• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No tripping code 'tis out (Updated! Added NEW Ocarina version!)

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
Altering a general hitstun code will most likely, as pretty much everyone here agrees to, make specific characters (MK + Snake) even more obscene than they already are. True, characters such as Falcon and Samus would now having a fighting chance, and this SHOULD be tested, but I just can't see increasing general hitstun to make things more balanced.

The best solution, IMO, is to alter specific character properties, e.g. increased hitstun for Falcon's Dair, Sheik's throws, etc. Although this would take f*cking FOREVER to figure out, it'll probably be required if we are to alter hitstun at all. Then you'd have to get the SBR involved and yea...wow. Maybe not the best idea after all.

cutter

Smash Champion
Hell yah for increased hitstun.

For all the people whining about increased hitstun:

We can atleast try it. If it makes Metaknight and other things beyond broken we obviously don't have to stick with it. It sure as hell would make the game a lot more fun with most characters though.
You can already test increased hitstun by doing stuff on CPU dummies set to stop. It's not exactly reliable, but you can get a good idea of what to expect with increased hitstun.

I just tested the Ftilt lock with Snake and it's just gross. He gets a ludicrous amount of damage from a knee lock (remember Ftilt would have increased hitstun) and it comboes into a very easy Utilt kill that can be done on any character. Basically if you get hit by Snake's Ftilt you lose a stock.

So as Vaul said you would have to alter hitstun for every single individual attack which would just be an absolute NIGHTMARE.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
what about BS, with Hit Stun Ivysaur would be Over Powered @_@ Wouldnt' be able to get out of BS. Heavy Characters would fail hard.

Revven

FrankerZ
I would also like to know if this works online against someone without the code.

I tested this last night myself in With Friends, when he tripped (on his screen) or I tripped (don't know who because I have no tripping on, he doesn't). It causes a desync which shortly thereafter we got DC'ed (as expected). So, no, it doesn't work online if someone doesn't have the code. If they have it, it should work just fine. Probably won't work in With Anyone either.

Kal

Smash Champion
Why did

0481CB34 C0220020
045A9340 00000000

not work to eliminate tripping, but

4A000000 8077F780
D2000000 00000004
2C030000 41820010
2C1C008c 40820008
3B800003 60000000
939E0038 00000000

did?

BUM163

Smash Lord
does this really work? who here has try to do this? if this really works i will put as much work as possible to put this into tournaments. like this would make brawl 2 times better. tripping is so bad and makes this game stupid alot of the times. right when i'm gonna kill my opponent i would trip or even edgeguard. hitstun more hmmm we would see how would it effect gameplay

BEES

Smash Lord
I can't say this enough times: don't increase the hitstun. If you hated Falco's 0-45 chaingrab, wait until it's a 0-100 chaingrab. Chances are, everyone would get a 0-death grab. It would be much worse.

Instead, if you really want to change anything about the physics, get rid of airdodging.

It has no offensive uses. You can't approach with it, because you can't control its direction. If you could control its direction, everyone could hover off the stage indefinitely with their infinite airdodges, so that is a pointless road to take. Instead, airdodging allows everyone an easy way to avoid attacks while in hitstun. It makes camping easier. It is the main reason you can't combo. If you can't airdodge, you have to attack. It heats things up.

Try getting rid of airdodging. Leave hitstun alone.

Revven

FrankerZ
Why did

0481CB34 C0220020
045A9340 00000000

not work to eliminate tripping, but

4A000000 8077F780
D2000000 00000004
2C030000 41820010
2C1C008c 40820008
3B800003 60000000
939E0038 00000000

did?
Well, the second code gets rid of the action and the first reduces the rate it happens (when set to 0, it shouldn't happen at all). If you set the rate to 100, you'll see that the code works. I tried it myself online yesterday (set to 0) and when we desynced or got DC'ed, it was because one of us tripped and because I have no tripping on that's what caused the desync. So, it obviously works... I don't know what's wrong with yours to be honest but, I'd try it again.

And even if the code doesn't work 99.9 percent of the time, tripping is eliminated .1 percent of the time. Perhaps I should ask KIC about it and have him try the code in Ocarina... I'll go do that, it can easily be fixed if tripping is still there even if the rate is set to 0. Unless, you're talking about trip inducing moves which this code does not get rid of. Try the code with 100 and if you trip every second then the code should work with 0.

BEES said:
I can't say this enough times: don't increase the hitstun. If you hated Falco's 0-45 chaingrab, wait until it's a 0-100 chaingrab. Chances are, everyone would get a 0-death grab. It would be much worse.

Instead, if you really want to change anything about the physics, get rid of airdodging.

It has no offensive uses. You can't approach with it, because you can't control its direction. If you could control its direction, everyone could hover off the stage indefinitely with their infinite airdodges, so that is a pointless road to take. Instead, airdodging allows everyone an easy way to avoid attacks while in hitstun. It makes camping easier. It is the main reason you can't combo. If you can't airdodge, you have to attack. It heats things up.

Wouldn't that invoke more WOPs for characters that have WOPs or semi-WOPs? Making them practically inescapable without air dodging? Meta Knight would be able to carry people out and off the stage with Fair, Fair, Fair them far away enough from the stage that they can't recover or even just finish them off with an Up B. Or DK could Bair, Bair, Bair and Bair and still recover back to the stage (semi-WOP) while the opponent may be too far away.

Yes getting rid of air dodging would allow more combos but, there'd also be more WOPs. It'd be slightly like Smash 64 then except with side stepping and less hit stun and I see where you're going with it. It'd be worth a try though... at least.

BUM163

Smash Lord
wait does this code only works for online play or both online and offline? i throw tournaments so hopefully this works offline. yea the falco thing is not 100 percent death. i prove this recently. u can meteor cancel in brawl and plus you can hold on to the wall.

Revven

FrankerZ
wait does this code only works for online play or both online and offline? i throw tournaments so hopefully this works offline. yea the falco thing is not 100 percent death. i prove this recently. u can meteor cancel in brawl and plus you can hold on to the wall.
Yes, it works offline, however, it does not work online unless your opponent has the code as well. AFAIK, the code works (I tried it myself), some people are just having problems for some reason and somehow make the trip happen still. :ohwell:

I'm wondering if it's because they tried dash dancing and that somehow still triggers a trip, eh, I don't know why yet.

Edit: Wait, I remember someone saying it doesn't work in training mode, perhaps that's why people are having trouble because they're trying it in training and not normal versus. :p

BUM163

Smash Lord
ok but in normal vs such as teams and one vs one, there is no tripping correct? is this a long process to do n does it mess up the wii?

Revven

FrankerZ
ok but in normal vs such as teams and one vs one, there is no tripping correct? is this a long process to do n does it mess up the wii?
It works in everything except training mode, I just did two minutes of hard dash dancing with Falcon in normal versus and didn't trip once. No, it cannot mess up your Wii, in the first post there's a video tutorial of how to install the Homebrew Channel and I also linked to where you can get Ocarina. Google for the Twilight Hack and Homebrew Channel files to get what you need. If you already have the essentials (SD Card, SD Card Reader, and Twilight Princess) you're set and you can go ahead and download the files and watch the tutorial on installing it.

I'm going to go ahead and record two videos of me dash dancing, one for five minutes and one for 2 minutes (the one I just did, in replay form). To prove that the code works fine. :p

BUM163

Smash Lord
dash dance for 5 mins then u'll make me a believer.... especially wit captain falcon and sonic who seems to trip the most

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Cutter your method f testing on CPU dummies set to stop is very very flawed. For one they do not DI nor would they make an action at a point where the hitstun would be ended.
Test the code rather than whining about it because frankly, in melee Fox had obscene combos as did Marth, but they were still capable of being *****.

Frankly MK already has combos and strings greater than the majority of the cast. He does not benefit as greatly if hitstun were to be increased.
Let alone the fact you can DI and escape combos since its not as if the hitstun is so obscene you're unable to move for 5 seconds.

You can also edit the hitstun so that while it is longer it isn't as long as in melee.
Or do you honestly prefer it that MK ***** the cast and they have no method of punishing the few mistakes MK may make during a match?

Since frankly punishment=10% is far from doing any benefit.

BUM163

Smash Lord
lol if ur talkin 2 me, my method was done on the best falco player which is d1. we just tested things out last night. if ur talkin 2 sumone else i apolgize, but i always have a live player to test things on.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I tried this code and so far it works fine for me. I ran around with Falcon for like 3 or 4 mins and then played several matches and i didnt trip once.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Too bad not everyone has the capability to use this code.

Sure the code makes Brawl an overall better game, but to turn it on and off and on in off for people who have and people who dont have. And to keep it on always and play with people that only have it, augh.

Overall its more of a hassle. Regardless, I'd still do it. :awe:

Foxy

Smash Master
Ungodly huge-*** wall o' replies time.

Metaknight
For one thing, certain characters would become God, and we'd have to balance them, but there's no ****ing way we could regulate how, so technically, it could be a different game PER WII. MK would be total ****, because the hitstun would prolly allow him to seriously **** you up, so we'd want to make him less godly. That's just an example.
I really think that MK would be ridiculously broken if hitstun was increased.

His moves have virtually no startup time and virtually no lag. He can just chain moves over and over dealing ****loads of damage and pushing you offstage. Then he Dairs you a couple of times and you're ****ed because an increase of hitstun for MK's Dair will gimp pretty much every single character except for maybe ROB.

MK's Dthrow would turn into an obscenly broken chaingrab that would send anyone offstage and into a WOP with Dairs resulting in easy gimps or an easy kill with Nair if % is high. Thanks to MK's insane dash grab, this is easily possible.

Ftilt would become soooo overpowered. Ftilt into another Ftilt or a grab results in such ridiculous amounts of damage from Ftilt spam or into gimp kills off a Dthrow offstage.

Dtilt would be such a powerful combo starter that it's almost unfair. The IASA frames are crazy and allow you to immediately react and do whatever after a poke that doesn't trip... leading into a grab or maybe something like a Dsmash or Nair to kill.

Uair would be just silly. With increased hitstun, MK could just DI chase you up to the top of the stage and end it with more Uairs, Up B, tornado, whatever. This move comes out frame 2 and has almost no cooldown time to speak of. MK could juggle just about anybody that didn't have a decent Dair to get out of it.

Sure, characters like CF, Sonic, Luigi, etc would become better because of the increased hitstun and more potential for combos. Unfortunately, MK would be in a class of his own because his comboing would be completely unrivaled.
I found out that MK has a ridiculous chaingrab with his Dthrow that will send anyone to the edge of the stage and off with a Fair. From there you can just WOP with Dair for an easy gimp. His Ftilt and Dtilt are borderline broken setup moves that chain into a Dthrow, Dash attack, and much more that would result in insane amounts of damage. The Uair was just... ugh -_-

Granted this was all against test dummies that couldn't react at all, but in my eyes MK+more hitstun would make him the only viable character in the game. He would be the next Akuma.
Meta Knight would be able to carry people out and off the stage with Fair, Fair, Fair them far away enough from the stage that they can't recover or even just finish them off with an Up B.
Ive had discussions with numerous players about hitstun in brawl. The first thing everyone says is MK for god tier. The best thing he could do is combo u air's into up b, which already works. MK would actually be MADE WORSE.
This last quote is absolutely correct - everyone else doesn't understand MK or hitstun (and the fact that modded Brawl would definitely include increased fall speed, nobody likes the floaty **** we have now where anyone can recovery from anywhere).

Let me give you an example: Melee Marth. His fair has more range than Metaknight's fair, and Marth moves about as fast on the ground and in the air, plus he can wavedash. Have you EVER seen a Marth combo an opponent across the entire stage with fairs? Didn't think so. Honestly, I think everyone's getting a bit too used to Brawl to remember how this stuff actually works. I'd suggest that if anyone wants to discuss the effects of increased hitstun they should make sure they play Melee first.

Basically, MK doesn't have enough speed to chase someone across the stage with fairs (or any other attack). The only character that could go coast-to-coast in Melee was Captain Falcon with uairs and nairs, and that wasn't something that just any casual player could do. Also, it required certain percent ranges, taking DI into account, and some luck.

Factor in faster falling speeds and there is absolutely no way MK could do anything close to what Falcon did sometimes in Melee.

I just want to repeat that Metaknight is NOT going to be made insanely broken from more hitstun. The only reason he's even good right now is because of Brawl's physics. Thanks to the no-combos exchange-of-blows style of play, MK's just too good.

The few benefits I can see him getting would be that his Tornado would be harder to escape, his uairs would combo easier, and he could combo into his up-B more often. But if he can only do these things while other characters can actually pull of full combos on him, how often do you think they'll even be a concern?

Other Characters
Snake would still be very good, but since faster characters like shiek could build up damage with combos, his tilts wouldn't be nearly the godliness that they are now. DDD's chaingrab wouldn't be as evil, because more characters would be able to chaingrab his fatness. The only thing that would be truly buffed would be things like pikachu's dthrow cg on fox, but fox was more susceptable to combos in melee as well. Fox would be buffed because his shine spiking would work much better and his agility would be much rewarded. Characters like shiek, c. falcon, and sonic would actually be good because of their combo ability. Jigglypuff would actually be a very good character again. Characters could combo into their kill moves which would speed the game up, add more stocks to competitive play, and make the game more fun to watch.
Wow, you're one of the few people here that fully understands this stuff. Pkachu's CG is definitely one of the things I had in mind that would become broken; its knockback would have to be changed or maybe increased fall speed would make it less viable anyways because it wouldn't chain at lower percentages.
I think Snake would be even worse than MK with hitstun. His f-tilt can combo into itself at low percents now...
This is true, at 0% and such two full ftilts could probably hit. Unfortunately cutter misunderstands you...
Actually it'd be way worse. Snake could simply knee lock every single character by just doing the first hit of his Ftilt over and over again for an ungodly amount of damage before the opponent can DI out.
I just tested the Ftilt lock with Snake and it's just gross. He gets a ludicrous amount of damage from a knee lock (remember Ftilt would have increased hitstun) and it comboes into a very easy Utilt kill that can be done on any character. Basically if you get hit by Snake's Ftilt you lose a stock.
The first hit of Ftilt already has crazy hitstun. If it gets more, Snake has a pseudo infinite that can get people up to triple digits and into a Utilt kill.
No. The first hit of Snake's ftilt (the "knee") doesn't use normal hitstun because the characters don't leave the ground. It just has a semi-trip mechanic that would never be increased. As it is, you can combo the first hit of the ftilt into the first jab repeatedly infiniting an opponent until they figure out that they have to shield in between the two hits (I've done this often to newbies online for upwards of 50% at a time). Anyways, my point is that the mechanics of Snake's ftilt stun are irrelevant with the hitstun changes we're talking about.
what about BS, with Hit Stun Ivysaur would be Over Powered @_@ Wouldnt' be able to get out of BS. Heavy Characters would fail hard.
God, this is a concern. Coupled with fallspeed there would be no option for dealing with BS other than to nerf it, hard. Well... we'll see.
With faster fall-speed broken chaingrabs wouldn't really be possible. Also, it's usually not the lack of hitstun that allows characters escape from the current CG's so it's unlikely that more hitstun would buff those one's any more. However I expect there to be a number of semi-infinite CG's popping up with more hitstun anyways and those would need to be dealt with as-is.

And if I'm wrong, lemme know, but isn't modding like this illegal? And we go out in large groups with these modded wii's, so it's not like the police couldn't crack down on it.
What ShadowLink was talking about it just modding your Wii in order to play hacked/illegal copies of games, which is as he says not truly illegal but Nintendo can brick your Wii for it.

However, actually modding the game itself I believe (and then distributing it) is probably fully illegal. But huge Smash tournies take place where underage kids participate in what is usually considered "gaming" (gambling, etc) by putting money towards a pot and competing for it. So as we can see, if something that obvious hasn't caught the attention of anyone yet, there's no way someone's going to notice or care that someone's playing a tweaked version of Brawl.

Dont change the game you hate, DEMAND a better one, Sakurai basically wanted to screw us, and so far, he's been rewarded. If you want the next Smash to be better, make your opinion voiced to him, I doubt he ever comes over here.
Wait, are you kidding me? It's been clear from the development of Brawl that not only does Sakurai ignore (or work in opposition to) competitive aspects but he also pays next to no attention to community input. Plus, the next game is rumored to be on the DS, which isn't hard to believe but will be a nightmare. Do NOT put your hopes on Nintendo for making the Smash good again.

I think we'd need to at the least, make a huge analysis of how hitstun would affect characters, and which ones it would affect most, before we do anything.
The BEST way to do this is to actually change the hitstun and play with it. It's impossible to just imagine scenarios and base the possible quality of a hitstun mod off of that.

i vote earlier ledge dropping, less ledge invincibilty, more edge time while rolling up, and grabbing the edge w/ a tether and a regular grab at the same time
Yep, these are all good ideas that we're probably going to try out because Brawl's edge game is ridiculous.

Brawl has hitstun, it's just that you can dodge during it. That's the problem.
Actually, this isn't necessarily true. You can also attack during it (the source of a lot of M2K's complaints) ridiculously early. Basically the only thing you can't do immediately is jump, and if that's the measure of the hitstun then it's STILL lower than in Melee.

Now that tripping can be removed, people will want hitstun to be increased (too bad it would destroy the game). I can only imagine people hacking Brawl to get wavedashing and L-canceling back as well as other things like shieldstun, nerfing/buffing characters and moves. And so the slippery slope begins.
This is why if Brawl ever makes progress in serious modding it's going to be one group with a single vision and plan working on it and finally releasing it to the public. If it became a community project all hell would break loose. Some input would be nice, but honestly, the amount of personal opinions and people whining would just be a madhouse.

Do you have an idea on how to program djc'ing?
If we ever figure out how to edit the actual source code of Brawl this would probably be one of the easier things to change.

The best solution, IMO, is to alter specific character properties, e.g. increased hitstun for Falcon's Dair, Sheik's throws, etc. Although this would take f*cking FOREVER to figure out, it'll probably be required if we are to alter hitstun at all. Then you'd have to get the SBR involved and yea...wow. Maybe not the best idea after all.
Rather we would change general hitstun first and then, after extensive test play, change specific moves that need to be nerfed.

And I might as well say now that I don't want the SBR involved with this; it wouldn't be beneficial at all.

Airdodging
How about instead of changing hitstun, we just completely get rid of airdodging.

I'm up for testing that.

This is an absolutely fantastic idea and I'd love to try it but I would have already if getting rid of airdodging wasn't something that I really have no idea how to do.

I've always assumed that hitstun is indeed a value and can be changed with a basic code patch, but removing a whole mechanic? I'm not sure if that's what they did with tripping, I know the first code just altered the chance for it to happen which is what I'd expect, but if the second actually got rid of the mechanic like they said then I'd probably want to speak with the creator of the code to figure out how they found it...

So, basically, if I can figure out how to do it then expect removed airdodging first. (Though that would result in annoying counter-attacks to break out of combos. Imagine a game where great combos exist but the number one escape method is to mash your highest-priority aerial to kick your opponent in the face as soon as you can. Fun, right?)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You know, while we're at it, cant we get rid of footstooling?

And I think since it's so easy to do we should prolly make this mandatory for tourneys, but hey, that's just my opinion.

EDIT:@Foxy-Fair enough. But how do we decide how much hitstun is the prefect amount for all tourneys?

Tenki

Smash Hero
You know, while we're at it, cant we get rid of footstooling?

And I think since it's so easy to do we should prolly make this mandatory for tourneys, but hey, that's just my opinion.
whattdya have against footstools? :l

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
And if I'm wrong, lemme know, but isn't modding like this illegal? And we go out in large groups with these modded wii's, so it's not like the police couldn't crack down on it.
Nintendo Force Troops will begin breaking into houses to check for modded Wiis. Afterwards, policemen will start chasing random people in the streets to check if they have illegal MP3s on their iPods.

Revven

FrankerZ
So, basically, if I can figure out how to do it then expect removed airdodging first. (Though that would result in annoying counter-attacks to break out of combos. Imagine a game where great combos exist but the number one escape method is to mash your highest-priority aerial to kick your opponent in the face as soon as you can. Fun, right?)
Phantom Wings said:
Originally Posted by Phantom Wing's Action List
000 Stand
001 Walk
003 Dash
004 Run
005 Stop
006 Turn 1
007 Turn 2
008 Stop Turn
00A Start Jump
00B Jump
00C Second Jump
00E Fall 1
00F Fall 2
010 Fall Dissabled
011 Enter Crouch
012 Crouch
015 Exit Crouch
016 Land 1
017 Land 2
019 Land Dissabled
01A Enter Shield
01B Shield
01C Exit Shield
01D Perfect Shield??
01E Dodge
01F Roll Forward
020 Roll Back
021 Air Dodge
024 N Attack(and Combo)
026 R Attack
027 S Attack
028 U Attack
029 D Attack
02A S Smash Charge
02B S Smash
02C S Smash(again?)
02D D Smash Charge
02E D Smash
02F D Smash
030 U Smash Charge
031 U Smash
032 U Smash
033 Air Attack(All???)
034 Grab
035 Grabbing Enemy
039 Hold
03A Grab Attack
03B Release
03C Throw
03E Held
03F Held Damage
040 Escape
042 Thrown
045 Thrown Released
046 Hit ground(back)
047 Hit ground(face)
He basically searched (did the actions on the game and they gave the addresses) for actions and when he forced the trip with the Tingle AT he found the action for tripping and disabled it.

Phantom Wings said:
043 Damage 1
044 Damage 2
045 Air Damage
He says those are for hit stun, though, I'm not 100% certain. They're values that you can use to remove (or improve it or do it) said action. Now, apparently, there's an interesting video he made and for his "Super" codes he demonstrated Super Mario. When he's rolling around, there's no rolling action and it looks like a wavedash, lemme link ya to the video.

Click here

Just skip to the Mario part (at about 4:44) and you should see him "rolling" but, without the action. He basically disabled the action for rolling, I believe... it looks that way anyway unless that's only a specific part for the code he's making (which I doubt).

Make of what you will with this information.

BTW, no tripping video is being compressed, I will also show what happens to a replay without the code on. It will be uploaded a little later (brother is plating Team Fortress 2 at the moment).

Hope this helped.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Footstools are fine.

Its a great gimp tactic.

>_> I had things to say, but after that HUGE post by Foxy, I can't think of anything to add.

:3 Basically though, if we could put the limit of air dodges back to 1, that'd be cool.

No air dodges, and we're calling back to the 64 era.

However, we have DI now, and you can escape Ivy's BS with DI, and its a pretty narrow hit box.

<_< Preferably, I'd like everything balanced out to melee physics, and then tweak moves as they appear to be too good.

>_> Or just leave them in and ban them.

Although honestly, once we get a better grasp on the codes and such, the call to ban things other than stages[I think we can freeze stage hazards though, more stages anyone?!], items, and other things like stalling, will be completely null as it will be completely malleable to what a general panel of people who know what they're talking about.

Yay for more smash freedom!

>_> Also, we need the code to extend the recording times.
<_< Yea.
-DD

cutter

Smash Champion
@ ShadowLink: I never said testing "combos" on CPU dummies was reliable. For now, it is the best way to figure out possible things that could be done with increased hitstun in the Brawl engine.

@ Foxy: I totally respect your opinions, but Melee Marth is not like Brawl MK. MK has pretty lame aerial movement, but his ground movement is crazy. Plus he has a sick dash grab with a Dthrow that will be ludicrous with more hitstun. MK's attacks start up faster and end faster than Marth's. He is well more adept at chaining moves than Marth could at chaining Fairs across the stage in Melee.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
EDIT OH yeah, forgot:

THANK YOU, GOD! Tripping suxx.

How would this work if I took it to the internet?

You can already test increased hitstun by doing stuff on CPU dummies set to stop. It's not exactly reliable, but you can get a good idea of what to expect with increased hitstun.

So as Vaul said you would have to alter hitstun for every single individual attack which would just be an absolute NIGHTMARE.
Why is everyone talking about the Nightmare of this proposition when the real problem is the question of if it makes sense to redesign an entire game in the first place.

Taking out tripping? Easy fix to an obvious problem.
But changing an actual dimension of game balance, hit stun, even if a sweeping increase by a constant factor didn't produce brokenness, would be a complete change to the game. Who could know what characters became better and worse, and dependent on just exactly the value of the factor, and is it right to shift the characters around like that, in particular, forcing a lot of data learned about tactics so far into review?

With what I'm hearing about people wanting to remove footstools, I'm afraid I have to actually question the . . . not quite ethics, but something like the justification and fairness of this. Taking out footstools, if even one person can rationally defend their existence. . . what is that? It's too much like taking something out because you don't use it well. It's, integrity, of the whole competitive community, that this proposition is toying with, being flouted not as a proposition for debate but just a difficult puzzle to get out of the way.

Xeial

Smash Cadet
That was probably the most amusing thing I've read on these boards regarding infinite directional air-dodging. If that came about, we should rename it Super Smash Bros. Z

...or not.

In any case, instead of removing air-dodging, wouldn't it be better to simply decrease invincibility frames, or at least add the ability to DI your air-dodges like Melee? That would really be the only obstacle to the return of Wave-dashing.

cutter

Smash Champion
Why is everyone talking about the Nightmare of this proposition when the real problem is the question of if it makes sense to redesign an entire game in the first place.

Taking out tripping? Easy fix to an obvious problem.
But changing an actual dimension of game balance, hit stun, even if a sweeping increase by a constant factor didn't produce brokenness, would be a complete change to the game. Who could know what characters became better and worse, and dependent on just exactly the value of the factor, and is it right to shift the characters around like that, in particular, forcing a lot of data learned about tactics so far into review?
A universal increase in hitstun would affect all characters. Sure, characters like Luigi, CF, and Sonic would get better with hitstun going up, but so would people like MK and Falco.

MK's combos would be unrivaled thanks to his speed and next to no startup/cooldown time on his attacks. His Dthrow would chaingrab everybody to the edge and into a perfect setup of Fair and Dair to get easy gimp kills.

Falco's chaingrab would spiral out of control. You think it was bad enough to have it go from ~0-35 for every character? With more hitstun, it would easily turn into a chaingrab of 0-80, and even more against floaty and big characters.

Then there would be stuff like Bullet Seed and Pikachu's CG that would also become broken. While you might make a very good amount of the lower tier characters better because of more comboing, the other things like I said above (and possibly a lot more) would just break the game in half.

Top Bottom