• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Everyone from Brawl/Melee will return... few 3rd party characters

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, that's an interesting factoid you got there. Anything else you'd like to share with the rest of the class while you're at it? Football is a sport? Cotton Candy is made out of sugar? You seem like the type that is just booming with knowledge.

Firestormneos didn't agree with me. He is as confused as you are about what my earlier post meant.

Apparently reading comprehension is also, not your strong suit.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Ice cream is made out of milk.

Wow, that's an interesting factoid you got there. Anything else you'd like to share with the rest of the class while you're at it? Football is a sport? Cotton Candy is made out of sugar? You seem like the type that is just booming with knowledge.

Firestormneos didn't agree with me. He is as confused as you are about what my earlier post meant.

Apparently reading comprehension is also, not your strong suit.
Ok. Let's break the conversation down.

I began by saying, "Lucas comes from a game that did not make it to an international release," meaning Mother 3. You replied, saying, "So... Lucas confirmed to not be in Brawl, then?"

Note: if Jim was born in Canada, but moved to the United States, he still came from Canada. His country of birth does not change, so regardless of where he goes, he will still "come" from Canada. While this use of vernacular is not absolutely correct, it is often used in casual situations and is understood to mean "originate."

I replied, stating in the same vernacular, "Lucas comes from Mother 3, not Brawl"

FirestormNeos then replied, quoting your post identically to indicate that he was attempting to recreate the conversation in the form of a dialogue. He summarized my response incorrectly as "Lucas confirmed to not be in brawl" He then drew his own conclusion based off of his interpretation of our conversation, saying, "Lucas not in brawl" He then threw his own response in, saying "WAT," indicating that he clearly did not agree with me since he thought I said Lucas was not in Brawl. He then proceeded to make a joke directed to me, citing his own experience from Brawl as proof.

I then decided to clarify since you either did not agree with my use of the word "come" or you did not understand my use of vernacular. FirestormNeos decided to continue the joke insisting that I claimed Lucas was not in Brawl. I unfortunately lost my cool, and responded with an insult, which was irresponsible. I am sorry for responding in that manner. You then took it one step further by questioning my intelligence and the purpose for which I offered the information, "Lucas originates from Mother 3," when I clearly provided it in an attempt to eliminate a misunderstanding. You then attempted to separate FirestormNeos from you by saying he was confused by a post you made, which, as I just explained, was incorrect. You then closed with a response to my irresponsible insult, saying, "Apparently reading comprehension is also, not your strong suit."

If I too am not understanding the purpose of your original and following quotes, please feel free to clear up the misunderstanding. Until then, please refrain from responding with insults when others fail to grasp the meaning of your words or say something you disagree with.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
So the 3DS version holds the Wii U version back. Great, just great. Man, what a bummer excuse for some veterans being cut, I'd rather they include as many characters as possible on the Wii U, and then restrict it a bit on the 3DS.

So I guess we can kiss Toon Link, Ike, Lucario and possibly even Snake, Lucas, Jigglypuff and R.O.B goodbye. Of course that's probably overly exaggerated, but it's still a bummer that it's a possibility.
lol i WISH Jigglypuff, lucas, toon link, snake, R.O.B and game and watch can just leave

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

I began by saying, "Lucas comes from a game that did not make it to an international release," meaning Mother 3. You replied, saying, "So... Lucas confirmed to not be in Brawl, then?"

Note: if Jim was born in Canada, but moved to the United States, he still came from Canada. His country of birth does not change, so regardless of where he goes, he will still "come" from Canada. While this use of vernacular is not absolutely correct, it is often used in casual situations and is understood to mean "originate."

I replied, stating in the same vernacular, "Lucas comes from Mother 3, not Brawl"

FirestormNeos then replied, quoting your post identically to indicate that he was attempting to recreate the conversation in the form of a dialogue. He summarized my response incorrectly as "Lucas confirmed to not be in brawl" He then drew his own conclusion based off of his interpretation of our conversation, saying, "Lucas not in brawl" He then threw his own response in, saying "WAT," indicating that he clearly did not agree with me since he thought I said Lucas was not in Brawl. He then proceeded to make a joke directed to me, citing his own experience from Brawl as proof.

I then decided to clarify since you either did not agree with my use of the word "come" or you did not understand my use of vernacular. FirestormNeos decided to continue the joke insisting that I claimed Lucas was not in Brawl. I unfortunately lost my cool, and responded with an insult, which was irresponsible. I am sorry for responding in that manner. You then took it one step further by questioning my intelligence and the purpose for which I offered the information, "Lucas originates from Mother 3," when I clearly provided it in an attempt to eliminate a misunderstanding. You then attempted to separate FirestormNeos from you by saying he was confused by a post you made, which, as I just explained, was incorrect. You then closed with a response to my irresponsible insult, saying, "Apparently reading comprehension is also, not your strong suit."

If I too am not understanding the purpose of your original and following quotes, please feel free to clear up the misunderstanding. Until then, please refrain from responding with insults when others fail to grasp the meaning of your words or say something you disagree with.
tl;dr

still doesn't look like you understand the point i was originally trying to make and at this rate you probably never will
i'm sorry for your loss.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
You obviously don't because you agreed with the guy who claimed he originated from Brawl.
LUCAS DEBUTED IN MOTHER 3 AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER. HE RETURNED IN SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER.

OH MY ******* GOD.

Jimmies Rustled= ALL OF THEM--

Thank You.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You did a ****ty job of making whatever point you were trying to.
Apparently this thread is the #1 source of information you already knew.

Real talk though. I considered explaining further, but his initial reaction was just way more entertaining than the legitimate conversation that would have followed.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
lol i WISH Jigglypuff, lucas, toon link, snake, R.O.B and game and watch can just leave
If they were to leave, would you rather see them replaced with new characters or left off to keep the roster size down to somewhere between Melee and Brawl? I personally think a huge cast would be unwieldy and would take away development time from the actual gameplay, which in my opinion is more important. Anyway, what do you think?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If they were to leave, would you rather see them replaced with new characters or left off to keep the roster size down to somewhere between Melee and Brawl? I personally think a huge cast would be unwieldy and would take away development time from the actual gameplay, which in my opinion is more important. Anyway, what do you think?
Balancing a roster of 35 characters and making a suitable gameplay style isn't impossible, especially not with such an experienced team as Namco Bandai. Lowering the roster is unacceptable, Smash Bros is by the end of the day all about the characters. Of course those characters aren't fun when they aren't balanced, but still, removing characters would be ridiculous to say the truth. I expect anywhere from 40 to 45 characters, no more, no less.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Wow, that's a lot of characters. I see what you mean about the experience of Namco Bandai though. If they were to have that many characters, do you think that a lot of really unique characters like Orlimar would show up (i mean in terms of gameplay)? It's possible since Megaman and the villager look really different than the rest of the cast.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Oh geez, how do none of you get this.

He's saying that Lucas's game not having an international release didn't stop him from being in Brawl. Why should it stop him now.

Was it really that hard.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
And people originally got onto me for suggesting that the 3DS version might hold back the Wii U's potential. And here it is, said by Sakurai himself.

It's going to be hard for me to be fully hyped for this game now. Sakurai, get smart... We all know the 3DS is a lot less powerful than the Wii U. We're not expecting both games to be carbon copies... Obviously the Wii U version should include more. If you're going down this road, I don't even want the 3DS version anymore.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Please don't get rid of my Jigglypuff... Please Sakurai ;_;.

Jigglypuff is completely unique and always has been. Plus, Jigglypuff has the new fairy typing! Use it in Smash4! Please ;_;.

Viewtiful-FX

Smash Apprentice

Spelt's statement did not bring into question Lucas' origin, but his likelihood of returning. Specifically, just because Mother 3 didn't come out outside of Japan doesn't mean he can't return, because it didn't stop him the first time around.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Everyone who is thinking Jigglypuff and Diddy Kong won't return, clearly aren't thinking.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I

He's saying that Lucas's game not having an international release didn't stop him from being in Brawl. Why should it stop him now.

Was it really that hard.
I think it could stop him the same way it stopped Roy in Brawl.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
It's not like Lucas was first planned for Smash64 but then Mother3 was delayed. Ontop of that, Lucas should have replaced Ness in Melee, but Ness stayed. In Brawl, we had both and I guess both will stay for Smash4.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

Was it really that hard.

Please don't get rid of my Jigglypuff... Please Sakurai ;_;.

Jigglypuff is completely unique and always has been. Plus, Jigglypuff has the new fairy typing! Use it in Smash4! Please ;_;.
Sakurai would be an idiot not putting in the original 12.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Wolf already shows signs of uniqueness. Every one of his moves save his u-smash, Neutral and down bs are the unique. Honestly I don't think they need to be changed much. Lucas only shares two frames with Ness.

Do you expect everything about Luigi to change? I expect him to get the Poltergust and maybe a few A move changes. That's it.

His Usmash and Neutral are unique too. His Usmash is a scissor kick, Fox and Falco do flip kicks.

People who suggest Wolf is in any way a clone of Fox outside of Reflector and Landmaster are being biased, don't know what a clone actually is, have never played as Wolf, or are trolls. Wolf is the least clone-like type of clone.

Clone: All moves are the same as another character and differentiate very little aesthetically and functionally. In Smash64 this was Luigi. In Melee this was Falco, Dr. Mario, Roy, Ganondorf, Pichu and Young Link. In Brawl this is NOBODY.

Semi-clone: The character has a lot of parallel moves to another character, but also several unique ones that set them apart. Those moves that do overlap have more pronounced differences than a clone. In Melee, this is no one. In Brawl, this is Ganondorf, Falco and Toon Link.

Pseudo-clone: Also called a "luigified" clone. The character fights completely differently from the other for the most part, but shares some specials or a couple of basic move, but very few. The characters thus feel very different when used. This would be Luigi in Melee, and Luigi, LUCAS and WOLF in Brawl.

The fact that people consider Lucas and Wolf clones just makes me die a little inside. Actually use them before claiming such things, please. This isn't directed to you Banjodorf.

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
In regards to Pokemon characters, Pikachu and Jigglypuff should be the constants, all the others can be replaceable, I believe Pokemon is the most frustrating franchise to discuss possible inclusions, you never know what will happen and no one can agree as to who are the worthy Pokemon who should join.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
In regards to Pokemon characters, Pikachu and Jigglypuff should be the constants, all the others can be replaceable, I believe Pokemon is the most frustrating franchise to discuss possible inclusions, you never know what will happen and no one can agree as to who are the worthy Pokemon who should join.
I really don't think jigglypuff has any chance of being cut. Heck probably even pokemon trainer won't. They just might make them individual characters or something.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

Was it really that hard.

Spelt's statement did not bring into question Lucas' origin, but his likelihood of returning. Specifically, just because Mother 3 didn't come out outside of Japan doesn't mean he can't return, because it didn't stop him the first time around.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would say Lucario would get cut in for Mewtwo. Simply because there are more possibilities for characters in Smash.
I would say this as the next 5 Pokemon reps.
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer
-Mewtwo
-N

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Tbh, I think transformation characters like pkmn trainer, zelda/sheik, and zss/samus are going to be impacted by the 3ds the most. I'll go even as far to say that because of the 3ds, I do not expect pkmn trainer to make a return in ssb4 at all. For other transformation characters like Sheik and ZSS, I'd expect they'd be made their own characters, as I am very doubtful Sakurai would outright remove such iconic characters. Even still, it's a possibility.

Transformation characters take a lot of processing power. All transformations would be pre-loaded at character select (that's how it worked in previous smash games) and readily usable in the background during the match to allow for smooth switching at any time. I doubt the 3ds has the capabilities necessary to keep that kind of data stored away and run smoothly at the same time- especially when you consider factors like multiplayer online, a myriad of items, stage hazards, and projectiles flying around and such.

These aspects are what I believe Sakurai is referring to about this topic.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
That argument worked before these news. Toon Link is without a doubt the first character on the chopping block, given that he's the character who's the most alike to another character.
TL and Link are quite different. CF and Ganondorf are not.
Mewtwo over Lucario is the only thing I see happening if "not everyone will return"
Definitely, now that Mewtwo has a new form/evolution coming out in the next generation.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Sakarai only said that the hardware on the 3DS had limitations that were non-existent on the Wii U, so the number of characters in the game will be harder to increase, since he wants to keep the same number of characters on both versions. I really have mixed feelings about this. Sakarai has no problem with adding in exclusive stages, but he can't add exclusive characters? Seems kind of dumb if you ask me.:urg:

Renji64

Smash Lord
He should put as many as he can on the wiiU having a portable smash is more than enough. This should be the best in the series give me my character options.

Stuart98

Smash Rookie
Alright, let's look at some stuff.

I apologize if this doesn't make sense, its late.
Bowser- Confirmed
Captain Falcon- Original 12 and protagonist of iconic racing game. Keeper.
Diddy Kong- DK's partner. Obviously going to return.
Donkey Kong- Confirmed
Dr. Mario- Probably and hopefully gone for good. I mean... almost the same except using pills instead of fireballs... :facepalm:
Falco- Semi-clone and role as supporting character would mean that he'd be gone if not for the fact that he's been in melee and brawl and that he was a top tier threat in both.
Fox- Confirmed.
Ganondorf- Although absent for years, he is the most recognizable antagonist in zelda. If he's being changed, he will be decloned only and maybe changed to look like he did in wind waker, as that is being re-released on wii u.
Ice Climbers- Likely going to be mostly the same on wii u (gulp), but there will probably be some alterations in 3ds. This guy is too infamous due to dat chain grab for him to be removed.
Ike- Likely going to be replaced witht eh more popular roy or chrom.
Jigglypuff- If not for the fact that it was the terrible joke on s64, it would have been removed a long time ago with its moves handed out to various other multi jump characters such as kirby. However, it's too well liked and is one of the original 12, so it'll be staying.
King Dedede- He'll be returning unless some crazy occurence happens. He's been in the most recent game and all.
Kirby- Confirmed.
Link- Confirmed.
Lucario- Although not a clone, it seems like there wasn't a good reason for him to be added in in the first place, and he's expendable when compared with a legendary like mew2.
Lucas- There's a large cult following around his (very good) game even if it never got released in the us. Besides, that didn't stop him from being in brawl either.
Luigi- Too iconic to kill, and very different from mario. Feels very goofy.
Mario- Confirmed.
Marth- Most popular FE character. Will probably return.
Meta Knight- Too infamous from dat brawl tier list to not return.
Mewtwo- The main antagonist of the first two pokemon movies. Likely to return in ssb4.
Mr. Game & Watch- Representative of Nintendo's early history. Going to return most likely.
Ness- Original 12, +his game is being re-released on wii-u. He'll be in.
Olimar- Icon of a franchise which is recieving a new entry soon.
Peach- Nothing needs to even be said here.
Pichu- Shoo, nobody likes you. There just isn't much of a way to balance it or render it not a clone.
Pikachu- Confirmed.
Pit- Confirmed
Pokémon Trainer- Rather useless character which doesn't really need to be there.
R.O.B.- Representative of Nintendo's early history. I mean, this is the guy that saved the entire North American video game industry!
Roy- Much wanted, and likely to return.
Samus- Confirmed.
Sheik- Probable, as Sheik has too much of a rep from Melee.
Snake- Hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console in years. While this wouldn't stop a Nintendo character as the game is about fighter's from Nintendo's history (look at Pit in Brawl or the Ice Climbers), for a 3rd party something recent should be going on. Not likely.
Sonic the Hedgehog- Why wouldn't Sega + Nintendo arrange for it again. Probably returning.
Toon Link- Would be a goner if not for the fact that his flagship game is re-releasing on Wii U soon. I'd be surprised if he didn't return, especially as the most recent game in the series is where the art direction for a character comes from.
Wario- No reason for him not to return.
Wolf- Feels like a much more worthy character to go up against Fox than Falco does, (it's better to have a protagonist and an antagonist imo, as opposed to a protagonist and a supporting character for the protagonist(andross wouldn't work well, but Wolf is the secondary antagonist in sf64)).
Yoshi- Member of the Original 12, and an icon of the Mario series. He'll be back...
Young Link- Never needed in the first place. Although some tricky majora's mask stuff could be attempted, it wouldn't work out too well I feel.
Zelda- She gave the series its name and will be back.
Zero Suit Samus- Feels unneeded, but character representation will be way off. We'd need ridley or something to fix the issue.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
While I appreciate the hard work you put into your post with the links and everything, your reasoning is flawed or biased for characters like Ike/Roy, Lucario, ZSS, the Melee characters you don't think are/want returning, and especially Pokémon Trainer. I also don't particularly agree with your logic/perspective on certain characters (Sheik's main reason for coming back being that she's a "Melee rep?" lol).

That said, I agree with the rest of your list/reasons. I think if Snake did come back, it'd be Naked Snake/Big Boss, what with him being the main focus of the series nowadays, and MGS3D being one of the more recent titles to be featured on Nintendo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

lucario was the star of a movie and a very popular pokemon as far as most are concerned (particularly sakurai) thats reason enough

the pokemon trainers are the main characters in the series they deserve to be represented and he's unique enough to stick around

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
We do have to think about how popular the characters are in Japan as well as the US. Jigglypuff is like the Pikachu here when we're talking about Pokemon. Likewise, despite the strange dislike of Lucario here, he/it was very popular in Japan, having been important as a character in some Pokemon movies. As much as I'd like Mewtwo to return with a new moveset, I doubt that they will be bringing him back. Maybe they'll add a newer Pokemon, but I don't think there's enough demand for Mewtwo's return. If he does, I hope they tweak his new moveset and Lucario's (both) to make sure they are radically different.

As for Roy....we love him. But I also don't think he will be back. I mean, he hasn't been present in a recent game and he'd have to be radically different from both Ike and Marth to stand a chance. As much as I'd like to see him back as well, I don't think the chances of it happening are very good.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The more I hear about this game, the more disappointed I get...

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
SSB4's roster is a mathematical error just waiting to happen.

I would say Lucario would get cut in for Mewtwo. Simply because there are more possibilities for characters in Smash.
I would say this as the next 5 Pokemon reps.
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer
-Mewtwo
-N
>N

wat.

TL and Link are quite different. CF and Ganondorf are not.

Definitely, now that Mewtwo has a new form/evolution coming out in the next generation.
Difference between CF and Ganondorf: :ganondorfmelee: sucks. :troll:

Alright, let's look at some stuff.

I apologize if this doesn't make sense, its late.
Bowser- Confirmed
Captain Falcon- Original 12 and protagonist of iconic racing game. Keeper.
Diddy Kong- DK's partner. Obviously going to return.
Donkey Kong- Confirmed
Dr. Mario- Probably and hopefully gone for good. I mean... almost the same except using pills instead of fireballs... :facepalm:
Falco- Semi-clone and role as supporting character would mean that he'd be gone if not for the fact that he's been in melee and brawl and that he was a top tier threat in both.
Fox- Confirmed.
Ganondorf- Although absent for years, he is the most recognizable antagonist in zelda. If he's being changed, he will be decloned only and maybe changed to look like he did in wind waker, as that is being re-released on wii u.
Ice Climbers- Likely going to be mostly the same on wii u (gulp), but there will probably be some alterations in 3ds. This guy is too infamous due to dat chain grab for him to be removed.
Ike- Likely going to be replaced witht eh more popular roy or chrom.
Jigglypuff- If not for the fact that it was the terrible joke on s64, it would have been removed a long time ago with its moves handed out to various other multi jump characters such as kirby. However, it's too well liked and is one of the original 12, so it'll be staying.
King Dedede- He'll be returning unless some crazy occurence happens. He's been in the most recent game and all.
Kirby- Confirmed.
Link- Confirmed.
Lucario- Although not a clone, it seems like there wasn't a good reason for him to be added in in the first place, and he's expendable when compared with a legendary like mew2.
Lucas- There's a large cult following around his (very good) game even if it never got released in the us. Besides, that didn't stop him from being in brawl either.
Luigi- Too iconic to kill, and very different from mario. Feels very goofy.
Mario- Confirmed.
Marth- Most popular FE character. Will probably return.
Meta Knight- Too infamous from dat brawl tier list to not return.
Mewtwo- The main antagonist of the first two pokemon movies. Likely to return in ssb4.
Mr. Game & Watch- Representative of Nintendo's early history. Going to return most likely.
Ness- Original 12, +his game is being re-released on wii-u. He'll be in.
Olimar- Icon of a franchise which is recieving a new entry soon.
Peach- Nothing needs to even be said here.
Pichu- Shoo, nobody likes you. There just isn't much of a way to balance it or render it not a clone.
Pikachu- Confirmed.
Pit- Confirmed
Pokémon Trainer- Rather useless character which doesn't really need to be there.
R.O.B.- Representative of Nintendo's early history. I mean, this is the guy that saved the entire North American video game industry!
Roy- Much wanted, and likely to return.
Samus- Confirmed.
Sheik- Probable, as Sheik has too much of a rep from Melee.
Snake- Hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console in years. While this wouldn't stop a Nintendo character as the game is about fighter's from Nintendo's history (look at Pit in Brawl or the Ice Climbers), for a 3rd party something recent should be going on. Not likely.
Sonic the Hedgehog- Why wouldn't Sega + Nintendo arrange for it again. Probably returning.
Toon Link- Would be a goner if not for the fact that his flagship game is re-releasing on Wii U soon. I'd be surprised if he didn't return, especially as the most recent game in the series is where the art direction for a character comes from.
Wario- No reason for him not to return.
Wolf- Feels like a much more worthy character to go up against Fox than Falco does, (it's better to have a protagonist and an antagonist imo, as opposed to a protagonist and a supporting character for the protagonist(andross wouldn't work well, but Wolf is the secondary antagonist in sf64)).
Yoshi- Member of the Original 12, and an icon of the Mario series. He'll be back...
Young Link- Never needed in the first place. Although some tricky majora's mask stuff could be attempted, it wouldn't work out too well I feel.
Zelda- She gave the series its name and will be back.
Zero Suit Samus- Feels unneeded, but character representation will be way off. We'd need ridley or something to fix the issue.

*beat*

Conis

Smash Rookie
Yikes...lots of misinterpretations of quotes and jumping to conclusions here. Then again, that always seems to happen when Sakurai says anything.

His statements about the 3DS's limitations were incredibly vague, but I highly doubt that the actual size of the roster would present any significant problems. 3DS cartridges can hold up to 8GB, nearly the amount of space on Brawl's dual-layered disc, and the vast majority of the disc space in Brawl was hogged by SSE levels and cutscenes. Cut all of that out, and 45-50 characters in the 3DS version isn't an issue at all space-wise. Concerns about balance and time constraints would weigh down the roster far more than the 3DS ever could in that sense.

That being said, the 3DS clearly does have limitations of some sort that are causing problems, but considering Sakurai follows up his comments about the 3DS's limitations by suggesting that it might be necessary to "reduce some characters to a certain degree", it's possible that the limitations may deal more with problems posed to specific characters than with the roster as a whole (he mentioned having issues with tag team characters like the Ice Climbers on the 3DS - the article was posted earlier in this topic).

I wouldn't say that that's for sure the issue - only a guess based on his unspecific wording - but it seems a reasonable possibility. In any case, I find it highly unlikely that the 3DS version is simply forcing the character count to be reduced in order to give the two versions of the game identical rosters, as many here seem to be assuming.

On the subject of "not everyone will return", it's first important to keep in mind that the question asked about "all characters from Melee and Brawl" and not "all characters from Brawl". I don't think anyone expects all of Melee's characters to return (Mewtwo is pretty much the only one I see most people thinking even has a chance to return). So obviously, "not everyone from both games will come back" is hardly a surprise.

Beyond that, while quite a few people seem to take this statement to mean that there will be a large number of cuts, what Sakurai has said indicates the opposite:

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologize in advance to those fans."
The first bolded part effectively shoots down the idea that a large amount of characters will be cut solely to make room for new ones, and the second actually seems to imply that no characters are explicitly planned to be cut at the moment, instead indicating that cuts will only happen if/when time constraints or other issues arise.

Remember that in Brawl, while five characters from Melee were cut, three of those five (Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario) were planned to be in the game at some point before being scrapped. Only two (Pichu and Young Link) were intentionally removed - factor in Young Link effectively being replaced by Toon Link, and it's down to one. One character being outright removed, and that character was heavily disliked, a clone and a "joke" character. None of Brawl's characters are anywhere near being in that kind of a situation, so it is very possible that none of them are being removed outright, and that the only cuts will be the victims of time constraints (or, in Toon Link's case, being replaced by another version of a younger Link, though I don't see that happening).

I guess a lot of this has probably already been said, but oh well.

D

Deleted member

Thank you for saying that.

I was just about to post my essay as to why I felt cuts would be minimal and why this does not affect the roster size, but you summarized it well enough.

Top Bottom