• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Pokemon Stadium Thread!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I think it's an improvement. The stage changes will now actually influence the way you battle as opposed to just a change in aesthetics.

Oh and why do they always have to hide something.. can't wait to see the electric stage.

Raikou-

Smash Apprentice
This was a very disappointing update for me. I loved counter picking Stadium in tourney in Melee. With all these new super gay forms the stage has, I'm sure it's not gonna be tourney legal anymore. I wouldn't wanna play on that wind thing anyway.

Rawr!

Smash Cadet
Grr... My post didn't post...

What if the PKMN in the background can deal some damage?
Like those pokes in the first PKMN stage..

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
For the flying stage, does your jump ability get boosted only when your on the platform? If not then it makes easier recovery which would be interesting.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
This was a very disappointing update for me. I loved counter picking Stadium in tourney in Melee. With all these new super gay forms the stage has, I'm sure it's not gonna be tourney legal anymore. I wouldn't wanna play on that wind thing anyway.
quoted for being exactly what i was gonna say.

WAKE UP PEOPLE THIS IS GOING TO BE THE ****TY GAYNESS OF BRAWL.

gnosis

Smash Lord
The stages look less broken to me than they were in Melee.

Half the time in Pokemon Stadium, changing the stage just meant it was time to camp. These look like they will modify the fight without merely postponing it.

And slippery floors + boosted jumps every great now and then does not a banned stage make. Not even a counterpick stage. It still looks just as neutral as PS in Melee was.

You people are such babies sometimes =/

Edit: I guess I should put my standard disclaimer. No, I'm not certain this will be tourney legal. Based on my very limited knowledge (4 screen shots and a few sentences), I currently feel comfortable with the idea of it being legal, even neutral. Experience will be the ultimate test though.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So possible toruney banned = bad stage?

*grows huge like the Puni Elder*

STUBBORN MULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost makes one wish the tounrey scene never existed. >_>

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
And slippery floors + boosted jumps every great now and then does not a banned stage make. Not even a counterpick stage. It still looks just as neutral as PS in Melee was.
you're completely wrong. boosted jumps are way too wacky/random to have in tournies and the Ness UFO stage in melee was banned in part because of traction issues on the UFO.

does look like a fun friendly stage, though.

Sir James

The Doctor
I doubt this will be tourney legal, but who cares? There seems to be plenty of stages that are tournament worthy. Pokemon Stadium 2 looks like a ton of fun and I can't wait to try it out.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Tourney legal is stupid. You tourney people have enough legal stages. If you want more tourney legal rules then change the rules. This game was meant for fun. 1/50 chance of cheap deaths is not a good reason to ban something. This stage will own.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
you're completely wrong. boosted jumps are way too wacky/random to have in tournies and the Ness UFO stage in melee was banned in part because of traction issues on the UFO.
Seriously? How could a stage be banned due to a random piece of occurring terrain being slippery? I thought the stage was banned mostly due to the Peach bombing stall :confused:.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Seriously? How could a stage be banned due to a random piece of occurring terrain being slippery? I thought the stage was banned mostly due to the Peach bombing stall :confused:.
Also Marth being able to perform a perfect tipper Forward Smash on the center building when the opponent is on the other side

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think that the old Pokemon Stadium will return as a past stage. That's why they called this one Pokemon Stadium 2. They made a new Battlefield, but they didn't call it Battlefield 2.

SteveTV

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure you're right on this one.

Plus: Ice=great wave dash fights, and the flight seems like it will be similar to the melee 1p level where you fight the wire frames. Which I personally enjoyed and look forward to playing in multi player.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i like it. pokemon watch you in the background (reminds me of saffron) and there's a new gimmick to it. it's not just pokemon stadium 2.0, it's pokemon stadium 2

neutral stage is nice, and i knew there was only one platform! the groundon update was blocking the stage, but i KNEW there was only one platform.

ice is good. slippery. may be annoying but it will be a blast to play on

flying...I LOVE IT! sakurai said he was pushing aerial combat, and this proves it. i can't fight to be jumping all over the place using my air combos moves

and i wish we could see the electric stage, but that'll have to wait

mathos

Smash Champion

Fourside was banned due to the terrible camping tactic and the horrid camera angles at times.

I'm excited to see all sorts of different pokemon on the stage. I counted 4 in the screenshots.

But with all these different (random) stage gimmicks perhaps everyone is going to have to man up and learn how to play on a huge variety of stages.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
I honestly look forward to playing this stage. I've wanted a gravity affected stage ever since I played the wire frames in adventure mode. Now, I finally get something close to it :).

The other 3 elements though do look/seem pretty interesting.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
I'm still pondering what the Electrical field will be like.

Honestly, I'd like to see a 3rd platform come out the ground in the middle, and occasionally, a bolt of lightning shoots up to one platform and electrifies it for a brief second.

So something like this:

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
mathos
I'm excited to see all sorts of different pokemon on the stage. I counted 4 in the screenshots.
How'd you get 4? I only see 2.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Dugtrio and Cubone are on the ground stage. Skarmory is in the background of the flying stage.

I didn't know there was a fourth one.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
You need to distinugish this discussion between the new PokeStadium 2 and the return of the old one...

SteveTV

Smash Apprentice
I don't know much about Pokemon, but if you look at the left side of the ice stage you can see a shadow and a foot. Possibly the 4th?

gnosis

Smash Lord

False. Fourside was banned due to camping issues. You're pulling the traction issue out of your ***. If it were true, why isn't Mute City banned? It's far more likely you'll actually play on the low-traction area on Mute City, and both are just as 'readable' in their appearance.

And we have NO IDEA how boosted jumps will work out. And it looks like it will only happen right over the stage. Either way it's not random, and 'wacky' itself isn't a ban-worthy offense. It's way too early to make a call on it being banned.

mathos said:
But with all these different (random) stage gimmicks perhaps everyone is going to have to man up and learn how to play on a huge variety of stages.
That's how I feel. I'm very much a tourney***, but I still think the Brawl boards tourney***s are way too ban-happy.

Unless you meant it sarcastically...

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
its cool to see pokemon stadium take a new role, with different feilds and all, but im just hoping they dont overdue it with cuhrazee effects. like maybe in the electric stage, there might be a random environmental hazzard where you can get shocked at one point. Maybe by the a certain part of the stage. i want the physical changes to the gameplay to be minimal so that this stage can still be tourny legal...peace

-hiroshi

Cyberbot5000

Smash Apprentice
They will probably keep the original Pokémon Stadium and place it under classic stages. This stadium looks better than the one from melee, pity there are not more arena type conditions such as posion, ghost etc.

If there was a ghost arena you could have parts of the arena become intangible for periods of time meaning you would have to keep on your toes

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
They look good, but, dunno, the air stage looks a bit..empty, you know, just jumping around..:ohwell:

Legolastom

Smash Hero
The 4th Pokemon is Driftloon in the BG of the the flying one if you zoom in on the spot you can tell its Driftloon.

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
I always found casual play more fun anyway. But I love the stage! It actually makes you change your stratagies and play style instead of just adding a few extra backgrounds.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
The flying one looks fun, it would suck to be someone with low priority ariels tho.

man, imagine spikes and meteors from up there!

*is excited*

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The 4th Pokemon is Driftloon in the BG of the the flying one if you zoom in on the spot you can tell its Driftloon.
Thanks for pointing that out. Do you think the likes of Driftloon / Cubone will interfere with play or are they just aesthetic? Sakurai only says "This time around, you’ll see guest Pokémon appearing in the background." Either way it's a nice touch.

I don't know much about Pokemon, but if you look at the left side of the ice stage you can see a shadow and a foot. Possibly the 4th?
I have no clue what that is. A Pokemon? Any other ideas?

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
This thread should be renamed "Official Pokemon Stadium 2 Thread!" since that's the name of the stage. Also, the fact that they include the 2 implies the original is going to be in the game too, so that would be a separate thread with the name this thread is currently using.

Top Bottom