• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Now that the game is out, who are your REAL mains. Did you expect such a character?

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
Greninja became my main when I got the game

originally it was dark pit

also little mac rose to be one of my mains too but mostly for the wii u version

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I never imagined myself playing as the Mii Brawler, Little Mac, or Villager so much. Love all of them.

UIFlames

Smash Rookie
I always loved luigi, and I had hope for him. He's amazing but then I played King Dedede. Holy smokes was i blown away. I love the way Dedede feels in Sm4sh. He moves so fluidly

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I planned for :4sonic::4mario::4megaman::4pacman::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4pit::4palutena:
I lost interest in :4wiifit:, and :4palutena:, while I'm still interested in maining her, feels like she would be more comfortable on the Wii U version.
Also, not a fan of Palutena's default moveset, so I probably won't play her online often.

Last edited:

RNH

Smash Cadet
:4duckhunt:Love how campy he is. Side special is simply amazing. Although none of his moves are useless. His smashes have such huge hitboxes too. He kinda reminds me of Snake, who was my Brawl Main. I've been doing decent online with him.

I also like:4wiifit::4pacman::4bowserjr::4link::4villager:

Ian095

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eponian
3DS FC
0473-7759-5302
I expected to play as :4bowser::4kirby: :4robinm::4shulk: :4duckhunt:

What I ended up playing as :4bowser::4shulk::4zss::4littlemac:

What I'm interested in :4robinm::4duckhunt::4greninja::rosalina:

I mained Bowser in the end, he is definitely a powerful character and most matches I've won in Glory 1V1 is with him though every so often I will play as another of my mains. I was pretty disappointed with Kirby as I didn't seem to do that well most of the time playing as him online when he was my main on Brawl. I pretty much adapted to which characters I do best with though this may change as there is characters that I'm interested in playing as/learning and havent fully played as yet.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
My old mains are still my mains: Kirby, Samus and Marth. I've played Link a lot, too. I've been playing Charizard less than I thought I would, but as I expected, I'm really liking Robin.

And quite unexpectedly, Mii Gunner is getting a lot of attention from me.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
When I first started and right before I got the game I was expecting to play :4bowser: and :4lucina: until the Wii U version came out.

What I didn't expect to do for the 3DS version is add at least two more people to my line-up. I'm still practicing with the characters to see, but,

I've also begun to use :4megaman: and :4sonic:. Mega Man was the biggest surprise for me. I've been using metal blade and DThrow to FAir string combos quite efficiently and he surprisingly works well for me. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be using :4charizard: just yet. Also :4sheik:. She also surprised me. I play her in Melee, but just picked her up and she is absolutely DEADLY. Like wow, she got a serious buff from Brawl.

This is gona be tough, and eventually I'll hafta narrow down who I use for the sake of perfecting and mastering those characters for tournament efficiency, but I've got quite the line-up I can use for now.

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
I was expecting :4robinf:, but to my surprise, I'm really liking :4darkpit: more (in the 3DS version at least)

I'm really liking his moveset, especially his side-B and it all really fits my playstyle. Perhaps :4robinf: will be my Wii U main

Dorizzle

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4227-2265-7992
So I went into the game not expecting that much of a difference between characters and I thought :4falcon::4fox:would be my mains but after many hours of playing, I came up with something different. So far, my mains consist of:4gaw::4alph::4sheik::4yoshi:. Game & Watch and Olimar (Alph) are two characters that I have never played with before in melee, brawl, or Project M. They feel right and I have done fairly well with them in 1v1s. Sheik plays like melee sheik so its something I'm used to although I will have to learn some new tricks. Yoshi has a great combo game in my opinion and feels very fluid. Other than that I will be on the lookout for more characters and I kinda already have them in mind :4falco::4samus:.

PuzzlePrism

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperMudkip
3DS FC
0301-9791-4897
:4villager: By far my best character. I played almost all of my 20 hours in the demo with him so I'm already used to him.

:4duckhunt:Also pretty good at him. Still needs work, since I do SD with him sometimes by not recovering fast enough or blowing myself up.

:4ness:My old Brawl main feels different, but I've been enjoying him. I do feel a bit bad for spamming PK Fire though. Usually I use him to counter speedy characters, but I've found out I need to relearn the PK Thunder recovery move.

:4tlink:Pretty much the same as Ness. Feels different from Brawl, but I can still use him. Really bad using him against speedy characters though.

I'm also working on a few other characters:
:4jigglypuff:Never played as Jiggly much before, but I'm really liking her. I'm pretty terrible at it against players but against the AI I win a ton with her.

:4kirby:Used to play him a lot in Melee and Brawl as a kid but I haven't used him much lately. Wanna get good with him agan though.

:4robinm:I just really like his game and his playstyle so I want to get better with him, but I have issues getting damage on people right now.

:4roy:Liking the playstyle, not very good with him right now though. Needs a ton of work.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
So far I'm lking all the characters who are balls.

So :4kirby::4jigglypuff::4metaknight::4pacman:

But mainly Kirby, but I feel like Jiggs has a lot of potential just not online.

Frosty~

Smash Cadet
Working on Sheik, she's just so fast and hard hitting! Also trying to learn how to play Lucina and Roselina better. ;-; Huh, all female characters...

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Who I expected:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4wario2::4olimar::4pacman:

Who I play now:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dedede:

I was so amazed with how good Bowser Jr. feels, I'm playing him almost twice as much as Bowser, who I've played since Melee. Also Dedede, he's a cool dude.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Who I thought I'd main-:4greninja::rosalina:
Maining 100%- :4charizard:
Interested in- :4jigglypuff::4lucina::4shulk::4gaw::4rob::4yoshi:

:4charizard:Charizard caught me off guard tbh. I fell in love with his moves, mainly flare blitz because it is just an amazing punish tool/ recovery/ projectile demolisher.
:4shulk:I've also used shulk alot and his nair is godlike, I seem to love spacing characters this time around.
:4greninja:I REALLY REALLY wanted to use greninja but he's just not clicking, :[
:4rob:R.O.B oh my god rob. He feels so good this time around. Totally a contender for a man.
:rosalina:Eh. Awkward to use and I don't like her move set as much as i thought i did.
:4gaw:Haven't used yet but i like how he looks this time
:4lucina:I'll probs have her as a secondary, shes reliable and I like that
:4yoshi:Same thing with rob. They made yoshi so good, that dash attack, that fox upsmash, the power on bair. He just feels right.

flacofaloc

Smash Cadet
I thought i was gonna main DHD, but goddamn am i terrible with him. Im currently feeling Peach.

edit: Okay im really liking Peach. She takes a little time to get used too, but she has so many options its awesome. And that side-b...

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Out of everyone I ended up planning to main the most, I ended up with Mega Man, Greninja and C.Falcon as people I'm most comfy with.

Planned people I'm not feeling... Lucina, Lil Mac, Marth, Pit+Dark Pit, Shiek(What I'm growing to love about greninja feels better than what grew on me about shiek in the past) and Link is kinda iffy so far but I'm working with him.

Robin I'm still working with, he feels tricky to me and hacven't fully given up on planned people I'm not feeling so much yet either. I mostly blame 3DS controls and game mechanic tweaks.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Sulk has been my main from day 1, and he still continues to be. I really want to get the hang of ZSS though.

And whenever I want to play for fun, I just choose Lucina.

Palutena wasn't that great until I unlocked all of her custom moves.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Mains:

:4duckhunt: - I'm very surprised of how well he plays. He's got an excellent combo game. The exploding can attack can really mess with people's heads. If you time it that attack just right, you can get some great combos. His aerial game is excellent for follow ups and finishing moves. Definitely see him being a high tier character in the future.

:4falcon: - Feels mostly in between his Brawl and Melee form. He's got his excellent combo game back and has a much better side b and recovery. The grab game with him is amazing. I could see him being near the top.

Secondaries:

:4mario: - Just the way I expected him to play. Nothing changed from the demo. His much faster pace gives him a better chance at performing combos. The aerial game is very balanced and fast. My only complaint is his down b. FLUDD is useless unless you customize it to where you can have it do damage.

:4littlemac: - His ground game is by far the best in the game. Even though his aerial game and recovery is not good, it can be used effectively. You just have to when to use it. I could see him being somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly higher.

:4drmario: - He feels a lot like his Melee moveset. He's slightly faster and has a pretty good combo game. His recovery is not the best and this is why I prefer Mario over Doc. Doc is just a little bit too slow for me, but is still a very strong character.

Honorable Mentions:
:rosalina: :4shulk: :4marth: :4palutena:

What I Expected:
:4mario: :4drmario: :4falcon:

What I Got:
:4falcon: :4duckhunt:

Last edited:

mega5657

Smash Rookie
:4mario::4lucina::4tlink:

They were my expected mains and after playing the full game I'm sticking to 'em. However the roster is full of fun characters that I still haven't gotten to use to a large extent, like :4ness::4robinm::4gaw::4luigi::4drmario::4pikachu::4olimar::4zss::4megaman:

EDIT: :4falcon:

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Just based on a few hours online:

:4palutena:: I don't know how she turned into my main. It just sorta happened. Her ground game is surprisingly solid and her throws feel right with me. I don't like all that end lag at the end of her tilts but I work around them.

:4greninja:: It actually to me a while to get used to him. (It took like 10-15 lost online matches to finally get used to him) He's become a good secondary character. That dash attack is awful though and I'm just not good with that Fair.

:4pikachu:: I knew I'd get good with pikachu if I turned off tap jump. I JUST KNEW IT! (Secondary)

:4megaman:: The demo helped alot with me getting good with him. He's stupidly difficult to kill with sometimes and the gimps don't work as well as I thought. (Maybe I'm just not used to using them on human characters.)

:4larry:: I like his color scheme over the other koopalings. I've yet to actually try him out for more than a few minutes but from what I did do, I really like him.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I planned on :4robinm::4pit::4lucina::4darkpit::4lucario::4shulk::4palutena::4marth:in that order.

As of now, I'm liking :4robinm::4darkpit::4lucina::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4pit:... With Jiggs being a big surprise and my top three being pretty close.

g00dapollo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Barayas
3DS FC
0061-0892-6923
I anticipated maining :4shulk:. I love his style, and the way he plays, but then I started messing with :4zss: , and found her play a little more enjoyable. So I think I'm going to stick with :4zss:, and have :4shulk: in my pocket.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
:4fox: get's booted off immediately for SSB4. I will only use him in 64, Melee, and Brawl. I can't stand his freaking voice that fluctuates from okay grunts and annoying, nasally "LHAANDMASSSSTER" or "FHYER!". Even the "Shhh" sound for Fox Illusion is just plain weird. I don't care how good he is. I don't care if patches breaks him and gives him his own tier of godliness. So, :4falco: get's to replace :4fox:.

I'm really liking :4darkpit: and :4ness: in this game. I rarely used :4ness:, but I can see using him from time to time. Maybe not as a main, but a character to use from time to time. :4darkpit: wins over :4pit: since for whatever reason, :4pit: is affected by :4fox: Syndrome of having fluctuating pitches for his voice; :4sonic: too, but that's because apparently, they ripped his voice from Generation. So, those 3 go back and forth from puberty so rapidly it's not even funny.

:4littlemac:, :4falcon:, :4link:, :4lucina:, :4myfriends:, :4yoshi:, :4luigi:, :4sonic:, and :4sheik: from what I played are probably going to my most used characters. :4falcon: is back, :4link:'s much better, and :4myfriends:'s still a power house. :4lucina: just makes sense for my play style since I'm not that good at spacing and :4littlemac:'s style just fits on baiting, deceiving, and hitting hard and fast. :4yoshi:, :4luigi:, and :4sonic: remain as my fun and mess around characters.

:4villager:/:4villagerf: might end up as characters I never use since I can't figure out their play style. It was the same thing with :popo: and :4olimar:/:4alph:, but :4olimar:'s more manageable to use in this game compared to Brawl for me.

I haven't unlocked :4ganondorf:, :4bowserjr:, :4jigglypuff:, :4rob:, and :4drmario: yet so I can't say for most of them along with :4bowser: except for :4jigglypuff:. I rarely used :4jigglypuff: and I don't plan on using :4jigglypuff:. It's probably the same thing as the above and :4marth:'s spacing.

:4samus:, :4zss:, :4greninja:, :4zelda:, :rosalina:, :4shulk:, and :4robinm:/:4robinf: will probably take practice if I want to use them a lot.

SiriusBull

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3909-8777-3464
I've been using Duck Hunt the most.
Lemmy, Peach, and captain falcon I've been using a lot too.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I was originally going to main Kirby and Pac Man, but I ended up maining Kirby and Greninja. I usually have Kirby as a main (although recently I haven't been using him that much since my mother also uses him) but I was really hoping to main Pac Man this time around. I don't know why, but he was just kind of a disappointment. Greninja, however, felt really nice to use, and I decided to main him. I've also grown to like Wii Fit Trainer.

Coq1

Smash Rookie
I thought I was going to enjoy playing as :4greninja:, turns out I hate it
Never thought I would enjoy playing :4metaknight:, turns out I like him a lot
I'm also a bit underwhelmed by :4samus: and :4sheik: which I really liked in PM but am having trouble doing good with them in Sm4sh

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Captain Falcon is ridiculously good this time around. I can't get enough of scoring blastzone KOs on everyone from a grab at 50-60 percent. It's hilarious how much harder most other characters have to work for it.

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Shulk. Knew it.
My fallback was my brawl main Yoshi. Yoshi is really good but I kinda want to explore other options now. I think I'm sick of him tbh but I can still play him fairly well.

I've done some Paletuna love/hate relationship there.
Tried Kirby but his reach is so bad.
Lucina/marth is alright might explore.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I thought I would main Captain Falcon like I have in the other games but I've been doing better with Diddy Kong, ZS Samus, and Pac Man!

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I'm really liking Wario so far, which is weird because I thought he was horrible in Brawl.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Thus far? Too early to call it, but I find it deliciously ironic that despite being one of the few who wanted Duck Hunt Dog in 2013, I end up not feeling him as much as I'd hoped. Likewise for Robin; super excited for him/her; not very good with them.

Of the old favourites Yoshi, Bowser and Mario still work fine for me(or better in Bowser's case), and of the newcomers Pac-Man and Bowser Jr. have ended up impressive.

Wario, who I'd previously been terrible with is now one of my more viable options too, much to my surprise.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I was a gung-ho about maining rosalina prior to release, was highly interested in greninja, and thought i'd use samus as a sub yet again. Now, i'm still interested in using rosalina but admittedly she's kind of underwhelming and for some reason i'm just not feeling samus in this game. as for greninja, i've found i like another ninja more.

Characters i've grown to like so far.
1) Lucina. now admittedly this didn't come as much of a surprise. i've played marth since melee and i feel that lucina is just plain better than marth in this game. she seems to move a bit faster, up smash is a more viable kill move than with marth, and honestly with marth's nerfed range the tipper just isn't as worth it IMO.

2) Charizard. I love this burninating dragon. good range on his normals, massive power, and his new flare blitz special is crazy and i love it. overall this dude is super fun

3) Sheik. I love her vicious combos, those grenades, and bouncing fish.

4) King Dedede. I wasn't too keen on this guy's playstyle in project m and brawl was just plain boring but he just "clicks" so to speak in this game. despite what people say about him getting nerfed i think he's overall a much more well-rounded character now. I miss his old bair though.

5) Zero suit Samus. pretty much for the same reasons everyone else has said.

Others i'm considering too:
Ganondorf(an old favorite from melee and project m who seems pretty decent here)
Megaman(big megaman fan here)
Rosalina
Zelda

Top Bottom