• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Isn't Issac's son the main character of the last Golden Sun though?

So....uh, isn't that like using Tropical Freeze where Lord Frederick is the bad guy for K. Rool?
Main Character is Matthew.

But Isaac still appears and is vital to the plot being the big good.

Plus he's all grown up and has a badass beard.

I think you can find something to appreciate here. :troll:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually want Adult Isaac if he gets in.

He stands out more and doesn't lose any abilities.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The salt tho

Unless Adult Isaac is actually a popular idea.
*shrugs*

It's still Isaac.

This isn't Other M Ridley where the design is unpopular.

It's just not the most iconic look.

It is the most recent though.

Last edited:

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I'm going to sleep soon, but I just wanted to tell you all that this has brought back memories for me.

I used to always love staying up for POTD before the release of Smash 4, and I'll always love staying up for more juicy info.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I actually want Adult Isaac if he gets in.

He stands out more and doesn't lose any abilities.
Hmmm, personally I'd like young Isaac. I've played all three games, and Isaac just doesn't feel right as an adult.

I wouldn't be opposed to 4 Isaac costumes and 4 Matthew alts.

And a Garet Mii Swordsfighter.

And Ivan Gunner.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really hope there's secret stuff in the update.

We need to keep discussion going like this.
Well there are more costumes coming but after that...

I dunno.

It depends on whether or not there's data in them updates....

So guys...

:wolf:?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nightmare costume pl0x

too bad sword mii is terrible
Mii Swordfighter got buffed in the recent patch as far as I recall, so he isn't COMPLETE garbage.

Also, on the topic of all this K. Rool outrage
Just a reminder, but this is a game we're talking about. A video game. K. Rool's case is a lot like Ridley's, or Wolf's, where people overhyped the character, and made them look to be more important than they actually are to the point where they made them out to be shoe-ins. Lets just be happy with what we've got. We've got a 54 character roster, with more on the way! Smash 4 has an unprecedented amount of series and playstyles, and a whopping 41 characters were used at EVO, the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. When I see people boycotting the game because "muh character isn't in", that honestly saddens me. I've been disappointed with this game. When I watched the Smash livestream announcement, I went in expecting Shulk. When Robin and Lucina were announced, I was salty. However, I realized that we still got two cool characters.

It's obvious Nintendo is still somewhat calling the shots here, and lets face it: King K. Rool is practically a dead character. His last appearance was in a 2008 Mario Baseball Game that also featured Pintas from Super Mario Sunshine. He's like Crystal, or Geno, or even Isaac in that he got passed up. He probably had his best chance Pre-Brawl, or Pre-Melee, but we never got K. Rool. Nintendo is going to want relevant characters to be DLC, no matter the fan demand. "Fanservice", doesn't mean they're pandering to the diehard Nintendo fans like you and me that know K. Rool exists, it means they're pandering to EVERY SINGLE Nintendo fan. And lets face it, why make a character like K. Rool, who only diehard fans will know of, when they can make another character that everyone knows about, like Paper Mario or something.

A wise woman once told me, "Anger is nothing but a mask for other emotions," and I think this quote is very true. While a lot of people are disappointed, why turn that disappointment to anger, hatred that'll get you nowhere, instead of just venting that disappointment. Say, "dang, kinda suck K. Rool didn't make it in, I really wanted him to get in", and move on instead of going "**** NINTENDO THEY SUCK **** THEY CAN GO BANKRUPT FOR ALL I CARE!" Why boycott the game? All you're doing is hurting Nintendo because a character didn't get into a video game. That means you're hurting the entire company over the decisions one development team made. All you're doing is putting them into a worse situation. It's already bad enough that the Wii U was abandoned by third parties because they realized that Nintendo fans don't buy third party games, but due to that, the Wii U is also being abandoned by Nintendo themselves for the NX (We all know it's going to replace the Wii U, don't deny it.) By boycotting the game and any other Nintendo merchandise (because I know some people will do this), we're just stressing them out more. Iwata had recovered from his cancer, everything seemed fine, but then what happened? The Nintendo fans got riled up because Metroid Federation Force wasn't what they wanted. To see so much negative reception to something that so many people worked on, so many people poured hours of time and effort into, I can imagine it was stressful. Stress has been proven to have detrimental effects on the human body, and while I'm not saying that stress was the reason his cancer took him so suddenly, I would very well think that it's a possibility. Having a majority of your fanbase turn against you rabidly isn't something I would want to go through, and I can imagine a lot of you wouldn't either.

I guess the point of this message is that we shouldn't overreact to this. We should be mad at Nintendo and Sakurai because we don't have x character, we shouldn't boycott the game or do anything extreme. We should just appreciate the fact that K. Rool is getting a nod like that. While it might not be what a lot of people wanted, I'd say that he more than likely wasn't going to get in at all for whatever reason. It's perfectly okay to be disappointed, or to be sad, but to be angry at the fact that a character didn't make it into a video game? That's taking it a bit too far. I can understand the strong memories and nostalgia that comes with these characters for people, but I question what would happen if these people looked past their nostalgia and looked at the characters for what they really are, what they really have, and what they could really bring to the table.

I apologize for the rant, and I apologize if you disagree with my rant, but these are my opinions, you don't have to agree with them. The Nintendo fanbase is passionate, and I can appreciate that, but I sometimes wonder if the Nintendo fanbase is TOO passionate. People obsess over these games (I'm guilty of this), get mad over them because they don't like them, and at the end of the day, they're meant to be fun. Isn't that what Iwata said? Why should we be getting mad over all of this? Why should we be getting mad at a Video Game Company meant to make video games for kids? I frankly don't get it, all this outrage over a single character. And this isn't the first time it's happened either. Back when the ESRB leak happened, there was this one Wolf fan who was so outraged he literally said "**** you" to another poster. He made threats against Sakurai due to the exclusion of Wolf. We had to kick him from the Leaks Group it got so bad. People are so passionate about these characters and it's truly a double-edged sword. On one hand, respecting a character is a great thing. We can look up to them and remember them in a special way in our hearts. But on the other hand, getting outraged and incensed just because we don't see a character portrayed as we want them to? I don't think it's right.

Nintendo's fanbase is virulent sometimes, and it's something I don't see in other fanbases as often as I see it in ours. Melee vs. Smash 4, where Melee fans were literally BOOING Smash 4 off the stage. Metroid Federation Force. The backlash because x character didn't get in to Smash (replace x with Ridley, K. Rool, Wolf, etc.) The only example I can remember where another majority of fans hated an idea would be the Xbox One when they wanted all of their games to have DRM. That was about 3 years ago. While the Xbox and Playstation fans may complain every now and then, you never hear them complain as much and as loudly as Nintendo fans. I may be wrong here, but I consider myself well-versed in the topic of video games, and the recent news that goes on within the industry.

Once again, I apologize for the rant. This has been something I've been needing to get out for a long time. This is my opinion, and while I may have worded it harshly or incorrectly, it is the opinion I will stick by. Nintendo fans gotten so mad just because they didn't get what they wanted too many times recently, and while I will say some of it is Nintendo's fault (Gamecube Adapter, Majora's Mask New 3DS, Amiibos, etc.), the whole ordeal with K. Rool lies solely on the fans and the expectations they made up for him in their minds. This is no one's fault except theirs, and for them to blame Nintendo solely for the fact that they thought he was going to get in is nothing but a scapegoat. An excuse. A john. If you think I'm white knighting or you disagree with me I'll respect your opinion, but all I wanted to do with this rant was point out what I think is a problem within our fanbase. A lot of people in our fanbase get their hopes up too high, and then complain about how bad Nintendo is because they failed to meet their expectations. It's okay to get your hopes up, to wish for x character or x game, but to bag on and insult a company just because they didn't do what you wanted just seems wrong to me.

I could go on, but I've already written more than enough for a full essay, or a full article on a website. Feel free to give me your opinion on all of this.

Last edited:

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
Now Lloyd Irving u_u i really hate mii costumes so much, i would prefer 1000% that they were incluided as AT or Trophies than awfuls and greedy mii costumes, really sad about this. Lloyd irving was my most wanted character that i was so certain that not gona apear in the game or as dlc but then this happen......

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So guys...

:wolf:?
I don't think we're getting any characters in this update.

If Wolf isn't a Mii Costume, his chances definitely increase.

For him to be ignored completely knowing that detailed Costumes can created quite easily seems bizarre.

I don't know what's going on with DLC anymore.

Roy and Ryu was weird enough, but the K.Rool Kostume has completely 'hit me for six', as we say in Australia.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Now Lloyd Irving u_u i really hate mii costumes so much, i would prefer 1000% that they were incluided as AT or Trophies than awfuls and greedy mii costumes, really sad about this. Lloyd irving was my most wanted character that i was so certain that not gona apear in the game or as dlc but then this happen......
It's better that we get him in some playable form than to not get him playable or acknowledged in the game at all.

Plus, he has a Mii Swordfighter moveset that fits, so it's even better.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah I'm betting there won't be anything (character-wise) in the update itself.

Hidden or otherwise.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't get it.

One is a playable element.

The other is a chance occurence of seeing him help you.

The other is just a digital statue.

How is the former worse?

People's hatred of Miis and Mii costumes goes a little too far IMO.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't get it.

How is the former worse?

I agree. I'd be so happy to see my fave character in the game as long as it fits - and a lot of Mii Fighters do (Mega Men, Zero, Proto Man, Fighting Game reps, Link, Dunban, to a degree Inkling, Fighting Man and now Lloyd)

When they don't make sense, aka K. Rool and the AC characters, I don't like them as much. Still better than nothing though.

For the record, I didn't think Lloyd would ever have had a chance in Smash - so this is huge for his fans.

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
It's better that we get him in some playable form than to not get him playable or acknowledged in the game at all.

Plus, he has a Mii Swordfighter moveset that fits, so it's even better.
I tottally understand the " Nintendo recognized him " but i really dont like the estetic of the miis, i really don´t like them and the fact that a grand part of all the dlc so far are mii costumes, more a more of characters that a would want to see in smash bros like x, k.rool and lloyd, the fact that they were incluided in this form to smash 4 cuts the hype and surprise of really seen this character full playable in the future, thats why a would prefer that if they not gonna include the character then i would prefer nothing at all, we don´t need mii costumes to tell if nintendo acknowledged a character or not, the fans always spoke ( specially the nintendo ones x) ) Im pretty happy with the roster so far, im more calm now, but really k.rool and lloyd really make me sad, and im not sad that they not gonna be in the game but rather that they were mii costumes.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I really hate Llyod Irving so much, I would prefer 1000% that he wasn't ever considered by Sakurai to even be represented in the game at all, really sad about this.

Lloyd Irving was my least wanted character, to the point that I was so certain he wasn't going to be represented at all and then this happened....

Fool, yo ass better be grateful Lloyd was even considered by Sakurai, let alone represented made as a Mii costume.

Mitochondria-Eve

Smash Rookie
I don't get it.

How is the former worse?

That's just it, though. You're not playing as the actual character or even a character with a similar move-set, you're playing as something that basically amounts to a cheap imitation of that character. At least an Assist Trophy could possibly stay true to the character by utilizing a move/attack that they actually have in their original game. A Mii Fighter in a Lloyd Irving or King K. Rool costume (or any other costume) is just that: a Mii in a costume. Nothing more.

But that's just how I see it, and it's fine if others disagree with me. But I can understand why people hate the Mii Fighters, especially when it comes to these costumes.

DLC Assist Trophies don't seem likely, though, so I suppose being a costume or even just another normal trophy is the next best thing.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wonderful 101 make so much sense for a Mii costumes that I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happens

Hell Wonder Red, Blue, and Green fit the mii weapon classes

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I tottally understand the " Nintendo recognized him " but i really dont like the estetic of the miis, i really don´t like them and the fact that a grand part of all the dlc so far are mii costumes, more a more of characters that a would want to see in smash bros like x, k.rool and lloyd, the fact that they were incluided in this form to smash 4 cuts the hype and surprise of really seen this character full playable in the future, thats why a would prefer that if they not gonna include the character then i would prefer nothing at all, we don´t need mii costumes to tell if nintendo acknowledged a character or not, the fans always spoke ( specially the nintendo ones x) ) Im pretty happy with the roster so far, im more calm now, but really k.rool and lloyd really make me sad, and im not sad that they not gonna be in the game but rather that they were mii costumes.
That's not what I meant...at all.

I'm saying that characters like X and Lloyd weren't going to get in at all, and that it's better to have them in the game in a form that fits them instead of not having them in the game at all. Plus, all this does is boost their chances of being in Smash 5, if Smash 5 ever happens.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder if third party costumes will be mainly from Sega, Capcom and Namco. We didn't get from any other company (yet) did we?

If that's the case I wouldn't mind a costume for Phoenix Wright at least.... :/

Last edited:

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
I really hate Llyod Irving so much, I would prefer 1000% that he wasn't ever considered by Sakurai to even be represented in the game at all, really sad about this.

Lloyd Irving was my least wanted character, to the point that I was so certain he wasn't going to be represented at all and then this happened....

Fool, yo *** better be grateful Lloyd was even considered by Sakurai, let alone represented made as a Mii costume.

I say i would prefer that was not consider instead of being a costume or did i miss that? or the fact that was i state that was my opinion and not yours? and i dont remember insult anyyone else or disrespect others opinion so... please.

Last edited:

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
That's not what I meant...at all.

I'm saying that characters like X and Lloyd weren't going to get in at all, and that it's better to have them in the game in a form that fits them instead of not having them in the game at all. Plus, all this does is boost their chances of being in Smash 5, if Smash 5 ever happens.
I know, i feel that this goes rigth thro my "Tales of " boyism ( particulary symphonia and more specific Lloyd Irving ) really wanted a tales of rep at least in the form of a stage, but miis i dont like them much, they feel so out of a nintendo characters roster. I actually don´t play as them much, but aside of my opinion of the character a think nintendo is abusing of this costumes miis characters dlc, why not making AT o set of thopies, or a bunch of music of dlc, instead of more a more miis costumes ( and of corse deconfirming characters with them ). Im aware of the Mk trolling in the pic of the day, but at least with this i hope a tales of gets and stage and music, that would make me so happy ;_;

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know, i feel that this goes rigth thro my "Tales of " boyism ( particulary symphonia and more specific Lloyd Irving ) really wanted a tales of rep at least in the form of a stage, but miis i dont like them much, they feel so out of a nintendo characters roster. I actually don´t play as them much, but aside of my opinion of the character a think nintendo is abusing of this costumes miis characters dlc, why not making AT o set of thopies, or a bunch of music of dlc, instead of more a more miis costumes ( and of corse deconfirming characters with them ). Im aware of the Mk trolling in the pic of the day, but at least with this i hope a tales of gets and stage and music, that would make me so happy ;_;
K.

Keep hating on completely original characters who provide new and unique opportunities for lesser characters.

Things like this are why I made that rant.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've been playing a fair bit on Rising Thunder and my first impressions of it are...

Can we get some of that SF5 damage in here please?

Like, combos that end in Super aren't even worth it since half the time the damage scales so much that raw super could do more damage lol :p

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I wonder if third party costumes will be mainly from Sega, Capcom and Namco. We didn't get from any other company (yet) did we?

If that's the case I wouldn't mind a costume for Phoenix Wright at least.... :/
None from Sega as of yet. I wouldn't put it past them to say no to the idea.

I'm honestly surprised we don't have a Rayman Costume.

Phoenix Wright isn't out of the question, that's for sure.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
None from Sega as of yet. I wouldn't put it past them to say no to the idea.

I'm honestly surprised we don't have a Rayman Costume.

Phoenix Wright isn't out of the question, that's for sure.
We got Jacky and Akira costumes from Virtua Fighter, so we do have Sega costumes.

Last edited:

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
That's just it, though. You're not playing as the actual character or even a character with a similar move-set, you're playing as something that basically amounts to a cheap imitation of that character. At least an Assist Trophy could possibly stay true to the character by utilizing a move/attack that they actually have in their original game. A Mii Fighter in a Lloyd Irving or King K. Rool costume (or any other costume) is just that: a Mii in a costume. Nothing more.

But that's just how I see it, and it's fine if others disagree with me. But I can understand why people hate the Mii Fighters, especially when it comes to these costumes.

DLC Assist Trophies don't seem likely, though, so I suppose being a costume or even just another normal trophy is the next best thing.
That opinion i agree, like i said before, i would prefere no more dlc costumes for the miis and more stages, music dlc or AT´s ( pretty unlikely to happend i know), but there is so much demand for them i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom