• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No wired input.. How will we have large scale tournaments?

PATRiCK PRiDE

Smash Rookie
With all the bluetooth interference... Will it even be possible?

The Wii U Pro Controller uses a usb wire just for charging... not for transferring data..

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't think wirless interferance will be that big of a problem, I don't know how the Wii-U pro controller works but if its anything like a Wiimote then it won't be able to intefer with other systems it is not connected to and to connect to another system you need to press a button on the controler and system for them to connect. Butlike I said I actually don't know much of thee Wii-U pro controller so if it doesn't work like that I'm sure there will be something else preventing it from happening. :/

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Where would the bluetooth interference come from?

So long as you aren't firing microwaves in the immediate proximity of the Wii U, the controllers will be fine. Unfortunately this means that we can't cook hot pockets on top of the console.

Maybe this video will clear things up for ya,

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Uh, I could definitely see how 700+ wireless controllers in a room could be a problem. There's a reason why wireless controllers are banned in large scale events, the controller setup and syncing/resyncing is much more of an issue than interference is.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Uh, I could definitely see how 700+ wireless controllers in a room could be a problem. There's a reason why wireless controllers are banned in large scale events, the controller setup and syncing/resyncing is much more of an issue than interference is.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Well, if it's only being done for the Wii U and Smash 4, I don't think it'd be an issue, especially if the tournament just has a standard set for all combatants to use instead of allowing people to bring their own.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
Problem is, that your controller is still connected to the system after the set. And if you pack it in your backpack it can accidentially push some buttons. Or you could think it is connected to this system but in fact is still connected to your last system.

There have been some problems with wiimotes before (classic controllers). And this was on 70ppl tourneys with maybe 3-5 CCs

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Problem is, that your controller is still connected to the system after the set. And if you pack it in your backpack it can accidentially push some buttons. Or you could think it is connected to this system but in fact is still connected to your last system.

There have been some problems with wiimotes before (classic controllers). And this was on 70ppl tourneys with maybe 3-5 CCs
Thats why you take out the batteries. ;)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
That's what I was thinking...I remember seeing a tournament that said if you bring a wireless controller, after each match you need to take the batteries out to avoid interference.

But then again, at pools a lot of people are going to be playing at once. I don't know how many at once, though.

Kel

Smash Master
The current ruling in all tournaments is that wii mote players must take out their batteries for threat of DQ.

This is very manageable when only YbM, Razer, and Logic were the ones using wiimotes at a 300-man tournament. This will be impossible to manage when everyone has a wireless controller.

Another issue that has not been mentioned is that wii-motes will randomly resync themselves and cause problems for other wii-motes. This phenomena has been experienced by multiple people where they will be playing a match and their joystick will reset to neutral and their controls become screwy. This will be the biggest issue in tournaments as close matches could be decided by this kind of thing.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Unfortunately, that's going to be an issue with the Pro controller. It has a plate with a screw for where the batteries go. There's no way you'll get everyeone to stop and take that little screw out every time they move from a system.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Possibly. But still if you have several matches going on at once and two systems are within range where people are trying to sync their controllers will be a nightmare.

Kel

Smash Master
The current ruling in all tournaments is that wii mote players must take out their batteries for threat of DQ.

This is very manageable when only YbM, Razer, and Logic were the ones using wiimotes at a 300-man tournament. This will be impossible to manage when everyone has a wireless controller.

Another issue that has not been mentioned is that wii-motes will randomly resync themselves and cause problems for other wii-motes. This phenomena has been experienced by multiple people where they will be playing a match and their joystick will reset to neutral and their controls become screwy. This will be the biggest issue in tournaments as close matches could be decided by this kind of thing.

Kel

Smash Master

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
From personal use of my wii u controller pro, I've noticed that de-syncing the controller is super quick and easy and won't re-sync with the system if you go through the wii u menu process of de-syncing. The main problem is connecting, at a large scale it's going to be really difficult if everyone is trying to sync at once. It will be interesting, to say the least.

PATRiCK PRiDE

Smash Rookie
Tournaments will probably have to be in separate rooms or just way fewer set ups and better ran... Or online pools mandatory and maybe invite only tournaments?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
New idea to patent: little lead bags that block signal from wireless controllers. Money maker right there.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I like the idea of invite only, but seeing as how I'm not all that great, I would probably never be invited =(

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Again; why not just have the tournament sponsors have a standard set of controllers per system for competitors to use instead of allowing them to use their own?
That would cut down on the problems by a significant margin, I would think, and I doubt it would really cause that much of an issue for them to use a pro controller other than their own....

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Again; why not just have the tournament sponsors have a standard set of controllers per system for competitors to use instead of allowing them to use their own?
That would cut down on the problems by a significant margin, I would think, and I doubt it would really cause that much of an issue for them to use a pro controller other than their own....
You then have to look at tethering each and every controller. Do you realize how quickly controllers would disappear? The only way to really ensure people don't make off with the controllers, is to make them give you their driver's license and you will return it when you get the controller back. But then you would have to have the overhead to keep up with all the DLs

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Also we'd be required to bring hand sanitizer and Clorox wet wipes as the entree fee. Greasy, sweaty, shared controllers? Gross.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Also we'd be required to bring hand sanitizer and Clorox wet wipes as the entree fee. Greasy, sweaty, shared controllers? Gross.
Doesn't matter, by the end of the day, everyone's controller still smells like ball sweat.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
You then have to look at tethering each and every controller. Do you realize how quickly controllers would disappear? The only way to really ensure people don't make off with the controllers, is to make them give you their driver's license and you will return it when you get the controller back. But then you would have to have the overhead to keep up with all the DLs
Wow.....is there really that much of a guarantee of thieves in the EVO Smash scene?
Can't they, you know, put the controllers under lock and key between rounds?
Also, the DL idea doesn't sound too bad, but only as a last resort.
My point is, with the proper amount of planning beforehand, what I mentioned would work....

BarlessPianist

Smash Rookie
Something else to think about; though it may or may not become a popular fad among smashers, there IS a GameCube controller adapter for the Wii U. Because it connects to the controller itself(?) it may or may not actually make a difference, but it may or may not be a factor in all of this.

Edit: Oh God my new signature is obnoxious as ****. Changing that ASAP.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can't the WiiU Pro Controller plug into a USB port on the WiiU (and work that way)=???
I think it's only for charging the controller. For the time being, ALL controllers are wireless with the USB for charging. There is currently no driver installed on the WiiU to support USB controllers, but this really needs to be addressed - I'd be willing to say it's a much higher priority than removing region locks. I think it's something that can easily be fixed via an update to the console itself.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think it's only for charging the controller. For the time being, ALL controllers are wireless with the USB for charging. There is currently no driver installed on the WiiU to support USB controllers, but this really needs to be addressed - I'd be willing to say it's a much higher priority than removing region locks. I think it's something that can easily be fixed via an update to the console itself.
Well regardless, I imagine we in the smash community will solve this issue if someone else doesn't do it first. I'm also somewhat certain Sakurai will address that problem... somehow.

Also, there are USB adapters that make the GameCube controller work, so there is always that (assuming they actually work).

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Wow.....is there really that much of a guarantee of thieves in the EVO Smash scene?
Can't they, you know, put the controllers under lock and key between rounds?
Also, the DL idea doesn't sound too bad, but only as a last resort.
My point is, with the proper amount of planning beforehand, what I mentioned would work....
When a controller cost $50 and you only pay $10 to enter a tournament, yeah they will go missing. I think this is doable for smaller tournaments, but when you have 400+ players in a room and 50 something matches going on at once, you have to have a lot of team members being on the lookout.

Well regardless, I imagine we in the smash community will solve this issue if someone else doesn't do it first. I'm also somewhat certain Sakurai will address that problem... somehow.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Stuff not just only gets stolen, but taken accidentally. At a tournament I went to about 18 months ago, I knew this one guy who accidentally took like 3 controllers that belonged to the TO.

But yeah, I just wish Nintendo would make a newer version of the GameCube controller, possibly with a GameCube cord and a WiiU cord. That would be pretty cool.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
When a controller cost $50 and you only pay $10 to enter a tournament, yeah they will go missing. I think this is doable for smaller tournaments, but when you have 400+ players in a room and 50 something matches going on at once, you have to have a lot of team members being on the lookout.
That's......kinda sad, tbh.
I'd have thought that we, as a community, would be able to police ourselves by doing our part to keep an eye out for such things.
Especially if we're nearby the equipment....

Top Bottom