• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No tripping code 'tis out (Updated! Added NEW Ocarina version!)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Now that's just silly talk.

You accepted his vision of SSB64 AND Melee with nooooooo problems. And NOW you try to say that it's not appropriate for him to make a game he wants to make?
Dude... it's his work... you don't HAVE to play it if you don't want to.
No it's not, because he made it specifically to kill the competitive community. How ****ed up is that? Hell, I don't even play competitively and I find that offensive.

Dude, that video was weaksauce and you know it.

A full match. Dedede tripped 0 times. Lucas tripped twice. One time it made absolutely no difference at all, the other time it just delayed the inevitable.

You're really going to say that tripping severely affected the outcome of that match?

Come on...

In fact, for every video on YouTube that shows tripping having an actual impact on the outcome of the game, there are 99% more games that haven't been recorded because tripping made no difference whatsoever.

Tripping videos are like the vocal minority.
Okay, then watch the video metaXzero posted. One trip = knocked off the edge, knocked down, and end result is death.

In any case, the point of that video was more to prove to the people that say "Tripping doznt eevn affeck maches at all, GAWSH." that it actually does. metaXzero's video proves that it can completely screw you over.

Just because you can't find more tripping videos doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means fewer people have taken the time to post the videos.

Alopex

Smash Ace
No it's not, because he made it specifically to kill the competitive community. How ****ed up is that? Hell, I don't even play competitively and I find that offensive.
Do you happen to have a statement from him to prove that claim? Cause otherwise, I think you're being a slight bit paranoid.

Sakurai is not coming after you. Or me. Or the competitive community. He knows that the competitive community are the ones that rack up the most sales. He just wants the non-hardcore to want to buy it too.

We can all get along.

Okay, then watch the video metaXzero posted. One trip = knocked off the edge, knocked down, and end result is death.

In any case, the point of that video was more to prove to the people that say "Tripping doznt eevn affeck maches at all, GAWSH." that it actually does. metaXzero's video proves that it can completely screw you over.

Just because you can't find more tripping videos doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means fewer people have taken the time to post the videos.
You do realize that the video you posted showed Lucas avoiding a Gordo through tripping. Essentially, Dedede got lucky and pulled out a Gordo. Lucas got lucky and tripped.

So... they both got lucky, but if Dedede had actually hit with the Gordo, no one would have complained. Because there would've been nooooooooooooo luck involved there at all...

Do you see the double standard?

Did you ever record a video of a match where tripping severely affected the outcome? Me either.

Why? Because it rarely happens.

Ah, but when it does happen... it's the end of world. Even though hundreds of matches went by with it making no difference whatsoever.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Alopex. Did you even look at the link I posted?
Yes. It showed a fragment of a match. Yes, C. Falcon got the short end of the stick there, but it wasn't match breaking. They still had a stock left each and it seems like tripping had no effect on that last stock, or he would have filmed that too.

We don't have enough stats to know exactly how bad tripping affects the gameplay. All we have are people that get outraged when it happens in one match despite the fact that they'll play hundreds more matches with tripping having no effect at all.

Instead of searching for "tripping" videos, we should just watch the many, many videos of the pros matches. Watch pro matches like Sagemoon vs Eggz or any other pros and you'll see that their matches pretty much never come down to tripping.

That's a lot more reliable to go by than a few clips of tripping making a difference.

Real games, no difference.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Alopex. That could've easily been Falcon's last stock.

The fact is Falcon was punished HARSHLY for tripping at that moment. Why would you allow a mechanic with THAT much potential to screw up a match when you can remove it? You can't adapt to it because it rarely happens and is random, but it can still happen at the worst time.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Can you please edit the first post and say TWILIGHT PRINCESS instead of TP cause I doubt anyone knows what the f TP is.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, so I followed the video mentioned in the OP to the letter, and now I've hit a snag: I can open HBC and I can see Ocarina and get the dialogue box that says "Do you want to load this blah blah blah? Yes/No", and if I tell it to load, the HBC just locks up. It shows the loading screen, but the loading bar is transparent, and I can see the HBC behind it. Furthermore, along these lines, if I try to leave the HBC, I lock up at a black screen. In both cases, I have to hard reboot.

I'm only running the no tripping code, and even then, this doesn't appear to be a problem with Ocarina, but with HBC.
Do you have GCN Memory cards in the GCN Memory Card slots? If you do that's the problem, take them out.

BEES

Smash Lord
What happens if you play online? Does the code work for everyone, only for you or for nobody?
This was answered hundreds of times. You desync when your opponent trips, and the match ends. It's incompatible.

You can just take the card out whenever you play online I think. Right?

Revven

FrankerZ
TYou can just take the card out whenever you play online I think. Right?
If you have the code on and you wanna play online you have two options.

1). Play with someone you know is also going to have the code on.
2). Exit out of Brawl and go back in without booting it from Ocarina.

Taking out the SD Card while the codes are still in use does nothing because the SD Card is disabled for use after Ocarina has booted the game with the codes. You have to go back to the Wii System Menu if you want to play online without the codes (going back into Brawl without booting from Ocarina).

Foxy

Smash Master
Do you happen to have a statement from him to prove that claim? Cause otherwise, I think you're being a slight bit paranoid.

Sakurai is not coming after you. Or me. Or the competitive community. He knows that the competitive community are the ones that rack up the most sales. He just wants the non-hardcore to want to buy it too.

We can all get along.
Oh GOD. You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

The competitive community for Smash is a definite minority. They are not in any way a huge source of revenue and Nintendo has reinforced that statement with most of their releases. Both Nintendo and Sakurai cater to the casual crowd (and by casual I mean REALLY casual).

And about a quote, Sakurai has said countless times that he wants "everyone to be a winner". Have you read his developer's journals and such? He often repeats that he doesn't want a game where two players are attempting to competitively defeat the other, where one is deemed the ultimate winner. He wants a party game where everyone has fun.

Did you ever record a video of a match where tripping severely affected the outcome? Me either.

Ah, but when it does happen... it's the end of world. Even though hundreds of matches went by with it making no difference whatsoever.
Yes. Yes yes yes. One in maybe 10 matches I play involves a trip that made a big impact on the match.

And honestly, I don't mean to be rude (or maybe I do), but how did you ever get very far in life using that kind of logic?

"I can buy drugs 9 times out of 10 without getting caught and sent to jail so therefore police don't make any difference whatsoever."
"I can block 19 out of 20 shots on goal so therefore I'm going to ignore all good players that shoot on me."
And so on.

I promise you that it is impossible for you or anyone else to provide a single piece of evidence as to why tripping should be included in Brawl. Of course arguments concerning Sakurai's vision or the fact that it's an original feature will be ignored; I want to hear why tripping makes it a BETTER game.

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
I see it this way. Tournaments are designed to be fair, the best way to do this is to remove luck as an obstacle. This is why items are removed from tournaments, because of their random appearing nature. Tripping is more or less the same thing, it is a random occurance that cannot be determined and as such is a completely luck dependant factor. You cant really argue that you cant practise for a tournament properly unless you have a modded wii because nobody (from what im assuming at least) considers the probability of tripping when creating their own gameplay styles / techniques.

Also, just because it requires a certain hack to be performed is definetly not a factor to consider when deciding whether or not tripping should be removed. I'm not saying that hacking your wii/game is the way to go, far from it. What I am saying though is that if everyone agrees that tripping should be removed during tournaments and someone is there that HAS a hacked game then it is only logical to use the hacked game yes?

For example: Lets say that it was theoretically possible to have an online version of Smash Melee that is COMPLETELY lagless but in order to do this, a certain hack is required. If I had this hack and so did another person in a different country and we wanted to fight eachother for the sole purpose of seeing who is better, then it makes sense for us to use this lagless online 'feature' in order to fight eachother. Alternatively we could both meet up somewhere spending however much money/time only to achieve the same goal as we would have if we were to play online.

Looking at the 2 options, it makes logical sense to take the online route as it is more optimal and effecient and serves no disadvantage. When it comes to removing tripping, the same holds true. Tripping is a random event that CAN potentially create the difference between winning or losing. As such, if everyone agrees that tripping over is an unfair feature to the game (I dont think anyone likes the idea of random tripping over) then it only makes sense to remove tripping from the game if it is an option, just like items have been removed.

Conclusion: Dont let the idea that we must resort to hacking in order to achieve a much desired goal scare you away from using it. Nintendo made a mistake by adding random tripping, we are merely doing what needs to be done in order to fix it. "The end justifies the means"

Foxy

Smash Master
I see it this way. Tournaments are designed to be fair, the best way to do this is to remove luck as an obstacle. This is why items are removed from tournaments, because of their random appearing nature. Tripping is more or less the same thing, it is a random occurance that cannot be determined and as such is a completely luck dependant factor. You cant really argue that you cant practise for a tournament properly unless you have a modded wii because nobody (from what im assuming at least) considers the probability of tripping when creating their own gameplay styles / techniques.

Also, just because it requires a certain hack to be performed is definetly not a factor to consider when deciding whether or not tripping should be removed. I'm not saying that hacking your wii/game is the way to go, far from it. What I am saying though is that if everyone agrees that tripping should be removed during tournaments and someone is there that HAS a hacked game then it is only logical to use the hacked game yes?

For example: Lets say that it was theoretically possible to have an online version of Smash Melee that is COMPLETELY lagless but in order to do this, a certain hack is required. If I had this hack and so did another person in a different country and we wanted to fight eachother for the sole purpose of seeing who is better, then it makes sense for us to use this lagless online 'feature' in order to fight eachother. Alternatively we could both meet up somewhere spending however much money/time only to achieve the same goal as we would have if we were to play online.

Looking at the 2 options, it makes logical sense to take the online route as it is more optimal and effecient and serves no disadvantage. When it comes to removing tripping, the same holds true. Tripping is a random event that CAN potentially create the difference between winning or losing. As such, if everyone agrees that tripping over is an unfair feature to the game (I dont think anyone likes the idea of random tripping over) then it only makes sense to remove tripping from the game if it is an option, just like items have been removed.

Conclusion: Dont let the idea that we must resort to hacking in order to achieve a much desired goal scare you away from using it. Nintendo made a mistake by adding random tripping, we are merely doing what needs to be done in order to fix it. "The end justifies the means"
Genius post, everyone should read this.

Thank you very much, Shiekah.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
I'm new at this--be gentle.

I've gone through this thread and several others on different forums looking for answers and come to the conclusion I just must be stupid.

I went through the Twilight Hack and used the Homebrew Channel Browser to Download Ocarina and then got the .zip file on my computer and tried using the code manager and the included .txt file for the NSTC version of Brawl. When I tried to add to code (I even tried doing it for all the character options) and clicked Export to GTC it would tell me "NO CODE SELECTED". So I am having trouble exporting the code to the SD card so I can try enjoying trip-free Brawl.

If anyone could help me I would be very gracious!

(I'm new at this and I'm trying really hard not to sound like a whiny "n00b" who can't figure things out on his own. I've tried doing this since yesterday and can't figure it out)

Revven

FrankerZ
I've gone through this thread and several others on different forums looking for answers and come to the conclusion I just must be stupid.

I went through the Twilight Hack and used the Homebrew Channel Browser to Download Ocarina and then got the .zip file on my computer and tried using the code manager and the included .txt file for the NSTC version of Brawl. When I tried to add to code (I even tried doing it for all the character options) and clicked Export to GTC it would tell me "NO CODE SELECTED". So I am having trouble exporting the code to the SD card so I can try enjoying trip-free Brawl.

If anyone could help me I would be very gracious!

(I'm new at this and I'm trying really hard not to sound like a whiny "n00b" who can't figure things out on his own. I've tried doing this since yesterday and can't figure it out)
You're going to want to click the button that says "Store to Modifications" and from there it'll tell you to check off the code. So, highlight the name of the code on the left (after you've clicked the Store to Modifications) and then copy and paste the code in the box (with the XXXXXXXX values replaced with 00000000) check it off in the box that's left of the name (you should see a tiny square to check it off) and now it is enabled, NOW click Export to GCT. Store it into your Removable Disk (SD Card) and it creates the codes folder for you and the GCT file is in there.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
Thanks!

Thanks! I highlighted but didn't checkmark, how dumb of me!
*Sigh* at least I know how to do it now! The snapshot @ any angle feature is also very nice!

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Alopex. That could've easily been Falcon's last stock.

The fact is Falcon was punished HARSHLY for tripping at that moment. Why would you allow a mechanic with THAT much potential to screw up a match when you can remove it? You can't adapt to it because it rarely happens and is random, but it can still happen at the worst time.
I see trips as a chance. I rarely ever trip, and when i do i can recover extremely quickly from it. Tripping isnt as random as you might think it is, it has a much higher chance of occuring when you try to 'turn on a dime' while your running. I like tripping, its the random variable that can help determine the out come of a match.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I see trips as a chance. I rarely ever trip, and when i do i can recover extremely quickly from it. Tripping isnt as random as you might think it is, it has a much higher chance of occuring when you try to 'turn on a dime' while your running. I like tripping, its the random variable that can help determine the out come of a match.
I REALLY hope this isn't a serious argument for keeping tripping. :evil:

Revven

FrankerZ
If this thing makes it so only metaknight can trip, it has officially made brawl better than melee :p
lol. That was with the older No Tripping code which was an action modifier that disabled the action for tripping. The newer one works 100% with everybody. It'd be only a dream though to make it so only Meta trips... actually, that'd be quite possible but, not worth doing. :laugh:

ohhh.... stages from story mode... is this possible? Cause that would be awesome. :)
Nope, sorry to disappoint, but, so far they've separated EVERY stage that's in story mode from the multiplayer ones. They're in completely different folders AND the compression is completely different and much harder to access so, likely, we won't see them anytime soon but it's a slight possibility we will later on.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I'm all for no tripping, but I don't know about the fact that it has to be hacked in order to make it so. Certainly this will pose a problem with people holding tourneys, as not everyone who holds them is going to want to hack their Wii to get this working.

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm all for no tripping, but I don't know about the fact that it has to be hacked in order to make it so. Certainly this will pose a problem with people holding tourneys, as not everyone who holds them is going to want to hack their Wii to get this working.
It's not really hacking, it's just adding a channel to your Wii that you normally can't. You don't do anything to the Wii at all actually, everything is done for you when you've got the right stuff. It takes no knowledge of hacking at all, it's just a simple code with a simple way to use it.

Revven

FrankerZ
is there an easy way to disable cheats after you've enabled them?
You can't disable them from the Wii with Ocarina, you just need to leave Brawl and go back in without booting from Ocarina. If you mean switching codes off/on, no, you cannot toggle that yet so, if you want to switch codes or use certain ones you need to make a new .gct file every time you want to do different codes but don't want the ones you have on already.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
You can't disable them from the Wii with Ocarina, you just need to leave Brawl and go back in without booting from Ocarina. If you mean switching codes off/on, no, you cannot toggle that yet so, if you want to switch codes or use certain ones you need to make a new .gct file every time you want to do different codes but don't want the ones you have on already.
ok that's definitely something they need to work on, making it easier to swap between codes and being able to turn them off and on would be excellent.

is there a forum where all of this originated?

Revven

FrankerZ
ok that's definitely something they need to work on, making it easier to swap between codes and being able to turn them off and on would be excellent.

is there a forum where all of this originated?
Yes, that feature as I'm told is possible to do but, very hard to implement and that in the next version they may try to to work on getting it in there but, it's not 100% guaranteed. That being said, the idea has been suggested and they already know about it so, joining the forums to create a thread on it is silly and will only cause clutter when there's already a few threads about it.

Here's the link where Ocarina originated.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Yes, that feature as I'm told is possible to do but, very hard to implement and that in the next version they may try to to work on getting it in there but, it's not 100% guaranteed. That being said, the idea has been suggested and they already know about it so, joining the forums to create a thread on it is silly and will only cause clutter when there's already a few threads about it.

Here's the link where Ocarina originated.
ah, i see. i already knew of this forum, just wasn't sure if it all came from the same place.

doesn't seem like the interest in tripping is very high :p

Revven

FrankerZ
Jiangjunizzy; said:
5145835doesn't seem like the interest in tripping is very high :p
Unfortunately, not. But, that doesn't matter, the tripping interest is here and that's all that matters. :p

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

We can all get along.
Okay, first post in this thread. That's the thread that made me realize Sakurai is an idiot and that Brawl was made to be non-competitive.

I'm not paranoid. Nintendo in its entirety is following this casual trend. They know the hardcore gamers are going to give them some nice sales (the competitive community is a minority in the hardcore gamers group, which, with so many casual gamers, is becoming a minority itself), so they act like a game is hardcore, they try to appeal to hardcore gamers and then you get the game and it's lots of stick-waggling casual fun. (Ignore the contradictory "fun".)

You do realize that the video you posted showed Lucas avoiding a Gordo through tripping. Essentially, Dedede got lucky and pulled out a Gordo. Lucas got lucky and tripped.

So... they both got lucky, but if Dedede had actually hit with the Gordo, no one would have complained. Because there would've been nooooooooooooo luck involved there at all...

Do you see the double standard?
No, I merely see the same idiotic "Character random moves = tripping!" arguments over and over. Again, you CHOOSE to use the attack. You also choose to move, but not moving is not an option, whereas not using a move is. STOP USING THE CHARACTER ARGUMENT. It's not the same thing.

Give me one good reason for tripping to be there.

No, seriously. I want a good reason for tripping. If you're against it because it's a hack, ignore the fact that it's a hack. If Sakurai had come up to you in the development process and asked you whether or not you wanted tripping, your opinion being the sole deciding factor in the process, would you say yes to tripping? There is NO GOOD REASON FOR IT. Sakurai's reasoning for such things is this;

"There is a mechanism of accidents occurring, balanced so that the game's progress and results falter easily."

He wants this stuff in there so being good in combat? Pfft, who cares. There's items, stage hazards, and tripping, so you could be the best player ever and still lose with all that stuff there. THAT'S why he wants that stuff. To transcend skill and turn it into a luck-fest, because he seems to think that a luck-fest is balanced.

If there is no good reason for tripping to be in there, it doesn't matter if it only affects matches once every blue moon (although that is a lie). Because that one time when it did screw up a match is a problem. No matter the rarity, how would you feel if you're in a tournament and that ONE MATCH that is affected by tripping is the one you're playing in, and it's in your opponent's favor? It's unfair to that person. It makes the game unbalanced for not a character, but a person, that one person who had the match affected by tripping.

Oh GOD. You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

The competitive community for Smash is a definite minority. They are not in any way a huge source of revenue and Nintendo has reinforced that statement with most of their releases. Both Nintendo and Sakurai cater to the casual crowd (and by casual I mean REALLY casual).

And about a quote, Sakurai has said countless times that he wants "everyone to be a winner". Have you read his developer's journals and such? He often repeats that he doesn't want a game where two players are attempting to competitively defeat the other, where one is deemed the ultimate winner. He wants a party game where everyone has fun.

Yes. Yes yes yes. One in maybe 10 matches I play involves a trip that made a big impact on the match.

And honestly, I don't mean to be rude (or maybe I do), but how did you ever get very far in life using that kind of logic?

"I can buy drugs 9 times out of 10 without getting caught and sent to jail so therefore police don't make any difference whatsoever."
"I can block 19 out of 20 shots on goal so therefore I'm going to ignore all good players that shoot on me."
And so on.

I promise you that it is impossible for you or anyone else to provide a single piece of evidence as to why tripping should be included in Brawl. Of course arguments concerning Sakurai's vision or the fact that it's an original feature will be ignored; I want to hear why tripping makes it a BETTER game.
This post is so right.
Everyone, read it.

Oh yeah! Just like items, right? Those are great for deciding matches, with how a Smash Ball can spawn right in front of your opponent and grants them the match.

...Oh wait, those are banned.

i think people have been working on it, and i agree, Tabuu stage is awesome looking.
Not only looks awesome, but then you can finally play with the Final Battle music. That music is so awesome and it can only be played on Custom Stages. What's with that?

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
wow im dying to try this out. I have homebrew in my wii now. and I have downloaded Ocarina. how do I apply those codes from the first page??

Revven

FrankerZ
wow im dying to try this out. I have homebrew in my wii now. and I have downloaded Ocarina. how do I apply those codes from the first page??
Since you downloaded Ocarina, it comes with a PC application. Open it up (it should be in the Ocarina folder called "pc"). Open the file code manager and there's your application. Put in the Game ID (RSBE01) and the name of the game and name of the cheat you're using. Now click "Store to Modification" and then copy and paste the code in with the designated values you're putting in for no tripping (replacing XXXXXXXX with 00000000) and then check off the little square box next to the name of the code to enable it.

Then export it as a .gct and store it in your Removable Disk (in this case, your SD Card). It creates the folder called codes and from there, put the SD Card in your Wii, boot up HBC and then boot Ocarina (make sure there's no GCN memory cards in it) then do what it tells you to and you're good to go!

It comes with a text file with instructions on how to use the PC application if this wasn't clear enough.

QNZ_RAFA

Smash Ace
I am as far as loading up the cheat menu list available for SMASH BRAWL US. NOW.... which modifier do I MODIFY to get tripping to 0??? is it STATUS MODIFIER? COLOR MODIFIER? CHARACTER MODIFIER? GRAVITY MODIFIER? DEFENSE RATIO MODIFIER? OR ATTACK RATIO MODIFIER? PLEASE HELP ME IM DYING TO PLAY BRAWL W/O TRIPPING!!

Top Bottom