• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Oceanic Netplay on Discord | RoA Tournaments on Thursdays | Project M on Sundays

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Crew Battle Rules
Due to the nature of netplay we cannot unplug and replug controllers like an offline Crew Battle. To counteract this, the two current players in the battle will join a room of their own, please make sure that Hardpelicn (Max) also joins every match so he can kindly stream it for everyone.

- Enter the rules and select "Stock Control", each player sets the amount of stocks they begin the match with
- Start at 4 Stocks, No Time Limit

STARTER STAGES ONLY
Both players ban one stage each then hit random.

The proceedings for the night will be as follows... (outlined in the previous post as well)
- Captains for the two teams will be the top placing players on the current Power Ranking (Star and Jamwa for this Sunday)
- At 6:30pm we will begin signups; players state their name for a place in the crew battle (This will be capped at 20 players)
- At 6:45pm signups will close and the Captains will have a single match to determine who picks first (to build hype)
- Captains will take turns choosing players for their crew and separate Skype groups will be created with the crew members for strategy (save the normal chat for trash talk)
- At 7:00pm the Crew Battle will commence (streamed by Hardpelicn)

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
And the crew battle is over! Congratulations to Jamwa's Team (Team Spooky)

It came down to 1 stock between DD_ and Kaiza in the end but Kaiza prevailed!

Stocks taken:

Star's Team (Team 420xx)
Sadistic - Took 1 Stock
Hardpelicn - Took 9 Stocks
Naga - Took 1 Stock
Star - Took 3 Stocks :(
Dom - Took 4 Stocks
DD_ - Took 5 Stocks

Jamwa's Team (Team Spooky)
Fudge
- Took 4 Stocks
Dreadtech - Took 2 Stocks
Jamwa - Took 9 Stocks
Gomez - Took 2 Stocks
Sociallylazy - Took 3 Stocks
Kaiza - Took 4 Stocks

Congratulations to all of you.
We hope to see you all at the tourney next Sunday and the next Crew Battle in October/November. Hopefully it won't be such a laggy mess like tonight was.

Last edited:

SaltBunny

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to competitive smash and to be honest, not very good. I was wondering if anyone in the group would be around my level? So I don't get destroyed too badly.

Hughie

Smash Lad
Hey guys, I'm new to competitive smash and to be honest, not very good. I was wondering if anyone in the group would be around my level? So I don't get destroyed too badly.
Yes, there will be people around your skill level, as skill levels in the group range from low to high. Although many of the players are top-tier in this country, they are all friendly and will help you improve! So don't be afraid to join!

DD_

Smash Journeyman
The group has players of all different skill levels and we get newcomers all the time. Trust me though after a week or two you'll be wanting to get destroyed so you learn faster :D

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
We have the best doubles player in all of Australia, Dreadtech I don't know what your talking about.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Aaaaand the tournament is over! Thanks to all that participated! Even though we got less players than previous weeks it was still a very fun experience for all of us, I'm sure! Jamwa's forfeit in the Winner's finals made the Loser's Finals obsolete and Hardpelicn and I did the Grand Finals.

Hope to see you guys next week at 6:45pm on Sunday!

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Hey All, Even though you're all aboard the smash 4 hype train right now, we'll be running PM Le Papz 4 this sunday night! Come hang out, play some PM, play some SM4SH w/e just come in the chat and we kick it all off from 6:45 as per usual

baileeh

Smash Rookie
With the release of Smash 4 on the 3DS, there has been a lot of posts in random places by people looking for games. Heaps of people in our group have already started playing games with each other, just ask if anyone is looking for a match in the chat and someone should respond quite fast!

We are putting together a list of every ones friend codes so it can make finding games a lot easier!
The list can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PAmdoY-kDBmYNmBv0cBaee9xdUJmDy0e3Dx8ALGixuU/edit

So if your looking for games or just want to chat about Smash 4 join our group!

Also if the skype notification spam annoys you, then you can type either "/alertsoff" to have no notifications at all or "/alertson [Phrase here]" to be notified whenever someone says that phrase, for example mine is "/alertson baileeh".

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
We just finished our first Smash 4 Tourney: SM4SH Bonaza 1! Grats to Matt for the win, that extra of month of practice really paid off!

Hope to see you all next week! We're figuring out what we're going to do with future tournies in terms of whether PM or Smash 4 is to be played and we're considering dedicating a different day of the week for Smash 4. We'll let you all know about the details later.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Matt G is a cheater having the JP version of smash so early

Good games guys no johns, its even harder figuring out a rule set for banning when you cant communicate.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Gratz to Matt-G, Dreadtech and Star!
Can't wait to join you all when the Wii-U version is released

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
With the rising popularity of Smash 4 and the remaining legacy of Project M we've decided to have tournaments for each game on their own night of the week. Smash 4 (SM4SH Bonanza) will now take place every Friday, signups starting at 7:45pm with the tournament beginning at 8pm. Project M (PM Le Papz) will remain on Sundays, signups starting at 7pm for a 7:15pm start. (All times are AEST with Daylight Savings)

Smash 4 3DS Ruleset

Ruleset
- 2 Stocks 5 Minutes
- Bo3 for normal sets, Bo5 for Winners, Losers and Grand Finals.

- Equipment is banned
- Custom Moves are banned.
- Items are set to off and none.

Stage List
Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island - Starters
Prism Tower - Counterpick

Both players will pick Mr. Game and Watch and Side B in a game, whoever gets the higher number can choose to ban first or second.

- First Player will ban 1 stage from the starters, Second Player will ban 1 stage from the starters, match proceeds on the last stage left in the starters.
- After first game, the winner will ban one stage from the starters and counterpicks, Loser will pick the stage. This also applies in the third game.
- Dave's Stupid Rule is in place. (Cannot pick a stage you have already won on in that set, unless the other player agrees to it)

----------------------------------------

I hope you all enjoy this ruleset for Smash 4. This is one we formulated over much discussion and we hope to receive feedback from all those who participate as to whether this works or not. Hope to see you all there!

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
This is exactly the ruleset I'd love to start with on Day 1, adding a few more stages after experimenting and maybe testing custom moves. Love it, if only you could stream it for me :(

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
This is exactly the ruleset I'd love to start with on Day 1, adding a few more stages after experimenting and maybe testing custom moves. Love it, if only you could stream it for me :(
If Matt G could get to Hardpelicn's house or something it might be a possibility. Also, Splice, do you have Smash 4? I'd love for you to participate.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman

Result, will post more about custom moves and how it went tomorow!

mask1n

Smash Cadet
NNID
mask1n
3DS FC
0318-7208-5996
It was real interesting seeing the character variety from our top 6 players - off the top of my head, I saw at least Peach, Jigglypuff, R.O.B., Pac Man, Little Mac, Sheik, Duck Hunt Duo, Pikachu, Bowser and Dark Pit being used!

Thanks to everyone I played for the intense games, and sorry to Nathan for the lag closer to the end of the night - your Pac Man's still great lol.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
So last night's tournament went fairly well, with a couple of hiccups involving 3DS's being shared and certain players being unable to connection each other but in the end we had it complete in about 3 Hours. A couple of things to note about last nights tournament and possible changes we might make the in future.

Legality of Certain Things

- Custom Moves were used by about 35% of entrants I'd say. A lot of players had issues getting used to fighting people that had odd setups but this might only remain a problem while the game as young and people aren't used to the strategies that Custom Moves can add to a tournament.

- Mii Fighters were used by about 3 Players. The general consensus is mixed but at the moment it looks like we'll be keeping Mii Fighters in future tournaments as they didn't cause any perceivable problems.

- Our Stagelist was very well recieved. We'll probably stick with this one unless a patch is released that removes hazards or something similar.

State of Usability and Variety

- As Matt just said above me, the Top 7 players used a variety of characters:
:4peach::4jigglypuff::4rob::4pacman::4littlemac::4sheik::4duckhunt::4bowser::4darkpit::4luigi::4miibrawl::4bowserjr::4miigun:

This is really good! Hopefully Smash 4 turns out to be quite unique and balanced with its large roster.

- Most players banned Prism Tower, though this is to be expected considering its a counterpick and only favours a certain portion of characters.

- The most popular stage, by far, was Battlefield. Whether this was because people were comfortable with a stage from Melee/Brawl or beacuse it was good for their character, I'm unsure.

Online Tournament Drawbacks

- We discovered that it's impossible to tell if your opponent is using equipment or not when playing online as selecting characters is a complete Double Blind pick; you cannot see their character or what moves/equipment they may or may not have equipped. This is concerning and unless this is patched, we hereby ban Custom Moves/Equipment from future tournaments.

- Also, Challonge doesn't support Double Jeporady so I was forced to play Chris Woo again after he knocked me into Losers which was a bit concerning.

- We cannot stream as connecting a capture card 3DS to a room with other players in it causes latency because it does not support a spectator mode, unlike Dolphin for Project M netplay.

----------------------------------------

We hope that you all analyse these findings and get back to us on any concerns you may have. We will continue running the weekly Smash 4 series but from here forth, Custom Moves/Equipment are banned on the basis that it is impossible to tell if someone is using Equipment or not. (Mii's are still allowed because Equipment are automatically removed off them outside of the Custom Moves switch)

We'll see you all next week.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
- We cannot stream as connecting a capture card 3DS to a room with other players in it causes latency because it does not support a spectator mode, unlike Dolphin for Project M netplay.
so are your saying is that an online match that has 3 people people or more causes latency, even if all 3 players were playing normally?

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure thats right cause its P2P, same thing for dolphin, it just an extra step of communication.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
so are your saying is that an online match that has 3 people people or more causes latency, even if all 3 players were playing normally?
No I'm just saying that having 3 players is more laggy than having two. Especially if streamer is in another state than the players. Yeah, what Cole said; an extra step.

By the way, this isn't a problem for Local Play at all. The streamer player can pick Jigglypuff then break his shield to signify the start of the match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom