• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official AC Villager Discussion Thread! He smiles as he smashes faces in! [Update: CONFIRMED!]

D

Deleted member

People need to realize that it's not the number of games that's the problem.
With just two games, Sakurai already felt the series was deserving. However, his problem was that characters from the series don't fit Smash's violent nature.

I assure you, if anything in New Leaf pops up that adds any sort of violence, a character would be added in a heartbeat.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
With just two games, Sakurai already felt the series was deserving. However, his problem was that characters from the series don't fit Smash's violent nature.

I assure you, if anything in New Leaf pops up that adds any sort of violence, a character would be added in a heartbeat.
once again, I agree with GoldenYuiitusin.

Animal Crossing just doesn't fit with Smash Bros.

Brawl already represented the series very much, with a stage, an assist trophy as well as the Pitfall item.

taking a character from a life-simulating game and put it in a fighting game is just off.

besides, what are some of the few Assist Trophies that are useless? Mr. Resetti, who just rambles about and Nintendog, who just block the screen. what I mean with this is that characters from these series just don't have any fighting prowess.

to further prove my point, here's a list of fighting occasions of all characters already featured in the Smash Bros. series so far:

[COLLAPSE="Click to expand"]Mario series & sub-series:
Mario - Platform games, he essentially beats up Goombas and Koopas time and time again. Also starred in RPGs, which, guess what, have battles.
Luigi - See Mario.
Peach - Playable character in Super Mario RPG, need I to say more? No? Good!
Bowser - Fights Mario and is a boss. 'Nuff said.
Dr. Mario - Well, duh, he's Mario in a doctor's outfit.
Donkey Kong - Mario's archrival before Bowser. Shows enough fighting in DKC and other of his games.
Diddy Kong - Also a character in DK games.
Yoshi - Fights alongside Mario. Also has his own series of platformers.
Wario - More or less the same reasons for all characters above. Is a boss in his debut, also stars in his own series.

As you can see, all Mario characters have their share of fighting, there are boss battles in the platform games, as well as RPGs, which involve fighting as well. So, it works in Smash.

The Legend of Zelda:
Link - He has a sword, bombs, a bow... what are these? Weapons? What use has a weapon? Ah, yes, fighting.
Zelda / Sheik - Uses magic and light arrows, also has her share of fighting, specially in the final battles against Ganon. Sheik also proves to be quite capable of putting a fight. Why? The Sheikah are portrayed as the protectors of the Royal Family, and if you want to protect anyone, you must know how to fight back enemies, right?
Ganondorf - He's a dark lord. What kind of dark lord-type character doesn't fight the hero in the end? Has a sword and uses magic, originally. He's more than capable of fighting.
Young Link / Toon Link - See Link.

Zelda's an adventure game with lots of fighting and bosses. Works for Smash as well.

Metroid:
Samus / Zero Suit Samus - Bounty hunter? Check. Kills Space Pirates? Check. Has a badass Power Suit with lots of weaponry? Check. Has an emergency pistol and good physical strength? Check. In order words, works perfectly.

Kirby:
Kirby - Possesses the ability to copy opponent's attacks. Do I need to develop on the subject?
Meta Knight - Has a sword. 'Nuff said.
King Dedede - Has a massive hammer. Is usually the final boss in the Kirby series.

All Kirby characters have fighting abilities and work fine for Smash.

Star Fox:
Fox - Even though the games are rail-shooters with space ships, it is implied that Fox might recieve some training in ground. In fact, later games also feature fighting on foot.
Falco - See Fox.
Wolf - See Fox.

Despite being in vehicles, the Star Fox characters also have their share of fighting.

Pokémon:
Pikachu - Come now, one of the main premises of this franchise is the fighting between the monsters themselves, and they have quite the array of moves.
Jigglypuff - See Pikachu.
Mewtwo - See Pikachu.
Pichu - See Pikachu.
Pokémon Trainer - See Pikachu.
Lucario - See Pikachu.

Fire Emblem:
Marth - Fire Emblem games are about war and Marth has a sword.
Roy - See Marth.
Ike - See Marth.

EarthBound:
Ness - RPG series, like Pokémon. Ness possesses PSI powers, which can be used to beat up whatever thing he meets.
Lucas - See Ness.

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon - Outside of the races, C. Falcon is a bounty hunter who hunts down criminals, likely requiring a beating too.

Game & Watch:
Mr. Game & Watch - Some G&W games involve fighting or violence, such as Vermin or Boxing. Lion involves avoiding lions to flee from the cage using chairs, implying that you hit them with chairs.

Ice Climber:
Ice Climbers - Climbing mountains for veggies, while beating up Topis and Polar Bears that stand in your way. Did I say they have hammers?

Kid Icarus:
Pit - Pit has a bow and beats up Underworld minions with it.

Pikmin:
Olimar - Uses the Pikmin to beat up wildlife that threatens him in his objective of repairing the ship. When alone, he's also capable of punching his foes.

R.O.B. series:
R.O.B. - Not even a character by himself, but putting a robot in a fight isn't too farfetched.

Third Party characters:
Snake - He's a soldier and is armed to the teeth. 'Nuff said.
Sonic - Possesses fighting abilities. Starred in two fighting games before.[/COLLAPSE]

If you read all of this, you now know what tells apart these characters and the Animal Crossing villager. They get involved in conflicts and fighting isn't out of their character.

What do you do in AC that compares to what these characters do?

There are no battles whatsoever, no boss fights, no conflict of any sort.

What makes you think that a happy-go-lucky villager who spends his time decorating his home and such activities suddenly appear in a Smash Bros. game beating up whoever gets in his way? That's the question, folks, not the quantity of games released or importance. It's the character himself, his characterization as portrayed in the source games themselves.

All characters in Smash are fighters already in their source material, while Animal Crossing doesn't contain one bit of violence or conflict. I think it's pretty obvious on why these characters are unfitting for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Despite what Sakurai had said though, there is the off chance he may change his mind.
Afterall, he did state that he could make a player character as a fighter using tools such as the bug net and shovel, but he felt the need to prioritize characters more suited for fighting.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14333871&postcount=98436

Given that we're reaching near the end of the line of who is "priority" (and even then, there is constant debate on over who is priority and who isn't), it is possible he could revisit the idea (like other ideas he revisited in the past).

So "Animal Crossing Boy" may not be so unfeasible.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Despite what Sakurai had said though, there is the off chance he may change his mind.
Afterall, he did state that he could make a player character as a fighter using tools such as the bug net and shovel, but he felt the need to prioritize characters more suited for fighting.

Given that we're reaching near the end of the line of who is "priority" (and even then, there is constant debate on over who is priority and who isn't), it is possible he could revisit the idea (like other ideas he revisited in the past).

This really helps his chances.

Animal Crossing just doesn't fit with Smash Bros.

taking a character from a life-simulating game and put it in a fighting game is just off.
You know, that is a poor excuse. That sounds like something that Sakurai would say about a character for not being eligible enough to make the roster. Like ramps being on every stage in order for a character to be playable or Balloon Fighter's reasoning for not being in a smash game yet.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Although I get the feeling otherwise (from how he was presented) I hope he's customizable. Probably not, though. =(

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I didn't even want to believe in an animal crossing character anymore after Brawl but there he is.
Congratulations for everyone who have keep their hopes up despite everything who have been told to them. I hope you will enjoy him.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I am amused by how small this thread is.

Villager looks like fun and he has some clever moves. Hopefully his alternate outfits are more than just color swaps.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice

hahahahahhhahahahahhahahahah B-BUT SAKURAIS RULES

spoiler, he has none

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
villager gives no ****s

D

Deleted member

hahahahahhhahahahahhahahahah B-BUT SAKURAIS RULES

spoiler, he has none
Why don't you try a little harder next time before attempting to troll me, considering what I had said in the very next post:

And lo and behold; I was right.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Hmm wonder if there is a girl villager choice/alternate. I'd think if its just a generic character they'd just make it female by default due to the lack of females in smash. But I love the inclusion of balloon fighter recovery move, since I didn't think he'd make it anyways.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I am amused by how small this thread is.

Villager looks like fun and he has some clever moves. Hopefully his alternate outfits are more than just color swaps.
I know Tom Nook was the more popular AC rep over Villager, and that may be why... haha

I hope it's shirt/face swaps too!! And since it's a gender neutral name, I hope there's a "girl villager" swap too!

EDIT: Also the "Balloon Fighter" recovery in trailer made my heart drop because I also want him in :(

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'll admit the Villager wasn't my first choice for an Animal Crossing rep, but all the same, congratulations to his supporters! Who knows, maybe there'll still be other AC characters...
... maybe.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Actually, I don't think it's out of question since Tom Nook did look at the Smash Bros invitation when the villager drop it.

Yeah, not really sure what to make of it... I mean, let's be honest, that shot was mostly so we could take a look at the letter's seal. It'd be a little different if we saw that it was Smash, Villager ran off, and then we saw Nook pick it up and smile.

... and I was hoping for Resetti, mostly because an angry mole with a pickaxe sounded awesome. But it's all good.

So, to me, the Villager's moveset reminds me a lot of Game & Watch's. They both grab random non-combat items to fight and they both seem to absorb energy projectiles. How do peeps feel about him being kind of like G&W?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I wonder if his punching gloves are a reference to Punch-Out! seeing as Punch-Out! was playable in the original GCN version.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I didn't really play the AC games... are boxing gloves an item in any of them?

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Boxing glove and bowling ball edgeguard move might be Wii Sports references.

Sakurai also confirmed that he uses turnips on Miiverse.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
It would be nice that if you link you AC game, you get to play as your own personal villager. But if you don't have the game, you play as generic Villager from the trailer.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
At first I was like ok... But now I'm like OK!! First of all HE IS A SMASH NEWCOMER PRAISE THE HEAVENS. Second of all he looks pretty awesome and animal crossing has always deserved a rep. Third I love how hard sakurai is trolling the "shoo-in" fans by putting him and megaman only in the trailer. Fourth I love that he has a balloon fighter move. At first I was a little bummed because I am a fan of balloon fighter but then I was like balloon fighter wouldn't have made it anyway, but now his iconic move can still be represented. HOORAY!!

Also does anyone see the curious look on Tom nooks face as a sign of something? Personally I think he will be in the story in some fashion, probably not as a playable character, but represented nonetheless!!

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Yeah it seems he has a move based off the various classic games that can be played in animal crossing. Baloon fight is one, Punch out is another, and there are quite a few others, including ones for characters already in smash, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with that. http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Games

Also I've noticed just now Villager's profile on the smash bros. site only has WiiU screenshots. Maybe he's WiiU exclusive?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So what do we think his specials are? It looks like one of them might be summoning a tree which he can then chop down to hurt foes, and his recovery is probably the Balloon Fighter thing. Also, one seems to be catching projectiles.

Balloon Fighter Recovery (Up B)

Plant Tree/Chop Tree (Side B?)

Possible Neutral B specials: Bowling Ball, Slingshot

Grab projectile...? (Down B)

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Boxing glove and bowling ball edgeguard move might be Wii Sports references.

Sakurai also confirmed that he uses turnips on Miiverse.
Holy crap. You discovered something. Those are all "Mii game" references. Wii Sports: Box gloves, bowling ball NintendoLand: Balloon Recovery.

Maybe this doesn't deconfirm Balloon Fighter and Little Mac! Maybe it deconfirms Miis?

Top Bottom