• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No tripping code 'tis out (Updated! Added NEW Ocarina version!)

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Is it impossible to change the dashing mechanics of the game by AR? Not talking the animations just the times your allowed to dash in the other direction.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you change hitstun, you are gonna have to work on a lot of individual moves. I appreciate the work those guys are doing to tinker with Brawl and modify it, but you also gotta realize that people are gonna start disagreeing with whatever changes you make.

Once people realize that we have the tools to change Brawl, they aren't gonna just accept the game until it reaches their own "vision". Different regions might have different personal tastes, and might want certain changes for Brawl that are different from the rest of the country. You might have one region where chain grabbing with any character is impossible due to invincibility frames granted right after a throw, another region that allows CG's but shortens the grab range and damage, and yet another region that changes the knockback and hitstun on CG's. Some regions might have different views on how to balance MK/Snake/Higher Tiers, and different actions might be taken.

I'm not saying this to dissuade anyone from changing Brawl, but there's no guarantee that Texas will have the same mods as maybe NY or CA. There's no guarantee that each Major town is gonna agree on a universal Brawl modification list or that Top players will agree well enough.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Screw hit stun give me shield stun!

Then at least I could start doing some legit shield pressure
Lol infinite Metaknight Fairs on a shield... Or Wario dairs on a shield... I can see that happening with too much shield stun.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Though im not sure at what capacity we can alter the game's programming
Impossible, unless we somehow reverse engineer and get the code in plain text. We can, however, change the stuff that is loaded into memory.

If you change hitstun, you are gonna have to work on a lot of individual moves.
You are assuming that there is no global modifier to it. I have seen no evidence against it, maby i have missed something?

I appreciate the work those guys are doing to tinker with Brawl and modify it, but you also gotta realize that people are gonna start disagreeing with whatever changes you make.
Like every other game upgrade/patch/mod ever made. That does not mean that they are bad though.

Once people realize that we have the tools to change Brawl, they aren't gonna just accept the game until it reaches their own "vision". Different regions might have different personal tastes, and might want certain changes for Brawl that are different from the rest of the country.
It'll be a lesson in self control, not all that difficult considering all the work required to do a single one of those changes, let alone tweak them.

Some regions might have different views on how to balance MK/Snake/Higher Tiers, and different actions might be taken.
Its not about balancing, its just overall hitstun which is added in equal amounts to every character in the game.

Lol infinite Metaknight Fairs on a shield... Or Wario dairs on a shield... I can see that happening with too much shield stun.
I agree. Loads of testing and cautions is required.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
This is just shameful. Advocating hacks and accepting it with open arms. If this ever becomes standard amongst those who can use it, you can bet that my fist will be up their ***** in ten seconds' time. The very mention of or conversation including, even considering hacks makes me sick
I wrote that in another thread with almost the same name. Why are there two?

Ulevo

Smash Master
All I have thought about for the past few weeks are changes I would make to brawl if I had the chance. I think this is definitely worth looking in to.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
All I have thought about for the past few weeks are changes I would make to brawl if I had the chance. I think this is definitely worth looking in to.
This is just like one of those movies. These kinds of thing should STAY a fantasy.

Revven

FrankerZ
OMG! An actual no tripping code (like, you literally DO NOT trip, ever, except with bananas and trip inducing moves) is out now, it actually lowers the rate and when you set it to 0 tripping is officially gone!

Tripping Rate Modifier (Kirby is cool)
0481CB34 C0220020
045A9340 XXXXXXXX
Hacked by Y.S. for NTSC-J, ported by Kirby is cool. MAJOR thanks to Y.S. for his support.

XXXXXXXX is a float number

Kirby is cool: For testing purposes I set it to 42C80000 which is 100.0 and the characters tripped at a far more higher rate than normal and everytime a match would start or they would die they would trip every time they tried to move. I tested it with 0 and they wouldent trip at all from what I could tell and I had long matches going for some time. However kicking with a Down A and Diddy's bannanas still tripped for those who use those alot.

I don't have the floating point for 0 yet but... I'll post it when I get it.

LexCrunch said:
I wrote that in another thread with almost the same name. Why are there two?
There are two because this needed to be more widespread and not just within GBD. A lot of the competitive players don't go to GBD because of how annoying and n00bish it is. So, I posted it in here with the intent of actual discussion of tourney viability and their thoughts about a tripless Brawl. Which, with the code above, there aren't any side effects and trip inducing moves work 100%!

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
There are two because this needed to be more widespread and not just within GBD. A lot of the competitive players don't go to GBD because of how annoying and n00bish it is. So, I posted it in here with the intent of actual discussion of tourney viability and their thoughts about a tripless Brawl. Which, with the code above, there aren't any side effects and trip inducing moves work 100%!
Widespread?! You're insane! I already posted that a few seconds ago, but you're crazed! The Witchking couldn't have said it better.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This is just like one of those movies. These kinds of thing should STAY a fantasy.
Why? We, the paying customers of nintendo and the dedicated players of their games deserve to enjoy the games we play to the fullest. We alter the game to our liking with every rule we implement. How is this any different? Think outside the box.

As for those who are worried about Meta Knight becoming broken with hits stun, I think that would be false assumption. He is "broken" compared to the other characters; hit stun would effect every character. I don't doubt it would create issues though if not properly tested.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm so tempted, but also afraid to tinker with my Wii (and also broke to buy the stuff I'd need to do this)

Perhaps when I can afford it, I'll get a second Wii that I can do this with. Yeah, good idea. I dunno, something in my mind is calling out to me to "preserve the purity of the system." I dunno what it is, but I'm trying to squash it. Tripping is lame.

I think due to the floatiness of Brawl, hitstun would actually break Brawl, because WOPing would become unbalanced. Metaknight, Pit, D3, Kirby, Marth, R.O.B., Wario, PT, and anyone else who could simple WOP you to the deathline would reduce the game to just that. (Though it might bring C. Falcon back to that level, lol.)

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm so tempted, but also afraid to tinker with my Wii (and also broke to buy the stuff I'd need to do this)

Perhaps when I can afford it, I'll get a second Wii that I can do this with. Yeah, good idea. I dunno, something in my mind is calling out to me to "preserve the purity of the system." I dunno what it is, but I'm trying to squash it. Tripping is lame.
lol. This won't hurt your Wii at all, I have it on my Wii and nothing bad has happened yet, it's great to have and you can do so much more with it than just using codes (such as, backing up your Brawl save when you normally cannot! Or have N64 games on your Wii that aren't on the VC yet, which, is under your own discretion whether you get them or not). That being said, nothing bad can happen to your Wii and if you use just this one code, nothing bad can happen to your Brawl save. :)

But, it's your choice, I won't force it upon you. :p

3GOD

Smash Ace
Yay for removing Tripping. Anyone who really thinks tripping is a good thing...ugh...

For those who are saying "Melee 2.0" in hopes that Brawl will become Melee 2.0 or in disgust at the thought of it becoming so, I think it's unrealistic to expect such drastic changes. Consider all the things that would have to change:

1) Dash Dancing would have to find a way back in...some how we would have to extend the length of the initial dash frames or make it possible for characters to immediately turn later into the dash.

2) Directional Airdodge would have to return to create wavedashing...This seems like a huge task, and with the small landing lag from airdodging close to the ground (2 frames), wavedashing would be even better (meaning more scrubs would complain).

3) Increased hit stun...it's being worked on apparently.

4) Increased shield stun...could be done probably.

5) L-canceling...might not really be necessary if shield stun is increased, but it would be difficult to implement no doubt.

These are just a few of the changes that would have to be made in addition to not tripping and other changes like ledge mechanics. Fiddling with the stun factors will completely change things, so I doubt many people will accept modifications of this magnitude.

At best, we can somewhat balance the game more and "unbreak" Meta Knight while giving some more legitimate combos (making the competitive game more fun). At worst, we can remove the dumbest mechanic ever (tripping).

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
For everyone's information, I was talking to (and making fun of) Lex Crunch, so I have no clue why he's agreeing with me now. Seriously, I'm all in favor of a Brawl without tripping.
Crap, I think I got everyone to hate me. I misread "condemning" as something else (not sure what), and was under the misconception that you were on my side. If my argument doesn't appeal to anybody, then I guess I could turn out to be the most wanted (and hated) around. I still say it's unjustified to hack the game to make it more ideal. Someone out there could hack GTA IV so that every car in the entire game is changed to his/her car of choice, and that'd be ideal for him/her, too. In my vision, this is basically the same thing. In case anyone is at all worried, no matter how heated this may or may not get, I will not subject myself or anyone else to flaming. That's just unsophisticated.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Being able to take damage in unguarded areas while shielding, tether recovery gimping, and edgehogging are pretty annoying mechanics, too. Are there going to be hacks for those, too?

Also, in the heat of argument, I forgot to compliment you on your hacking skills, Falco400. To find the tripping mechanism and construct a code and float number for occurrence is quite an impressive feat, as much as I disagree with it.

uremog

Smash Ace
That makes a lot of sense, since all of those are random unnecessary elements that are not constructive to competitive play as well, right?

Revven

FrankerZ
Also, in the heat of argument, I forgot to compliment you on your hacking skills, Falco400. To find the tripping mechanism and construct a code and float number for occurrence is quite an impressive feat, as much as I disagree with it.
lol. I didn't make the code, I know the people who did though. I gave proper credit in the first post next to the code. I initially said I didn't hack it, though, I would have liked to. :laugh:

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
lol. I didn't make the code, I know the people who did though. I gave proper credit in the first post next to the code. I initially said I didn't hack it, though, I would have liked to. :laugh:
Oh, whoopsies :embarrass

In any case, I think I'm quite done. It's obvious we both feel strongly about our sides and that we're not phasing each other or trying to convert anyone to any ideal, but merely trying to assist them in their quests for idealism. I still think it'd be overly unorthodox for no-tripping hacks to become commonplace at tournaments. Truce?

Revven

FrankerZ
Oh, whoopsies :embarrass

In any case, I think I'm quite done. It's obvious we both feel strongly about our sides and that we're not phasing each other or trying to convert anyone to any ideal, but merely trying to assist them in their quests for idealism. Truce?
Haha, yeah, truce I suppose.

I added the floating point numbers to the first post, now you can trip all the time or not trip at all. Have fun! :laugh:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Your sig kinda contradicts what you are saying Lex Crunch. Also, I doubt you will become the most hated for not wanting Brawl hacked for competitiveness, there is bound to be many others with your mindset.

I would like to see the game improved through hacks personally, but if it was to be done we would need the BR to look at everything and decide what can and what can't be done to make it a better game. That is something that is unlikely to happen IMO(I could be wrong, many people do not like brawl) and if it does, we will not see anything official for a few years.

Talvi
Why can't people play Melee if they REALLY want Melee?
Melee is as good as dead, people want a better Brawl and they can get a Brawl 1.5 now with hacking. You don't have to agree with it, if anything official is made it would likely cause a split in the community and you could still play how you want.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Wait, you need TP, SD Card, and an SD Card Reader to do this? Seriously? This is gonna cost, and I believe I allready installed that update which stops the homebrew channel... .God ****. Any way around that, or alternate ways to install homebrew or get patches for Brawl?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
i am not too crazy about hacking brawl either, but i'll make an exception if dash induced tripping was out. I just don't know how people will take the game after that.

ZOMG, i hacked master chief into brawl O_O (sarcasm)

but yeah, good job on the programmer for figuring something out like that.

Revven

FrankerZ
Wait, you need TP, SD Card, and an SD Card Reader to do this? Seriously? This is gonna cost, and I believe I allready installed that update which stops the homebrew channel... .God ****. Any way around that, or alternate ways to install homebrew or get patches for Brawl?
The update doesn't stop HBC from working, it stops the Twilight Hack, but, the people behind the Twilight Hack found a way around it and so the Twilight Hack lives on (you can still install the HBC). You can also just rent TP and SD Cards and SD Card Readers usually go for under $10, they're quite cheap nowadays.

ALiAsVee said:
i am not too crazy about hacking brawl either, but i'll make an exception if dash induced tripping was out. I just don't know how people will take the game after that.

ZOMG, i hacked master chief into brawl O_O (sarcasm)

but yeah, good job on the programmer for figuring something out like that.
Yeah, dash induced trip is 100% officially gone if you set the rate modifier for trpping to 0.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much for that advise Falco400! Can't believe I didn't think of renting TP. Is there, uh, any way to rate you as a poster or this topic or anything?

And no tripping = awesome. I hope Brawl becoems a fair game with good combos given enough time.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Hey Falco, is there a good guide to the homebrew Chanel and the Twilight hack anywhere?

Revven

FrankerZ
Hey Falco, is there a good guide to the homebrew Chanel and the Twilight hack anywhere?
Video Tutorial Part 1 & Video Tutorial Part 2. You don't need to format your SD Card if you can read and write to it just fine but, if you need to, I suggest copying your private (the Wiis folder) folder to your desktop before formatting it as formatting it will erase everything you have on it.

Revven

FrankerZ
YAY. Now I am finally compensated for going through all the trouble to install the Homebrew Channel last month...renting TP was expensive.
Just download and install Ocarina and you're good to go. :) I linked to where you can download it in the first post where the code is.

Foxy

Smash Master
Impossible, unless we somehow reverse engineer and get the code in plain text. We can, however, change the stuff that is loaded into memory.
True, but my partner and I also have the source code (deencrypted and decompiled). We haven't spent much time trying to figure it out because it's extremely complex (and huge) but there should be more options there.

In response to what everyone's saying about modifying Brawl: I've been personally working on it with a friend since the week Brawl's come out, and we have a huge list of things we'd like to do, so don't worry about anything being left out. Because there's the huge issue of everyone having a different vision, we decided to mostly work without community input and without releasing much about our status until the project is done and there's not much that people can complain about (unless they make a great suggestion and we decide to add it in).

We actually didn't know about the release of Ocarina, which basically makes this a reality. Beforehand, everyone would have needed a USBGecko to even run the patch, and that blow to distribution basically halted our motivation.

I think we'll be picking back up on this pretty heavily, however, before school starts to see what we can produce. First thing will probably be to test negative Flinch Resistance values, then maybe to see if we can find the variables for dash-dance range and such.

Obviously if this ever succeeded, some characters would be quite broken, but in regards to MK a lot of people forget that he actually isn't one of the game's good combo-ers, especially due to his lack of horizontal aerial movement speed. The largest combos he has so far are a few hits (dthrow-dash-utilt-uair) or obvious (repeated uairs). In my opinion, Marth's fairs would be more broken, as would Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon.

Notice, however, that they would just be back where they were at Melee, which definitely wasn't broken. See? It'll all be seen in due time, anyways.

Top Bottom