• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Now that the game is out, who are your REAL mains. Did you expect such a character?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So, I really thought I'd like Bowser and Charizarr in this game. Turns out I'm not feelin' em as much as when I played them in the demo. Especially Bowser.

The characters I have personally grown very comfortable with are the following:

1) Samus

Easily the most used character so far. Her projectile game and ledge game are out of this world. It is extremely easy to punish landing lag with the Charge Beam and it KILLS this time. She also easily has one of the best pivot grabs in the game as well as guaranteed combos off of down throw like up air into up air and if you're REALLY FEELIN IT, Up B. She has very little trouble in many match ups, at least for now. I especially find it easy to take on Rosalina, since any projectile stops Luma in its tracks. She also takes on Robin with a somewhat even projectile game. My biggest problems is facing Little Mac, who is pretty resistant to projectiles, and Duck Hunt.

2) Falco

My answer to Little Mac pretty much. His down throw absolutely destroys Little Mac. It puts him in such a bad spot the best option is to literally jump and then Side B back(not really though, lol). Falco also has a 100% safe move to use and it's just to laser at the start of the match, haha. Falco's bair is deceptively strong, killing at low percents. I haven't exactly found its sweetspot but a spammable kill move is crazy. Down B can also gimp.

3) Meta Knight

Possibly the hardest character for me to use. You really still rely on his B moves to kill here. Up B spam is a very viable strategy here especially OoS since his normals do so little damage. However, he has legit up air combo's. I've effectively strung together 4 hits in a legit combo ending with a Nado. Down Smash is almost useless this time around since it's so slow, does like 8%, and has no knockback at all. MK's kill move falls under FSmash, UpB, Down B, and gimping ability. Even with all these faults, I believe MK has potential. He needs to play like a camper, except he doesn't have a projectile. My most defensive character.

4) Peach

This one is unexpected. She actually feels REALLY good in this game. It's funny, she doesn't feel floaty in this game even though she can straight up float already. I'd even say she's faster than Melee Peach minus the auto cancels and movement options of course. She can float over many many characters safely and just her moving presence pressures opponents like always. Turnips come out slower, but they're still great projectiles. Kill moves? A lot. Her Fsmash kills now. Up Smash kills, down smash, fair, nair, bair, back throw, stitch face, side b, so many! Side B is super fast in this game. It's already active when she spins which was previously not. You can chase people and tech chase with it as well for great damage. It also sends you far so it's a little difficult to punish, especially grounded. Robin is easy sauce since a lot of the projectiles are low to the ground. Ganon is hopeless(not really), and Bowser cries.

Characters I'm interested in right now:

Link
Ganon
DK
Marth
Fox
Shulk(just to spam the I'M REALLY FEELIN IT taunt)

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
I went in thinking my mains/secondaries would be something like this :4duckhunt::4robinm::4drmario::4marth::4lucina:, but after playing for two days I find Doc and Robin don't really live up to what I expected, and was also pleasantly surprised by how Bowser Jr. plays.
So at the moment I am thinking Mains: :4duckhunt::4marth::4lucina: Secondary::4lemmy:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
:4shulk:By far used the most, He was tricky to learn due to almost every single one of his attacks having a significant amount of start up and ending lag but I feel I've finally managed to make Shulk really good :D

:4olimar:Wasn't feeling him at first because his up smash got a horrible amount of ending lag and his aerials fail to kill even at ridiculous percents but bit by bit Im warming up to what they have done to my Brawl main.

:4mario:Been maining Mario forever and I feel this is his best official iteration by far. His down throw to u-tilt and his up air just combo for days.

:4greninja:So much fun to play as. I was really surprised how quickly I picked him up. Needs alot more work tho.

:4kirby:Has epic combos/ follow ups with forward throw-fair or dair-utitl/grab. Really enjoying Kirby-feels alot like smash 64

:4lucario:Lucario doesn't flow nearly as well as he did in Brawl imo but he is insanely strong due to the nature of the game usually having 130-150 range being a common thing. That aura buff.

:4tlink:Also really different from Brawl. I miss his arrow cancel, as well as his zair follow ups and bair strings. Haven't used him that much but I hope to develop him a bit more.

And yea :3

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
More or less what I expected, my signature has 'em all.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I wound up liking Falco way more than I expected to, after seeing how slow he is. I'm still sticking with Shulk and Lucina as planned, even though I've yet to find any real reliability in Lucina other than her counter and Dancing Blade. She's still fun to play with speed and raw power. Robin is another good pick for me with his diverse attacks, swapping between magic styles and sword types rather rapidly to keep the enemy on edge.

And I saw this coming, but ZSS is incredible. I LOVE her speed and punish power. I like to whip her out whenever I lose as my swordbro and change things up.

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Palutena is still my number one, no changes there. Zero Suit Samus is very fun to use as well however poor Duck Hunt just doesn't sit right with me, no matter how much I tried liking the guy, it didn't click >~<

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
^ The guys, not the guy :p

I have been playing Bowser Jr. the most, as I expected. Duck Hunt is amazing too. Also, I didn't expect to like Pac-Man as much as I do.

That said, my most played character so far is Robin, but I don't think I will actually main her. :)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
:4greninja: Was my planned main, and IS my main. He's exactly what I was hoping for. He's agile, which I like, and his smash attacks have some really good range, ESPECIALLY Usmash, which has godlike priority. Up Special can be used to edgeguard and set up for Fair's off-stage, but I'm still practicing this.

:4myfriends:Not quite a sub-main, but he looks a lot better aesthetically in Smash 4. I never liked him in Brawl, but I like him in Smash 4. <3

:4drmario:Again, mostly just for aesthetics. He does feel weaker than Mario when it comes to combo's, but I'll still play him. I consider him a sub main.

I've been playing other characters as well, but I don't think they're really worth mentioning.

:4shulk:*spams side taunt* I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! I'm really feeling it! Ok, I'm done.

Last edited:

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
:4myfriends:- As expected. Loved him in Brawl, and he seems a little faster in the air this time around.
:4marth:- While nerfed, I still enjoy using him.
:4link:- I'm so happy that Link isn't terrible this time around.
:4littlemac:- So much fun to use. Was expected though.

I'm still getting the hang of every character, but as of right now these guys are my mains.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Was expecting to main Dr. Mario, Kirby, Bowser Jr., and/or PacMan
Now I main PacMan, Kirby, and Bowser Jr. (in that order). Dr. Mario is trash in this game so he's out.
Still not sure if he's going to stay my main, could switch with Bowser Jr. but thats it

xTeru

Smash Cadet
Greninja, love how he looks like and how fast he is. Up B edgeguarding is priceless too haha

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
1) Zelda
I knew this already, I've been playing Zelda since Melee

2) Zero Suit Samus
Played her in brawl and PM. Saw no reason to drop her at all.

3) Samus
So, Samus was another person I had as a main in Melee, but in brawl she was just awful. I've come to respect the great space warrior in her armour again.

4) Lucina
Previously played Marth, but I'm not really liking him in Smash 4. Lucina is the next best thing.

5) Dark Pit (Kinda)
I hate normal Pit. I actually just hate him. Always have. Dark Pit is slightly cooler to me, and he hits a little harder, which is better for me.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
:4pit:: My main main. Been playing him since I got Uprising and realised how much of an amazing game it is.

:4greninja:: My other main, Greninja is my favourite Gen 6 Pokemon and since there isn't any Mewtwo on the roster (for now) he is my Pokemon of choice.

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice
:4littlemac:: He's just too much fun.
:4ludwig:: I'm surprised at how much I like him!
:4pacman:: I expected him to be slow but he's REALLY good
:4shulk:: I'm really feeling it!
:rosalina:: She's so good!
:4duckhunt:: I just unlocked him today... His white and black color looks just like my dog!

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Shulk - My absolute main. At first, I used Robin more than Shulk, but that was because I still needed to get a grip with him. After playing a crapton of matches, I've finally gotten a good idea of how to utilize him (at least how I think I should lol). It's very satisfying to play him, and if I do, win.

Robin - The first character I've played in Smash 4 and it was a lot easier to get into using her than Shulk. I love using the Levin Sword so much and the sound effect it makes when it lands a hit is just so pleasing. Aerial Arcfires are great. :4robinf:

Lucina - She's quick movement and attack-wise, unlike my other two characters. I do enjoy that I can rushdown players using her, and that Shield Breaker is "uunf-sexy".

As for Palutena, I just can't get the hang of her, so I don't think she'll be a main of mines, wah. :4palutena:

Last edited:

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
So far, Sheik is my main, she really feels like in Brawl+. Other than that, I play Yoshi. Those two are nothing unexpected for me, but I think Rosalina and Duck Hunt Duo are gonna be my mains after a while.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I used Doctor Mario on a whim and have found I really like him. I still haven't tried everyone, but he could easily end up my main at this point.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
:4myfriends:: As expected. He was my main in Brawl.

:4link:: He's so much better than he was in Brawl.

:4robinm:: His play style fits me perfectly.

:4shulk:: I really like his play style.

:4sonic:: This one was unexpected but he's just so much fun to play as.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
originally it was: :4bowserjr::4sonic::4greninja::4duckhunt::4drmario::4charizard::4villager:
now its::4bowserjr::4pacman::4drmario::4olimar::4sonic:

ive only won against good players for glory as bowser jr and dr.mario so i main them the most.
pacman is surprisingly strong. and olimer was my main in brawl (sonic aswell) but i origanally wasnt fond of his changes. but i discovered outside of his recovery he still same strengh wise.

duckhunt, greninja, and charizard were disappointments.
villager was my demo main but now that i have my REAL mains he took a backseat.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
Lol I knew my mains before it came out and I'm still playing them

1) Pikachu
I mained him in brawl and was decent with him in PM. I still think his playstyle fits me. Still has an issue against sword characters mostly like lucina and marth.

2) Robin
Because yes.

3) Marth
Because counter

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Palutena is still my number one, no changes there. Zero Suit Samus is very fun to use as well however poor Duck Hunt just doesn't sit right with me, no matter how much I tried liking the guy, it didn't click >~<
Dude that's sad because I find the dog AMAZING. Seriously, his controlled projectile game is unrivaled, even by the likes of Robin and Samus.

Speaking of Robin, I have been enjoying Robin quite a lot. His/her Elfire is a stronger version of PK Fire and I'm loving it. Only thing is Nosferatu is borderline useless in a real 1 v 1 match. Also, if you have no Levin Sword equipped, you are pretty much weakened in every aspect.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that even if Nosferatu is borderline useless, you can still Robincide with it.

I planned on maining Villager but I ended up maining Mario instead. It is true what they say, sometimes your main character finds you :S

Little Mac, Little Mac, Little Mac... Oh I knew your air game was one comparable to that of a 5 year old girl (I still planned on maining you) but dang, IT IS BAD. So bad in fact that is better not to use aerial attacks when playing as him. Still, his ground game is amazing and to make the best out of him you have to be on your toes at all times.

The Mii Fighters are a lot of fun. Gunner is the most broken, Swordfighter is the most fun, and Brawler is the crappiest.

All Veterans seem awesome to use (specially Yoshi and Bowser) except the following:

- Falco: Man, he didn't get nerfed, he got destroyed on this one. With chain grabbing pretty much gone, Falco is very well nerfed already. To add insult to injury, his spike is still great but it has A LOT of start-up frames (sort of like Mario's spike); its going to be very hard to get used to that. On the plus side, His Down B has more range and he does not go into helpless once he uses his side B in the air.

- Donkey Kong: My former main back in Smash 64. In this one, DK seems slower than usual and with a little less range in his attacks. What bothers me the most about DK is that his ground Spinning Kong now has NO super armor and it can be stopped by pretty much anything (including Mario's weak fireballs). What used to be my main way to get close with DK now has been thrown out the window.

- Marth: This guy has been amazing to use in past Smash games but now it looks like his sword being shrinked in size is not the only thing that got shrinked about him. The things that made him amazing in previous titles now all got changed. Because of his smaller Falchion, the range on all of his attacks is now reduced. His Forward Air has increased ending lag, meaning that I have to adjust to that.

All in all I'm liking everything about this game (even Smash Run).

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
My main hasn't really changed since the game came out. Rosalina & Luma is still my #1 main and my most played character with my second being Little Mac. I feel unstoppable with her! xD

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Bowser, Robin, and Charizard. I wanted to main Bowser Jr and Villager, but I'm awful with Bowser Jr and I got bored of Villager's moveset. I definitely didn't expect to main Robin (I didn't like his gimmick) or Charizard (I disliked him in Brawl).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I actually got :4yoshi::4gaw::4duckhunt::4drmario: right. The ones I thought I'd feel comfortable with but I was wrong about were :4marth::4littlemac::4fox:.

And then I picked :4lucario: for the first time on a whim against a skilled Rosalina. I won with both stocks.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I'm a really defensive player at heart.

:4robinm: Guy just had so many options. Combos are really satisfying too. It took me a while to get the levin sword mechanic down, but he just feels awesome.
:4olimar: I almost never lose with this guy, so I play him if I lose round 1. I feel like people just don't know how to play against an Olimar for some reason.
:4marth: Bit nerfed, still feels good though. The only character I play super aggressively.
:4tlink: Brawl Main, so many awesome projectiles to use.
:4ness: He plays very well this game. I'll use him on occasion.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Mario lost his number 1 Main spot to Link because he improved so much in this game. I haven't began to dive into custom moves yet, but from what I've played so far, this game plays totally different and it actually benefited some of the lower tier characters from the last entry. I am still working on Ness a bit, he feels as solid as his N64 counterpart, but I must say that Mario is a combo beast in this game as he should be.

In my signature you will see my other characters I am looking forward to trying in this game.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I wanted to main Villager and Robin... However I find both their movesets just aren't my type of playstyle. The constant switch between Bronze and Levin swords and the looming threat of losing Thunder when I need it really makes Robin more of a "play for fun since I like the game he's in" type of character, but certainly not one I want to main. Villager has a seemingly low amount of kill moves except one with very little range and one that takes a while to set up. Again, not my preference of playstyle.

Until I unlocked him I didn't even know Duck Hunt was in the game, I've been running him a lot and doing rather well. I tried Peach and Rosalina just to see how she changed from Brawl and how she played respectively, and found both to be great.
And I might use PacMan a lot because I like using his Dash A. Wakawakawaka.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I have mained puff for 15 years, ever since smash 64. Of course I´m still maining the puff in smash 4. I will main her in smash 5, smash 6, Etc Etc.

But one of my friends, who knows how much I love Fire Emblem. (It´s one of my favourite franchises of all time).
He told me to try:4lucina:, andI I did ! She was actually quite fun to play as, and I won 6 for glory matches with :4lucina:.

But I´ll definitley NOT main her. I´ll not alt her. I don´t play with alts, I only play with my main.

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
1: :4robinf: I expected this one very far in advance, mainly due to the fact I'm a fan of physical-magic hybrid characters, (and maybe the fact I love Fire Emblem a bit too much) and Robin pulls it off almost perfectly. Waiting times for the Levin Sword and the tomes don't really effect how much I use her. Heck, the Bronze Sword, while not being great for killing, is great for building up damage.

2: :4kirby: He's always been one of my mains since Smash 64, so expected

3: :4littlemac: This one, I honestly wasn't expecting, since I'm usually using aerials, though :4littlemac: seems to really be able to really be able to punish people whether they're on the ground or in the air. Loving his playstyle more than I thought I would, every punch feels so satisfying.

4: :4lucina: Replacement for Marth, never was a fan of the tipper mechanic

5: :4greninja: The guy managed to knock Zelda off my list, which is impressive considering her tweaks in this game. While I wasn't a fan of Sheik in previous installments, and Greninja is somewhat similar (seriously, his up-air...), I enjoy using Greninja more, though I'm not sure why. Might have to do with the fact his projectile can KO? Down-Air bounces off the enemy? Not entirely too sure, but he's definitely unexpected for me

And heck, why not special mentions to my secondaries: :4bowser::4tlink::4zss::4samus::4ganondorf:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I came in most interested in Villager and Lucina.

Villager just doesn't work out for me, I'm afraid. She just doesn't play the way I wanted. Lucina, though, I love!

The surprise character I really like playing as is Palutena. Although I haven't really played any character much, and in fact a large amount of the roster I have yet to play.

Khao

Smash Lord
Haven't decided on a main yet, been playing pretty much as everyone.

My "group" of characters I keep getting back to is starting to get smaller, though, so I'm getting there. According to records, Pit's my favorite, but I'd say nah.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I was right that I would be good with Villager, but I wasn't expecting to love Sheik and ZSS as much as I do.

Z3N1TH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MadZenith
3DS FC
4399-2206-0442
all of my fighters have been pretty accurate to what i expected.

:4greninja: love his speed, jumps and combo game. still need to work on his sideB and how to use it the best, but overall he plays exactly like I thought he would, and I hope to get much better using him.

:4lucina::4marth: wasn't sure how these would feel after seeing so much Marth wreckage in Melee. They are nice, but their animations are slow. Most characters can pull off things like fair into bair while these guys only have time to pull off one aerial. However, the dancing blade is awesome and the upB can pull some unexpected hits altho you need solid reads.

:4megaman: this character was my most used in the demo, and was my early reliable choice. I still like his options of zoning with projectiles, anti air with upsmash and the flinching buster on A has proved very effective, not to mention upB being a life saver many many times for getting out of tricky situations.

:4pacman: this was the character i was most excited to play, and it definitely lived up to that. While I do wish he had some more variety in his smash attacks, I love his roulette projectile, hydrant and pellet chomp. Looking forward to mastering this character.

:4fox::4falcon: after watching a lot of melee this weekend, i felt like giving these guys a chance, and i actually enjoy them quite a bit. Obviously not as good as their melee counterparts, i still enjoy their balance of speed, combos and power. My only gripe with Falcon is that both his sideB and upB put you into free fall, and his B options require very high accuracy to connect but naturally carry a lot of power. If i can learn to control these guys, I think they could be very formidable still.

Top Bottom