• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 1, 2014] The Road to TGC (Houston, Texas)! Free venue and free food!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Welcome to a preview event of Houston’s new tournament series Texas Gaming Championships. This new series, starting with The Road to TGC, marks the beginning of a new chapter in Texas competitive gaming as a whole. TGC is nothing like you have experienced before and will be crafted and perfected by you, the player. This series will feature Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Mario Kart 8, Pokemon X & Y, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Killer Instinct, Ultra Street Fighter 4 and much more. Forget what you think you know about Texas gaming scene and come check out our pilot event, The Road to TGC!

Date/Time:

November 1st, 2014. Please be at the venue by 10:30am for set-up, registration and warm ups. Registration will cut off at 11:30am and there will be absolutely no admittance into any event after 11:35am. Please plan ahead by clearing your schedule for this day and leaving you house early.

Address/Phone:

Texadelphia
6025 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX, 77057
(713) 785-6700

Games & Event times:

Smash 4 (3ds) @ 11:35am
Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) @ 1:00pm
Pokemon X/Y @ 2:00pm
Leave the venue @ midnight

Event Fees:

Venue Fee = FREE! Players will not be charged a door fee at this event and all attendees can get your tickets on EventBrite. By getting your ticket through EventBrite, you are guaranteeing a spot at the event as well as helping us know potential turnout.

FREE food for players who enter at least one event will have access to chicken tenders, chips and drinks sponsored by AirbrushKing. This is a first come first served situation with limited quantity so please be at the venue on time and we will serve as many players as possible.

Smash 3DS 1vs1= $10
Smash 3DS 2vs2= $20 ($10 per person)
Mario Kart 8= $10
Pokemon X/Y 1vs1= $10

Payout:

Smash 4 1vs1/Mario Kart 8/Pokemon 1vs1/Smash 4 2vs2
1st=55%
2nd=30%
3rd=10%
4th=5%

Rules:

All rules for all events as well as the venue can be found here. Please remember that all game rules are subject to change at any time. if you have questions about rules or anything else, please post here. Ill gladly explain things.

Set-ups:

We strongly recommend you bring your own 3ds, copy of pokemon x/y and smash 3ds. Bring your 3ds charger because it will be needed. I will have charge stations set up for you to charge your 3ds but you must bring your own charger.

Mario Kart 8 is being played on the Wii U so bring a set-up (Wii U/TV/Game) for that as well. If you don't have a setup you can still come to the venue and enter the tournament. The more setups we have for each game, the faster the event will end and the more casuals you will have.

Other:

TGC Facebook Event: The Road to TGC

Give us a like on our home page at TGC: Texas Gaming Championships

Wanna be apart of Houston smash? Join the discussion and make friends here on SWF at the official Houston Thread or on Facebook in the Houston VGN

TGC and smash 4 will only get as big as we allow it to be so please share this FB link and invite your friends.

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
TGC Mobile App:

TGC Mobile app will be coming out for Android, Apple and Windows platforms. The schedule release date is early October so I will release more information on this soon!​

Last edited:

Xyro77

If you have any questions or comments, please post here. Your feedback BEFORE and AFTER the tournament will be taken into consideration. I want to try and morph the TGC events aroudn what you guys want....within reason.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
This should be interesting. Like always I'm down to help however you need me. Great idea with the charge stations.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll try to bring a recording setup for Kart. Maybe two, we shall see...

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Along with the charge stations will there be fans as well? Knowing Houston, it might still be hot in the venue.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It'll be November, so it'll be like 100+ degrees.

It'll be okay.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
MK8 :O sounds dope! I should be able to make it out. I Can bring a wii u / mk8, iffy on whether i'll have a tv to bring or not.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You are always welcome to bring your Wii U in case someone else's catches on fire or something.

Xyro77

A full setup (WiiU/tv/kart) is preferred but if all you can do is kart/console, please bring it.

Flip, it's november. So unless we have a freak autumn, it will be cooler but not cold. We shouldn't need fans.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Smash 4 1vs1= $10
Smash 4 2vs2= $20 ($10 per person)
Smash 4 Custom 1vs1= 5$ (all entrants MUST use custom moves)
Mario Kart 8= $10
Pokemon X/Y 1vs1= $10

Does this sound a little bit ******** to anyone else? This makes me not want to enter either events.

Xyro77

Custom 1vs1 is like a low tier event. It's a specialized event. You don't use ICs in a low tier event because it's low tiers only. Custom 1 vs 1 is a specialized event therefor you will use custom moves. It's simple.

If you don't like this, don't enter. One less person (who already said 2 weeks ago he doesn't want to play smash 4) I have to hear complain.

I will most def take you/others opinions into consideration but as for this event, the rule is staying. I want to test it out. The beginning of a new smash game is about testing things until we find a good fit. There is nothing wrong with testing things out.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Might as well try the event out for fun, since there pretty much isn't any other possible side event. Maybe you can find a stupidly broken setup for a character?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Much like when you banned low tiers in your mid tier events, you are the only TO that would come up with a rule to restrict something you think isn't broken.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying if I enter the side event, I can't use default specials? Thats ******** and you know it.

Xyro77

I banned low tiers from a mid tier event because they are not mid tier. You and others need to learn to read tier lists correctly.

And yes, a custom 1vs1 means custom......not default. So no default specials.

Again, I'm trying things out. I thought doing something that is totally against my nature as a TO would make people like you happy but I guess not.

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Whats up! 1st and foremost I would like to thank everyone that supported me and Xyro for the past couple of years of us running TYS/Hobo/Whobo tournaments. We are about to begin a new chapter for Texas gaming and it all starts with this event. This events food is being sponsored by AirbrushKing.net and TGCApp.net and the capacity for this venue were we are going to be at can hold 250 players. I want to go over a few things before we kick off promotion and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

#1: All attendees can get your tickets on https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-ro...t-8pokemon-xy-tournaments-tickets-13016154669. Purchasing your ticket will guarantee your attendance and you will be able to enter all the tournaments. If you do not buy a ticket, you can still come to the venue but risk coming to the event and if we are over capacity/sold out of tickets, you will not be able to come in the venue and compete in any of the tournaments. We highly suggest you purchase your ticket to guarantee your attendance. Print/show us your ticket at the venue or show us on your phone. 1 ticket per person!

#2: When you arrive at the venue follow these 5 steps:
Step 1: Players will line up and show me your ticket. I will take your ticket and give you a TGCApp.net flyer so you can download the app while you are eating if you dont already have it downloaded.
Step 2: See Xyro for registration and tell him what games you want to enter so he can enter you in the bracket.
Step 3: Grab some food while supplies last. 1st come 1st serve!
Step 4: While you are eating pull out your phone and your flyer and go to TGCApp.net and download the TGC App if you don't already have it downloaded.
Step 5: Tournaments will start and let the games begin!

#3: This event will also be the celebration of the launch for the TGC Mobile App. This mobile app will be on Android, iphone/apple devices and Windows platforms. Me and my team have been developing this app for some time now and it will be available for download early October. Downloading this app will keep you updated on the series rankings, notify you when tournaments and promotions are announced, latest news and much more. You can download the app at TGCApp.net when it becomes available.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I have a few serious questions:

1. Is it required to RSVP on facebook? I don't have an account and do not want one. Also, consider that some younger participants may not be allowed to have a facebook account.

2. Is the app required? Again, I prefer to not get it if I do not have to. Some people may not have access to a smartphone.

Thanks in advance.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
I have a few serious questions:

1. Is it required to RSVP on facebook? I don't have an account and do not want one. Also, consider that some younger participants may not be allowed to have a facebook account.

2. Is the app required? Again, I prefer to not get it if I do not have to. Some people may not have access to a smartphone.

Thanks in advance.
Ok Ill answer your questions RT.

1: RSVP is not required and will edit that but highly suggested this way we can get a feel for the attendance and yea I know some younger participants may not be allowed facebook accounts as to why its not 100% required.

2: No the app is not required but encouraged to download for users that have smartphones so that you can get updates and notifications on promotions and announcements.

Xyro77

RSVP on FB and EB isn't mandatory but it's highly recommended so we can see a rough guess on potential attendance. If you wanna do it, do it. If you don't wanna, don't do it. It's optional.

Last edited:

Xyro77

We have a person in Houston who has the Japanese 3ds so I'll be working on a rough draft ruleset this weekend. Then test it out when NA version comes out and make a final decision after a few other events across America happen.

Last edited:

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
If any OoC people are coming to this need housing, my apartment probably has the room for a couple cars. Most people will be on (carpeted) floor and it's about a half hour away from the venue (east side of Houston on BW8, but you don't need to hit tollways to get here) and Sync's is full, then we have some room here.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think you should add that only American 3DS units are allowed. It's common sense, but you know how that goes...

*EDIT* Well ****, maybe you can use Japanese 3DS to play local multi with American 3DS. Then it won't matter after all.

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Space for this event will be limited and tickets are flying fast so reserve your ticket at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-ro...t-8pokemon-xy-tournaments-tickets-13016154669. Reserving your ticket will guarantee your attendance and you will be able to enter the venue and any of the tournaments. If you do not reserve a ticket, you can still show up to the venue but if we are over venue capacity you will not be able to enter the venue. Print/show your ticket to me at the venue or on your phone. I will be announcing some information about the TGC Mobile App soon so stay tuned and lets get hype!

Xyro77

I've been advertising in different groups on FB and talking with some players. This event should do very well.

Xyro77

If dallas or any other city from TX goes, we should have a crew battle.

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
This tournament looks friggin hype. Free venue and free food is a great way to launch this series. I cant wait to attend and to meet new people.

Xyro77

Wait, do I see "dr mario kart" on the RSVP list?

That dude is super old gen! He went to some of the very early HOBOs.

I'm working on getting T-Rex and Mr 3000 to go. Return of the mega old gens.

Last edited:

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
Wait, do I see "dr mario kart" on the RSVP list?

That dude is super old gen! He went to some of the very early HOBOs.

I'm working on getting T-Rex and Mr 3000 to go. Return of the mega old gens.
Any word on the ruleset thats going to be used for smash 3ds?

Xyro77

Not yet. The game drops in the USA in 3 days. Once it does, I'll go through each stage and see what is decent and form a stage list. After this first event, I'll take player's feedback and maybe get rid of a stage or 2.

As for other rules

3 stock 7min
No items
Pretty much the same rules we have always had during brawl minus the Chain Grab rules and Metaknight rules.

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
Sweet. What is the earliest people can start showing up and do you need help with setting things up and running any of the tournaments?

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
I guess I'm skipping oni-con after all >_> lol... the competition here should be better than the convention anyway.

Top Bottom