• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Oct 6, 2015] Game Underground : Smash 4 Weeklies - WE'RE BACK AT A NEW LOCATION!... (Natick, MA)

Bloodcross

Smash Champion

1245 Worcester St Suite 1094
Natick, MA

Games: Smash for Wii U

Schedule:

6pm Signups open
7:00pm Smash for Wii U Singles Begins
10:00pm (Roughly) Closing

Join the New England Smash 4 group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NESmash4/

Prices:

$5 Venue fee
$3 Entry for Smash for Wii U (depending on attendance I will raise this price to $5)

Match Settings:

• Singles rounds are 2 Stocks, 6 Minute Time Limit
  • Doubles rounds are 3 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Matches are best 2 of 3, Winner’s Finals, Loser’s Finals, and Grand Finals are best 3 out of 5
  • Items are set to OFF and NONE
  • If time runs outs the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage.
  • If the percentage is also tied, a tiebreaker round is played.
  • If the Round ends in Sudden Death (as the result of both characters dying simultaneously) one of the following happens:
    • If the sudden death was caused by a suicide attack (Ganondorf Side-B, Kirby inhale, DK grab, etc.) the person who performed the move is awarded the win.
    • If a suicide move was not the cause, a tiebreaker round is played.
  • Tiebreaker Round Rules: 1 Stock 3 Minute played on the same stage with the same characters.
  • For the first round of a match, either player may request a double blind character selection. Each player will tell their choice to an impartial 3rd party, who will then reveal both choices.
  • For subsequent rounds both players may change characters, but the loser of the previous round always gets to choose second.

Custom Moves, Equipment, and Miis:

• CUSTOM MOVESETS ARE BANNED
  • EQUIPMENT IS BANNED
  • MII FIGHTERS ARE LEGAL*
  • Mii Fighters are legal, but only with their default 1111 moveset and at neutral (50/50) size
  • Mii Fighters may NOT be imported from a 3DS, consoles will be pre-loaded with tournament legal Mii Fighters.

Downloadable Content and Updates:

• Any consoles brought to events to be used as a tournament console are required to have the most current Super Smash Bros, for Wii U update data and balance patches. If you are unsure on what the most recent version is, ask your TO.
  • Any consoles brought to events to be used as a tournament console are required to have purchased the following DLC:
    • Any playable characters
    • Any stages that are a part of the stage rotation
  • A console that is not up to date or is missing the appropriate DLC is NOT a valid tournament console.
  • New downloadable content will be made legal at the first event to take place after that content is released, unless: It comes out 2 days or less before a Weekly -or- It comes out 1 week or less before a Monthly/Invitational. In which case it will become legal at the following event.
  • Balance patches will apply to all events after they are made available for download, regardless of the legality of new content at that event. If a new patch is released on the day of an event, an internet connection will be available at the venue to download it.

Stage Settings:

• The following stages are legal:
  • Starting Stages:
    • Smashville

• Final Destination

• Town and City

• Dreamland
  • Counterpick Stages:
    • Castle Siege

• Delfino Plaza

• Duck Hunt

• Battleship Halberd

• Lylat Cruise

• Kongo Jungle 64 (doubles only)

• Omega stages are considered to be Final Destination, and are banned together with it. (If you ban FD, no Omega stage can be chosen either.) (Both players must agree to an Omega stage choice, if an agreement cannot be reached the default is Palutena’s Temple.)

• The Miiverse Stage is considered to be Battlefield, and is banned together with it. (If you ban BF, then the Miiverse stage can’t be chosen either.) (Both players must agree to to use the Miiverse stage, if either player disagrees then default Battlefield is used instead.)

• Stage Striking is used to determine stages.
    • First round: Rock-Paper-Scissors is used to determine striking. The winner strikes one starter stage first, then the loser strikes two, then the winner chooses one of the remaining two stages.
    • Subsequent rounds: The winner of the previous round bans TWO stages from the full list, and the loser gets to pick from any of the remaining seven.
    • Dave’s Stupid Rule: You may not choose a stage you have most recently won on during a match, unless agreed upon by both players.
    • You may pick a stage that you yourself banned earlier in the set.

Gameplay Rules:

• The act of stalling is banned and is defined as intentionally making the game unplayable. Examples include becoming perpetually invisible, continuing infinites/chain grabs/uninterruptable moves past 300%, and/or reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Should you believe your opponent is stalling, please call for a TO so that it may be observed
  • Any attempt at inducing lag on purpose (such as covering the infrared sensor with their finger) may result in a DQ. Accidental issues may result in the player being given a warning with consistent offenders removed from bracket.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary of triggering one of these effects.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning the TO or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • The TO’s decision is final on all matters of match fairness. If a situation arises that compromises the integrity of a match (such as an unexpected emergency) it is up to the TO to determine how to handle pausing, rematches, and any other issues.
  • Coaching, when done respectfully, is allowed after a match and between rounds.
  • Between rounds coaching must be kept to 60 seconds or less.
  • Coaching is NOT allowed DURING rounds.
Prize Payouts:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Livestream: www.twitch.tv/gameunderground

Game Underground has been the backbone of New England's Smash community for many years. For those of you who are looking for a good, stable tournament to have fun a good time at this is the place to be! So I hope to see many new and familiar faces here to take Smash 4 by storm!

Last edited:

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Also, I'll likely be getting there a little before 7 if traffic permits.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
~my body was not prepared~

Shoutouts to BC outplaying me very well with Fox.
Equal praise to Hazmatt's patience with Mario, very entertaining and informative last hit matches :)

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
This Tuesday's weekly at Game Underground will be the weekly right before Apex. As such I will be switching the ruleset to the 2 stock format. Neutrals will be FD, SV, and BF. Counterpicks will be Lylat, Duck Hunt, Delfino, Halberd, Kongo Jungle, Omega Stages, Castle Siege and Town & City. Next week I'll go back to 3 stock OR the preferred ruleset up to this point - post below for your intake on which stock format our weekly should go by from post-Apex on.

So I hope more people, especially those going to Apex, can show up and support and get some practice in before the big event. If you're not going to Apex, no matter I still hope you can stop by.

However, there will be a huge snowstorm coming our way in the next 2 days. We're said to get up to 2 feet of snow at the maximum. So if the snowstorm doesn't clear prior to the event I may have to cancel this weekly. So just be aware. If I don't mention anything about it this again then you can assume the event WILL be happening.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Smash 4 will NOT be happening at Game Underground this week (January 27th, 2014) as the store will be closed! From midnight on, no one will be allowed to drive for at least 18 hours. Spread the word so no one is going to the store only to find it closed.

shin1223

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1865-1002-9637
Hi, I have two questions.

First, if I would be 1st, 60% of what could I get?
I mean, what is total money?

Second, do I have to preregister for tournament?

sorry, I'm not familiar with an American rule....

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Hi, I have two questions.

First, if I would be 1st, 60% of what could I get?
I mean, what is total money?
Hello, Shin1223. First place wins 60% of the total prize pot. The prize pot is based on how many players there are.

Example:
The entry fee is $3, so it is $3 to play in the tournament.
If 30 people each paid $3 to play in the tournament, the total prize pot is $90. (30 x $3)

1st place gets $54. (60% of $90)
2nd place gets $27. (30% of $90)
3rd place gets $9. (10% of $90)
Second, do I have to preregister for tournament?

sorry, I'm not familiar with an American rule....
No, for most tournaments you register when you arrive at the tournament.

Hope this helped :)

Last edited:

shin1223

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1865-1002-9637
Thank you so much! I got it.

Maybe I'll come tomorrow, if it doesn't snow...lol

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I hope you come Shin! I'll be there if you need any help with rules or anything.

Everybody else watch out for Shin, he's crazy good. He had a nasty set with Prawn in the grand finals of a tournament this weekend.

CrossbowPig

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrossbowPig
3DS FC
2621-2883-4274
Just wondering, what kinds of controllers are legal for this tournament?
I saw a guy on the Smash Bros sub-reddit who won a tournament while using a steering wheel controller and was wondering if something similar to that controller would be legal or not.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Generally speaking the rule is "Any controller type supported by the game is legal, all officially made controllers are legal, and any 3rd party controllers are legal as long as they don't have some sort of Turbo or Macro function"

Even then pretty much every fight stick ever has turbo, so the unofficial rule is "Use whatever you want, but if your TO catches you using Turbo/Macros he's gonna DQ you real quick"

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Not like it matters with Smash or most fighters in general; turbo functionality isn't going to give you any advantage other than buffering moves accidentally.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
True, they're primarily used in games like CoD, where there are guns that fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
I know this is a silly question but can you guys confirm that you will be hosting this weekly? I would love to come tomorrow but i'm not sure if can make it due to work and snow but I'm looking to shift my work schedule around for future Tuesdays just for this.

Also, if this is not the first smash 4 weekly you guys have had, do you normally have a fairly good turn out? lets say at least 8 people? I'm looking to get into the tournament scene and I figured this is the best place to start :D

Thanks to anyone that replies.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I've seen upwards of 20-something entrants, but there's usually at least 8 players even in poor weather. There should be no snow tonight. Almost anyone that goes can host it, so don't worry about it happening or not. It's not dependent on a single TO.

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I will be there, and hosting. Unless the snow gets so bad that Jamie wants to close the store or something (which won't happen, were only supposed to get an inch).

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I will be there, and hosting. Unless the snow gets so bad that Jamie wants to close the store or something (which won't happen, were only supposed to get an inch).
Wunderground says snow is less than an inch and ends at 3PM. I'd expect it to not stick because of the sun.

nugget61

Smash Rookie
Does anyone travel here from Middlesex county? I live in Watertown and would like to go sometime next week, but the mbta is a no go right now.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I haven't seen it, but they try to when the attendance is good. It needs to be announced ahead of time so people bring their friends

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
People play casual doubles all the time. I think after the snow is gone and people start showing up more consistently, if there's enough demand for it we might do monthly doubles on like, the last Tuesday of the month or something.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Yes! I'll be showing up early to get the AmazingAmpharos Custom Move Project sets loaded on the store WiiUs. Including my WiiU that brings us to 4.

If anyone has the ability to bring a WiiU fully set up with the project, or is willing to let me set up the customs on their WiiU, that would be super helpful.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Customs Hype!

If anyone is planning on bringing a console and wants me to set them up with the movesets, feel free to come early, I'll be there at about 5:00 to start doing setup.

shin1223

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1865-1002-9637
Hi, I'd like to go to the tournament on Sunday, but I can't a ticket with my Japanese credit card...
How should I do??

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I'll send you a private message, I'm talking to Jamie to see if there's a workaround, but if not I can buy you a ticket and you can pay me back.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Weekly happening at Game Underground yet again tonight.

This will eventually be known in the title, but customs are now LEGAL from here on out.

I expect a good turnout tonight, so who wants to come show their stuff?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in the facebook group, but I'll post it here as well:

Heads up everybody! The Official EVO custom move sets are out, and the EVO ruleset is 99% locked in.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-custom-moveset-project-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/

http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/

This means that starting THIS TUESDAY (3/24) we'll be using this ruleset at Game Underground Weeklies, and we'll likely be using it until EVO (July 17th) I already have the sets loaded onto my 3DS, and I'll have my WiiU and the 3 store consoles good to go for Tuesday. Those of you who are good at math will note that 4 consoles is not enough for our weekly to wrap up any time before midnight, so WE'LL NEED MORE SET UP CONSOLES.

This is where you, the community come in. If anyone is capable of bringing a console that's already set up with these custom sets, you would be my hero, and I will offer you a limited edition, one time, high-five.

I will still be setting up sets (probably all night), so if you're planning on bringing your console for me to set up, I ask that you come as early as possible (I'll be at the store at 5, if not earlier) so I can get as many systems set up as possible before the bracket starts. This also means that I'll need some help with bracket running, and especially commentary on the stream.

IF YOU WANT ME TO SET UP YOUR CONSOLE, please bring:
-The WiiU
-The WiiU's power cable
-The tablet controller (preferably charged)
-The tablet charger (if uncharged)

Also note that since the new EVO sets use all 10 slots, I will have to overwrite ALL custom character slots on your console (Miis will not get overwritten)

I'll be setting up consoles on a first come first served basis, so I apologize in advance if I can't get them all done in one night.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
There have been some issues lately with tournaments overlapping and cutting into each other's turnout, so I made a Google Calendar that we can use to keep track of events, since not everyone has/uses Facebook.

https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...roup.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

All you have to do is bookmark the link, and I'll try to keep it updated with all the upcoming tournaments.

IF YOU ARE A LOCAL TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER, PM me and I'll give you editing rights so you can add your upcoming events

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in the Facebook Group, But I'll post it here as well:

A SUMMARY OF THE ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM LAST WEEK:

Here's our perspective schedule for the next month of weeklies Game Underground:

Tuesday April 14th: Standard Weekly, We'll be holding a vote for 2 stocks vs 3 stocks (With a poll on FB as well)

Wednesday April 15th: Mewtwo becomes available for Club Nintendo members, and the update and balance patch that come with him go live. GOING FORWARD if you bring consoles to weekly nights or tournaments your system must be updated to the most recent version.

Tuesday April 21st: We will likely be NOT holding the weekly this week, as Game Underground will be in the process of moving, although this may change, and I'll make an announcement when I know 100%

Tuesday April 28th: There will definitely NOT be a weekly this week due to the move. This is also the day Mewtwo is released to the public. GOING FORWARD weeklies and tournaments will require all publicly available DLC characters to be on all consoles for any events that take place at least 1 week after their release. (Mii costumes aren't required)

Tuesday May 5th: Unless there is some major catastrophe that prevents the store opening, this will be the date of our first weekly at the NEW GAME UNDERGROUND LOCATION in the NATICK MALL.

TL;DR: No Smash 4 weekly the 21st or 28th, May 5th will be the first weekly at the new store, if you bring consoles to events they need to be updated to the latest version and have all the DLC characters available.

Also the vote for 2 Stock vs 3 Stock is up now

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
So for those of you that weren't there Tuesday:

There will be NO WEEKLIES at GAME UNDERGROUND APRIL 21st and 28th. The store will be closed for the move.

The first weekly at the NEW NATICK MALL LOCATION will be MAY 5th

Top Bottom