• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noobs Guide for Becoming Non-Noob

Binx

Smash Master
How I Can Beat My Brother
By Binx

I see a hundred posts a week asking the same questions. In this guide you will learn the following
  • How to practice Short hop, fast fall, lag cancel and why you should bother
  • How to practice with purpose
  • Develop a stronger understanding of DI
  • Learn simple effective strategies that you can build on that will make you into a better player.

Why is “so and so” better than I am. The simple answer is that they play more and practice better. To become good fast you have to play a lot with a focus, you need to fine tune each individual tactic that you can employ.

Firstly there is a counter tactic to any tactic in the game, if you know what to expect and how to properly time and execute and space your response then you have successfully thwarted your opponent and are now ahead by percentage, positioning or perhaps a stock.

Example: Your rival plays Marth, he likes to spam forward smashes and you always seem to run into them, or you block and it hits your shield but he just keeps doing it until you are forced to run away. Fortunately there is hope – if you expect that forward smash you can wait a moment and when he misses you will have plenty of time to rush in and get a free grab or perhaps a free aerial. If Marth forward smashs your shield then you quickly wavedash out of your shield and enjoy a free grab with most characters.

This brings me to my first point why you should learn to short hop, fast fall, and lag cancel your attacks.

All you need to know about Shffl-ing

Lets start with the simplest of these Lag Canceling, here by referred to as L-cancel. The reasoning to incorporate this one should be apparent it means you are HELPLESS and VULNERABLE for half the time when you do miss with an aerial and it allows you to string together longer more effective combos when you do land a hit.

Short hopping is a little more convoluted in it’s uses but the general idea is that when you jump you have committed yourself to a set of actions, from a jump you can do an aerial, a double jump, a waveland, a “b” move, or air dodge. Also certain characters like Luigi, and Ice Climbers move slower in the air and spend more time in the air so you want to be on the ground where you are faster and have more options. Short hopping also allows another degree of control to where your aerial attacks are going to be place, if you can’t short hop consistently your combos will suffer for it.

Fast falling allows you to spend less time in the air, continue combos that would otherwise be impossible and help you reach the ground quickly where you have more available options.

A good way to practice shuffling is to do my 40 minute training session with or without a friend. Basically spend 10 minutes practicing in vs mode (works best if done all at once so I would just have it set to a 10 minute time limit, what you do here is practice short hopping, wavedashing, fast falling, L canceling, after every action act as fast as your character is capable of acting, so basically you want to shffl all 4 aerials as fast as you can, mix them up too, don’t get in the habit of doing one attack pattern, you are just showing off your technical skill. Maybe create a mock battle in your head where you are tech chasing or something. This will make you faster and more fluid. The next 10 minutes are roughly the same however it will be in lightning melee, this will help you get used to different timings for l canceling, it will get you in the habit of realizing that every hit in smash is a new hit and you can’t rely of muscle memory alone (although it is important). Then spend 10 minutes on slow melee, this will get you to feel out how laggy your attacks really are, against a person this will help a lot with both of your mindgames as well as revealing open spots more often and allowing you to increase your level of awareness of what is and is not punishable, and what moves of yours are and are not punishable creating more solid play in all involved. Then wait about and hour and play normal mode for another 10 minutes and you should notice an improvement in the consistency in which you perform advanced techniques.

Another effective technique for you to learn is jump canceling, you can jump cancel up smashes and grabs. Lets start with grabs, to jump cancel a grab you jump (I use the control stick for jump canceling grabs but thats only because my timing with the jump botton is off, I suggest learning to use X or Y) wait a split second and grab if you did it right you should do a standing grab, a good character to see the difference is is Pikachu, if you miss the jump cancel grab with Chu while running he will do a laggy roll.

Jump canceling up smashes is sometimes the only way to hit with an upsmash out of a tech chase or when you expect a spot dodge. Its performed the same way except you want to hit up on the c stick instead of Z. Also it can be done with up on the movement stick and the A button giving you the option to charge it.

A good example of when to charge this is you are fox your opponent is Marth he is at 100% and knows he will die if you grab him, instead of doing the grab you press up and a you charge it and he spot dodges the expected grab, you let go of a at the end of his dodge animation and then he dies gruesomely.

Practicing with a purpose

This can not be said better than where I first read it from Wobble’s

Practicing with Purpose
By wobblesthephoenix

This idea was taken directly from an article posted on Shoryuken, but since not everybody is going to read it there, I figured I'd post a segment of it I found important, interesting, and incredibly helpful.

I've also been inspired by Forward to share what (little) I know about being good at this game, so here goes.

The article is by a guy named Alex Wolfe. If you want to read the whole thing, go here: http://shoryuken.com/?p=115

This is the segment in question.

Practice with a Purpose

Don’t just play the game for hours on end with no game plan, this won’t get you anywhere. When Tito Ortiz, or Oscar De La Hoya are preparing, they don’t just train mindlessly, they have a game plan and so should you. It’s what makes champions. Find out what your weaknesses are, such as match you hate, set ups you always fall for, cheap tactics you can’t reverse, moves you can’t figure out how to counter…. and so on. Then practice with the purpose of improving the areas of weakness. If you do this right, you should see improvement immediately. Most people don’t realize it, but often time we lose because players take advantage of the same weakness over and over again, it’s your job to learn a counter and stop getting your *** kicked. There is an old saying “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

So this is pretty self-explanatory, but I'm going to add a little bit of my own spin as well.

One thing I've been doing lately that has given me immediate benefits has been "playing for the counter." Without telling your opponent, watch for ONE move or setup that tends to defeat you. Come up with a solution to it that seems plausible, and practice it in friendlies. If it doesn't work after a lot of practice, try a different solution. It's important your training partner doesn't know what the move is, or else you won't get actual practice punishing it in a real match.

I've got some examples below.

Example 1: When I got hit by Sheik's forward-tilt, I would always be combo'd. So, when I finally decided to stop complaining, I decided to try and predict Sheik's f-tilt and crouch cancel only that move.

With a bit of practice I was able to see when my opponent liked to f-tilt and I was able to punish it with a much higher success rate. A fun fact about this story is that I play IC's, so I would crouch cancel into a grab. One crouch canceled forward-tilt became a massive chaingrab worth 50 percent to a stock. I love my character.

Example 2: I was playing against a friend's Marth and was sick of him SHFFL'ing forward-airs, finding it incredibly difficult to punish. I couldn't interrupt it, I couldn't trade, CC it, and it had a lot of range so I had trouble shieldgrabbing. So I tried waiting for the f-air, and practiced dash-dancing just out of range, then back into reach so I could grab them during the landing lag.

After practicing like this, I very quickly became good at doing those two things. With intelligent practice, you can rapidly become proficient in a wide variety of areas.

The lesson: every time you sit down to play, you can improve by focusing on a SINGLE aspect of your game and looking for ways to improve it. Don't play like a drone, practice with purpose.

- Another helpful practice tip

If you have the means, record your matches and watch them, it will help you immediately see some of your habits as well as analyze your timing spacing and combos you perform, perhaps you end a certain combo the same way often but there is a way it could be extended once your opponent is DIing that direction towards the end of it. Or perhaps where is a spot you normally would do a strong hit but if you stop 2 hits before that you can see a good spot to grab and start the whole thing over.

Learning to DI

Read Doraki’s Guide on DI if you really want some in depth information, if you don’t have the patience here is the shortened version.

DI (directional influence) is an amazingly useful tool to thwart combo’s live to outrageous percentages and to create huge swings in damage via crouch canceling.

Certain strings of hits that would be otherwise inescapable can sometimes become easily escapable given correct DI, a good example is Marth vs Peach if Peach gets grabbed by Marth and Marth forward throws he can run and grab her before she is capable of doing any actions and continue to forward throw all the way to a ledge and forward smash her with a perfect tipped swing of his retardedly powerful sword, with proper DI Marth can only grab peach this way at relatively low percents and once she is off the edge she will go to far for him to forward smash her thus receiving much less damage and being in a better overall position.

So a quick DI lesson, at high damages being knocked left or right you want to hold up and towards your opponent to be knocked higher and less far thus increasing your chances of making it back to the stage.

At any damages DIing away can often get you out of weaker comboing hits and into a safer position.

At low percentages you can crouch cancel attacks by holding down before being hit which greatly reduce and sometimes almost negate stun and knockback, if your character has a fast downsmash you can usually use it after this to start a combo. Example: Samus is at 0% and is on the ground Fox jumps at you with a neutral air, Samus has 2 options, she can shield and then upb out of shield for a few percent or she cant hold down and reduce the knockback to pretty much nothing then hit down on the c-stick sending fox flying and potentially comboing into a bair, the times for doing these changes based on Fox’s damage, if fox was at 150% then you would basically be trading 8%-12% for a kill.

Understanding DI can also help you to abuse “proper” DI in your opponent

G-Regulate

“people make the mistake of assuming that everyone will DI "correctly" all of the time, but this is never true. in reality, even the top level pros will DI well, but some combos can be performed no matter which way you DI, and its up to the person doing the combo to react quick enough to take advantage. theres no such thing as "perfect DI", its merely dependent on what your opponent attacks with.

for example, if i dair a fox at mid %, they will pop up right by my head or so, open for a free hit. now, in most cases i would just knee. if the fox is expecting my knee, he will hold up, DIing so the knee wont kill him or knock him far off the stage. if your opponent gets in that groove of DIing all of your knees up, then insert nairs and uairs where those knees were. he will merely be caught in the combo, popping around until you have an easy knee with more % and better stage position. i often get frustrated with people who get caught in one of my nasty combos, and will then say "man, I di'ed perfectly for you". while that may be partially true, they think that they are reacting incorrectly to what I am doing, but really, im just reacting correctly to what THEY are doing.”

Simple Effective Strategies

- Camping

What it is – Any act of extended non aggression
Camping’s purpose – To create openings in your opponents defenses

There are many ways of camping, the most common of which is to stand on one place and spam projectiles until your opponent comes to you. Another common form of camping is dash dancing and appearing threatening and punishing risky attacks with a grab. Yet another way to camp is to use aerial attacks in a way that cant be punished to provoke action on your opponents part. Then there is platform camping where you jump from platform to platform to avoid your opponent, there are edge stalls, just plain running away can be camping.

Just try and keep in mind what you are trying to accomplish, Fox’s lasers are brutal and the reason for this is not the 2-3% damage it does but rather the pressure the opponent feels to come to you and get a nair in the mouth. Just remember to watch carefully for your opponent to react to your camping or you could be caught off guard.

- Chain Grabs

Chain grabs and even just grabs in general are a great way to help control the match, they often lead to better stage position, free damage, and sometimes even kills. They also condition your opponent to use their shield less which allows you the freedom to mix up even more attacks and confuse them further.

- Think like your opponent

If you were your opponent and you were being comboed where would you tech? where would you think you were safe? when would you attack? With enough practice and observation you will be able to "just know" where your opponent will go, what they can't escape exactly when where and what moves they want to hit you with and you will decimate them.

I think this should help most people who ask how to beat their friends and brothers and fervently hope this will cut down a fraction of the spam melee discussion gets.

PeeP

Smash Apprentice
nice thread more styles of play maybe (other than camping and hopefully we'll have less annoying threads.

Binx

Smash Master
Let me know if you guys have success with this guide, also if you think something should be added lemme know as well. K Thx

Binx

Smash Master
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys

just added this

- Another helpful practice tip

If you have the means, record your matches and watch them, it will help you immediately see some of your habits as well as analyze your timing spacing and combos you perform, perhaps you end a certain combo the same way often but there is a way it could be extended once your opponent is DIing that direction towards the end of it. Or perhaps where is a spot you normally would do a strong hit but if you stop 2 hits before that you can see a good spot to grab and start the whole thing over.

Binx

Smash Master
For everyone stop fighting level 9 computer's in fact never over 5, and here is why. Level 6-9 computers DI all attacks upward, so basically you can do some combo's on them that will never work on a human player, also it is insanely difficult to grab a computer without spot dodge their grab first and you should really not have to spend any effort avoiding attacks while practicing simple combos and simple tech skill, I find Bowser and DK pretty good practice as level 1 computers due to the fact that they walk very slowly and this will allow you to practice shffls without having them randomly jab you as often, also it may be beneficial at an early stage to practice comboing bigger targets and move down to smaller ones.

I rarely do things that way because I am the kind of person who likes to take the hardest things on early but this has hurt me in other games so I am not sure about smash.

So basically level 9's make it difficult to do something that should be incredibly easy and fluid, it makes your practice choppy and will get you into a mindset that you cant do certain actions that are pretty safe against people (like shielding or trying to grab them when they run at you) and that you can do actions that are relatively unsafe (like jumping in double jumping and doing an aerial).

The negative part about training with a computer, even a level 1 is that after enough training you start to think of your opponents as dummies and will blindly rush them to perform your awesome combo, also when your combo's are interupted at unexpected times you may not be able to get into a good smooth groove. Most people may not notice but you really are thrown off quite a bit after being hit, that stationary moment after teching can seen like an eternity in a fast paced game, especially after some good pressuring by your opponent. Just remember that "Patience is a virtue" and that it is VERY apparent in smash.

Practice with people over computers as often as you can, only practice with computers if you have no other options at all, even complicated tech skill is better practice against people, just dont spend the whole match doing the same things or your opponents might be upset that you aren't trying to beat them.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
It's funny you posted this, Binx, because I'm actually trying a lot harder in my game to fix my mistakes. I'm constantly asking my friend who's tons better than me what am I doing wrong. Asking your opponent is one of the best ways to improve as well.

For example he would always tell me "roll behind me now" a split second before I roll behind him after he spawns. Another example is the way I tech. He would tell me the direction I'm going to tech before I even did it.

I've also been trying out new tactics on my own not to get TOO repetitive. Also just watching your mistakes in a game, trying to really observe them will work. I don't have the means to record my matches so I try to play and observe.

Another example was I would look for a certain setup I allowed my opponent to take a stock from me because of a stupid tech or roll. After I realize it I try my hardest not to act the same way.

Hope, this helped some others. By no means am I a "pro" or whatnot but these are all common sense tips people should learn.

Binx

Smash Master
It's funny you posted this, Binx, because I'm actually trying a lot harder in my game to fix my mistakes. I'm constantly asking my friend who's tons better than me what am I doing wrong. Asking your opponent is one of the best ways to improve as well.

For example he would always tell me "roll behind me now" a split second before I roll behind him after he spawns. Another example is the way I tech. He would tell me the direction I'm going to tech before I even did it.

I've also been trying out new tactics on my own not to get TOO repetitive. Also just watching your mistakes in a game, trying to really observe them will work. I don't have the means to record my matches so I try to play and observe.

Another example was I would look for a certain setup I allowed my opponent to take a stock from me because of a stupid tech or roll. After I realize it I try my hardest not to act the same way.

Hope, this helped some others. By no means am I a "pro" or whatnot but these are all common sense tips people should learn.
I am not a pro either, but knowing how to do something and doing something are different things, and yes having someone better than you teach you is great but very few people have access to this. This guide is meant more for people who are new to advance techs and want to learn how to play a little better, its a precursor to a larger world of smash knowledge that can only truly be gained through experience.

I will tell you right now that no ammount of reading will teach you to be good at smash, only practice can do that, what reading can do for you is inspire you, get you off to a good start, and give you advice in your game, playing will lead to the greatest understanding and practicing will lead to becoming fluent and knowing how to play intelligently.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120425

Aren't there already guides/threads on this matter?
Yes, but mine is better cause I say so. But seriously I really don't like the one you linked, if you get hit after rolling then you should be able to figure out not to roll, I dont want someone telling me to roll less because until I am being punished for it its the correct move.

I think stop doing tactics that are expected is better advice than stop rolling, or vary your approach is better advice than run in wavedash back over and over until they attack (because if you are pulse dashing like that over and over then all they have to do is a correctly timed dash grab or dash attack, everything has a counter, even seemingly pure evasive strategies are easily snuffed if you know what your opponent will do.

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
Just did the SHFFL bit

I can now SHFFL Marth's Fair almost perfectly, which before was my main flaw (Aside from my inability to wavedash)

Thanks

I didn't know that Computers DI'd upwards, I'll remember that.

Unfortunately my only opponent is my brother who is slightly below me in ability =/

Anyway, great guide, I'll try to mix up the SHFFLs now like you said.

Binx

Smash Master
Just did the SHFFL bit

I can now SHFFL Marth's Fair almost perfectly, which before was my main flaw (Aside from my inability to wavedash)

Thanks

I didn't know that Computers DI'd upwards, I'll remember that.

Unfortunately my only opponent is my brother who is slightly below me in ability =/

Anyway, great guide, I'll try to mix up the SHFFLs now like you said.
Not all computers DI strait upwards, just the level 6-9 ones, but generally computer DI is pretty predictable anyways.

QFT, me neither. theres plenty of guides already on everything
It's nice to have information phrased in new ways and in one place.

Sliq

Smash Master
This is sort of pointless, not because of the content, but because noobs don't check stickies or read guides. They just post **** like, "hay gaiz how do i get gud fast lol!" and act surprised when they get flamed.

Binx

Smash Master
This is sort of pointless, not because of the content, but because noobs don't check stickies or read guides. They just post **** like, "hay gaiz how do i get gud fast lol!" and act surprised when they get flamed.
Daisy is top tier cause she has bewbiez.

Anyways yeah noobs dont read guides but sometimes beginners are intelligent people.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
It's not pointless. It will influence intelligent beginners with a desire to become better at this game. The people you speak of.. well nothing can save 'em :laugh:.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think practicing advanced tactics is pointless before you have a solid grasp of the basic, but much more important concepts like:

Recovery, tech chasing, rolling/side stepping, grab combos, don't get hit, dash/jump canceling smashes, etc etc, the list goes on.

Pushing buttons doesn't make you a good player, your brain does. You can have great tech skill but if you don't really understand the simple mechanics of the game you will never be better than bad.

Binx

Smash Master
I think practicing advanced tactics is pointless before you have a solid grasp of the basic, but much more important concepts like:

Recovery, tech chasing, rolling/side stepping, grab combos, don't get hit, dash/jump canceling smashes, etc etc, the list goes on.

Pushing buttons doesn't make you a good player, your brain does. You can have great tech skill but if you don't really understand the simple mechanics of the game you will never be better than bad.
I agree with you, but I believe that strategy like that can be learned anyways by just playing with better players.

learning to reduce your lag , give yourself more movement options and things like that are the real basics because they are the easy part, also two beginnners who are technically sound will be able to get around techniques that non technically sound beginners couldn't such as shielding a fsmash and wavedashing to punish it.

Most people who come on SWF looking for information have propably been playing over a year and they probably know how to recover, they might not sweetspot accurately yet but I bet they know the basic mechanics. When I first started I thought spot dodging was pointless because you couldnt do it fast enough to react to an attack, I hadn't even grasped the concept of predicting my opponents when I started, I think thats where people really need some help.

Also I dont see tech chasing as basics, I probably should edit in jump canceled grabs though because its another way of speeding up most characters. As far as gaming concepts I think watching various level of skilled matches and playing in tournaments will give people a good idea of what can and can't be done, the subject is too broad for a guide that could incorporate something like that.

T Parker

Smash Cadet
It's not pointless. It will influence intelligent beginners with a desire to become better at this game. The people you speak of.. well nothing can save 'em
i think i fall under the intelligent beginners category.
who know's though?

and thank you b1nx, my lvl 5 computer game has improved greatly, l0zor0sz

Binx

Smash Master
i just realized that battlefield is more of a playground for my fox, and could do mindgames pretty well,

and its kinda embaressing to be "improving" if im a "Smash Apprentice"
Umm... whats that have to do with stuff?

If you are willing to read and make an effort to understand why you are losing and why you are winning then you are not a noob you are an intelligent beginner.

Sliq

Smash Master
just read your article, and i have to admit that crouch-cancelling sheik's f-tilt with the ice climbers is extremely clever. the article was really good and helpful, thx
CC pretty much wrecks all of Sheiks tilt game with almost any character, BTW.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
this sheds a bit of clarity on some things.
thank you blinx.
i seem to ALWAYS react on impulse with my attack patterns,
i need more thought and purpose...

(heh blinx 2, by the by, was a pretty fun game...)

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Bah-Weep-Grahnah-Weep-Ninni-Bong.

This is certainly a good guide for even some less noobish players. Being reminded of proper tactics and mindsets that are effective is always good. I think though that maybe there should be something on spacing, what with its extreme importance; but I understand since this is a noob guide if you think its a bit early for that.

If you went over spacing and I did not notice it, I apologize and all that stuff.

Top Bottom