• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Guys, the amiibo shown and the one in the video are different, look here: https://twitter.com/garfep/status/637127203994529792

So the amiibo, while slight changes, WAS NOT THE FINAL ONE LIKE THE LEAK SAID.

That's not a part he got wrong in my book.

Here's a comparison:

Different color changes, and less detail on the chest plate, it seems.
It wasn't the amiibo itself that he said was different though. He said it was the packaging that was different. Which it's not because they confirmed on their post about the amiibo, that the packaging they showed was it.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Guys, the amiibo shown and the one in the video are different, look here: https://twitter.com/garfep/status/637127203994529792

So the amiibo, while slight changes, WAS NOT THE FINAL ONE LIKE THE LEAK SAID.

That's not a part he got wrong in my book.

Here's a comparison:

Different color changes, and less detail on the chest plate, it seems.
To be fair, this is just the sort of thing that happens when it comes to production. Still an interesting point regardless.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I really wish the fact that the ballot is a suggestions box and not a popularity contest sunk into more people's heads.

I think a lot of disappointment down the road could've been averted had it been made more apparent.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
In my honest opinion whoever gets in got in, and that's that. Arguments as to why they deserve that "slot" in the roster get tiring almost always, so I don't bother with supporting characters, because I don't want to deal with that stuff. Perhaps people do that to show how much they want their character in, so they argue.

If a character doesn't get in, it will all end up being in a saltfest to the point that the fanbase may threaten the developers for not doing that. It's kind of sad.

The same thing could happen again and again and again.
That's kinda exaggerated. No entire fan-base will do that, only a minority of over-reacting people.

D

Deleted member

I did some research on the games Shovel Knight has had guest roles/cameos in, and I found something I wasn't expecting....

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There's always Nintendo's presentation, where a Shovel Knight character for Smash would be more likely to be announced. Plus, the leaker here is saying that he could be released anytime between one and two months, so it will be two months total before he can be proven wrong.
Hm, I have the sneaking suspicion that SK could still show up in the Nintendo part of the stream....
We just had the presentation, or rather, it was the event we just witnessed. Nintendo didn't say anything about having a stream or the presentation, they said that they were going to have the "Nindies@night event" where they talked about the games, gave out food and drinks, and brought in some special guests. Somewhere along the line the information got twisted and it became a stream where they made a big announcement.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It wasn't the amiibo itself that he said was different though. He said it was the packaging that was different. Which it's not because they confirmed on their post about the amiibo, that the packaging they showed was it.
Pretty sure he just said "it wasn't final". Didn't specify beyond that.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/08/shovel-knight-amiibo/

In case it wasn't obvious already, here's YCG's confirming that this is indeed their megaton announcement.
Something I noticed, but it said it would also work with Nintendo products, not just Yacht Club products.

This could help with people thinking this amiibo could just be used for Smash and not an entirely different one, but who knows. Hopefully it will work with Mario Maker now.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
In my honest opinion whoever gets in got in, and that's that. Arguments as to why they deserve that "slot" in the roster get tiring almost always, so I don't bother with supporting characters, because I don't want to deal with that stuff. Perhaps people do that to show how much they want their character in, so they argue.

If a character doesn't get in, it will all end up being in a saltfest to the point that the fanbase may threaten the developers for not doing that. It's kind of sad.

The same thing could happen again and again and again.
I also notice that fan-bases are often too generalized.

First it's a single guy that flames or threatens people,

then other Smash threads say that entire thread is bad,

then other websites say Smash fans in general are bad

then people who don't games say gamers in general are bad.

Generalizations suck, dude.

We dealt with that in the K. Rool thread not too long ago. A couple of over-invested folks got really angry and we have people making memes of all of K. Rool's fans acting like that, and on several occasions had our thread threatened to be locked. Same thing happened with the Ridley fanbase.

Also @ Soul. Soul. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to attack or anything. Often times we mean something else but word it in ways we didn't mean to. I'm guilty of that stuff a lot, as evidenced in this very thread.

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Pretty sure he just said "it wasn't final". Didn't specify beyond that.
Well I specifically remember them talking about it being a placeholder image for the packaging, so until someone goes back and finds the exact quote from what he said on here, there's no progress. And I'm working so... not taking the time to go through all that. haha

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well this has been fun.
Good night everyone (or whatever time it is for you)! Have fun speculating!:)
I think I'll be taking queues from my slender, fashion conscious ogre friend here. Think I'm going to come back to this tomorrow. All in all I don't think Smash will get anything noteworthy, but we'll see.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well I specifically remember them talking about it being a placeholder image for the packaging, so until someone goes back and finds the exact quote from what he said on here, there's no progress. And I'm working so... not taking the time to go through all that. haha
Just checked. He did in fact say packaging.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I also notice that fan-bases are often too generalized.

First it's a single guy that flames or threatens people,

then other Smash threads say that entire thread is bad,

then other websites say Smash fans in general are bad

then people who don't games say gamers in general are bad.

Generalizations suck, dude.

We dealt with that in the K. Rool thread not too long ago. A couple of over-invested folks got really angry and we have people making memes of all of K. Rool's fans acting like that, and on several occasions had our thread threatened to be locked. Same thing happened with the Ridley fanbase.

Also @ Soul. Soul. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to attack or anything. Often times we mean something else but word it in ways we didn't mean to. I'm guilty of that stuff a lot, as evidenced in this very thread.
A good amount of those fanbases still acted out due to their character not getting in. When the K. Rool costume was announced people went bonkers until they thought of his chances like Ridley fans did post Smash Direct. The Ridley fans didn't take the announcement of Ridley being a boss well at all. Lots of disappointment, but a lot less compared to the K. Rool fans on reddit when his costume was announced. The nasty and mean comments, the curses, it was ridiculous that all these people were so mad over a fictional character. I can understand devotion to a character, but some people take that concept WAY too far.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Just checked. He did in fact say packaging.
Thanks! So there we go, my point does actually stand then.

The amiibo having a different base is unrelated to the leak, because "different packaging" was specified. So the packaging being the same is more damning to the leak, than the base being different is boosts the credibility.

Wait, the packaging is the same?

I don't remember this before
When it was first leaked earlier today, Tama was talking about the leak and talked about his source and different packaging from this one. But this is the official packaging, so his source said the final packaging was different... but this is the final packaging.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Thanks! So there we go, my point does actually stand then.

The amiibo having a different base is unrelated to the leak, because "different packaging" was specified. So the packaging being the same is more damning to the leak, than the base being different is boosts the credibility.
fairly certain there was a bunch of speculation around the packaging lacking the offical nintendo seal....and it did....and it has it now

Soul.

A good amount of those fanbases still acted out due to their character not getting in. When the K. Rool costume was announced people went bonkers until they thought of his chances like Ridley fans did post Smash Direct. The Ridley fans didn't take the announcement of Ridley being a boss well at all. Lots of disappointment, but a lot less compared to the K. Rool fans on reddit when his costume was announced. The nasty and mean comments, the curses, it was ridiculous that all these people were so mad over a fictional character. I can understand devotion to a character, but some people take that concept WAY too far.
Exactly.
It's okay to be mad, but when you do things like this over a character getting in or not on a game, that's crossing the line.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really wish the fact that the ballot is a suggestions box and not a popularity contest sunk into more people's heads.

I think a lot of disappointment down the road could've been averted had it been made more apparent.
Perhaps rephrasing it so that people would treat it "nicer" would be better.

Perhaps a suggestion box where suggestion box where popularity plays a big role? I dunno.

Also, I asked this earlier but no one answered.

Do we have a date for plague of shadows?

And is there a stream or event that Nintendo is hosting?

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
fairly certain there was a bunch of speculation around the packaging lacking the offical nintendo seal....and it did....and it has it now
That was the "fake Smash amiibo" from a week ago. Tama was talking about THIS amiibo today on GAME.

Tama mentioned this packaging and said the final packaging would be different and that GAME had placeholder packaging. It doesn't. GAME had the final packaging.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Perhaps a suggestion box where suggestion box where popularity plays a big role? I dunno.

Nope, no date on Plague of Shadows. But I would guess Next month almost 100%.

Also the only thing Nintendo announced is maintenance on their website for like the 31st or something.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
With Shovel Knight getting an amiibo.
You better believe Inafune is considering this.

I don't believe so, no.

And I'm still confused as to whether or not Nintendo IS streaming something...

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

The expansion is done and submitted to companies like Nintendo already. They're just waiting to hear back from all of them on a single date.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
So the shovel knight amiibo was in the works since last year, huh? I wonder when last year, though. Unless I missed a source, we don't know if it was in the works before or after smash Wii U was released.

Do we even know who approached whom and with what, aside from the amiibo, in mind? There's a bunch of unanswered questions. I still find it odd that Shovel is getting an amiibo, but I'll wait and see what happens.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He.. Expressed disappointment in those fans.

He just reminded people not to generalize...

And you just generalized....

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

I can answer the first one at least.

No, there isn't.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm getting very, VERY tired of "so and so doesn't DESERVE to be in Smash" arguments.
Sakurai is not an idiot.

No exact date for Plauge of Shadows, just "Very Soon".
And I have no idea.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Again, there are far more K. Rool fans than those on Reddit or Smashboards that go out of their way to be upset. People who happened to be K. Rool fans went WAY too far, I agree entirely with you (stuff like this is uncalled for, really, and makes everyone in the fanbase look bad), but no fanbase did this. That's too generalizing. Because you have fans like this in every fanbase.

I know little of reddit's posters, but Smashboards fans usually keep their own in check.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
thats

thats

THATS A ****ING SMASH STAND, YO.
Yes but those were "concepts" for this amiibo. Those aren't designs for a future amiibo. They probably used the Smash Bros stand because they want him in Smash. Doesn't confirm anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
WITNESS MY STAND, BUTT BUTT!!
With Shovel Knight getting an amiibo.
You better believe Inafune is considering this.

I don't believe so, no.

And I'm still confused as to whether or not Nintendo IS streaming something...
Only Inafune will have a 5 grand kickstarter for it and only make 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom