• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
k so my mexican chat buddy is going to AZ for school for a year and he said since he wouldnt have to many friends up in AZ that he is willing to play smash on his free. So I gues his question would be where is the general tournament place in AZ.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Just going to expand a little on what Sean says:

Falco/Peach swings back and forth between which character has an advantage against the other, and its 100% based on how much experience the PLAYERS have versus the other character.

A scrubby Falco will get **** on by Dsmash.

A scubby Peach will have absolutely no idea how to get around Falco's "stuff"

As each player becomes more aware of what the other character can do, and how to deal with each others tools, it becomes more in-depth.

I feel that Peach has an advantage over Falco on Brinstar, Final Destination, and Battlefield. Each of the stages compliment Peach's strengths, whilst providing various stage-related hazards for Falco to deal with. Brinstar, Peach can use the stage to her advantage more easily, whilst its extremely easy, even for good Falcos to have to essentially fight a 2v1 vs both Peach, and the Lava/Middle.

On Battlefield, the stage doesn't give any distinct advantages or disadvantages to either character. everything that helps one character, helps the other equally. The deciding factor is that Peach has an easier time edgeguarding Falco due to his limited options. Peach SHOULDN'T get gimped by Battlefield, but it DOES occasionally happen. I don't think it happens at high-level play.

On FD Falco loses the protection of platforms and becomes Peach's *****. It's extremely hard to limit Peach with lasers due to her float sweetspot, and Peach is free to do anything she wishes with Falco. With good reaction/prediction, Peach can literally grab a Falco 0 to death on this stage. To elaborate; Uthrow Dsmash does about 30%. This leads into a tech chase opportunity, which then leads into a deathgrab, assuming Peach landed the grab. If there is a reset to neutral, Peach just got a free 30%, and any grab following this should be the death of Falco. Even if the grab itself doesn't KILL Falco, he's now off the stage and recovering with high %.

In Falcos favor we have Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, and Fountain of Dreams.

I won't go in-depth into RC and KJ64, I personally believe those to be, by-far, the most falco-friendly stages currently legal, and just absolutely unfair for Peach. ESPECIALLY RC. For lack of better words, that stage is just GAY.

Examining the Neutrals, we have whats considered to be the "best" stage for jiggs and peach; Dreamland.

This is a common misconception. While they might benefit from living an extra 20~30% longer, they have to deal with platforms that are just totally in Falco's favor. The height and width of the platform makes platform tech chasing harder for Peach, whilst also limiting most of her options against a defensive Falco. Offensive-wise, the platforms are just the perfect height to also compliment Falco's offensive options.

Yoshis and FoD are for more offensive-minded Falcos. Peach's CG is mostly nullified, whilst Falcos offensive options are at their utmost max on neutrals. Short blastlines off the side on both sides, and the smallest ceiling on YS. Falco's recovery is also enhanced due to the bottom of the stage just being a gigantic wall, making wall techning easy, and adding more walljump mixups.

Pokemon Stadium is a stage I believe to be 50/50. Peach keeps her CG, and has easy platform tech chase setups, whilst the stage transformations help defensive-minded players. Falco's offensive options are about the same as FD, but has the benefit of platforms for easier laser height mixups, and means of continuing combos.

Just examining the stages alone, I'd say Falco has the advantage. He has more stages that work to his favor. The difference is that Peach has two stages that are just absolutely horrible for Falco. Falco really only has one. Arguably 3 if Falco wants to play the clock, but I don't think anybody, except maybe Th0rn is going to attempt that.

As for gameplay itself; A basic summary of the match is both characters throwing out stuff just outside of the other players attack range, trying to punish bad spacing. Easily one of the most spacing-orientated matchups in Melee.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
k so my mexican chat buddy is going to AZ for school for a year and he said since he wouldnt have to many friends up in AZ that he is willing to play smash on his free. So I gues his question would be where is the general tournament place in AZ.
Tucson for Melee, Phoenix for Brawl.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Phoenix:

Sean

Nah we'll lose.

*Edit*

For seriousness though Phoenix has always been the superior crew.

Atm they have:

Sean, Tony, Tai

We have:

Plenip, Kyle, Me, Rob/Spencer/Shiv

If we count Sean as Tucson at heart, then we'll win easily. Chris will easymode everyone except Tony, and easymode even Tony if he goes Marth.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
geographically speaking...
phoenix (and phoenix-ish areas) have sean, jeff, tony, and myself.
tucson has chris, jackie, and kyle.

cardiologically speaking...
phoenix has tony, rob, light, and myself.
tucson has sean, chris, jackie, and kyle.
and SV has jeff, vman's falco, and joey.

forward

Smash Champion
AZ History.

Tucson: Forward, Undisputed, Enix, T_h0t, B-will, Phillipe, Ruben, GG7, Jet4, SK<3, African.

Phoenix: Taj, B-stick, Light, Wobbles, Tai, Luigi Master.

I don't know I'm probably not giving credit to some phoenix players that I can't remember. Hanki and Butters? AZ has made some amazing players, you guys should be proud to play in this state.

Pandaxen

Smash Cadet
If I'm gonna make "Desert Storm" happen, I'm gonna need the names of every AZ smasher that wants to be in it.
And yes Vman, your Yoshi can be in it, and yes Taj, your Marth can be in it.

Also, please include the characters that you'll want to make an appearance for you. 2-3 is fine, anything beyond that I'll have to consider.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
geographically speaking...
phoenix (and phoenix-ish areas) have sean, jeff, tony, and myself.
tucson has chris, jackie, and kyle.

cardiologically speaking...
phoenix has tony, rob, light, and myself.
tucson has sean, chris, jackie, and kyle.
and SV has jeff, vman's falco, and joey.
Why am I excluded from the Tucson list? :|

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
If I'm gonna make "Desert Storm" happen, I'm gonna need the names of every AZ smasher that wants to be in it.
And yes Vman, your Yoshi can be in it, and yes Taj, your Marth can be in it.

Also, please include the characters that you'll want to make an appearance for you. 2-3 is fine, anything beyond that I'll have to consider.
If this is a combo video, my Fox/Falco.

I'm a Falco main but my Fox is HELLA flashy, lol.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
When asked what his favorite match up was by my bro and I a while ago:

Axe - "My favorite matchup is a spacie off the stage."

Haha good times.

Hope to see AZ soon and get in some real practice ^_^
he stole that from me and taj!

fox and falco should spawn offstage, imo

Top Bottom