• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 1, 2014] The Road to TGC (Houston, Texas)! Free venue and free food!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Official rules for The Road to TGC have been added onto the OP. Please make a post here if you have any questions regarding the rules.

I guess I'm skipping oni-con after all >_> lol... the competition here should be better than the convention anyway.
Whoa you have an old account here on SWF. Did you go to any HOBOs or HOST events in the last 10 years? Either way, it would be nice to meet/play you. I hope you come :)

SmugSuspenders

Smash Rookie
If one just wants to come to spectate, is that allowed? Dont know if I feel ready enough to try my hand out in an actual tournament, but would love to experience the atmosphere. Especially after watching the Smash Documentary lol.

Xyro77

To be clear, Custom Moves are allowed in the regular singles, and aren't a side event?
Yes.

Is mii fighter gonna be legal in regular dubs and singles? Please say yes -_-
Yes.

If one just wants to come to spectate, is that allowed? Dont know if I feel ready enough to try my hand out in an actual tournament, but would love to experience the atmosphere. Especially after watching the Smash Documentary lol.
Most def yes. I do recommend entering an event though so that you can get free food. You don't have to though.

These are good questions! If you have anything else to ask, bring it on.

Last edited:

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
Whoa you have an old account here on SWF. Did you go to any HOBOs or HOST events in the last 10 years? Either way, it would be nice to meet/play you. I hope you come :)
Haha, yeah... I never was too active on this but it was always nice having an account to randomly look around.

I went to a few HOBOs years ago. I also ran a few tourneys with my friends' group at conventions in Austin, San Antonio, and here in Houston up to like 2009... not that those were important lol.

Definitely going to this to see how my Zelda stacks up :D

Xyro77

Awesome, man. I'm the oldest of old gens left in Houston and it would be nice to meet a fellow ancient legend.

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
what is this smash documentary you speak of?

Xyro77

Hey guys, if you would, please bring a full set up for TGC.

WiiU/tv/kart8
3ds/smash/charger
3ds/pokemon/charger

Having these things help make the tournament run faster as well as allow you guys to have plenty of time to do friendlies/casual matches.

Popertop

Smash Champion
So I have a question about the Custom move set process.

How does it work with counterpicks, and when does our opponent know what moveset we have?

Initially I was thinking people were going to hold Custom Legal and Custom Banned tournaments, kind of like how Wobbling was handled.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I'm going to add it to the rules today.

Basically, anytime you pick a character or counter pick a character, you are required to show the enemy you custom moves.

SmugSuspenders

Smash Rookie
what is this smash documentary you speak of?
Was gonna post a link to it here but since i have not made 10 posts yet, it wont let me lol. but just go to youtube and type in smash bros documentary. There are about 9 episodes which are like 30 mins a piece.

Xyro77

TGC is in 13 days! Please bring a full set-up to this event so that we can end early and have time for friendlies or money matches. A full set-up is a game+console (pkmn/smash) or a wiiu+tv+kart 8. Also, please bring your 3ds charger and I will have charging stations set up at each table.

After looking at the free pre-reg tickets, this event appears to be one of the biggest events houston has seen in the last 2-3 years. Spread the word about TGC these last 13 days and let's make this event even bigger.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Wish this was in Dallas i would be 110% down for this. Although the wife has the day off and it is a Saturday so maybe i could talk the wife into it. I want to get into the competitive scene so this would be a cool way to meet some of the Texas peeps

Xyro77

Wish this was in Dallas i would be 110% down for this. Although the wife has the day off and it is a Saturday so maybe i could talk the wife into it. I want to get into the competitive scene so this would be a cool way to meet some of the Texas peeps
Yeah, man, you should go. Your wife is welcome too. She can enter any event she wants for free.

Xyro77

Actually we went and got tickets! Kids are welcome right?
Yes, children of all ages are welcome.

If I may, how old are your children? Are they old enough to play games?The tournament venue is a smaller building attached to a restaraunt so I do not know what there is to do other than play games.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Yes, children of all ages are welcome.

If I may, how old are your children? Are they old enough to play games?The tournament venue is a smaller building attached to a restaraunt so I do not know what there is to do other than play games.
She is 5 so she will be content with her pokemon and her old ds and watching daddy (hopefully) kicking butt (In both tourneys!)

Xyro77

Awesome. My daughter is 3 so she isn't at that level of being content with herself yet.

Well anyways, I hope to see yall on Nov 1st. If you have any more question, just ask.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Awesome. My daughter is 3 so she isn't at that level of being content with herself yet.

Well anyways, I hope to see yall on Nov 1st. If you have any more question, just ask.
Question I'm also entering the Pokemon Tourney as well, and I'm just curious about the rules. (I apologize I've been chatting with my brother who is a bigger Mon Tourney...er? but he mostly does pokemon Online stuff with the OU and UU type things so his info might be different.)

But he said he is surprised that some Mons aren't banned ( http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Garchomp_(Pokémon) like that one) and i just don't wanna get there (As i only have time to get one team together) and suddenly be down to 5 Mon's so I'm just being cautious (as this is my first time doing any competitive gaming and I'm a little over cautious normally I'm sweating bullets now that I've got a week XD)

Long story short, Only Legendaries in the end of the Mountain region dex are banned?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Question I'm also entering the Pokemon Tourney as well, and I'm just curious about the rules. (I apologize I've been chatting with my brother who is a bigger Mon Tourney...er? but he mostly does pokemon Online stuff with the OU and UU type things so his info might be different.)

But he said he is surprised that some Mons aren't banned ( http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Garchomp_(Pokémon) like that one) and i just don't wanna get there (As i only have time to get one team together) and suddenly be down to 5 Mon's so I'm just being cautious (as this is my first time doing any competitive gaming and I'm a little over cautious normally I'm sweating bullets now that I've got a week XD)

Long story short, Only Legendaries in the end of the Mountain region dex are banned?
First of all, Garchomp hasn't been banned since 4th gen (we're in 6th now lol), secondly we're doing VGC which is different from singles OU/UU. VGC is Nintendo's official format and it's doubles, you will enter with 6 and pick 4 to play with per round based off what you see from team preview. And to address the banned mons, only Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are banned, the legendary bird trio and everything in the Kalos dex is fair game and none of them are overpowered to the point that they should be banned, especially in a doubles setting.

Xyro77

Wtf Xyro, your daughter is 3 already? :(
Yeah, man. Time flies faster than I ever thought it could.

Edit: thanks P4! I'm still trying to learn this pokemon stuff.

Last edited:

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
First of all, Garchomp hasn't been banned since 4th gen (we're in 6th now lol), secondly we're doing VGC which is different from singles OU/UU. VGC is Nintendo's official format and it's doubles, you will enter with 6 and pick 4 to play with per round based off what you see from team preview. And to address the banned mons, only Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are banned, the legendary bird trio and everything in the Kalos dex is fair game and none of them are overpowered to the point that they should be banned, especially in a doubles setting.
Well i guess in singles he is still banned from time to time depending on (dont quote me on that bit) dunno /shrug Thank you for your quick response! I'm excited to test my mettle!

Xyro77

Exactly 7 days from now will be Houston’s largest smash 4 event, The Road to TGC 1. After looking at the pre-reg tickets, this event is looking like it will beat (attendance wise) every Brawl event I’ve done in 2012, 2013 and 2014. This could be record setting smash 4 numbers for Houston and maybe even Texas so please come on out, have fun, get good at smash 4 and make friends!!!!

Oh also, The Road to TGC 1 is featuring tournaments for Pokemon X/Y as well as Mario Kart 8. Having all 3 of these games require a lot of equipment so I am begging you to please bring a console/handheld, a game (kart/pkmn/smash) and a TV (only for kart). These are called “full set-ups.” If you bring a full set-up, you will have extra time to do casual matches, money matches and help the event not run until midnite. Also, if you bring a full set-up, I will try and compensate you in some way once the official TGC series launches in Feb.

Aionthesinner1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-0266-7236
Exactly 7 days from now will be Houston’s largest smash 4 event, The Road to TGC 1. After looking at the pre-reg tickets, this event is looking like it will beat (attendance wise) every Brawl event I’ve done in 2012, 2013 and 2014. This could be record setting smash 4 numbers for Houston and maybe even Texas so please come on out, have fun, get good at smash 4 and make friends!!!!

Oh also, The Road to TGC 1 is featuring tournaments for Pokemon X/Y as well as Mario Kart 8. Having all 3 of these games require a lot of equipment so I am begging you to please bring a console/handheld, a game (kart/pkmn/smash) and a TV (only for kart). These are called “full set-ups.” If you bring a full set-up, you will have extra time to do casual matches, money matches and help the event not run until midnite. Also, if you bring a full set-up, I will try and compensate you in some way once the official TGC series launches in Feb.
Ill be bringing a full set up for my X/Y and Sm4sh (just no recording stuff >.< I wish) im super excited to do this!

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Well i guess in singles he is still banned from time to time depending on (dont quote me on that bit) dunno /shrug Thank you for your quick response! I'm excited to test my mettle!
Garchomp shouldn't be banned in any format unless like I said you're playing 4th gen, but any serious tourney won't have him banned so get used to him because he is popular lol

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Looks like I won't have everything unlocked in MK8 in time...

I'll still bring a recording equip for vids if people are interested. Not sure if it will be with new cap card, wish it would go on sale...

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
Is this going to be streamed somewhere? If so could I get a link? I wanna show some people beforehand because I have a few people that want to watch that can't show up.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
If anyone OoC wants to be housed at my place, that offer is still open. There is a pretty good amount of floorspace here, but we are about half an hour away from the venue.
I need to know in advance though!

Xyro77

Looks like I won't have everything unlocked in MK8 in time...

I'll still bring a recording equip for vids if people are interested. Not sure if it will be with new cap card, wish it would go on sale...
Please bring a kart 8 set-up anyway. By the time the day is over with, all parts will be unlocked. People will be getting coins for you for 12 hours straight.

Is this going to be streamed somewhere? If so could I get a link? I wanna show some people beforehand because I have a few people that want to watch that can't show up.
There will not be a stream here this time but many many matches will be recorded by the legends at Tourney Locator.

If anyone OoC wants to be housed at my place, that offer is still open. There is a pretty good amount of floorspace here, but we are about half an hour away from the venue.
I need to know in advance though!
If you are interested in housing with @ Leaf. Leaf. or @ Sync. Sync. (he charges 10$ a night) please make a post here or PM them. This is MEGA cheap compared to a hotel.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I would just feel bad if somebody needs a part I have not yet unlocked. It would be unfair to handicap someone.

Xyro77

I would just feel bad if somebody needs a part I have not yet unlocked. It would be unfair to handicap someone.
they will be unlocked at the tournament. please please please bring a set-up.

edit: Guys, this is very important. Nintendo just released a new patch for smash 3ds. Please download the latest free Smash 3ds patch from the E-shop before you go to TGC this weekend. If a patched 3ds smash tries to link up with a non patched 3ds smash, connection errors and issues will happen. Again, please download the patch ASAP.

Top Bottom