• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Kman25

Smash Ace
Hmmm I got a few questions Cort, If you dont mind

1) How do you abuse Brinstar when counterpick it against the Spacies and Falcon?

2) I find spacing against Falco pretty difficult, I get the float height right most of the time but I usually try and go for a Fair or Dair depending on my position but I usually trade hits or just get hit. Are there more options to approach Falco? I do know about powershielding lasers, Empty float to dash attack etc.

3) Also is it better to jump nair out of sheild or float cancel out of shield? I can only really fc bair out of shield quickly for some reason but I just wondered is it safe to jump nair out of shield.

4) And how are you meant to DI Falcon's throw to not get knee'd? I usually do up but they catch on, So do you mix it up?

5) What are your chances on making it to Epita? I would really like to play you

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I find that counterpicking a stage like MC just cause it's a great peach stage can only get you so far... you have to actually know how to play people on it and be super comfortable on it rather than just assuming cuz it's MC and you're Peach it's autowin... I've had this problem before >_>

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well for the third one you can always jump out float n-air.....

I think it depends *shrugs* if you wanted to you could n-air out of your shield then retreat back if your opponent was at low percent I guess.

If you FC n-air out of your shield you can pull out a turnip faster for approaches/camping reasons or you can FC n-air then run after your opponent who may have to tech your n-air for a tech chase.

Oh well Cort will correct me if I'm horribly wrong *shrugs* :lick:

Cort

Apple Head
Hmmm I got a few questions Cort, If you dont mind

1) How do you abuse Brinstar when counterpick it against the Spacies and Falcon?

2) I find spacing against Falco pretty difficult, I get the float height right most of the time but I usually try and go for a Fair or Dair depending on my position but I usually trade hits or just get hit. Are there more options to approach Falco? I do know about powershielding lasers, Empty float to dash attack etc.

3) Also is it better to jump nair out of sheild or float cancel out of shield? I can only really fc bair out of shield quickly for some reason but I just wondered is it safe to jump nair out of shield.

4) And how are you meant to DI Falcon's throw to not get knee'd? I usually do up but they catch on, So do you mix it up?

5) What are your chances on making it to Epita? I would really like to play you
1. I don't really like Brinstar all that much. It's good only in that you have to pray to get lava combos and get the fastfallers in the lava, while using Peach's maneuverability to stay away from it. Also dsmashing the weird part connecting the stage together makes the move last for quite a longer time. That's all I really know about Brinstar.

2. You can't just approach Falco any which way. You generally have to force him to shield your approach and fc into dsmash or jab/dsmash. You have to keep pressure on him/be near him so he can't just run wildly about the stage, but remember you don't HAVE to approach. I love letting a Falco try and pillar my shield, and as soon as they shine they eat a nair/up b out of shield.

3. nair out shield... full jump nair out of shield probably makes the nair come out faster since you don't have to wait those few frames for her float to activate. Either is fine and comes out ridiculously fast, it doesn't particularly matter unless you're at low %s and you want to follow up on your nair, in which case you'd want to fc it out of shield and then follow up ASAP.

4. Falcon's dthrow combos into knee at mid-high %s no matter which way you DI. Just mix up your DI occasionally is my only advice, but I generally DI away because it's slightly harder to combo into knee.

5. I really want to go to Epita. I have the money to go, I have my passport, I'm just waiting on PC to figure it all out, hehe.

Magus420

Smash Master
If you DI falcon's d-throw halfway between diagonally away and away you get sent enough at a horizontal angle that you can n-air or double jump immediately into an airdodge away (it must be away/mostly away since it relies on the airdodge's movement which is instant to move you away from the knee until you get the invincibility) just before the knee can connect even when they time it perfectly. If you get the n-air out in time you'll generally both get hit unless they are a bit late/too close, or if when dodging you don't time it right and get hit you don't switch the direction you're holding quickly enough so you're still holding away to do the airdodge when you get sent you'll DI horribly (and not have your jump either).

If you're gonna die regardless of DI on the knee and they don't really mess it up it's generally worth a shot if you can DI the throw like that in time. If they throw right as they grab you may not be able to get the DI right since it's an odd angle to do. It works well for other characters too. With Marth it makes d-throw to knee impossible since he will always hit the ground before Falcon can get the knee ontop of him. It only truely combos Kirby and Jiggs with this DI, though some may not be able to do anything about it in time and be hit anyway.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
^interesting magus, I always thought the best you can do is trade nair for knee off a dthrow^

Icy's dthrow just needs to be DI'ed up (and towards too iirc) then hold up and peach will float out of it. I'm pretty sure the same can be done for the reverse dair CG.

Magus420

Smash Master
Wait, so is this angle just slightly below away, but not in the "niche" of down and away?
^^ This

The throw sends up and away but a little more up. I kind of figured DIing it diagonally up and away wouldn't make any sense if you wanted to go more horizontally and low to the ground since you want it to be perpendicular. It's a weird angle kind of like Sheik's f-air where the strongest angle to DI is not in one of the 8 normal directions.

Snakeee

Smash Master
^^ This

The throw sends up and away but a little more up. I kind of figured DIing it diagonally up and away wouldn't make any sense if you wanted to go more horizontally and low to the ground since you want it to be perpendicular. It's a weird angle kind of like Sheik's f-air where the strongest angle to DI is not in one of the 8 normal directions.
...what's the best angle for Sheik's F-air? I was just DIing up on that.

Cort

Apple Head
Up would be the best angle without getting too crazy. You're anticipating getting hit by the fair, not trying to dodge it altogether.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
i have a question cort:

why do these newbie whippersnappers think the entirety of the peach community is me, you, and darkpeach?

my hypothesis is that its because you and darkpeach post way too much, like I did for a bit (which is why people still even remember me, that will pass soon if I keep posting once every week like I have been.

but honestly people, know your roots:

none of us would exist without Mike G, respect your elders

krazyjones is probably still better than most of us

respect your sastophers.

Cort

Apple Head
I don't post much outside of this topic on the Peach forums.

And I donno why Dark.Pch is included in your list.

For MikeG's time, he was the biggest Peach inspiration, ever. He was the Fox Peach.

KrazyJones was basically one of the smartest players for his time.

Sastopher... eh, can't say I know anything about him since he lives all the way in Washington. But I donno what he's really known for apart from just.. playing Peach.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
i know my roooooots!!!!! but honestly i dont know when cort got good? cause i didn't hear about him when i was hearing of my xifs vidjos mike g's and wifes. in all honesty it does have to do with posting... as well as videos being put up.

this is gonna sound weird but iono lately my d-air n-air misses? any explanation.... i catch em in the d-air but its not n-airing after iono.

and what do i do so i dont get drill shine grab up-throw u-air 40 percent combo by fox from every drill i may get caught in??

marth di? i was told it's toward at low percentages and away at high? what about if they grab you from 0 percent?

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
I don't post much outside of this topic on the Peach forums.

And I donno why Dark.Pch is included in your list.

For MikeG's time, he was the biggest Peach inspiration, ever. He was the Fox Peach.

KrazyJones was basically one of the smartest players for his time.

Sastopher... eh, can't say I know anything about him since he lives all the way in Washington. But I donno what he's really known for apart from just.. playing Peach.
i added dark peach simply because he has an exceptional amount of unwarranted praise outside of the normal crew/regional people praising him. well, him and professor pro. not to say either or are bad, just alot of talk without alot of need

and shame on you for that sastopher comment. He was one of the few people period and the only peach player to my knowledge to beat ken back at his peak in the 2004-2005 range, plus got 4th at TG6 and 2nd at FC3, plus a slew of other really good local placings and maybe even more big tournament placings that I may have forgotten.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
i know my roooooots!!!!! but honestly i dont know when cort got good? cause i didn't hear about him when i was hearing of my xifs vidjos mike g's and wifes. in all honesty it does have to do with posting... as well as videos being put up.

this is gonna sound weird but iono lately my d-air n-air misses? any explanation.... i catch em in the d-air but its not n-airing after iono.

and what do i do so i dont get drill shine grab up-throw u-air 40 percent combo by fox from every drill i may get caught in??

marth di? i was told it's toward at low percentages and away at high? what about if they grab you from 0 percent?

Your angle may be off. If I do it wrong with Luigi, I Dair then he can just Nair me with out getting hit with the N-air. I'm very careful when I do it to luigi. It could also be the Fact that you are moving away when you do it. So Learn how to Control yourself while you do it.

Smasd DI the first hit of te Uair do the second cant hit you. Learn that. Around 70 I believe or if not 80% once you get up thrown, you can jump before he tries to hit you with the Up air. I learn this from D1. Once I hit that percent he could not Uthrow to Uair me ever again till I was K.O

If you get Chained grab DI away, and when you know he will Fsmash you (which I believe there is no escape) DI to him. That sword will tip you and you will be sent packing. So ID Up and to him. Might be another way but this is how I deal with it.

At High % only time I DI to Him is if he Nairs or Fsmashes me. Pretty much any finish Marth has to use on you at high % DI Up and to him.

Low Percent DI away when he starts his Fair links on you. Same with Fthrows. But here is the tricky thing about it. some cases a Fsmash wont reach. So the Marth might Just Dash attak you. And when you get dashed attack you have to DI to Marth. That attack sends you in the other direction of Marth. So if you DI away in that attack, you will sat in that range. Same with his U-tilt.

Cort can correct me on this on all of this. i'm just useing this a Peach review to make sure I know what to do in these type of situations. Which is why I answer questions like this. need to make sure I stay on point and know my stuff.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
lol @ underestimating skler

I made the same mistake way back at a Maine tournament, and he knocked me into losers as a result

did he skler at all during the match? that's always entertaining.
no he didnt :(
i have a question cort:

why do these newbie whippersnappers think the entirety of the peach community is me, you, and darkpeach?

my hypothesis is that its because you and darkpeach post way too much, like I did for a bit (which is why people still even remember me, that will pass soon if I keep posting once every week like I have been.

[/b][/i]
i think i kno why. its cuz on these boards and with most people, if u do one BIG thing or are constantly around/posting (like u said) then they remember you, and they think they remember u being good

XiF: u posted that "do u really like nairs" vid, showing people something theyve seen for the first time and then they look into u more and see ur good

Cort: recent tournament placings + playing with PC chris 4/7 days = ppl seeing him as good

Dark.Pch: posting in really long paragraphs filled with tons of help make people think hes good. also his type face is kind of commanding

not that you guys arent good, of course. i jus think its a psychological thing that can be explained w/o big words

also, i jus got an A in my psych class so i feel good :)

peachori

Smash Journeyman
its basically because the only ones who are active on the boards AND have vids readily available are cort, xif, and dark.pch

mikeg, kj, sas and vidjo are nowhere to be found around the boards so new peaches that come here dont realize that the pwn. especially krazyjones and sastopher, no one talks about them anymore but **** were they good.

also i think its because the peach video archive is organized by character matchup and has all sorts of peaches no one has ever heard of, its not like the falcon video thread where you go and see 7 million vids of isai so you'd think "oh, this isai guy must be good."

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
Hey Cort is Mew2king Batman? Thanks for debunking stuff like this for me like The Masked Zorro being KDJ and Elen.

P!z@

Smash Rookie
erm.... ^^'

can some body post the address from the peach forum ?
thx

and have nice day !
greez P!z@

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Ok, coming here because I need some advice on stage counterpicks, because I need to use my 2ndary peach vs. my friend in a $20 money match; I can't chance misspaced or mistimed aerials as Jiggly because then I eat a Zelda foot.

Last time we played, it was a set of 7 - I lost the first two jiggly to Zelda, but then switched to Peach and proceeded to win, although I don't know quite how I did because his Shiek seemed to dominate the match; random multi-hitting dsmashes were my savior.

My friend plays three key characters that worry me - Luigi is supposedly his "anti-Peach", who used to beat me as peach, but the last time I played his Luigi I won. His samus is also a tough match-up, and his Shiek, though scrubby, is also a problem - just because I have a peach as scrubby as his XD

Anyways, like I said, I don't know where to counterpick. I want to think Mute City'll do me good, but I don't know how well that favors Luigi or Samus; likewise, I feel like I want to ban Yoshi's Story because of his shiek (I played his Samus there in another money match; I won easily despite lack of sleep.) Any advice on what sages to counterpick/ban?

BTW here are two videos of me playing as peach:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGkECjWWtac (Peach v. Samus)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eX0D6sTX6Ao&watch_response (Peach v. C.Falcon)
((Some notes - begining of Samus match, I Thought I was samsu, so that's why I'm doing peach bomber :p. the second match all you need to know is through this whole thing I had 30 min of sleep in the past 48 hours.))

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, advice is welcomed until about 8 am tomorrow morning. After that I'll be on my way to the tournament, and well, any advice given here after that would be kinda pointless :/

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
wat i do against pro sheiks...is stay away from getting above them in air cuz u may get juggled. To face luigi cuz hes pretty fast maybe u can catch him in a few down smashes since he can go pretty far wit the Wd or stay out of the air from the high priority atks.

mute city to me seems good against luigi and samus cuz samus cant grapple and luigis gotta get lucky on making it back (distance from platform). If ur samus frend is good dont do places wit platforms i guess cuz if he can go thru platforms wit missiles and the edgeguardin on u will be godly. try maybe...FD, but battlefield and poke stadium may work for u cuz of the edges.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
thanks for the tips, couldn't bother myself to look through the luigi/samus boards to find what their strong stages are. I know now how to approach all three, just needed to know if it was OK to counterpick Mute vs. any of them like I was thinking ;)

Cort

Apple Head
He does surprisingly well against her.

I'll get back to your question sometime when I haven't stayed up all night.

P!z@

Smash Rookie
All right...

it was best of 3 i lost it.....
First match was A random one with me as peach an he as marth ( double blind pick )
my counter pick was brinstar against his marth but than he swiched to his samus...
Should I change to CF or stay with peach ?

i stayed peach and his rocketz were a big problem...
What was the mistake ?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I have a question:

It must have been hard as hell to get to the level you are now. Are you able to play as usual (really good) or tournament Play ( I assume you switch it up and play smarter than usual. Thats what I do I dont play the same in tournaments. I play different.) If something is bothering you or something happen (could be anything) And its bothering you or its something your mad about, etc?

I'm Finding it really hard to play My best cause of depression. And me being Bi-polar. so something may just come out of nowehere and it affects how I play. (wether the match is a friendly, MM or tournament.

I find it really fustrating. Really when it counts the most like tournaments. So You ever had days where something happen and whatnot and it really got to you and kinda screwed up how you play? And if sop How do you deal with it to get yourself back on track. What kind of mindset do you use?

I was gonna make a thread like this in the pool room but I thought I come here cause Its not easy being top players and I know its not alays a godly day for them. Oh and its not only with This game, other things I do as well, but I guess I'll save that for the pool room if I decide to make it.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
All right...

it was best of 3 i lost it.....
First match was A random one with me as peach an he as marth ( double blind pick )
my counter pick was brinstar against his marth but than he swiched to his samus...
Should I change to CF or stay with peach ?

i stayed peach and his rocketz were a big problem...
What was the mistake ?
CF counters Samus
and in Peach v Samus, approach with Bairs. they cancel out the missles
I have a question:

It must have been hard as hell to get to the level you are now. Are you able to play as usual (really good) or tournament Play ( I assume you switch it up and play smarter than usual. Thats what I do I dont play the same in tournaments. I play different.) If something is bothering you or something happen (could be anything) And its bothering you or its something your mad about, etc?

I'm Finding it really hard to play My best cause of depression. And me being Bi-polar. so something may just come out of nowehere and it affects how I play. (wether the match is a friendly, MM or tournament.

I find it really fustrating. Really when it counts the most like tournaments. So You ever had days where something happen and whatnot and it really got to you and kinda screwed up how you play? And if sop How do you deal with it to get yourself back on track. What kind of mindset do you use?

I was gonna make a thread like this in the pool room but I thought I come here cause Its not easy being top players and I know its not alays a godly day for them. Oh and its not only with This game, other things I do as well, but I guess I'll save that for the pool room if I decide to make it.
jus play the same way all the time. i was told "the way you practice is the way you play". so dont sandbag and play EVERY match like u want to win something and you should b fine

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
jus play the same way all the time. i was told "the way you practice is the way you play". so dont sandbag and play EVERY match like u want to win something and you should b fine
I do. That may be the problem. I started to just try thinks out.

Like against Fox I am a coward to try and Dtilt him. Today I was useing it. I won half and lost the other. and I was doing it yesterday too useing the move. I am also afraid to use it against Peach. But I try to space myself. Sometimes I screwed up and ate a 5-hit Dsmash.

Sometimes I cant so I do things like I just explained. it gets fustrating. But it seem me using the Dtilt more lead to some nice matches on my part.

I'm gonna be using it alot in matches now. Thought I may lose more than usual. Same with Fast FC to other stuff which I cant seem to do in a fight well, which is why you dont see me in videos rally doing it. cat space myself or w/e my problem is.

But I'm just trying to figured out a way to play my best all the time unless I'm tired. Other than that I see no need for me not to do my best.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
jus have fun wen u play and wen u play to make sure u learn somethin from it wen u win/lose that way u get better

or jus play wit a game face on so u can make ur frends or challengers go crazy at ur ill skills

thats wat i try to do XD

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
jus have fun wen u play and wen u play to make sure u learn somethin from it wen u win/lose that way u get better

or jus play wit a game face on so u can make ur frends or challengers go crazy at ur ill skills

thats wat i try to do XD

Thats pretty much my hhole goal from the start. Its hard to just stay focus with all that I have on me. I'm surprise I play the way I do now to be honest.

Something i'll have to figure out on my own I suppose. Well alright.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
I do. That may be the problem. I started to just try thinks out.

Like against Fox I am a coward to try and Dtilt him. Today I was useing it. I won half and lost the other. and I was doing it yesterday too useing the move. I am also afraid to use it against Peach. But I try to space myself. Sometimes I screwed up and ate a 5-hit Dsmash.

Sometimes I cant so I do things like I just explained. it gets fustrating. But it seem me using the Dtilt more lead to some nice matches on my part.

I'm gonna be using it alot in matches now. Thought I may lose more than usual. Same with Fast FC to other stuff which I cant seem to do in a fight well, which is why you dont see me in videos rally doing it. cat space myself or w/e my problem is.

But I'm just trying to figured out a way to play my best all the time unless I'm tired. Other than that I see no need for me not to do my best.
ewww @ dtlting vs peach. lol.
well it takes a while to figure out what u do best. but once u figure it out, u'll be on ur way to bein better
CF ist captain falcon ?
right ?
yes
Thats pretty much my hhole goal from the start. Its hard to just stay focus with all that I have on me. I'm surprise I play the way I do now to be honest.

Something i'll have to figure out on my own I suppose. Well alright.
well me bein a competative player in w/e i do, i get frustrated when i lose and do stupid stuff and get my azz handed to me, but thats fun for me since i love the competitive atmosphere. so yes, I play to win, but i have fun in the process.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
if ur dealin wit alot, try to use the fact u get to play wit frends and have fun. that way if u lose its all fun or if u dont play at least ur not alone.

wat i do tho is play at skool (dont ask) and then at home i dont play - kinda weird but yea

Top Bottom