• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Turbo Ether

Smash Master

I actually think it's funnier when Brawl heads get all excited over TvC and SFIV. It's obvious that they'll never end up playing them competitively because they aren't good at Brawl when it is the simplest and easiest fighting game to learn that is played competitively. As such, they will always be abysmal in other fighting games. It's even funnier that TvC is dumb and SFIV is boring and Brawl heads STILL drool over them lolol.
Or some people are looking for a game that's potentially better than Brawl and potentially better/newer/more relevant than Melee. Not everyone wants to play these two games forever, and there are people that genuinely prefer other games over Melee despite how "good" it may be. It all comes down to preference, some people think i'm crazy for thinking FFXII is the best game in the series, for example.

bajisci

Smash Ace
Or some people are looking for a game that's potentially better than Brawl and potentially better/newer/more relevant than Melee. Not everyone wants to play these two games forever, and there are people that genuinely prefer other games over Melee despite how "good" it may be. It all comes down to preference, some people think i'm crazy for thinking FFXII is the best game in the series, for example.
sf4 is definitely better then brawl I totally agree, except the part about FFXII being anything but awful

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Or some people are looking for a game that's better than Brawl and better/newer/more relevant than Melee. Not everyone wants to play these two games forever, and there are people that genuinely prefer other games over Melee despite how "good" it may be. It all comes down to preference, some people think i'm crazy for thinking FFXII is the best game in the series, for example.
I wasn't referring to you :bee: I wasn't suggesting that everyone go back to Melee(though they probably should ;)) I also wasn't talking about abandoning Smash or Melee for other fighting games in general or playing it in addition to them. It's true that people are going to get bored eventually. I don't plan on playing Melee for the next 50 years and CERTAINLY not Brawl for that long. I'm just amused that Brawl players, generally bad ones, have gotten so hyped over SFIV and TvC when they are probably going to be awful at them up until the point where they quit. and imo they should play Melty Blood and/or Blazblue if they want to learn another fighting game

Turbo Ether

Smash Master

I wasn't referring to you :bee: I wasn't suggesting that everyone go back to Melee(though they probably should ;)) I also wasn't talking about abandoning Smash or Melee for other fighting games in general or playing it in addition to them. It's true that people are going to get bored eventually. I don't plan on playing Melee for the next 50 years and CERTAINLY not Brawl for that long. I'm just amused that Brawl players, generally bad ones, have gotten so hyped over SFIV and TvC when they are probably going to be awful at them up until the point where they quit. and imo they should play Melty Blood and/or Blazblue if they want to learn another fighting game
I've heard that Blazblue is great, but I have to admit, the anime characters are a bit of turnoff for me. How's the community size/tournament scene looking? Overall, that's the most important thing for me.

Bajisci: FFXII is not perfect, but it's gameplay/combat are clearly better than previous games in the series. Imo the best three are VII, X and XII. I give XII the nod, due to the much, much better combat, best written/translated story and dialogue. Things that obviously improve with technology and development experience and skill. I liked XII's combat to the point where I never want to touch 1-9 ever again.

People bash the story, but personally I was able to appreciate it more after replaying it. The game is far from perfect, but so is every other FF. It would take me too long to describe things I dislike about XII or any other game in the series. Note that i'm not including ports, remakes, spinoffs and International versions.

bajisci

Smash Ace

if there was an arcade near me or a console port id be playing blazblue right now but there isnt :p and i know i suck at sf4 :D

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I've heard that Blazblue is great, but I have to admit, the anime characters are a bit of turnoff for me. How's the community size/tournament scene looking? Overall, that's the most important thing for me.
T_T

How can you say the anime characters are a bit of a turnoff but RUFUS' HIDEOUSNESS is not a turnoff?

I actually don't know how the community size/tournament scene is looking for BB. I'm just basing that it's good off the fact that me and LK have similar opinions and he's played it, it's made by the makers of Guilty Gear, and it looks fun from vids.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I'm not denying that Rufus is hideous. Chun-li, C. Viper, Cammy, Sakura and Rose (alt costume) animating in hi-def kinda make up for it. Though, Chun-li may or may not have man hands...

The expression on characters faces when they're about to get hit by an Ultra is hilarious btw.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, I was really surprised to see you there 0_o We defintely gotta trade Falco info from now on. I love your Falco.

As for SFIV, the people at the college don't even know the basics yet from when I played them but I hope they get some practice in plus my Guile fights like Brawl: Gay and Campy. They can't handle it :p

[/FONT]
Fo sho lol, and your Falco is dope too :)

Also, yeah, I kinda noticed you turtling every now and then in SF4 lol, but then again, that's kinda how those fighters kinda just are. I just hope I can get the game asap so I can stop losing to those guys >_<

Although... I think the highlight of the day was the double Toon Link team vs the double Link team xD

Cheezit

Smash Ace

T_T

How can you say the anime characters are a bit of a turnoff but RUFUS' HIDEOUSNESS is not a turnoff?

I actually don't know how the community size/tournament scene is looking for BB. I'm just basing that it's good off the fact that me and LK have similar opinions and he's played it, it's made by the makers of Guilty Gear, and it looks fun from vids.

It's fun i have played it a couple times, and its basically the GG communtiy that plays but its been kinda hush hush since eveyones hyped for sf4 and the only places that have them in a remote vicinity is UP in philly or ctf in New york. Also AraKune is mad awesome, actually all the cast is awesome and mad unique.

Also keitaro i play SF4 Guile and Boxer all dai unfortunatly i think theres some lag on my convertor and stick lol.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
MELEE TRI-STATE POWER RANKINGS

2/13/08

1. Mew2King
2. PC Chris
3. (*Jman*)
4. Cactuar
5. Eggm
6. Heart Break Kid
7. Scar
8. Vanz
9. Reno
10. Sensei
11. Teczero
12. Pakman
13. DJ Nintendo
14. Alukard
15. Scrapecity (G$)

Honorable Mention due to inactivity: teh_spamerer

Panelists: Alukard, Heart Break Kid, JFox, Scar, Vanz
Interesting JFox. I'm surprised PC is ranked. I swear the only Melee tourney he's been too was the one @ Sensei's the other day.

GO HBK!!!!!

Keitaro

_Yes!_

Smash Hero

Keitaro

I still love Brawl, like it better than any other fighter I've played. Only game that comes close or equals it is Melee.

It's hard for me to like other fighting games if I don't like the people. I'm not gonna go play ****ing Blazblue. I don't like the people or know **** about them. I actually know the Melty Blood people but like Nintendo characters faaaar beyond Shingetsutan Tsukihime people. Street Fighter people are cool but I've been a much bigger fan of Streets of Rage so the Rage own the streets for me.

In other words, I play Brawl cause I love the characters and the music and the gameplay is very fun/inviting for me to play nearly everyday.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
you should mention to the guy asking about melee that we usually play brawl -.-

legendaryhero do you still live in the suites?
No i live on college ave now... so its gonna be a bit of a pain coming over to busch but im there for class alot anyway so we'll see....

but im not looking to get into brawl im not a big fan of the game i just wanna get back into melee...

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
What happened to inui on RC to make him ban it? I'm not complaining but I hope he doesn't throw in another dumb stage to take its place.

Inui

Banned via Warnings

I actually think it's funnier when Brawl heads get all excited over TvC and SFIV. It's obvious that they'll never end up playing them competitively because they aren't good at Brawl when it is the simplest and easiest fighting game to learn that is played competitively. As such, they will always be abysmal in other fighting games. It's even funnier that TvC is dumb and SFIV is boring and Brawl heads STILL drool over them lolol.
QFT

Rigel and Daryl are going to utterly destroy every Smasher in those games next weekend. :)

Inui Decided to Ban Rainbow Cruise after losing to Ksizzle at G.I.M.P.E.D today.
-I lost a match to OBM based entirely on that stage.
-I beat ADHD a few weeks ago because of that stage.
-I beat Keitaro a while back because of that stage when he should have just 2-0'd me and won the set.
-Atomsk lost to that stage against DaPuffster.
-Atomsk got screwed by the stage a while back against Snakeee.

I can go on.

Screw that stage. It's gone at my tournaments.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Yeah, Battlefield's ghosts and stage tilting are really gay
QFT

Rigel and Daryl are going to utterly destroy every Smasher in those games next weekend. :)

-I lost a match to OBM based entirely on that stage.
-I beat ADHD a few weeks ago because of that stage.
-I beat Keitaro a while back because of that stage when he should have just 2-0'd me and won the set.
-Atomsk lost to that stage against DaPuffster.
-Atomsk got screwed by the stage a while back against Snakeee.

I can go on.

Screw that stage. It's gone at my tournaments.
Not to mention those 3 annoying platforms XD.

Inui, are you going to replace it with something or just take it out entirely? Also, are you banning it right away(for airman).

Inui

Banned via Warnings
It's banned at my events starting with I Can't Defeat Airman and it's not being replaced with anything.

I'm also considering banning Frigate Orpheon.

I'm tired of stages deciding who wins over players.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
It's banned at my events starting with I Can't Defeat Airman and it's not being replaced with anything.

I'm also considering banning Frigate Orpheon.

I'm tired of stages deciding who wins over players.
Ok thx for the quick response :), but why is frigate a major concern?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure Orion died at 0% today while just standing on the stage when it flipped.

It killed Bum at nearly 0% today in teams.

In a random friendly match at school, I grabbed Izumi when I was 0% near the edge, the stage flipped, and I died while he didn't.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I love my stage rules.

Neutral:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Counterpicks:
* Delfino Plaza
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1

Stage striking used to determine first stage. You get 1 ban.

Strictest stage rules in the world? Maybe.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I love my stage rules.

Neutral:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Counterpicks:
* Delfino Plaza
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1

Stage striking used to determine first stage. You get 1 ban.

Strictest stage rules in the world? Maybe.
I'd much rather have frigate in than brinstar but to be honest, even though the list is restricting I think it's much better that way.

Top Bottom