• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm definitely anticipating further input, many others are as well. Gonna go ahead and say "thanks" for being one of the few to be on top of these things.

As much as I'd love to put this in the K. Rool thread to calm a certain subset of our regular posters (as in, this is not some sudden thing that's coming in to swat K. Rool and this was made long before the ballot, and hence this has nothing to do with his ballot results) but any Shovel Knight and Amiibo talk is banned there for being off topic.

Any Kutthroats reading this, TAKE NOTE. Still, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn is confident that Shovel Knight will actually be a character in Smash, and if he's not confirmed in the coming days then Tamaki covered his rear end saying "oh it could be anywhere in the next couple months" which I hate the sound of. I want closure, damnit.
It could be a potential cop-out, but like I mentioned before his original source was not tied to the amiibo information. This information was revealed before the SK amiibo was leaked (@ Neo Zero Neo Zero can also back me up), so at least in that sense it's not cop-out. Tamaki has been unclear/ provided his own speculation about some of the things on what he said in public which explains a lot of the confusion.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd dislike the idea of Shovel Knight being pre-ballot a lot less than him being ballot.

It rubs me the wrong way that a character with one game, not released in Japan, and sold 700k across multiple consoles (which up to this point had more content than the Wii U version, which is now no longer true due to the amiibo functionality) can come in and get in over long standing Nintendo characters.

All the while K. Rool and Inklings (I know they are recent, but they are the popular new kids in town being an in house EAD IP that sold gangbusters (by Wii U standards) and revitalized life into a dying system) get stuck with a frickin' mii costume.
Where have I heard this before?
Ridley.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's a suggestions box, not a poll.
My point still stands.

And every time I hear "it's a suggestion box" I die a little inside. Be it true or not. Makes me wonder why we even have it in the first place if that's the case.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'd dislike the idea of Shovel Knight being pre-ballot a lot less than him being ballot.

It rubs me the wrong way that a character with one game, not released in Japan, and sold 700k across multiple consoles (which up to this point had more content than the Wii U version, which is now no longer true due to the amiibo functionality) can come in and get in over long standing Nintendo characters.

All the while K. Rool and Inklings (I know they are recent, but they are the popular new kids in town being an in house EAD IP that sold gangbusters (by Wii U standards) and revitalized life into a dying system) get stuck with a frickin' mii costume.
I'm not a believer in this rumor but SK is a bigger name than a lot of the other "top contenders." Maybe not to Nintendo, but to gaming in general.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My point still stands.

And every time I hear "it's a suggestion box" I die a little inside. Be it true or not. Makes me wonder why we even have it in the first place if that's the case.
Because the suggestions are still from their fans?

Why please only the popular kids?

It's a company. Not high school.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So coop is locked behind an amiibo?
That sucks considering it's ****ing amiibo.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
As much as I'd love to put this in the K. Rool thread to calm a certain subset of our regular posters (as in, this is not some sudden thing that's coming in to swat K. Rool and this was made long before the ballot, and hence this has nothing to do with his ballot results) but any Shovel Knight and Amiibo talk is banned there for being off topic.
The Shovel Knight amiibo having been in development for a year does not mean Shovel Knight is pre-ballot. The Shovel Knight amiibo that was confirmed is not part of the Smash Bros series; it is its own thing, like the Chibi-Robo one. If Shovel Knight is truly in Smash, he will undoubtedly get a proper Smash amiibo alongside it down the road, much like how Mario has a Smash amiibo and a non-Smash one.

If the rumors are true, Shovel Knight is a ballot character.

My point still stands.

Just because you're not getting what you want doesn't make it a pointless endeavor. There are people out there who want Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shovel Knight is incredibly niche. He isn't big in the gaming world.

We are revising history. Stop. Doing. That. Please.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
This is going to haunt me until Smash DLC is done or until Butt Butt is revealed
This is too much, Yacht Club games
This is too much

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Where have I heard this before?
Ridley.

Also a really nice point by Burb.
I think this is more of what I'm afraid of than anything. Us becoming the new Ridley fan base and having the same level of mocking. You need to realize a lot of these people have been around since Melee asking for this reptile (K. Rool). So to have it all be for nothing, several times in a row, is going to irritate some people no matter how much we'd all like to be happy for any character that gets into Smash. Hence the dysfunction earlier in the thread even though we had mods issuing warnings and the posters themselves managing to calm it all down and get back to normal.

I swear this wild Smash ride is bad for my mental health.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Does anyone else think this is a pretty massive coincidence that the Smash Bros. Leak and the Amiibo Leak happened basically on the same day? It seems to legitimize it a bit.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My point still stands.

So that way Sakurai and the team can gauge popularity of possible characters they have in mind, and come up with new fresh ideas for characters they may not have considered. Not so the loudest fanbase can win.

As one of my teachers recently told me, "Being loud isn't going to get you anything."
I think this is more of what I'm afraid of than anything. Us becoming the new Ridley fan base and having the same level of mocking. You need to realize a lot of these people have been around since Melee asking for this reptile (K. Rool). So to have it all be for nothing, several times in a row, is going to irritate some people no matter how much we'd all like to be happy for any character that gets into Smash. Hence the dysfunction earlier in the thread even though we had mods issuing warnings and the posters themselves managing to calm it all down and get back to normal.

I swear this wild Smash ride is bad for my mental health.
If it's bad for your health then it's not worth it. I've made several points of saying it but:
-Don't think a character is a shoe-in, or a character can't get in. You're setting yourself up for disappointment and anger.
-Don't hate on other characters because they're not what you want.

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Um.. wait doesn't this amiibo actually hurt the leak? (even though people are saying the amiibo "doesn't relate to the leak") but I recall someone (was it Tama? Too lazy to go back) saying the packaging is not the same one they saw. Or was that someone referring to the "Smash Bros Amiibo". I'm pretty sure someone just said that today though... that the image on GAME was still placeholder. But Yacht Club just confirmed that's what the packaging will look like.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This just makes me want more third party amiibo honestly.

Especially Yooka-Laylee.
I'd find it hilarious if Playtonic and Yacht Club Games were bought by Nintendo and both Yooka Laylee and Butt Butt get in.
Of course, if they were owned by Nintendo, nobody would question their inclusion at all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It'll actually be funny if an indie company can keep the stock available for their amiibo better than giant company mainly responsible for the brand.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If it's bad for your health then it's not worth it. I've made several points of saying it but:
-Don't think a character is a shoe-in, or a character can't get in. You're setting yourself up for disappointment
-Don't hate on other characters because they're not what you want.
Alright, it's not really all that bad for my mental health, it was mostly a joke made in poor taste.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The Shovel Knight amiibo having been in development for a year does not mean Shovel Knight is pre-ballot. The Shovel Knight amiibo that was confirmed is not part of the Smash Bros series; it is its own thing, like the Chibi-Robo one. If Shovel Knight is truly in Smash, he will undoubtedly get a proper Smash amiibo alongside it down the road, much like how Mario has a Smash amiibo and a non-Smash one.

If the rumors are true, Shovel Knight is a ballot character.
I think the idea is that, for Shovel Knight to be getting this attention from Nintendo and to have this in development for a year now, people are thinking it's likely that the decision to make Shovel Knight DLC would've been made a while back. Not necessarily something I agree with, but Shovel Knight being in its own Amiibo line doesn't change what people are thinking re: it being pre-ballot.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It'll actually be funny if an indie company can keep the stock available for their amiibo better than giant company mainly responsible for the brand.
Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised. Because while big game corporations have the money and power, it's the indies that actually have their **** together and know what's up.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Maybe not.
Apparently Yacht Club Games is producing the amiibo? I'm sure they'd handle making them way better than Nintendo, especially in the US.
You can't really blame Nintendo for the ****ty tactics retailers pull with amiibos though, once they send out the stock, they have no control over how the retailers sell their products

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
At first the idea of locking something as big as Co-Op behind an amiibo sounds like the dumbest thing ever.

Because it's practically legendary at this point of how rare it is to find amiibo past the first wave.

Then I realized that this is all on Yacht Club Games, so they will most likely do more efficient stocking of shelves than Nintendo and it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

D

Deleted member

Questions (non-Smash related) this amiibo has got me to think of:

1. What new games does Yacht Club have in store for the amiibo to work with?
2. Will Nintendo use the amiibo in other games with amiibo compatibility now?
3. Is this just the first in a whole line of Shovel Knight amiibo? Will we see Plague Knight? Shield Knight? Black Knight? etc.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Questions (non-Smash related) this amiibo has got me to think of:

1. What new games does Yacht Club have in store for the amiibo to work with?
2. Will Nintendo use the amiibo in other games with amiibo compatibility now?
3. Is this just the first in a whole line of Shovel Knight amiibo? Will we see Plague Knight? Shield Knight? Black Knight? etc.
the real questions being asked

Burb

The Absolute Worst
<insert response to me post here>
Ah, I missed that post and assumed it was directed towards me since it was right below the debate I'm having over SK. :laugh:

I think the idea is that, for Shovel Knight to be getting this attention from Nintendo and to have this in development for a year now, people are thinking it's likely that the decision to make Shovel Knight DLC would've been made a while back. Not necessarily something I agree with, but Shovel Knight being in its own Amiibo line doesn't change what people are thinking re: it being pre-ballot.
No, it most definitely does.

The two are not connected, and there's no reason to believe that the decision to make a SK amiibo and the decision to make SK Smash DLC happened simultaneously. On the contrary: Smash DLC wasn't even being planned last year according to Sakurai. It's all been post-launch. Not to mention Yacht asking people to vote for SK. If they knew he was coming anyway, why would they have said anything? Nobody would've found it suspicious that they kept their mouths shut.

It's pretty clear to me that the amiibo was done completely separately.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That opening by Damon is strange. However I'm going to be, someone please tag me if anything develops!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm not entirely sure if it will be the case, but I'm pretty confident that they will have Shovel Knight unlock a sprite of himself in Super Mario Maker since Shovel Knight is already in sprite form anyway. Not to mention if this character has been being worked on for over a year, Nintendo could have easily prepared their more general games like Hyrule Warriors for this particular amiibo.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
My point still stands.

Yeah but it literally is a suggestions box. It's not a debate on if it's true or not. It's literally "give us your ideas, maybe we'll like your idea and put it in Smash Bros"

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
If Tama is saying its post ballot, either he's making an assumption or a different source told him. His primary source would have no way to know that info.

Soul.

Things like this are why I can't comment much on speculation.
Outcome's always **** tier. Why.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Man...I just wanna say tonight was really fun. The speculation alone takes me back to when Smash Bros. 4 was announced....Good times man, the rumors and all were so fun.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , are you being serious? Shovel Knight (the game) right now has generated more discussion and whatnot than games like Golden Sun or whatever. I'm not bashing and I don't want to bring up the "muh relevance" argument... but if you look outside of Smashboards and actually read about the games that people are talking about, then yeah.

That's what I meant by him being a "bigger name," and I don't believe that to be revisionist history. I'm guessing you saw it as an attack on K. Rool or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom