• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No wired input.. How will we have large scale tournaments?

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Another option might be to mandate controllers to consoles. It would suck because people can't use their own controllers, and TO's would need more resources, but it would solve sync issues and whatnot.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
They'd be better releasing a software update. I've already bought 2 Pros and I don't want to have to buy a wired.
I wonder whether Nintendo actually can do that, despite being pretty sure they won't. The thing has only one port, namely power port, and that's it. You cannot put data through the power port. Well, you can, but you have to think about this possibility before assembling the controller.

I don't actually think Nintendo will create any widely available wired solution. What I find probable is somebody finding a way to replace BT module of Pro Controllers and Wii U with something using wires. That said, this doesn't sound like something you would like to do to your devices. So, I assume, organizers of large Smash-oriented tournaments will mod their Wii Us and controllers (this would by the way make them unusable with normal consoles - profit?), and everybody else will stick with wireless.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Another option might be to mandate controllers to consoles. It would suck because people can't use their own controllers, and TO's would need more resources, but it would solve sync issues and whatnot.
If they could tether the controllers to the consoles (like in Gamestop or other stores), then that could work. But the cost of doing that would be ridiculously high. Maybe superglue-ing the charging cords of the Pro controllers to the controllers and then superglue-ing the cords to the consoles... lol.

I wonder whether Nintendo actually can do that, despite being pretty sure they won't. The thing has only one port, namely power port, and that's it. You cannot put data through the power port. Well, you can, but you have to think about this possibility before assembling the controller.

I don't actually think Nintendo will create any widely available wired solution. What I find probable is somebody finding a way to replace BT module of Pro Controllers and Wii U with something using wires. That said, this doesn't sound like something you would like to do to your devices. So, I assume, organizers of large Smash-oriented tournaments will mod their Wii Us and controllers (this would by the way make them unusable with normal consoles - profit?), and everybody else will stick with wireless.
Well, I don't know how they actually programmed the port on the controllers. MORE than likely it is just a charging port and nothing else. But I don't see TOs modding their Wii Us and controllers. That wouldn't necessarily prevent theft (as people would try and change it back) and it definitely wouldn't prevent damage.

Can bluetooth differentiate distances? Maybe a software mod that sets the "sync" process to where the controllers have to be within a couple of feet. Not sure if its even possible. But that could solve the issue of controllers syncing with other systems if they are more than 5 feet apart or something like that. IDK.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
If they could tether the controllers to the consoles (like in Gamestop or other stores), then that could work. But the cost of doing that would be ridiculously high. Maybe superglue-ing the charging cords of the Pro controllers to the controllers and then superglue-ing the cords to the consoles... lol.
It can be done. You could also more simply crazy glue the power cables into the controllers and put some sort of security lock on the other end attaching it to the console. Unfortunately without some sort of controller boot software or wired controllers, TO's may need to resort to such things.

Or maybe something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamecube-Co...rand-New-/271303005376?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Of course you may need a software mod in order to use them, but that would be the best solution.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It can be done. You could also more simply crazy glue the power cables into the controllers and put some sort of security lock on the other end attaching it to the console. Unfortunately without some sort of controller boot software or wired controllers, TO's may need to resort to such things.

Or maybe something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamecube-Co...rand-New-/271303005376?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Of course you may need a software mod in order to use them, but that would be the best solution.
I think the biggest question for TOs is if it's worth the additional hassle.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
With all the bluetooth interference... Will it even be possible?

Perhaps hosts can invest in locations that have cubicles?

Can't see the harm in being sectioned off, even if only for a temporary period.

Personally, I'd like to test the integrity of the game's network systems. Perhaps with the downside of one expanding technology, there will be others to compensate for it.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Jaysus people, are wireless controllers really that bad? :troll:

This seems sarcastic, but this is what I've actually been thinking...
Do we have any data on how many controller connections would be required to cause interference?

I don't think it would be unnecessary to bookkeep a 5-minute 'controller pairing' time before each match, and if people turn the controllers off after each match, we could cut the interference.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the interference, but we probably won't know until we try...

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I don't know how Bluetooth technology works, so I can't validate this, but here ya go:
howstuffworks.com said:
Bluetooth can connect up to eight devices simultaneously. With all of those devices in the same 10-meter (32-foot) radius, you might think they'd interfere with one another, but it's unlikely. Bluetooth uses a technique called spread-spectrum frequency hopping that makes it rare for more than one device to be transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. In this technique, a device will use 79 individual, randomly chosen frequencies within a designated range, changing from one to another on a regular basis. In the case of Bluetooth, the transmitters change frequencies 1,600 times every second, meaning that more devices can make full use of a limited slice of the radio spectrum. Since every Bluetooth transmitter uses spread-spectrum transmitting automatically, it’s unlikely that two transmitters will be on the same frequency at the same time. This same technique minimizes the risk that portable phones or baby monitors will disrupt Bluetooth devices, since any interference on a particular frequency will last only a tiny fraction of a second.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth2.htm
If this is actually the case then interference while actually playing the game should be pretty low. It would be more of solving the sync issues between matches.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't know how Bluetooth technology works, so I can't validate this, but here ya go:

If this is actually the case then interference while actually playing the game should be pretty low. It would be more of solving the sync issues between matches.

Good info, thanks.

I think the Sync issues are actually the easy ones to solve, offhand... it will probably involve removing the battery (or figuring out how to hard turn-off the controllers) after each match so the next person can sync, but the sync process is fairly painless, in my experience.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Good info, thanks.

I think the Sync issues are actually the easy ones to solve, offhand... it will probably involve removing the battery (or figuring out how to hard turn-off the controllers) after each match so the next person can sync, but the sync process is fairly painless, in my experience.
Unfortunately, with the Wii U Pro controller, there is no hard switch and the battery compartment isn't meant to be taken off, so there is a screw that has to be removed to take the battery out.

The easiest thing I can think of is if you hit the "home" button and select controllers and settings and select "pair", it will desync all controllers and wait for new controllers. Obviously the downside to this method is other consoles trying to pair at the same time.

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
Don't worry, the wii u pro acts completely differently than the wii motes. An instant synch occurs when you plug a wii u pro into a wii u via 1 of the 4 usb's so i'm sure it will work flawlessly if all 4 controllers remain plugged in via usb.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
All this tethering stuff could work, they've made USB to Gamecube adapters right? So a less extreme version could be tethering 4 of those to each Wii U and then players just bring their own controller and plug em in.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Don't worry, the wii u pro acts completely differently than the wii motes. An instant synch occurs when you plug a wii u pro into a wii u via 1 of the 4 usb's so i'm sure it will work flawlessly if all 4 controllers remain plugged in via usb.
I've never heard of this. From my understanding, the USB only charges the controller. No data is sent via the cord. When plugging in something to the USB port cause the Wii U to start syncing?

All this tethering stuff could work, they've made USB to Gamecube adapters right? So a less extreme version could be tethering 4 of those to each Wii U and then players just bring their own controller and plug em in.
I don't think that the USB currently acts as a controller port. It can be used for external hard drives and for charging devices, but I am not sure about controller inputs. If it does support controllers then a GCC to USB could technically work.

Top Bottom