• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Ivysaur uses Leaf Storm and rises upwards while surronded by leaves. Either pushes opponents aside with wind or causes cutting damage from the leaves.

Boom.

Leaf Tornado works better but Ivy can't legally learn but meh Smash isn't official Lucario uses 'Aura Storm' and the customs aren't even canon moves.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
So, I am beginning to get kind of worried about Wolf now. I don't see the point in leaving him out, especially with Lucas and Roy here, and a new Star Fox on the horizon. I also don't see the point in bringing back two Melee vets, but only one Brawl vet, considering that, aside from Mewtwo, the Brawl cuts were much more painful. Obviously, we don't know what's planned, except that we will get at least two more characters, but I like to think that they wouldn't have given us three characters at the same time if there weren't more coming before the ballot, and would have spaced out the releases of Roy and Ryu if we weren't getting anyone in August. I also feel like, if we weren't getting anymore vets, Sakurai might have said so after Lucas and Roy, so fans of other cut characters wouldn't get their hopes up.

I feel that, if we do get more vets, than Wolf would be at the top of the list, but I just don't know. Wolf feels like a legitimate hole in the roster to me, upon release of the game, not having him OR Mewtwo was a major blow.

On the upside, I think that Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, and Wolf were probably planned for the initial game, but were cut due to low priority. Lucas and Wolf had assets in Smash 4, leading me to believe they were at least worked on. If that was the case, the characters that were cut from the initial roster would probably be top priority, hence why Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are three of the first four characters released.

But I hate not knowing, it's the worst part.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I would also like to know PushDustin's thought on this.
I also see you have joined the Europe Master Race in terms of Amiibo :3
Europe and Japan just got them so much earlier- i'm not waiting for September when i can get them earlier. I'm far too impatient.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm pretty sure that the Japanese are aware of what us Westerns want.

The easiest example is them being aware of the former roaring demand for Ridley. Hell, I remember some Miiverse posts that said that some were even surprised about his demand.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
thats actually very condescending.Becuase i see him as just mario in a doctor outfit if he got cut i wouldnt care.I however can see why people want him here becuase they don't like FLUDD and i respect that.Like Wow that literally put me in a foul mood.
My comment? I'm sorry, I thought I was posting in a very light-hearted tone (as can be seen with the humorous video and over the top message). I only posted it because I saw 3 (or more) comments from the same person saying they hated Dr. Mario and wished he'd be "killed" and removed from the next game. That kind of message is unnecessary (for any character) and puts fans of those characters in a 'foul mood,' as you put it. Everyone, myself included, needs to think before they post. Opinions are fine, but those kinds of hateful statements are counter-productive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry, I realize what I wrote earlier comes across as kinda inflammatory. I apologize. Been hit with some hard real life news lately that a relative is going into surgery and so I was stressed.

Anyway, has anything new happened?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/0...-from-atlus-aim-to-regain-trust-from-players/

"As far as the Western market goes, we learned a lot from Atlus,” continues Satomi. “If we can make a title with proper quality, I believe there’s a good chance for it to do well even in the West for players that like to play Japanese games.”
>“Sega in the ‘90s was known for its ‘brand, but after that, we’ve lost trust, and we were left with nothing but ‘reputation. For this reason, we’d like to win back the customers’ trust, and become a ‘brand,’ once again.”
>“Since we’re seriously considering quality, I can’t make that promise for the time being, but I believe we will announce something for home console at Tokyo Game Show,” says Satomi.
Well that's fine but how about fixing a certain multi-million dollar franchise first for a 4th Time :4sonic:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I also don't see the point in bringing back two Melee vets, but only one Brawl vet, considering that, aside from Mewtwo, the Brawl cuts were much more painful.
Mewtwo was the most requested character prior to the game's release, period. I don't think it was a case of "picking a veteran" as much as it was giving the fans what they wanted.

Lucas and Roy are the characters I think Sakurai deliberately went out to pick cut veterans for. He makes it a point to mention that they're returning characters from Brawl and Melee respectively during the New Content stream.

I also feel like, if we weren't getting anymore vets, Sakurai might have said so after Lucas and Roy, so fans of other cut characters wouldn't get their hopes up.
You should probably watch the New Content stream again and pay extra close attention to the things Sakurai says after the Roy trailer.

The way he talks about Lucas and Roy makes it sound like veterans are done, and I know I'm not the only one who felt that way.

On the upside, I think that Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, and Wolf were probably planned for the initial game, but were cut due to low priority. Lucas and Wolf had assets in Smash 4, leading me to believe they were at least worked on. If that was the case, the characters that were cut from the initial roster would probably be top priority, hence why Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are three of the first four characters released.
By "assets", I assume you mean Wolf and Lucas specials as customs for Fox and Ness, right? I don't think that's leftover data as much as it is Sakurai throwing Lucas and Wolf users a bone.

If Mewtwo/Roy/Lucas/Wolf were planned for the base game and their DLC was making use of cut content, wouldn't we have gotten Wolf alongside them? I do believe some of these characters were planned for the base game at some point (Lucas and Wolf specifically. Mewtwo possibly. Roy, no), but I don't think they were late cuts from the roster. I don't think they made it far at all.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Xenoblade huh?

One of my favorite games.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So do both ZSS/Samus and Links.

He meant as a primary recovery since even Olimar doesn't have one anymore.
Okay, rant time.

People talk about Olimar's "Buff" with his new Up Special. Buff? I hate that recovery. It's so unsafe, gimpable, and has no offensive properties. For a character who already has two other specials that don't attack, (Nuetral Special and Down Special) having the diagonal attack Up Special was a god send. It also was great for down throw, short hop, Up Special.

I miss that so much :'(

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Someone is not a big fan of MN9

image.jpg

Okay, rant time.

People talk about Olimar's "Buff" with his new Up Special. Buff? I hate that recovery. It's so unsafe, gimpable, and has no offensive properties. For a character who already has two other specials that don't attack, (Nuetral Special and Down Special) having the diagonal attack Up Special was a god send. It also was great for down throw, short hop, Up Special.

You wanna know who's recovery is worst for that

:4pit:. While it's harder to gimp, it's dam easy to punish

D

Deleted member

Okay, rant time.

>Brawl
>Opponent grabs ledge
>Rip Olimar 2001-2008
Also, his new recovery is basically the same as Villager's(without the fuel mechanic they added in the latest patch) with its distance being determined by how many Pikmin he has, even with three, it's still pretty good

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
>Brawl
>Opponent grabs ledge
>Rip Olimar 2001-2008
Also, his new recovery is basically the same as Villager's(without the fuel mechanic they added in the latest patch) with its distance being determined by how many Pikmin he has, even with three, it's still pretty good
It's much slower though.
I agree with @ SlickWylde SlickWylde on this. I wish Olimar had another special that did damage, though it's nice that his recovery isn't dependent on the number of Pikmin he has close to him. It's funny how they essentially made it the opposite with it being somewhat better with less Pikmin.
At least he still has some invincibility frames in his whistle...? lol

I mean, I think Olimar is still pretty good. He just plays differently than Brawl.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's much slower though.
I agree with @ SlickWylde SlickWylde on this. I wish Olimar had another special that did damage, though it's nice that his recovery isn't dependent on the number of Pikmin he has close to him. It's funny how they essentially made it the opposite with it being somewhat better with less Pikmin.
At least he still has some invincibility frames in his whistle...? lol

I mean, I think Olimar is still pretty good. He just plays differently than Brawl.
^ Bolded. He's still viable, contrary to what people might have said. He just can't be played the same why he was in Brawl since he has less to work with.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
^ Bolded. He's still viable, contrary to what people might have said. He just can't be played the same why he was in Brawl since he has less to work with.
But if doesn't play the same way like he did last games then he sucks. I don't like change

This is how I feel about people complaining about :4falco:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wow I leave for a week and come back to 40 pages! What even went on? Anything new or exciting?

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
By "assets", I assume you mean Wolf and Lucas specials as customs for Fox and Ness, right? I don't think that's leftover data as much as it is Sakurai throwing Lucas and Wolf users a bone.

If Mewtwo/Roy/Lucas/Wolf were planned for the base game and their DLC was making use of cut content, wouldn't we have gotten Wolf alongside them? I do believe some of these characters were planned for the base game at some point (Lucas and Wolf specifically. Mewtwo possibly. Roy, no), but I don't think they were late cuts from the roster. I don't think they made it far at all.
If he wants to throw Lucas and Wolf users a bone, don't you think it'd be better to, I dunno, make Lucas and Wolf DLC? Obviously, DLC wasn't planned for the start (we hope), but as soon as they decided to do DLC, don't you think characters that were cut from the initial roster should have been at the top of the list? There's nothing standing in his way right now, even the 'no future' excuse is null and void, and likely wasn't even a factor in DLC anyway, considering Lucas, the definition of 'no future', is back.

And not necessarily. He may have taken longer to complete. They may be giving him a new voice, new final smash, they may patch his old codecs into Lylat Cruise, they could be saving him to release closer to SF0, there could be any number of reasons why he wouldn't be released with Lucas and Roy. I believe Mewtwo and Roy were part of the roster plan for Sm4sh because they were planned for Brawl. It seems as if they've been planned to be series regulars, but keep winding up on the backburner.

D

Deleted member

Most complaints I see from characters getting nerfed basicaly sum up to:
"I can't Fair L-cancel into down-throw short hop Uair double turbo jump Dair and waveland into a wavedashed foxtrotting fun cancelling Up-Smash! They nerfed [input S-Tier Melee veteran here] too hard!"

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I agree with Kamiya that MN9 is bad.

I don't agree with the reasoning.

It's not bad because it's a Mega Man clone. The fact that it's a Mega Man clone is sorta the whole point of it.

It's bad because the game itself looks poopy. It looks like a free iPhone app.

If he wants to throw Lucas and Wolf users a bone, don't you think it'd be better to, I dunno, make Lucas and Wolf DLC?
I meant on the base game. If they were planned as DLC the whole time, it wouldn't even have made sense to leave their moves in as customs.

Obviously, DLC wasn't planned for the start (we hope), but as soon as they decided to do DLC, don't you think characters that were cut from the initial roster should have been at the top of the list?
Nope. I don't think that. At all.

If we got Ice Climbers and a Rhythm Heaven character, yeah, I would think that. Since they're characters we actually have proof were in development at some point.

There's nothing standing in his way right now, even the 'no future' excuse is null and void, and likely wasn't even a factor in DLC anyway, considering Lucas, the definition of 'no future', is back
Who ever said anything about "no future"? Wolf does have a future, he's already confirmed for Star Fox Zero (We haven't seen him in the flesh, but Pigma outright mentions him during E3 gameplay footage).

It's got nothing to do with Wolf's future. It has to do with limited DLC slots and the pre-ballot stuff more than likely being finished.

And not necessarily. He may have taken longer to complete. They may be giving him a new voice, new final smash, they may patch his old codecs into Lylat Cruise, they could be saving him to release closer to SF0, there could be any number of reasons why he wouldn't be released with Lucas and Roy.
The nonsense about saving him for Star Fox Zero's release is a case of people moving the goal post. Remember when everyone guaranteed we'd be getting Wolf at E3 after the Star Fox reveal? These advertisement theories are stupid and never come true. They have no precedent whatsoever, and are based entirely on "It'd make sense!".

As for the other stuff......Roy got all of that except Lylat Cruise conversations. He's done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe Mewtwo and Roy were part of the roster plan for Sm4sh because they were planned for Brawl. It seems as if they've been planned to be series regulars, but keep winding up on the backburner.
If a character is perpetually so low on the priority list that they've been cut from the main roster twice in a row, I don't think they were planned to be "series regulars".

There's nothing pointing towards their planned inclusion. I don't believe Roy was ever planned to be in the game.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Most complaints I see from characters getting nerfed basicaly sum up to:
"I can't Fair L-cancel into down-throw short hop Uair double turbo jump Dair and waveland into a wavedashed foxtrotting fun glory cancelling Up-Smash! They nerfed [input S-Tier Melee veteran here] too hard!"
Fixed.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
>Brawl
>Opponent grabs ledge
>Rip Olimar 2001-2008
I literally went 5 years without being beaten as Olimar lol. I don't know what it was, but I found a way to play as him that none of my friends could beat. The only time I lost is 2 v1. And this isn't me bragging, I am not a great player. It was Olimar. I never had that problem of people grabbing the ledge. I think i'd just wait another second until their invincibility ran out, then would hit them off.

But also with the new ledge mechanic, It wouldn't be an issue, and would be even better, actually.

And in Smash 4? I've one maybe 2 or 3 matches with Olimar.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
But if doesn't play the same way like he did last games then he sucks. I don't like change

This is how I feel about people complaining about :4falco:
Well, Falco in Smash 4 is probably his worst incarnation. But even then he ended up being an OK character (And even better thanks to the changes he got).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well, Falco in Smash 4 is probably his worst incarnation. But even then he ended up being an OK character (And even better thanks to the changes he got).
He's different in a sense where he's more a punishment and spacing character instead of a Rushdown monster like his other counterpart :4fox:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Who ever said anything about "no future"? Wolf does have a future, he's already confirmed for Star Fox Zero (We haven't seen him in the flesh, but Pigma outright mentions him during E3 gameplay footage).

It's got nothing to do with Wolf's future. It has to do with limited DLC slots and the pre-ballot stuff more than likely being finished.

The nonsense about saving him for Star Fox Zero's release is a case of people moving the goal post. Remember when everyone guaranteed we'd be getting Wolf at E3 after the Star Fox reveal? These advertisement theories are stupid and never come true. They have no precedent whatsoever, and are based entirely on "It'd make sense!".
Not making a comment about the chances of Wolf and coinciding with Star Fox Zero, but it reminds me..

I find it very odd that they're seemingly holding off on the Falco amiibo for the Star Fox launch. His is the only amiibo being released past September from the base roster. Maybe that means they aren't launching a separate Star Fox line? Perhaps no transforming arwing amiibo after all, though this would not surprise me given that they already stated the amiibo support for the game will be limited to bonuses only.

IF, and big if, because I'm not convinced of Wolf's chances right now either, they decided to add Wolf as DLC and have him coincide with the Star Fox Zero launch, then perhaps his amiibo will come out the same time as Falco's. It wouldn't be the first time they've announced an amiibo shortly before its launch, though it's relatively rare. The timeframes are incredibly inconsistent for these things.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Lord butt butt!
Is that his brother?

Not making a comment about the chances of Wolf and coinciding with Star Fox Zero, but it reminds me..

I find it very odd that they're seemingly holding off on the Falco amiibo for the Star Fox launch. His is the only amiibo being released past September from the base roster. Maybe that means they aren't launching a separate Star Fox line? Perhaps no transforming arwing amiibo after all, though this would not surprise me given that they already stated the amiibo support for the game will be limited to bonuses only.

IF, and big if, because I'm not convinced of Wolf's chances right now either, they decided to add Wolf as DLC and have him coincide with the Star Fox Zero launch, then perhaps his amiibo will come out the same time as Falco's. It wouldn't be the first time they've announced an amiibo shortly before its launch, though it's relatively rare. The timeframes are incredibly inconsistent for these things.
Miyamoto did say they may release an arwing Amiibo.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
What excites me is that no character feels like a guarantee right now. It helps build tension which I enjoy.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I literally went 5 years without being beaten as Olimar lol. I don't know what it was, but I found a way to play as him that none of my friends could beat. The only time I lost is 2 v1. And this isn't me bragging, I am not a great player. It was Olimar. I never had that problem of people grabbing the ledge. I think i'd just wait another second until their invincibility ran out, then would hit them off.

But also with the new ledge mechanic, It wouldn't be an issue, and would be even better, actually.

And in Smash 4? I've one maybe 2 or 3 matches with Olimar.
That's how i was when i started playing him. He felt too awkward at first for me to really do anything. Just keep at it- he'll surprise you. He's good like that. My only issue is how dumb the AI of the pikmin can be. Near the ledge, they'll always jump, then circle back to you and you can't use them at all during that time. Brawl-imar never had that problem.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm sure he's fine, I just kinda moved. I've never had the same main in any game. I'm actually not sure who my main is in this one. For a while I was doing great as Falcon, but not lately. I really like that two of my favorite brawl characters, Ganon and Bowser, are a lot more fun to play as now. My Ganon on team mode is pretty great :)

Khoru

Smash Champion
Oh man, just wait until you get to the amazingness that is Magus' back story!

Also, I never really thought about, but that game really does have a lot of strong female characters... especially for a game that came out in 1995.
haha i already at least know that he has something to do with zeal and is actually trying to restrain lavos or something. also that you can recruit him, of course

do i need to tag spoilers on a 20yo game

i haven't played any today but i saved in the whatever mountains in 600, presumably before a boss or something

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm sure he's fine, I just kinda moved. I've never had the same main in any game. I'm actually not sure who my main is in this one. For a while I was doing great as Falcon, but not lately. I really like that two of my favorite brawl characters, Ganon and Bowser, are a lot more fun to play as now. My Ganon on team mode is pretty great :)
I made it a point to learn Pit and Olimar in this game because they treated me oh so well last game. Lucas treated me well in Brawl but this new Lucas is wonky. Haven't given him the time to really decide what i'm doing with him.

Shulk was my most wanted newcomer, so i had to get him working. Thankfully he sort of already fit my playstyle, just with the lack of a projectile.

Everyone i'm testing is just kinda there. I'll have a random game with them where i do well and say, hmm, let me give them a try, and then keep playing them until i either warm up to their playstyle or decide they aren't for me and give them a pass. That's why it rotates so often.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

I don't think they would be able to have a Wolf amiibo out at the same time as the DLC.

We don't even have a prototype of Mewtwo's yet.

I'm pretty sure Falco's wave will be with the current crop of DLC characters, not with some Wolf amiibo that somehow managed to get created before characters who would've been out before him for several months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom