marth
Donkey Kong
Lucas
Pikmin & Olimar
Metaknight
Wolf
King Dedede
Pit
Snake
Bowser
ROB
Low(can beat anyone with the right match ups)
Ness
Wario
Link
Peach
Zero Suit Samus
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Fox
Captain Falcon
Lucario

Ganon
Sonic
Ike
Bottom(joke tier, Zelda destroys them)PS: this is the only joke part on the entire post, the rest is what I strongly believe
Tabuu
Master Hand
Bosses in the SSE

"End Quote"
This is what I have so far as my opinion on what it will come down to in a couple years. I posted it somewhere else but I might as well throw it on S:laugh:WF too
Thise is the longest post ever sir i skiped almost all of it lolz to much stuff but because i'm evil i will quote it.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Nice post.

I agree with most of your points, but disagree with others. Maybe this is based off your experiences, but my Sheik is wild and dominant.

Random for top tier. xD

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I think Fox will probably still be top tier. Everyone's forgotten him a little because we like using the new characters so much, but just wait, Fox is still gonna take people out.

WolvyDaPope

Smash Rookie
Sonic is not the best and may have disappointed some but is by no means terrible. Sonic just takes time to learn how to control his speed and keep the pressure. With RARs he has a good killer move at his hands. I don't think he'll be top tier ever, but at least middle. His speed can be a blessing.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
For **** sake, I had this bigass discussion of your theory, Dynamism, but my ****in' web browser **** the bed on me and I lost it. In short, I think you're overlooking part of the nature of the game, or a possible nature of it. In Melee, there was sort of a rock-paper-scissors with shielding, attacking, and grabbing. Also, there's the idea of "playing chicken" with people...if you're going to try to juggle someone, you don't want to commit to something and miss...you might want to jump, appearing to get ready to juggle, and making them do something stupid, like attack or jump, and then make your move....this sort of mentality will likely be applied to Brawl, especially with the newfound defensive nature of it. That being said, characters like Ike, who control a great deal of space in their immediate vicinity and killing power, will succeed. Characters like Meta Knight who have good pressuring skills and killing power will succeed.....simply because you shouldn't commit to something until you have an opportunity, and these types of characters can force opportunities or simply wait for them.

Snakeee

Smash Master
[
"She does lack in reliable finishers. The ones she does have take long to come out and lag so she has to be precise to get the kill."

I agree with some of this, but that above statement is completely wrong. She has so much KO power its ridiculous and they all have very little lag and the forward B is very spammable. She does fly off the stage easily, but has great recovery otherwise contrary to what people are saying about her getting gimped. I don't understand how you put her so low with this mini review, but you said good things about every character so I really don't get your list in general, though alot of it is decent.

Sonic is not the best and may have disappointed some but is by no means terrible. Sonic just takes time to learn how to control his speed and keep the pressure. With RARs he has a good killer move at his hands. I don't think he'll be top tier ever, but at least middle. His speed can be a blessing.
He is right. Sonic is not the best or the worst. If you really want to play well with him, you must learn to control his speed. He could kick *** if people can use the speed really well. Also Sonic's springboard helps out a lot. And his side taunt is really fun to use. "Your're too slow!"

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I agree completely.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I still feel a lot of people are overlooking the IC's. Most people simply slap them in mid-tier because they don't know much about them. They still have everything that made them good in Melee, and have drastically improved in the areas that held them back. They're one of the few characters who have received a substantial buff, and they were already good in the first place. So far they don't have a single bad match-up, the worst disadvantage they get is a 4/6 in most cases. I'm just trying to spread the IC love.

WolvyDaPope

Smash Rookie
I don't doubt IC could be high. Their chain grab is deadly, and as a whole very dangerous. A Brawl Chudat type player could do wonders.

I'm curious about Mr. Game and Watch, for he is much better this time around may still be cursed via weight. I like using him and think he's good, but I'm but one person.

And as a final thought, I think Pokemon Trainer should be counted as one character. Unlike Samus/ZSS or Sheik, Zelda, PT has to change in order to prevent fatigue and obtains its balance from the trio, utilizing the strengths of all three to keep the opponent in check. I say the amazing versatility of PT, despite the punishablility of changing, will make him in the top third of the tier list (maybe be pushing it, but at least the top half).

smashbot226

Smash Master
Aah, here's a Movement Speed tier list!

Top:

Sonic
Pikachu
Falcon
Diddy
Fox
Falco

Upper:

Shiek
Squirtle
ZSS
MK

Medium (Quite a doozy):

Marth
Toon Link
Lucas
Yoshi
Mario
MGNW
Zelda
Kirby
Ivysaur
Olimar
Luigi
Samus
Link
DK
Wario
Wolf

Lower:
Peach
IC
Ness
Lucario
R.O.B.
Pit
Jigglypuff
Ike
Snake
Charizard

Bottom:

Ganondorf
Dedede
Bowser

As well as weight classifications:

Light:

Falco
Fox
Jiggs
Kirby
MK
MGNW
Olimar
Peach
Pikachu
Ivysaur
ZSS
Zelda
Shiek

Light Medium:

Diddy
IC
Marth
T. Link

Medium:

Link
Lucas
Mario
Ness
Pit
Squirtle
Sonic
Wolf

Heavy Medium:

Falcon
Luigi

Heavy:

Bowser
DK
Ganondorf
Ike
D3
Lucario
R.O.B.
Charizard
Samus
Snake
Wario
Yoshi
(Note that the weight list isn't ordered, just listed from memory. The Speed List isn't however.)

Goldstorm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You guys don't need a list to sort out who's better than who. The Brawl character is only as good as the player. Don't do this guys, and I know it's 174 pages of posts in, and I know this topic has been "Stickied" but I seriously think you guys shouldn't separate them into tiers. Besides from what I have seen, everyone in the game seems pretty balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom