• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Everyone from Brawl/Melee will return... few 3rd party characters

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ Skip to 1:18 for the quote. There! Now we can finally stop thinking crazy things like ssb4 will have 45 characters... and we can cry because that would have been so much more awesome. Q-Q Oh well. We still love you Sakuria!
ok where did he say the roster be the same as brawl. all he said is the 3ds and wii version will have the same amount of characters

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
I remember when the next Smash Bros was something to look forward to, and character predictions was something fun to do to pass the time.
Now it's about how badly a handheld version will hinder the console release, generic gimmicks taking up slots and how many characters will be getting left out.

The devs simply need to stop talking about limitations for a little while, and give more insight on the game itself (e.g. stages and estimated roster size).
Only then will people stop worrying, and the "Hype Train" can start moving again.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't know about you man, but my Hype Train has about derailed over the tracks and killed 32 people.

I'm ****ing stoked for next game.

That's just me though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't know about you man, but my Hype Train has about derailed over the tracks and killed 32 people.

I'm ****ing stoked for next game.

That's just me though.
Yeah, just you and the rest of the entire forum.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
I honestly see more worrying than hype.

I'm trying to be optimistic about it. Propaganda doesn't help.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
They often that you look for with what you agree with.

So take that for what you will, but I'd say worrying and hype are about equal on the board right now. It's early days.

We shouldn't be entering into apocalypse mode with such little information out there.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble understanding the wording of your first sentence.
However, I wouldn't so much call this point "early days". I'd say this is more like the half-way point (Smash 4 was announced last year if I remember right, this year they released a trailer, next year comes the full release)

People simply need to keep the blindly tossed theories to a minimum and wait for the devs to give more clear information.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know... So far it's been only good news.

-Balance between Melee and Brawl
-Mega Man confirmed
-No tripping

Yeah, limitations suck, but I'm sure Sakurai will be smart and not fill the games' space up with movies when he could be developing more stages and characters as well as new mechanics.

Not all characters will return? Oh well, I'm sure he'll cut characters not easily missed. From Melee to Brawl he cut mostly clones (and an unfortunate Mewtwo who didn't make it due to time issues).
From Brawl to SSB4, I expect the same thing to happen, /''

So this is more or less who I see are in most danger of leaving:

RED status: (the clones)
-Toon Link (For being another version of Link)
-Wolf (For being more or less a 3rd Fox)
-Lucas (For being sort of like Ness, and also to keep things more international)

ORANGE status:
-Snake (Perhaps his reception wasn't good enough for a 2nd inclusion)
-Falco (For being a second Fox, but also because Sakurai could be focusing on more MAIN protagonists)
-Pokemon Trainer (Maybe too problematic to implement, too many characters to spend on one franchise)
-Zero Suit Samus (Could be left out due to time constraints like Mewtwo was)

YELLOW status:
-Lucario (Perhaps dropped in favor of a new-gen Pokemon)
-R.O.B. (Dropped to represent a character from a Nintendo videogame instead of hardware)

I know some of my reasons are stupid, but I wouldn't rule anything out. If it were up to me, they should all come back. :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Meaning that if you want to be negative you'll look for the negativity in others.

If you want to be positive, it'll be vice versa.

Sorry for confusing you there.

I'd still say even though we knew of the game's existence this is still the early days. Very few stages, characters, information revealed.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I see. Though I don't want to find bad news, there's just that "one guy" making pessimistic theories every time something potentially "good" is said/revealed.
Unless there's links involved, I'll just assume this is mostly just a cluster of wrong answers.

And yeah, I guess you could call it early, if you think of it that way.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was just thinking...

If this game used Brawl as grounds to start from there.. Wouldn't that make it like REALLY easy to port characters?
I don't think Brawl characters are in much danger of leaving (except Snake, Toon Link, and perhaps Pokemon Trainer).

edit: Then again, they've never simply copy+pasta'd characters from one game to the next, since they like to update their design, textures, etc.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I remember when the next Smash Bros was something to look forward to, and character predictions was something fun to do to pass the time.
Now it's about how badly a handheld version will hinder the console release, generic gimmicks taking up slots and how many characters will be getting left out.

The devs simply need to stop talking about limitations for a little while, and give more insight on the game itself (e.g. stages and estimated roster size).
Only then will people stop worrying, and the "Hype Train" can start moving again.

This, what devs in their right mind would talk about technical difficulties instead of things for us to look forward to given how big of a franchise SSB is? At any rate he is just telling all these things before hand because he knows there's nothing much to do if the higher ups want him to make both console and handheld games alike.

With all that done and said, I am hoping it won't be a huge flop and as disappointing. I love the addition of Villager and Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer seems like it can be a cool character, just like G&W and R.O.B were. But if there's one thing I am not liking so far is Fox design... I thought they were gonna fix his ugly face and make his snout longer again but they chose to stick with Brawl's style! Oh well, good thing I don't play him anymore that much. :p

Anyway, I'm still a bit hyped. :)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

It comes with the territory. Remember that they have only shown off three characters and Mega Man was VERY popular. Sakurai is clearly listening.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I wouldn't mind Sakurai cutting Wolf, Lucas, or Toon Link.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
ok where did he say the roster be the same as brawl. all he said is the 3ds and wii version will have the same amount of characters
Yeah I was being made of fail and heard Wii instead of Wii U. I need to go back and add an edit to that post.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
And to be fair, he also has to find a way to trim a bit of expectations. Sometimes I've seen people with roster lists of up to 90 or even 100 (outside the boards). With half of them being 3rd party characters.

I think he does well in doing this.... at first. Hopefully once he sets down some limitation problems on the table, he can start pumping out the good and more realistic news, with fans having already lowered their expectation bar quite a bit.

tl;dr for now, I justify it. But if this keeps up throughout the development process... then he won't be doing the game many favors either.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace

Also what about the people who will end up buying the game, who aren't on this forum... which is to say most of the consumers of this game? Do you think they aren't hyped? I think they are. This main site for smash boards was down for how many hours after the e3 reveal? Personally I think the moment they announced Megaman Nintendo won e3. All we needed was some bit of good news about the upcoming game smash game and boy, did they give it to us. Now I want a WiiU. Good thing I have until sometime next year to get one.

Groose

Smash Champion
Hey, I don't really mind if some Brawl/Melee characters don't return. After all... this is Smash 4, not Brawl/Melee. It'll be sad to see some favorites go, but if it's for the greater good of making a more diverse, balanced roster, I'm in.

Besides... we can always give the axe to Toon Link, Wolf, and Lucas. And then rework Ganondorf and even Falco so they are in no way clones. That's three more spots on the roster and two 'reborn' characters that are basically newcomers.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
The way I see it, any character who has been in 2 or more SSB games shouldn't get cut. So that leaves Brawl characters. Also characters with unique movesets should stay unless there's a pretty similar replacement or if they're a 3rd party character. Here's the ones I think could possibly get cut/replaced:

Toon Link: I could see him getting cut, but the problem with that is who would replace him as the 4th Zelda rep? It wouldn't make sense to cut Toon Link and add Toon Zelda, and a lot of other characters are just one time characters. I guess Impa could work. But then the Toon Link series isn't represented, and with Windwaker getting a remake it probably should have representation. So I'd say just to keep him and just change some of his moves to further differentiate him from Link.

Wolf: Honestly, I'd rather see Falco go instead but he's been around since Melee. That being said, I don't think Wolf should be cut since he's a villain, and they don't have very many as it is. He just needs to be further de-cloned.

Lucario: I think he will be cut, and Mewtwo's new form will take his place. I think Mewtwo is practically guaranteed, and if Lucario stayed then Pokemon would have 5 slots which would mean that Mario and Zelda would have to as well.

Ike: Unless Fire Emblem gets 3 characters this time, he will most likely be replaced by Chrom.

Lucas: Being from what is essentially a dead franchise and a clone, I don't see Lucas returning.

Snake: He's not nearly as popular as Sonic, and he didn't really fit into Brawl. With Megaman confirmed, Pac-Man likely, and Sonic likely to return, I'm not sure we'll see 4 3rd party characters.

Personally, I'd cut the last 4.

MatthewSwain9

Smash Cadet
I honestly think that Wolf AND Falco need to be cut unless they make fox and falco more different but you honestly dont need wolf. Snake is a goner i believe and with Sonic I think that he Sakuri will hopefully include more but I think that 4 is the max that we will see in the next game so its really just a
-_-

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Guys, there's no chance Falco gets cut if this game is supposed to be a middle ground between Brawl and Melee. Read this: http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771
If in fact SSB4 is going to consider competitive players more than Brawl, there is no way Sakurai and co. will cut one of the top competitive threats from Melee and a high tier from Brawl.

On another note, Jigglypuff has been in every Smash game ever. She will be in SSB4. Pokemon Trainer is more likely to get the boot than her.

This game will not be some flavor of the month type mess like CoD or something. Despite what it looks like Sakurai is actually looking at every Smash game to try and make a game that he thinks is good. Whether or not we like it is up to us, but he will not disegard past Smash games just to put a Mii in.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think Lucas and Wolf are in no danger.

(People who want Lucas cut have obviously never played Mother 3 or are heartless monsters)

Those characters simply need a few special tweaks, but I DK like that Sakurai's quote essentially says to me : No more clones. Hopefully they'll originality Ganondorf. I think Toon Link is a maybe though. He and Falco and Snake.

I don't know though. This kind of talk sounds oddly similar to pre Brawl, so everybody hold their horses.

MatthewSwain9

Smash Cadet
I think Lucas and Wolf are in no danger.

(People who want Lucas cut have obviously never played Mother 3 or are heartless monsters)

Those characters simply need a few special tweaks, but I DK like that Sakurai's quote essentially says to me : No more clones. Hopefully they'll originality Ganondorf. I think Toon Link is a maybe though. He and Falco and Snake.

I don't know though. This kind of talk sounds oddly similar to pre Brawl, so everybody hold their horses.
But Wolf Fox and Falco are sort of the same. Either 1 will get the boot or they will start to show signs of unique ness

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
But Wolf Fox and Falco are sort of the same. Either 1 will get the boot or they will start to show signs of unique ness
Wolf already shows signs of uniqueness. Every one of his moves save his u-smash, Neutral and down bs are the unique. Honestly I don't think they need to be changed much. Lucas only shares two frames with Ness.

Do you expect everything about Luigi to change? I expect him to get the Poltergust and maybe a few A move changes. That's it.

MatthewSwain9

Smash Cadet
Wolf already shows signs of uniqueness. Every one of his moves save his u-smash, Neutral and down bs are the unique. Honestly I don't think they need to be changed much. Lucas only shares two frames with Ness.

Do you expect everything about Luigi to change? I expect him to get the Poltergust and maybe a few A move changes. That's it.
Well I honestly think that we will definatly have some charcters that will be similar such as the Starfox characters, mario and luigi, swordsmen like ike and marth, or ness and lucas they may be similar or may be different but I sure hope Falco gets a few b changes

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Weren't you guys listening to me? There's no chance in France (or the US for that matter) that Falco gets cut. I have a hard time believing that Lucas is a safer bet than him. While i love Lucas, he comes from a game that never made it to an international release.

Also, if Falco gets cut then Wolf is getting cut too, no two ways about it. That would leave the Starfox series with 1 rep, which is pitiful considering that the series received a reboot with Starfox 64 for 3DS. Sakurai is not going to replace those two with Slippy or something. That would just be ridiculous.

Just because the roster will see some people getting cut doesn't automatically make clones the first target. Mewtwo is a great example of this.

Again, this game is not going to be nearly as casual as Brawl. Taking out competitive characters would go completely against that. Sakurai is more likely to take out crappy characters than replace competitive favorites.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Weren't you guys listening to me? There's no chance in France (or the US for that matter) that Falco gets cut. I have a hard time believing that Lucas is a safer bet than him. While i love Lucas, he comes from a game that never made it to an international release.
So... Lucas confirmed to be not in Brawl, then?

MatthewSwain9

Smash Cadet
I think the Landmaster has blinded some people. :rolleyes:

After seeing that Falco and Fox are really the same and wolf is the most different out of all of them. I doubt that Sakurai will bring back all 3.Honestly what if a different character from the starfox series like the toad or krystal. Thatd be neat

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hello, Earth. Welcome to the point I was trying to make.

evilsmashbrosfan

Smash Cadet
I remember when i posted my first prediction roster. I had cut like 60 percent of the cast and added some newcommers. Then, people through i was a troll.

To be honest, i think people should look forward Smash Bros for the sake of it`s gameplay and how fun it is to use the characters instead of expecting a massive roster with tons of disposable characters that will become irrelevant once the next eventual game of the series will come out.

evilsmashbrosfan

Smash Cadet
I remember when i posted my first prediction roster. I had cut like 60 percent of the cast and added some newcommers. Then, people through i was a troll.

To be honest, i think people should look forward Smash Bros for the sake of it`s gameplay and how fun it is to use the characters instead of expecting a massive roster with tons of disposable characters that will become irrelevant once the next eventual game of the series will come out.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My goodness.

You guys think Sakurai's gonna take a chainsaw to the roster?

Yeesh!

Top Bottom