• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You can argue it's both. Relevancy is the biggest factor against inclusion. If they had plans to use the character (which they might because of the ballot), then Sakurai would be more open to using him. K. Rool hasn't been used in any of the Donkey Kong Country Return games. He's no longer relevant. His last major appearance (besides trophies in Smash) was Mario Sluggers in 2008...6-7 years ago.
Funny thing Smash usually goes by recency since Melee. Most designs and character choices aside from retro revival characters are from recent times and even from design. It usually goes from their last appearance in a recent game after the release of the last Smash game or in between where it forgot them.

2002-2007
:pt:(Fire Red/Leaf Green)
:dedede::metaknight:(Nightmare in Dreamland, Squeak Squad, Amazing Mirror and Air Ride)
:diddy:(Barrel Blast, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Donkey Konga, Diddy Kong Racing DS)
:ike:(Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn)
:lucario:(Generation 4)
:lucas:(Mother 3)
:olimar:(Pikmin 1&2)
:toonlink:(Wind Waker, Minish Cap, 4 Swords Adventures, Phantom Hourglass)
:wario:(Wario Land 4, Wario World and the beginning of the WarioWare series)
:wolf:(Star Fox Assault and Command)
:zerosuitsamus:(Zero Mission and Prime 1&2)

2009-2013
:4bowserjr::rosalina:(Mario Galaxy 1/2 & NSMB series)
:4palutena::4darkpit:(Kid Icarus Uprising)
:4greninja:(Generation 6)
:4littlemac:(Punch Out Wii)
:4robinm::4lucina:(Awakening)
:4villager:(New Leaf & the DS/Wii titles)
:4shulk:(Xenoblade Chronicles)
:4wiifit: (Wii Fit, Plus and U)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Sadly many people don't see it. Also, Hiiiiiiii~
Yo~ ;3

(Sees Title)
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty excited for Super Mario Maker, but I don't think I'll get it until Christmas.
I'm gonna get it and make a 1:1 replica of the first stage in Kid Icarus.

It will be a labour of blood and tears.

My Pit amiibo needs the exercise.

Floor ice-cream and divine nectar has made him dull and doughy, I tell ya!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Funny thing Smash usually goes by recency since Melee. Most designs and character choices aside from retro revival characters are from recent times and even from design. It usually goes from their last appearance in a recent game after the release of the last Smash game or in between where it forgot them.

2002-2007
:pt:(Fire Red/Leaf Green)
:dedede::metaknight:(Nightmare in Dreamland, Squeak Squad, Amazing Mirror and Air Ride)
:diddy:(Barrel Blast, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Donkey Konga, Diddy Kong Racing DS)
:ike:(Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn)
:lucario:(Generation 4)
:lucas:(Mother 3)
:olimar:(Pikmin 1&2)
:toonlink:(Wind Waker, Minish Cap, 4 Swords Adventures, Phantom Hourglass)
:wario:(Wario Land 4, Wario World and the beginning of the WarioWare series)
:wolf:(Star Fox Assault and Command)
:zerosuitsamus:(Zero Mission and Prime 1&2)

2009-2013
:4bowserjr::rosalina:(Mario Galaxy 1/2 & NSMB series)
:4palutena::4darkpit:(Kid Icarus Uprising)
:4greninja:(Generation 6)
:4littlemac:(Punch Out Wii)
:4robinm::4lucina:(Awakening)
:4villager:(New Leaf & the DS/Wii titles)
:4shulk:(Xenoblade Chronicles)
:4wiifit: (Wii Fit, Plus and U)
This is why I think Isaac has no recent problems. 2010 isn't that long ago. Especially if Little Mac is still considered recently with his 2009 game.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
No Relevancy means a character stops being important or notable.

There are very few cases of that.

Regency is actually what you're looking for.

Or "freshness" maybe.

Not disagreeing with your point but I just want people to use the right words.
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything...but if you are not disagreeing with my point then you can see how I'm using the word correctly. I know the difference between recency and relevancy. I meant relevancy.

relevant - "having direct bearing on the matter in hand; pertinent" (emphasis mine)
recency - "the quality or state of being recent."

K. Rool is not relevant to modern DK titles. He is nowhere to be seen in the Donkey Kong Country Return series. You can say it's a matter of recency, but it's also a matter of relevancy. If he was still relevant then he would have been the main antagonist for the Donkey Kong Country Return games. Like I stated in my previous post, his last official game appearance was a Mario baseball game 7 years ago. He's had no impact on the Donkey Kong series for a long time. He's becoming less relevant, because of his lack of recent appearances.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yo~ ;3

I'm gonna get it and make a 1:1 replica of the first stage in Kid Icarus.

It will be a labour of blood and tears.

My Pit amiibo needs the exercise.

Floor ice-cream and divine nectar has made him dull and doughy, I tell ya!
Winny. Your Pit amiibo can't be fat from Floor Ic Cream. Why? FLOOR ICE CREAM GIVES YOU HEALTH!
This is why I think Isaac has no recent problems. 2010 isn't that long ago. Especially if Little Mac is still considered recently with his 2009 game.
That reminds me, I had a dream a while back about Isaac being DLC, he was his chibi sprite and attacked by flopping around and smacking people with speech bubbles. The Isaac thread laughed

Last edited:

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
That reminds me, I had a dream a while back about Isaac being DLC, he was his chibi sprite and attacked by flopping around and smacking people with speech bubbles. The Isaac thread laughed
You dreamt about Smash Bros. DLC? lol

you guys are way more into this than me, like wow I don't even feel worthy to call myself a fan of the game lmao

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Same with Sin & Punishment since it has a 2010 release. It does hurt K. Rool a lot but not much but man does it hurt Advance Wars because Days of Ruin was I think 2008.

Plus my whole concept works for Smash 5/NX considering it'll probably go by 2015-20XX(2019 at the earliest) and the most recent games released by then Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Fire Emblem Fates, Codename Steam, Star Fox Zero, Hyrule Warriors and future games. I hate it as well since Wonderful 101 is out of that gap and the Smash Ballot is the last hope they have

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

you guys take this stuff a lot more seriously than me, like wow I don't even feel worthy to call myself a fan of the game lmao
This the only the second time I had a dream about videi games. The other one was me playing Sonic Heroes, but the Start button stopped workingafter I paused but the enemies were still attacking me

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
No Relevancy means a character stops being important or notable.

There are very few cases of that.

Regency is actually what you're looking for.

Or "freshness" maybe.

Not disagreeing with your point but I just want people to use the right words.
Inklings confirmed

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

you guys take this stuff a lot more seriously than me, like wow I don't even feel worthy to call myself a fan of the game lmao
Well, DLC does have everyone speculating like madmen, of course someone would dream about it.

You can be a fan and not care for some of it's more serious aspects. I only truly care for two characters in regards to DLC anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything...but if you are not disagreeing with my point then you can see how I'm using the word correctly. I know the difference between recency and relevancy. I meant relevancy.

relevant - "having direct bearing on the matter in hand; pertinent" (emphasis mine)
recency - "the quality or state of being recent."

K. Rool is not relevant to modern DK titles. He is nowhere to be seen in the Donkey Kong Country Return series. You can say it's a matter of recency, but it's also a matter of relevancy. If he was still relevant then he would have been the main antagonist for the Donkey Kong Country Return games. Like I stated in my previous post, his last official game appearance was a Mario baseball game 7 years ago. He's had no impact on the Donkey Kong series for a long time. He's becoming less relevant, because of his lack of recent appearances.
Ah see this is where our viewpoint differs.

You're specifically talking about modern DK.

I'm just talking about DK in general which is my basic mindset for these things.

And Push, I did not mean it any negative way and even agree with your basic point even if I argued semantics. Back off bro.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
So here are some questions for you!

1. Are you excited for it?
2. Are you gonna buy it?
3. Any neat ideas for stages?
4. Any DLC you want?
5. If you could add five more Nintendo themed costumes, what would they be? Lucas, Roy and Ryu do not count. Let's just assume they are there anyways! :4larry:
1. VERRY EXCITEDDD
2. not even a question
3. Oh I don't know:4sonic::smirk:
4. SMB2 and SML (in the game's original colors) would be pretty interesting imo
5. Iwata, Balloon Fighter, Reggie, Miyamoto, and Chibi-Robo. For sure.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He's nowhere near becoming less relevant, unless strictly speaking of the new games only, but to the franchise as a whole, he is very important. He and the Kremlings were a large part of the original DKC trilogy, and the new games simply would not be what they are today without them. The franchise may have even died off completely like it almost did once. Saying he has no relevance is ignoring a large part of the series, which is currently a far larger percentage (10+ games iirc compared to the three Retro titles).

Just because it's older doesn't make it any less relevant, which is where the distinction is made with recency.

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
Well, DLC does have everyone speculating like madmen, of course someone would dream about it.

You can be a fan and not care for some of it's more serious aspects. I only truly care for two characters in regards to DLC anyway.
Perhaps it's just hard for me to relate seeing as I only recently got into Smash Bros. I wasn't around for all the major speculation that I've heard you guys mentioning.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Perhaps it's just hard for me to relate seeing as I only recently got into Smash Bros. I wasn't around for all the major speculation that I've heard you guys mentioning.
I wasn't around for about 3/4 of pre-release Sm4sh speculation myself, so I ultimately never cared for it apart from the prospect of Snake and Mewtwo returning.

And now I only care for Snake returning as DLC and possibly Sylux getting in, unlikely as hell as it is.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Same with Sin & Punishment since it has a 2010 release. It does hurt K. Rool a lot but not much but man does it hurt Advance Wars because Days of Ruin was I think 2008.

Plus my whole concept works for Smash 5/NX considering it'll probably go by 2015-20XX(2019 at the earliest) and the most recent games released by then Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Fire Emblem Fates, Codename Steam, Star Fox Zero, Hyrule Warriors and future games. I hate it as well since Wonderful 101 is out of that gap and the Smash Ballot is the last hope they have
If in any case it helps it. The First two Advance war games have been re-released on the E-shop.
And Days of Ruin was a premium status reward for Japan according to Wikipedia.
This does take me back though as I only played the first one on a compilation cart that had 100+ games on it.
It would be great if Andy or Sami got in. Seeing someone else from the GBA era would be great :)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You're not missing much.
Basically it was "countless arguing over opinions shoved as fact until proven otherwise" over and over again.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Days of Ruin was 2013 for Japan. Although it says enough about the series' popularity it took 5 years to be released in Japan.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Days of Ruin was 2013 for Japan. Although it says enough about the series' popularity it took 5 years to be released in Japan.
...Even though Advance Wars has not only gotten more games there. It originated as a Japanese only game.

Chrono.

I didn't really get into the Smash 4 speculation until the ESRB leak happened, before that I only vaguely knew of Gematsu.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I've had too many dreams related to Smash.

Once I dreamed I was an interpreter for Sakurai. I was really nervous that he would find out I data-mined the Wii U version, and get pissed at me, so I was sweating profusely. Afterwards, I got to ask him why gnomes made the "floating islands" (stages) in Smash 64.

Though recently I've felt kind of burnt out of speculation/ research. With no new information it's gotten very tiresome....Lots of arguments that go in circles that can't be decided one way or the other. In some ways, I'm looking forward to the end of Smash DLC. There's still a lot of Smash information to translate and uncover, but IDK, I might start doing some other projects soon.

He's nowhere near becoming less relevant, unless strictly speaking of the new games only, but to the franchise as a whole, he is very important. He and the Kremlings were a large part of the original DKC trilogy, and the new games simply would not be what they are today without them. The franchise may have even died off completely like it almost did once. Saying he has no relevance is ignoring a large part of the series, which is currently a far larger percentage (10+ games iirc compared to the three Retro titles).

Just because it's older doesn't make it any less relevant, which is where the distinction is made with recency.
Again, nowhere did I say he was completely irrelevant to the DK series as a whole.

Here's what I said:
The one issue I believe that King K. Rool has is relevancy. He hasn’t been used all that recently, and while he’s popular with hardcore fans, the “silent majority” may be unaware of the King’s greatness.
He does have decreasing relevancy as the series has very clearly moved forward without him. In my mind he's exactly like Captain Syrup. Before her revival in Shake It!, she was quite a number of Wario games. Is Captain Syrup still important? Yes. Is she still relevant to the Wario series? Debatable. In my opinion, no.

Basically what our argument boils down to is this:

You are focusing on the first listed definition on Wiktionary, while I'm focusing on the second listed definition.
  1. Directly related, connected, or pertinent to a topic.
    His mother provided some relevant background information concerning his medical condition.
  2. Not out of date; current.
Also, Sakurai has said this:
Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority.
Source

D

Deleted member

I remember joining with the Smash Direct announcement
I started mainly with character threads but went to the leak threads as E3 got closer
Does anyone remember the CSS leak with the locks? With the infamous Ridley? That thing still gives me nightmares
I went to the leaks group when the thread got deleted(it was the E3 leaks thread after all) and, well, it seemed to be the only place where leaks were allowed(considering the leaks thread's history, this is not a surprise)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I've been apart of smash 4 speculation since the start but mostly on 4 chan,reddit and gamefaqs.I had no idea what smashboards was till like mid-july

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
D

Deleted member

Does anyone remember the CSS leak with the locks? With the infamous Ridley? That thing still gives me nightmares
In hindsight, I'm sure Ridley fans would rather have to put up with that if it means he's playable. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Quick question, is Hatsune Miku a video game character?
She seems to be an in-between of some sort.
She is a music software and virtual idol character. She isn't a video game character persay as her origins aren't a video game.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So I went to the Smash bros website after looking at that Nester image.
And I happened to notice something when I ended up on the US Site and not the UK one.
They have different explanations for the DLC.
For instance in terms of the fighter Bundle :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:they are as such:
US:
The first two waves of downloadable
fighters, available in one bundle! Also
includes the Suzaku Castle stage!
This downloadable content contains the following:
- Fighter (Mewtwo)
- Fighter (Ryu)
- Fighter (Lucas)
- Fighter (Roy)
- Stage (Suzaku Castle)
UK:
All of the downloadable fighters released
so far, available in one bundle! Also
includes the Suzaku Castle stage.
This add-on content includes:
- Fighters (Mewtwo, Ryu, Lucas, Roy)
- Stage (Suzaku Castle)
One specifically refers to these being the first two waves. Whilst the other says all of the downloadable fighters released so far.
Whilst this probably means nothing I just thought I would mention it. And this is also a way of me testing out the quote boxes.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Oh boy, I can't wait for people to start predicting Smash DLC will be shown at PAX.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Something to note about this though, it's an eshop title and seems to have only been a Platinum reward, so how much the Advance Wars fanbase in Japan like's it is completely unknown.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
So I went to the Smash bros website after looking at that Nester image.
And I happened to notice something when I ended up on the US Site and not the UK one.
They have different explanations for the DLC.
For instance in terms of the fighter Bundle :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:they are as such:
US:

UK:

One specifically refers to these being the first two waves. Whilst the other says all of the downloadable fighters released so far.
Whilst this probably means nothing I just thought I would mention it. And this is also a way of me testing out the quote boxes.
Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe's English translations for Smash have been different in just about everything.

I'm quite certain this means nothing. Heck, I don't even know how it could mean something. "All DLC fighters so far" and "Fighters from Waves 1 and 2" mean the exact same thing. All the fighters released so far are from Waves 1 and 2.

This joke is old as the last apex event.
Uhhh.....what joke?

It has happened at literally every gaming event with Nintendo involvement for the past two years.

My post wasn't intended to be a joke. It was a sarcastic jab at something that undoubtedly will happen at some point or another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom