• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Cort, as C.Falcon how does one properly do a n.air so that it's low to the ground as pros seem to do it and so that it sweetspots/both hits connect and how does one combo another into it?

Also, how does one properly do a d.air so that it too is as low to the ground as pros such as yourself do and so that it has the massive hitbox that hits people out of techs even though you're not exactly right on top of them?

For the above two questions, I guess what I'm asking for more specifically is things like spacing, timing, and controller execution.

Would it be possible for you to roughly in Microsoft Paint sketch your moonwalk control stick path sequence, and in another drawing your second/multiple moonwalk control stick path sequence as to achieve utmost distance and efficiency or somehow verbally describe it in as much detail? I figure the former would save you a thousand words =P

G-Reg's thread has no organization and its nonsense/usefulness ratio is like 10 pages:1 post and response time is also seemingly abysmal. Thanks Cort keep up the awesome work! =)
assuming you know how to shorthop... don't fastfall the Nair too quickly, or only the first hit will come out. both hits connecting is really situational (depends on character, %) but if you're flying past them often try holding away while your nair is coming out.
Dair: um just shffl it?

to combo out of these you just need to practice getting your l-cancels perfect and doing things as soon as you l-cancel. honestly it's just practice practice practice. go into home run contest and practice doing as many Nairs as you can against the sandbag to get faster.... or something >_> A big advantage falcon has is his speed and to take advantage you need to learn how to follow up l-canceled aerials *immediately*.

There is a good moonwalk thread with diagrams somewhere, I think on the falcon boards. If you're having trouble just try to do it faster.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
are you planning to start playing ssf2t (360/ps3), ssf2tr (360/ps3) or street fighter 4 (???)?

if not, why not?

Cort

Apple Head
Yeah, what Coggy said. Another thing I often times don't see players doing is practicing good execution of moves. What I mean is, as soon as you jump, you should be nairing/dairing on the first couple frames of being airborne. At least in most situations, anyway. There are many times where delaying a dair is much more helpful.

are you planning to start playing ssf2t (360/ps3), ssf2tr (360/ps3) or street fighter 4 (???)?

if not, why not?
I donno. I've never really been interested in those games.

Plus they have health bars, ewwww. =P

Samochan

Smash Master
When smash DI'ing fox's dair, what about...

First I smash the control stick, then immediately smash the c-stick in same direction? I kinda find it hard to smash the stick in same direction repeatedly so fast without accidentally smashing to the other side. .__.

And if I listen to the sound, can I use it to time my smash DI on fox's uair? If I can, when would be good time to do it, right after the sound starts or right before it? Or do you use some visual point when you smash DI?

Cort

Apple Head
I don't know @ the SDI with c-stick/control stick.

For Fox's uair, I just listen to the sound of his jumps, look for the throw animation's lasers... mostly listen though. That's why I like my tournament TV's to have high volume before the match starts.

Snakeee

Smash Master
So, if you just starting mashing the control stick in the direction you want after you get grabbed or whatever, it wouldn't work right? I'm just making sure, but how precise do you really have to time it?

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm just making sure, but how precise do you really have to time it?
The 1st hit of Fox's u-air has at most 4 frames of hitlag, so it's about 3-4 depending on how much you've been hit by it in the last 9 hits of their stock. That's 1/20th or 1/15th of a second.

If you do a FAST 1/4 circle to the side when you go to time it (I hit and roll it diagonally down to diagonally up on that side), it makes the timing easier since you get a few inputs over that window you're moving it that will each count as SDI if it overlaps with the hitlag.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Thanks alot Magus, so doing a quarter circle on the control stick (reminds me of doing hadokens...) can count as multiple SDIs? Interesting

EDIT: how does SDIing the shine help you? It is only one frame so shouldn't ASDIing with the C-stick on that move do the same thing?

Magus420

Smash Master
To get multiple SDIs on the same hit they need to be 90 degrees or more apart so it's not likely you'll get 2 on such a small window unless it matches up perfectly and you do it extremely fast. The main advantage of doing that is you get a longer window of input to try and overlap with the hitlag.

Shine comes out in one frame. That doesn't mean the hitlag is 1 frame. I thinks it's 4 as well. For the best results on shines you'd hold the c-stick in the direction you want (generally away) to guarantee an ASDI in that direction, while also trying to time a SDI in that same direction with the analog (1/4 circle thing works well here too).

Snakeee

Smash Master
That sounds pretty impossible to me....but I guess not for ppl like M2k lol. Thanks though. I think I'll just ASDI the shine then.

EDIT: Cort, didn't you say you SDI the shine too? That's insane...

Snakeee

Smash Master
Nearly everything in this game boils down to a matter of timing.
Yeah, but something like SDIing more than once in the same frame is more than just timing....and I thought you had to have fast fingers in guitar hero....some things in smash you have to be a robot.

Cort

Apple Head
You can't SDI more than once in 1 frame <_<

It's just.. a matter of timing. Humanly, SDIing more than once is just to hard over the course of however many stun frames, except like Samus' fully charge should which has the most in the game (18 I think >_>)

Snakeee

Smash Master
Sorry for all the questions right now, but I really want to be clear on this and I have a tourney tomorrow.
Didn't Magus say that to SDI on the same "hit" they have to be 90 degrees apart in direction? I thought he meant on the same frame, but he meant on the same move apparently? Thanks alot.

Cort

Apple Head
Okay, say you successfully smash DI'd on a stun frame. In order to smash DI again on the next available stun frame, your input has to be atleast 90 degrees apart from the previous smash DI.

Get it? =D

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm MMing this Peach Player with Marth tomorrow at Mass Madness (althought I might not have the 5$ lol), any tips?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
How much ownage can you land in a falcon Punch?

Is there anything that out paritorize Peach's Nair?

If there was one move that was taken off from Peach that would make her bad (or worse), what would it be?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
what do joo do against samus? and recovery and stuff. i dont even know how to attack it. dash attack, cc punish. spaced "good" missle spam. and i cant kill it... lives 50x longer than peach -_-
Samus can be a problem for Peach. But you can be a bigger problem to her. here is a few things I want you to work on if you want to get better at this match.

When you hit her off the stage, if she is far away and below the stage coming back, throw turnips. if they connect a good 2 to 3 times you can send her packing. If she is above you, create a wall of turnips and throw them at her.them when she comes down slowly, hit her with a N-air or some else to keep her off, If he is hanging on the edge, Float over it and do a FC to D-air, then N-ar her for the kil (time it)

when you fight her on the ground, at times you have to be evasive with her. watch for missiles, its always good to have a turnip in your hand and follow up with a combo.. Use the FC techs, to take her out and make the match hard for her. Samus cant really do much about that. Also be patient when fighting her. Watch how the samus moves. watch how they come at you and all.

If getting comboed, DI away. Don't try to get a hit in before her. get some space then go into the fight. Back off when getting comboed
If samus throws you down, DI away from her cause she will hit you with a N-air
Move around alot, wave dash, Dashdance, and Use FC techs, try not to stay still so much. Confuse them in your movement
Watch for her missiles, if you have to retreat go ahead and get some space from her, then you think you got it, go back into the fight. nothing wrong with running away and getting space
Mix up your grabs and dash attacks.
Don't crouch cancel aginst samus too much, you will get owned for it hardcore.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Okay, say you successfully smash DI'd on a stun frame. In order to smash DI again on the next available stun frame, your input has to be atleast 90 degrees apart from the previous smash DI.

Get it? =D
so then smash DI isnt from neutral position into a direction then, if u can do a half circle
he means if you SDI to the left on the first stun frame, and roll the stick down to straight down, it will be at least 90 degrees and therefore show up on the next frame. right? lol confusing

Quaz

Smash Master
hey Cort, I have a question about peach vs sheik matchup.. not just the whole match up.. but how do you get around those **** needles? it seems even if I try to shield them I get grabbed still (can't dodge the grab in time afterwords.. do I just try harder?). The needles still tend to hit me when I try to get above sheik as well (peach not fast enough to jump?) I'm talking about when sheik is in the air with the needles, btw.

Cort

Apple Head
Cort, are you and the other Peach players willing to crew battle the young Link crew?

we should play at *Pound* 3 yo! ^_^
I don't play Peach vs faggoty characters in tourny anymore.

>_>;

But a crew battle sounds like it'd be easy.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I don't play Peach vs faggoty characters in tourny anymore.

>_>;

But a crew battle sounds like it'd be easy.
Can I be in this crew battle with you Cort? i'm pretty good at this match up. One of my best I say. I'm sure I can be of some use

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
Alright I main Peach and she's an awesome character one of the best in the game, but I cant beat any really good Fox's even crappy Fox players are still a handful. I can play fairly well against all others but Fox is so tricky and hard to read not to mention he has the infinite shine to u-smash thats so cheap. How can i clown Fox's Cort? Help me out for Peach's everywhere that hate Fox!

Top Bottom