• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No sympathy: Ike Video thread

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
No Sympathy (Ike video thread)
version 3.6
WIP

Welcome to the No Sympathy thread! A great place for PM Ike players to view videos to help learn match-ups, get tips/ tricks to improve gameplay, and just overall entertainment.

Tutorials
Quick Draw Uses and Applications

PyroTakun's Ike Overview

Tournament matches
Rodent's Den 9: Hoboz vs AmaZeroMmu (Marth) GF

RSB1: Shogun vs Ior (Mario, Mewtwo, Falcon) LF
RSB1: Shogun vs Chamberline (Sheik) GF
TASE: SparklingZero vs AeroLink (Link) Winner's Side
TASE: SparklingZero vs AeroLink (Sheik, Link) LF
Warroom II: Lordy vs Dirtboy (Squirtle) LQF

Natufest II: Lordy vs Ginger (Fox) GF

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Pretty good for newcomers, didn't mention QD Attack can be done automatically on contact if you hold A though. If you left me in charge of that video I would have probably put into too much specifics about stuff like the different quarks of his D-smash when it comes to CC'ing.

Not to offend your video but you might want to link past P:M Ike video tutorials as well, there's been several or so.

Right now though I'm SO waiting for in depth video/images for his different move's sweet spots. Even now I'm confused with how his tipper is his weakest sour spot now but still retains the 1/3 hitlag mechanic he use to have, making it possibly better than the next weakest "arm" hitboxes.

Here's a playlist of my stuff for this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec-yfPgAaY&list=PLovBMkMLex7xhb2XjvWL1l40KnxhgwIrN

Some stuff off the top of my head that doesn't apply to 2.5 Ike is:
His Moonwalk is now non-existent because of his faster dash
His up-b goes less far so some of the WJ stuff under FoD may not work
His "hitlag reduction by 1/3 on all sword attacks(besides tipper apprently?)" is removed so that affects a lot of stuff
His Fair doesn't hit from the top/bottom of the swing anymore so he may not be able to do the shield hit to bair thing or the fair above a platform thing
His "LedgeJank" as well as other's may not be able to be done in 2.5

metroid1117

Smash Master
I think it's not too shabby of an idea to start the official Ike Video thread. I'll go ahead and start with my own Ike Overview vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyKN14clyNI

Forgive me for my noobish post and vid. Any advice/ pointers are more than welcome
The QD portion was pretty good, but I think this video, even though it's quite old by now, is a little more detailed and more organized about how QD can be used and applied.

The video as a whole was okay, I like how you explored the use of DTilt and provided some applications. There are, however, some differences between Brawl and PM that you didn't mention:

- Ike's sword attacks (aerials, tilts, and even Smashes) do more damage at the hilt. The hilt sweetspot does the most damage, the blade/arm does slightly less, and the tip does the least of all. If you're having trouble seeing it, try going into Training Mode and practice hitting CPUs with different spacing on his attacks while noting the damage that each attack does.
- DAir hilt sweetspot is a true spike, whereas the other hitboxes are meteor smashes
- reverse NAir sends outward instead of upward
- DThrow sends the opponent behind Ike and lower to the ground
- Ike can wall-jump out of QD
- reverse Aether can only grab the edge at the apex
- Ike can DACUS and has a sizable reverse boost grab

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Pretty good for newcomers, didn't mention QD Attack can be done automatically on contact if you hold A though. If you left me in charge of that video I would have probably put into too much specifics about stuff like the different quarks of his D-smash when it comes to CC'ing.

Not to offend your video but you might want to link past P:M Ike video tutorials as well, there's been several or so.

Right now though I'm SO waiting for in depth video/images for his different move's sweet spots. Even now I'm confused with how his tipper is his weakest sour spot now but still retains the 1/3 hitlag mechanic he use to have, making it possibly better than the next weakest "arm" hitboxes.

Here's a playlist of my stuff for this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec-yfPgAaY&list=PLovBMkMLex7xhb2XjvWL1l40KnxhgwIrN

Some stuff off the top of my head that doesn't apply to 2.5 Ike is:
His Moonwalk is now non-existent because of his faster dash
His up-b goes less far so some of the WJ stuff under FoD may not work
His "hitlag reduction by 1/3 on all sword attacks(besides tipper apprently?)" is removed so that affects a lot of stuff
His Fair doesn't hit from the top/bottom of the swing anymore so he may not be able to do the shield hit to bair thing or the fair above a platform thing
His "LedgeJank" as well as other's may not be able to be done in 2.5
Yeah, I didn't want to get too technical with it. And I had a BUNCH of other clips that got messed up because Windows Movie Maker is ******** -__-

I'll definitely make more in-depth stuff later on though. I was just so burnt out after spending 4+ hours recording and editing then losing half of my clips.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
unless he FLAKES!!!!!! there should be some matches of me vs metroid's ike, potential ike dittos on stream tomorrow afternoon. i'll post in the pm social thread when we start streaming :3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Metroid and I did a first to 5, $5 MM in Ike dittos and he won 5-3. The set should be up around Monday-ish. Look forward to it :3

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys, here are some Ike videos from the last Rolla tourney. I got bodied by Strong Bad's Wario (0-3), but win a very close set against Fishburne's Ness.

WR1: Fishburne(Ness) vs metroid(Ike): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuFg22vMX0
WF: metroid(Ike) vs Strong Bad(Wario): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WNLGjAQPg

Disclaimer: none of these videos have sound, but I figured out what the problem was and solved it. My next videos will have sound.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Lol, has it really been a month since people have posted in this thread?

Anyway, here are some Ike videos I got recorded from last Saturday's Smashfest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCJlOBPy2I

0:05:41 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
0:10:04 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
0:21:56 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
0:28:31 - metroid (Ike) vs Tmacc (MK)
0:31:11 - Darkatma (Pit) vs metroid (Ike)
0:37:25 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
0:34:37 - metroid (Ike) vs Tmacc (TL)
0:41:02 - Darkatma (Pit) vs metroid (Ike)
0:45:56 - metroid (Ike) vs Tmacc (MK)
1:04:40 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:07:46 - Darkatma (Sheik) vs metroid (Ike)
1:11:40 - metroid (Ike) vs MP (Sonic)
1:14:42 - Seraph (Bowser) vs metroid (Ike)
1:17:47 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
1:26:17 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:30:13 - Seraph (Bowser) vs metroid (Ike) <------------------------ shamelessly stealing Strong Bad's Ike technology
1:33:04 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs metroid (Ike)
1:42:09 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:49:50 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs metroid (Ike)
1:52:59 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
1:56:15 - metroid (Ike) vs MP (Sonic)
1:58:42 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs metroid (Ike)
2:08:52 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
2:12:56 - metroid (Ike) vs MP (Sonic)
2:15:07 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
2:38:46 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'll go through the vids and update the first post sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Anybody know if the next version will be out before Apex?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Probably. The Mewtwo video said Winter 2013, which means it will be out before January 1st. Who knows though,

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Updated the first post, only took me like 3 weeks.

Btw, does anyone know if there's been changes made with Ike in 3.0?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Quick shout-out to Metroid: Your match with Mango at the Big House 2 is the reason I got into melee and Project M. So thanks for the introduction to a beautiful game with a beautiful Ike that I can actually use well! That said, pity more people don't main Ike, heh. Did Vro drop him after the 2.5 revisions and never give him another chance?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I don't usually. I use it in Melee to up air because tap jump johns
I was almost certain with how much you use Nair. I don't mean use C-stick to do aerials, I mean when you set it to Attack instead of "Smash" in custom controls: doing diagonal inputs on it in the air makes it do Nair (giving it extra prowess to perform nairs easily after platform drops just like how it helps to use C-stick for Up-air) although it changes a few other things and checks for C-stick release badly so it screws up stuff.
I'm pretty sure that I started that "trend" haha. Brawl habits die hard.
My friend Octorok told me SixSaw uses it for Captain Falcon. Did you know/influenced him?
Lol spidermad. i think you're the only person in the world who does that.
If they fixed the bad quirks about it, leaving it to only change that C-stick diagonals triggered Nair, then every aerial would thus be C-stick'afied and people would learn the true use of their nair aerial

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I used the c-stick for tilts in Brawl, mostly to do walk-off D-airs. I still have it set in PM just because I got used to it.

On another note, I finally got another video capture card, so I'll be uploading more PM vids here soon. Btw, anyone here signed up for Apex? I'll be there and I'm thinking about bringing my capture card.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A few MMs of my Ike vs Rat's Wolf should be up whenever metroid uploads 'em. I did some stuff... that I need to see again...

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I think its cause he kept charing the QD so that he'd sometimes end up behind Rolex on QD. Though, honestly, Rolex was shielding quite a few times against Ally just charging QD and would have been perfect grab opportunities. That's my primary criticism of his Ike, 2 less QD attacks would have been perfect or so.

I like his fundamentals a lot. Admittedly, I walked into the M2K game thinking Ally had no shot - and I still feel like those needless suicides were the main reason the games looked close. I'd probably have to re-watch though for good measure.

Top Bottom