• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Questions (non-Smash related) this amiibo has got me to think of:

1. What new games does Yacht Club have in store for the amiibo to work with?
2. Will Nintendo use the amiibo in other games with amiibo compatibility now?
3. Is this just the first in a whole line of Shovel Knight amiibo? Will we see Plague Knight? Shield Knight? Black Knight? etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if we got Butt Buttin Mario Maker.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, it most definitely does.

The two are not connected, and there's no reason to believe that the decision to make a SK amiibo and the decision to make SK Smash DLC happened simultaneously. On the contrary: Smash DLC wasn't even being planned last year according to Sakurai. It's all been post-launch.

It's pretty clear to me that the amiibo was done completely separately.
As I said, it's not logic I agree with. I'm with you. I was just saying that it wasn't that people thought the Shovel Knight Amiibo we see now would be for Smash as well should Shovel Knight be DLC.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I don't know why Shovel Knight even needs a Smash series amiibo to work with Smash. Couldn't they just use this particular amiibo to store a hypothetical Shovel Knight character data on it? Even if that means overwriting anything related to Shovel Knight's game on it. Sure, this amiibo likely won't match any official Smash render but it seems strange that they'd make TWO amiibo for Shovel Knight.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , are you being serious? Shovel Knight (the game) right now has generated more discussion and whatnot than games like Golden Sun or whatever. I'm not bashing and I don't want to bring up the "muh relevance" argument... but if you look outside of Smashboards and actually read about the games that people are talking about, then yeah.

That's what I meant by him being a "bigger name," and I don't believe that to be revisionist history. I'm guessing you saw it as an attack on K. Rool or something.
While I'm not going to comment on Golden Sun vs Shovel Knight, I do have to say.....

....Of all the series the Smash community exaggerates the importance of, Golden Sun is unquestionably the most consistently overrated. It was never anything huge or major.

I don't know why Shovel Knight even needs a Smash series amiibo to work with Smash. Couldn't they just use this particular amiibo to store a hypothetical Shovel Knight character data on it? Even if that means overwriting anything related to Shovel Knight's game on it. Sure, this amiibo likely won't match any official Smash render but it seems strange that they'd make TWO amiibo for Shovel Knight.
If he's in Smash, I'm certain the SK amiibo will work just the same. Every other character with multiple different amiibo does, after all.

It's for the sake of completion, though. Every character in Smash has an amiibo. SK shouldn't be an exception to that.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , are you being serious? Shovel Knight (the game) right now has generated more discussion and whatnot than games like Golden Sun or whatever. I'm not bashing and I don't want to bring up the "muh relevance" argument... but if you look outside of Smashboards and actually read about the games that people are talking about, then yeah.

That's what I meant by him being a "bigger name," and I don't believe that to be revisionist history. I'm guessing you saw it as an attack on K. Rool or something.
I didn't take it as you bashing anyone. So no worries there.

But your points are irrelevant. a series getting tons of discussion doesn't mean much of anything. I'm looking at the sales and overall impact.

Yeah, he's a breakout indie but at this point in time that's all he is.

Shovel Knight isn't big unless you're throwing him in the tiny pond that is indies.

When Shovel Knight makes millions, then he'll be big in the gaming world. Until then, he the Ness of indies. Beloved and more well known than one would think, but still very niche.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
While I'm not going to comment on Golden Sun vs Shovel Knight, I do have to say.....

....Of all the series the Smash exaggerates the importance of, Golden Sun is unquestionably the most consistently overrated. It was never anything huge or major.
Perhaps, but to be fair it did sell millions.

Plus series like Mother, F-Zero, Xenoblade and even things like Fire Emblem aren't that big either and they got in just fine. :p

I agree in the big scheme of things Golden Sun is puny, but as far series for Smash, Golden Sun is pretty notable.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Guys! How do we know that were getting more than one ballot character? Can I get a source?
Well, I just remember Sakurai stating somewhere that there were going to be "fan service for more characters for Smash DLC". Stateing more then just one character being done.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The thought that one character is more deserving then others based on fanmade requisites is something I will never understand. I can understand wanting a character. I REALLY wanted Megaman, Shulk, and Palutena. I got lucky, but if I hadn't? I would've bought the game and enjoyed it all the same, because all the characters we got in this game are new and unique. They all bring something new to the table, and it's so fun to play as them. Compared to Brawl or Melee, where all the fighters are kind of the same, Smash 4 has so much more color and life to it.

We try to predict Sakurai, and we've never come close. Did anyone expect Greninja? Wii Fit Trainer? Villager? Roy? Ryu? Duck Hunt Dog? He's thrown us for a loop so many times we can barely count it, and for us to then go and say that x character is likely because abc reasons is pure speculation, and people take it as fact. And the ballot made everything more complicated when Sakurai said it was all fanservice and it devolved into a screaming match between the remaining character fanbases to see who could make the most noise and get their character into Smash. (We've all seen fans of x character shamelessly plug a character here, some of us are those people. H***, I'll even admit I'm guilty of this with Phoenix Wright) Some people let their bias towards a character narrow their vision, to the point where any other character is enough to get into a tizzy and curse out Nintendo. I'll admit I had a lot of bias back in the day. I used to hate Rosalina because I thought it could only be her or Palutena. Once I saw her, and how unique she was, I loved her character, and while I don't play her, she's a really cool character. When I vehemently supported Shulk, I still took time to research why he was likely, what he'd bring to Smash, and came to terms that I'd still enjoy the game without him in it. Like I said earlier, I got lucky.

Can anyone please tell me why people think characters take up predetermined "slots" or that x character deserves to get in over y character? Because I don't understand it at all.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Guys! How do we know that were getting more than one ballot character? Can I get a source?
This is mainly going off of two things:

Sakurai mentioned there are "several" characters left. Definitions being either "more than one" or "more than two but not many" so take that as you will

And also the notion that Roy and Ryu were the last of the Pre-Ballot DLC which makes sense considering we haven't had anything in a long time beyond stages, tourny, and Mii Costumes with no hint of anything for the future.

Nothing concrete but it's highly suggested there will be multiple ballot characters.

Edit: And frankly, if Shovel Knight IS INDEED Ballot DLC, then who the hell knows who the other ones will be. Shovel Knight's presence on the roster shakes up a lot of pre-conceived notions of what it takes to be DLC. It could literally be anyone. I just hope it's a certain reptilian king with a nasty eye tick.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Well, I just remember Sakurai stating somewhere that there were going to be "fan service for more characters for Smash DLC". Stateing more then just one character being done.
Common sense.

Plus good on' Tama.
Well, this isnt going to fly with my friend. :p They demand evidence and I need some to prove them wrong :rolleyes:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Perhaps, but to be fair it did sell millions.

Plus series like Mother, F-Zero, Xenoblade and even things like Fire Emblem aren't that big either and they got in just fine. :p

I agree in the big scheme of things Golden Sun is puny, but as far series for Smash, Golden Sun is pretty notable.
If it were as noteworthy as you seem to think, I believe we would've gotten more than some music tracks and a one-game-only Assist Trophy. There's no reason to believe Isaac was even considered for Smash.

While you might put him on the same pedestal as the likes of Mother, F-Zero, and Xenoblade........it seems like Mr. Sakurai thinks of it more on the level of Sins & Punishment, Daigasso! Band Brothers, and Dillon's Rolling Western. Possibly even lower since Saki made it to SSB4 and Barbara got a trophy and Mii hat.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
The thought that one character is more deserving then others based on fanmade requisites is something I will never understand. I can understand wanting a character. I REALLY wanted Megaman, Shulk, and Palutena. I got lucky, but if I hadn't? I would've bought the game and enjoyed it all the same, because all the characters we got in this game are new and unique. They all bring something new to the table, and it's so fun to play as them. Compared to Brawl or Melee, where all the fighters are kind of the same, Smash 4 has so much more color and life to it.

We try to predict Sakurai, and we've never come close. Did anyone expect Greninja? Wii Fit Trainer? Villager? Roy? Ryu? Duck Hunt Dog? He's thrown us for a loop so many times we can barely count it, and for us to then go and say that x character is likely because abc reasons is pure speculation, and people take it as fact. And the ballot made everything more complicated when Sakurai said it was all fanservice and it devolved into a screaming match between the remaining character fanbases to see who could make the most noise and get their character into Smash. (We've all seen fans of x character shamelessly plug a character here, some of us are those people. H***, I'll even admit I'm guilty of this with Phoenix Wright) Some people let their bias towards a character narrow their vision, to the point where any other character is enough to get into a tizzy and curse out Nintendo. I'll admit I had a lot of bias back in the day. I used to hate Rosalina because I thought it could only be her or Palutena. Once I saw her, and how unique she was, I loved her character, and while I don't play her, she's a really cool character. When I vehemently supported Shulk, I still took time to research why he was likely, what he'd bring to Smash, and came to terms that I'd still enjoy the game without him in it. Like I said earlier, I got lucky.

Can anyone please tell me why people think characters take up predetermined "slots" or that x character deserves to get in over y character? Because I don't understand it at all.
While I do agree for the most part of what you said, I have one question :
Why the hell did you thought it was Rosalina or Palutena?:crazy:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm going to sleep extremely disappointed.

I guess that was my fault.
There's always Nintendo's presentation, where a Shovel Knight character for Smash would be more likely to be announced. Plus, the leaker here is saying that he could be released anytime between one and two months, so it will be two months total before he can be proven wrong.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/08/shovel-knight-amiibo/

In case it wasn't obvious already, here's YCG's confirming that this is indeed their megaton announcement.
Interesting.

Being a character in Smash would likely be more megaton than this, so if this really is their megaton announcement then perhaps Shovel Knight won't be revealed at PAX after all. Although there is still the Ballot that, you know, lasts until October.

Honestly, I said it once I'll say it again, if we get any character at PAX I think it will be Wolf. Shovel Knight apparently has 1-2 months to be revealed along with every other ballot contender hoping for a spot.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
While I do agree for the most part of what you said, I have one question :
Why the hell did you thought it was Rosalina or Palutena?:crazy:
They're both goddesses, both kinda have the same godly powers, I couldn't come up with a unique moveset for either.

Those were dark times.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I didn't take it as you bashing anyone. So no worries there.

But your points are irrelevant. a series getting tons of discussion doesn't mean much of anything. I'm looking at the sales and overall impact.
Then we're on different pages, cause I'm talking about discussion, reception and the like, which in my opinion has more impact than sales. I suppose I'll stop there because it wasn't my intention to make this a contest or hate on another game.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
some may not like this, but shovel knight not in smash? thank goodness. i rather have clones than indie characters in smash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If it were as noteworthy as you seem to think, I believe we would've gotten more than some music tracks and a one-game-only Assist Trophy. There's no reason to believe Isaac was even considered for Smash.

While you might put him on the same pedestal as the likes of Mother, F-Zero, and Xenoblade........it seems like Mr. Sakurai thinks of it more on the level of Sins & Punishment, Daigasso! Band Brothers, and Dillon's Rolling Western. Possibly even lower since Saki made it to SSB4 and Barbara got a trophy and Mii hat.
That's assuming quite a lot Burb. I never even said Isaac was considered for Smash even though I'm sure he was at least considered.

And things can change. Little Mac used to be at that level and we frankly have no idea why Isaac was removed. Could be anything.

And what the hell man, what's with this attitude?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
some may not like this, but shovel knight not in smash? thank goodness. i rather have clones than indie characters in smash.
Why?

Tell me why you believe this, and tell me why you are so vehemently opposed to the idea.
That's assuming quite a lot Burb. I never even said Isaac was considered for Smash even though I'm sure he was at least considered.

And things can change. Little Mac used to be at that level and we frankly have no idea why Isaac was removed. Could be anything.

Wasn't Isaac removed due to the fact that the Gust Bellows does his job better?

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
They're both goddesses, both kinda have the same godly powers, I couldn't come up with a unique moveset for either.

Those were dark times.
Isn't Rosalina more of a cosmic guardian? I see where your coming from thought, even if I find this a bit silly to be honest:chuckle:.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
To be fair, that was indeed YCG's megaton announcement. If SK is in Smash though, that's not an announcement that they can make, that would have to be Nintendo's

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Guys, the amiibo shown and the one in the video are different, look here: https://twitter.com/garfep/status/637127203994529792

So the amiibo, while slight changes, WAS NOT THE FINAL ONE LIKE THE LEAK SAID.

That's not a part he got wrong in my book.

Here's a comparison:

Different color changes, and less detail on the chest plate, it seems.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why?

Tell me why you believe this, and tell me why you are so vehemently opposed to the idea.

Wasn't Isaac removed due to the fact that the Gust Bellows does his job better?
We don't know anything about Isaac's removal.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
@PushDustIn You said that the main source behind the Shovel Knight in Smash leak is an individual that has been proven as a legitimate source of information. I'm guessing they have leaked stuff before? If so, do you know for a 100% fact that that person did indeed inform Tamaki of this information, like did Tamaki actually prove to you that he did?

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Given that he made it into SSB4 as a playable character, all Little Mac needed to have was a return.

You know what other series got a new game between Brawl and SSB4? Golden Sun. And we now have less Golden Sun content than before. It's only music now.

I don't have an "attitude", I just think it's kinda silly to justify the overinflated sense of value the Smash community tends to have for Golden Sun. Even among the niche series with playable representation, it's still niche. Xenoblade is probably the only one its on par with, and that's likely due to how horribly NOA treated it.

Soul.

In my honest opinion whoever gets in got in, and that's that. Arguments as to why they deserve that "slot" in the roster get tiring almost always, so I don't bother with supporting characters, because I don't want to deal with that stuff. Perhaps people do that to show how much they want their character in, so they argue.

If a character doesn't get in, it will all end up being in a saltfest to the point that the fanbase may threaten the developers for not doing that. It's kind of sad.

The same thing could happen again and again and again.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Guys, the amiibo shown and the one in the video are different, look here: https://twitter.com/garfep/status/637127203994529792

So the amiibo, while slight changes, WAS NOT THE FINAL ONE LIKE THE LEAK SAID.

That's not a part he got wrong in my book.

Here's a comparison:

Different color changes, and less detail on the chest plate, it seems.
Wow they are different. This actually boosts the credibility of the leak a lot.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@PushDustIn You said that the main source behind the Shovel Knight in Smash leak is an individual that has been proven as a legitimate source of information. I'm guessing they have leaked stuff before? If so, do you know for a 100% fact that that person did indeed inform Tamaki of this information, like did Tamaki actually prove to you that he did?
The credentials and nature of the info leaked in the past and the confidentials we were told match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom