• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Let's say Stylux is the most likely of all the Hunters in said game.

Still ranks him lower in Smash likelihood than Dark Samus and (ignoring the SAKURAI!!! factor) Ridley.

He'd better make an impression when/if he next appears.
I can buy Dark Samus, but you can't really ignore the Sakurai factor when he's the one calling the shots.

D

Deleted member

You have to look back a few pages in the character discussion sub forum but the support is there for those three.

I'll stop discussing here since we're just going to go around in circles.
Alerts called, they want a Mr. Mime named after you
1439425517261-626448728.jpg

And with that, I end this night
Remember, don't use drugs and don't start Ridley and Geno discussions
Stay in school and stay cool
This has been tired Zoroarking becoming crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Little Mac is the protagonist of a classic and popular first party series that has existed for over 25 years and has multiple games.
And he also didn't have a game in the past five years before Smash 4 was released. That point still stands. It's just an outright arbitrary reason to use against Sylux when they at least plan on using him again.

But eh, I don't feel like continuing this.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If we're going by "this character is old", Shulk was a four year old character as well from an arguably niche IP at the time. Pit didn't have a game for over a decade and only had two when he made it to Brawl.

Hell, a few of the popular requests now are old as well; King K Rool hasn't been in a proper DKC game for well over 7 years and his last playable appearance at all was in 2008 in a Mario baseball title. Isaac's last game was in 2010 where he wasn't even the protagonist. That's without getting into things such as Geno.

Argument goes both ways, let's drop it.

Alerts called, they want a Mr. Mime named after you
View attachment 68022

And with that, I end this night
Remember, don't use drugs and don't start Ridley and Geno discussions
Stay in school and stay cool
This has been tired Zoroarking becoming crazy
How flattering.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Also I noticed some indie discussion earlier.

I'll just say that I don't think any of them will happen in Smash 4, as much as I'd personally love Shovel Knight (who I can see getting a Swordfighter costume since Yacht Club's looking to do more content on Nintendo systems, and that'd be neat), mainly due to the fact that by and all they're not icons to the extent that our other 3rd Parties have been. Solid Snake. Ryu. Mega Man. Sonic the Hedgehog. Pac-Freaking-Man. All icons, all legends. I think it'd just be...strange, for lack of a better term, to have these guys and then someone like Shantae, or Rusty from SteamWorld Dig (I should try that game sometime. Love the mix of semi-western, semi-steampunk aesthetics).

Honestly the only eligible third party characters that'd even hold a candle to those guys would be characters like Rayman (as far as Ubisoft's concerned, it'd be Rayman over an Assassin's Creed character in a Nintendo game, I'm pretty sure, though technically someone like Ezio's eligible, due to the DS games), Lara Croft (who outright won't happen due to Sakurai's stance on guns, and her pistols are kind of integral to the way she fights), or Scorpion or Sub-Zero (I don't even need to say why this will never happen :p, though speaking of Warner Bros.-owned characters, it's a shame Maxwell isn't nearly as prevalent in Japan...).

Honestly that's why I don't think we should have high hopes for any third party DLC characters that aren't Snake's return, or possibly Rayman, though even that feels like a reach IMO.

Just my opinion though.
Don't forget Ryu Hyabusa, man. He may not be Pac-man level, but he's defiantly Snake level at least.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can buy Dark Samus, but you can't really ignore the Sakurai factor when he's the one calling the shots.
There is the possibility that Sakurai won't return for Smash one day. I hope that's not soon however.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Wow. Shantae is surprisingly high on the list O_O. Maybe it's because of Wayforward pushing for her? It's still pretty cool seeing someone you wouldn't expect on top of the list. I'm still surprised we haven't got Wolf back yet...
I don't see what's surprising about it tbh. We represent a loud minority, so characters like Shantae ain't that much of a surprise. She's well loved in the more hardcore Nintendo communities.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I don't see what's surprising about it tbh. We represent a loud minority, so characters like Shantae ain't that much of a surprise. She's well loved in the more hardcore Nintendo communities.
I just never knew Shantae was that requested in are community that much XD (which isn't bad in any way...). I guess I just don't really pay attention to our community that much...

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Actually honest question guys would you recommend Shantae games to someone who highly enjoys Kirby platformers and 2D Mario platformers?

In other words, why should I get them?

Chrono.

Sticks, Silver, Jet and maybe Eggman got the worst matches lol.

Also: Big vs Chao hype

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Actually honest question guys would you recommend Shantae games to someone who highly enjoys Kirby platformers and 2D Mario platformers?

I only played the DSiWare game, it is pretty fun from what I've played. It's a bit of a metroidvania.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have too many games to play.

T.T

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I'll be honest, I love Shantae to death, but don't bother with the first one unless you're stingy about that kinda thing. It is by no means terrible, but it has some dated problems.
Besides that, the game's are pretty much metroid-vania esque. Shantae has various transformations she can use, so that may help quell your Kirby side a bit. Pirates Curse, while I consider it the best of the series, plays much differently from the first two in that you use new skills rather than transformations (for plot reasons.) Think of it sorta like Shovel Knight when describing how fun it is: there's nothing inherently innovative about it, it's just some damn well designed games.
On top of all of that, the world and it's characters are incredibly likeable, and the writing is Paper Mario levels of hilarious. It's really at least worth a shot.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Bringing the conversation back to Smash Bros, here's something I'm always curious about....... how/why did you choose your main character?

Let me expand upon that: When choosing a main, do you simply pick from the top of the 'tier list'? Do you main a character whose series you're a fan of? Does your main have a playstyle that fits your personal preference? Something else entirely?

I always feel that with any game that has numerous characters, people should use the character they like or have a connection to and never play solely based on tiers or best options (unless, of course, you're a high level tourney player and money is a stake). Sure, winning is great, but fun should always come first. I have no connection with Sheik so I wouldn't have fun playing as her, even if I was winning every match. On the flip-side, I've always been a huge fan of the Dr. Mario series and immediately mained him in Melee. Even when I lose as Doc, I'm having fun and would have it no other way.

My alt is Charizard (another considerably 'low tier' character). When I first played Pokemon Red, I chose Charmander. He eventually evolved into Charizard, thus I have a 'personal connection' with the character. He's not the easiest character to use and is overwhelmed in many match-ups, but I have fun trying to win and find it far more satisfying than using a character for which I have no connection with.

When I see so many Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Ness, Rosalina, etc, I always wonder if people just enjoyed their games or chose them based on their ease of use in Smash. My guess is that many of the Ness players I've come across have never played an Earthbound game.

Anyway, just something I often ponder, feel free to share your thoughts if you wish.
I've loved Yoshi since I first met him. Super Mario World has a very special place in my heart - not just because it opened my eyes to a new world of color and technology, as I'm sure it had for just about everyone my age, but the system itself wasn't exactly mine when I got to play it. My parents were able to rent a SNES before we bought it, and despite their protesting when they saw how fast I was plowing through the game, I managed to beat the game within a few days, before they were able to return the system. I'd eventually have the game for Christmas (and in fact, it turned out to be the exact same cartridge - I had been playing my own copy of Super Mario World without knowing at the time), and while my mom was upset I'd already beaten it, I still played it for a long time (I hadn't 100%'d it, and then my dad shared the secret of Star Road with me and I had to see every level in its new form).

At the center of all this was Yoshi, as that game was his debut. I couldn't get enough of him - I thought he was the coolest video game character ever, and I still do to this day. When Smash 64 eventually came out, I mained him immediately.

Sadly, I couldn't quite get the hang of him in Melee or Brawl, but by then Star Fox had kind of stolen the show for me anyway. Yoshi would be put to rest as I moved on to find new loves - Fox in Melee before I knew he was the undisputed tech king, R.O.B. in Brawl because he was literally the only character I could play effectively in that game (though playing him so much caused me to fall in love with his history).

It wasn't until late in Project M's life that I started toying around with Yoshi again, specifically after watching Amsa. I realized I could sort of pull off some of his crazy techs (by no means to any professional level, of course) and, while he was far from my best character (Ivysaur had surprised me with his combo game and I started watching Denti; Mewtwoking had inspired me to pick up Mewtwo and play him effectively), I was beginning to appreciate him in Smash again.

Then, Smash 4 came out. I had tried other characters first - Bowser and Sonic at the Best Buy demo, plus the downloadable demo characters - but as soon as I had the full version, Yoshi was the first character I played... and I instantly and totally fell in love with him. Finally, Yoshi behaved exactly the way I've always wanted him to - his physics were still a little bit quirky, giving him that interesting edge I'd always liked, but he flowed more naturally and his recovery didn't suck. Despite it being almost a decade since I had last played 64, I realized right away what was different - Yoshi finally felt like Smash 64 Yoshi, my original main, again. I had come full circle, and now I'm playing my original main all over gain - just as I've always wanted - and it's rekindled my love for my oldest favorite video game character.

My main icons aren't entirely accurate (as I've said, I mained Fox in Melee and Ivysaur in PM), but I've arranged them as such to illustrate this 'coming full circle' effect. Interestingly, that circle wouldn't have been complete without Mewtwo becoming the first DLC character (it literally translates to 'Favorite video game character,' 'Favorite legendary in my favorite video game franchise,' 'a character who's as old as I am').

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

The Shantae games are incredibly fun, challenging, and have great dialogue and music. I would recommend starting with Risky's Revenge and then going to Pirate's Curse. The first one is good, but it's really archaic compared to Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Hate to (possibly) be the bringer of bad news. I just contacted @shinyquagsire23 and he replied with this:
upload_2015-8-12_21-24-5.png

There's always the chance something might be found (he hasn't gone through the entire update at this point), but it's not looking too good as we all expected. So this essentially means we are in the dark. I'm still not ruling out the possibility of something being found, but it does seem unlikely at this point.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It's fun to abuse color change because most types resist themselves.
Great bulk compared to my other Pokemon and decent attack
Only bad stat is Speed but nothing a Quick Claw can't solve
Love quick claw, works so well on my shiny spiritomb. And color chang was basically the original protean, just less abusable, but has it's perks.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I kinda like being in the dark.

That means the next time we see the fire slash we won't have any clue whose coming.

Chrono.

Hate to (possibly) be the bringer of bad news. I just contacted @shinyquagsire23 and he replied with this:
View attachment 68027
There's always the chance something might be found (he hasn't gone through the entire update at this point), but it's not looking too good as we all expected. So this essentially means we are in the dark. I'm still not ruling out the possibility of something being found, but it does seem unlikely at this point.
Not to be "That Guy" but this was pretty much a given.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Love quick claw, works so well on my shiny spiritomb. And color chang was basically the original protean, just less abusable, but has it's perks.
Color Change is one of the worst abilities and Protean one of the best...
And a Spiritomb with Quick Claw? That doesn't sound like a good strategy.
1/10.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Color Change is one of the worst abilities and Protean one of the best...
And a Spiritomb with Quick Claw? That doesn't sound like a good strategy.
1/10.
Color change in the regular meta is like protean, can sweep in most cases. Not competitive but I've seen kelckeon itself used competitively here and there. And yeah, Spiritomb should be faster, but my shadow sneek, hypnosis, dream eater and ominous wind combo can work well but I dont use him often. My swalot is my under rated pokemon that's very useful to me though. If your up to it, how about a battle in ORAS?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Color change in the regular meta is like protean, can sweep in most cases.
That's an exaggeration and it doesn't change the fact that it's terrible competitively.

Not competitive but I've seen kelckeon itself used competitively here and there.
Maybe a Keckleon with Protean... in NU or RU battles.

And yeah, Spiritomb should be faster, but my shadow sneek, hypnosis, dream eater and ominous wind combo can work well but I dont use him often.
Dream Eater is not a very good move, but it works to finish the game, I think, well, everything works for that because the Pokemon games are extremely easy.
Spiritomb doesn't really need Quick Claw, it needs Sucker Punch and Leftovers.

My swalot is my under rated pokemon that's very useful to me though. If your up to it, how about a battle in ORAS?
I love Swalot, too bad it has bad stats too.
I would like to play, but I can't, I don't have the Pokemon games right now, but we can play Pokemon Showdown someday, if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom