• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
A thought occours...

Sega is celebrating a Sonic anniversary with a 2D throwback and a 3D game that looks to be super serious...

... uh oh?
Considering Taxman's ports are about as polar opposite from Sonic Genesis in terms of reception as you can get, this comparison gives me the thought of more of an equal-and-opposite type situation.

That which once brought them to the ground will now bring them to new heights, or some poetic crud like that. Or at least be thoroughly bugtested prior to release.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually, speaking of Sonic Genesis.

Fun fact.

Stealth is one of the people working on Mania (listed as "Studio Headcannon").

He made an actual GOOD port of Sonic 1 for the GBA, including playable Tails and Knuckles. It was only a proof of concept demo, but it works.

So there is nothing to worry about with Mania.

MainJPW

M.T.A
But even the Classics had some realistic environments. Angel Island Zone may as well be Adabat from Unleashed. Starlight Carnival is basically a highway with an American suburb in the background, and could really be Empire City from Unleashed. Sandopolis Zone is just a desert and a pyramid/some ruins. Ice Cap Zone could be Holoska from Unleashed.
Good point, Sonic 3 lacks a bit in fantastic design in some of its stages but they make up for in attention to detail. I agree with Angel Island Zone and Sandopolis to an extent ( but even Angel Island still has plants that move completely on their own ) but I disagree with IceCap since it's full of independently spinning crystals atop ice pillars, crystal bridges, crystals that glow and unnatural ice/crystal structures at every corner of the area. Also Starlight Carnival? Are you sure?
Both directions are fine, and honestly, all I think is required is that each individual GAME have consistent level design and theming (something Lost World failed at). If they wanna be surreal, go all out like Mania is. If they wanna be realistic, do what Unleashed and Adventure did and take interesting aspects of real world cultures and play around with them. If they wanna do something more specific like Secret Rings or Black Knight, they have to really play with those kinds of fantasy worlds.

Sticking to one or the other as the permanent direction for the franchise would limit level design potential.
Agreed about Lost World, and I see what you mean; taking interesting aspects of our cultures and integrating them in with elements of the Sonic world is a good idea, but I feel like there has to be a balance. Sonic Adventure did a better job of that than Unleashed In some aspects I feel due to stages like Windy Valley, being based off Machu Pichu yet still looking like a dream setting with its floating islands to its bright and colorful landscape and unnaturally shaped mountains; Unleashed does have some fantastical elements to its stages but it's all so out of place when you go back to the hub worlds and see regular people standing around since they cannot possibly traverse those environments, and that's the case for both games.

I was looking through concept art in Sonic Generations a while back, and when I saw a rough sketch of Sonic in Rooftop Run, it hit me how out of place he really is. There it was, a painting of a back alley in a rustic Italian town with a big eyed spiny blue creature standing in front of it. Sonic has to have an appropriate environment to complement him. Just my two cents on that. Now I kinda want to talk about the designs of the humans since they also play into the environment.

Also about the Story Book games, those games took place inside the books, didn't they? And didn't the ending to Black Knight imply that none of those events actually happened? It's been awhile since I played those games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Good point, Sonic 3 lacks a bit in fantastic design in some of its stages but they make up for in attention to detail. I agree with Angel Island Zone and Sandopolis to an extent ( but even Angel Island still has plants that move completely on their own ) but I disagree with IceCap since it's full of independently spinning crystals atop ice pillars, crystal bridges, crystals that glow and unnatural ice/crystal structures at every corner of the area. Also Starlight Carnival? Are you sure?

Agreed about Lost World, and I see what you mean; taking interesting aspects of our cultures and integrating them in with elements of the Sonic world is a good idea, but I feel like there has to be a balance. Sonic Adventure did a better job of that than Unleashed In some aspects I feel due to stages like Windy Valley, being based off Machu Pichu yet still looking like a dream setting with its floating islands to its bright and colorful landscape and unnaturally shaped mountains; Unleashed does have some fantastical elements to its stages but it's all so out of place when you go back to the hub worlds and see regular people standing around since they cannot possibly traverse those environments, and that's the case for both games.

I was looking through concept art in Sonic Generations a while back, and when I saw a rough sketch of Sonic in Rooftop Run, it hit me how out of place he really is. There it was, a painting of a back alley in a rustic Italian town with a big eyed spiny blue creature standing in front of it. Sonic has to have an appropriate environment to complement him. Just my two cents on that. Now I kinda want to talk about the designs of the humans since they also play into the environment.

Also about the Story Book games, those games took place inside the books, didn't they? And didn't the ending to Black Knight imply that none of those events actually happened? It's been awhile since I played those games.
I derped, I meant Star Light Zone from Sonic 1. It's basically a highway with suburban buildings in the near-background and skyscrapers in the far-background.

I should really go to bed. That Sonic stream killed me.

The Storybook games took place in books and they did indeed happen. Sonic references Secret Rings in both Black Knight and Generations. But that's besides my point. My point is that those games picked a theme and stuck with it for it's levels. Which is fine for individual games. However, I don't agree that the Sonic franchise needs to have an overarching, consistent visual style for stages. It, again, would objectively hinder Sonic Team's creative freedom for level design. Like, going by what you want, a game like Unleashed or Black Knight literally can't exist. And that would've been a real shame. Like, Unleashed is hailed as one of the best Sonic stories, but it wouldn't fundamentally work nearly as well if it had a more surreal look, because one of the big plot points was Chip learning about our cultures (and Sonic's home world doesn't have any real culture so to speak).

Plus, it's been well established that there are at least two worlds in Sonic - his home world, and Earth. Which explains why we have surreal games and ones with more realistic environments. It's rooted into the lore of the franchise and asking for that to go is like asking for Chaos Emeralds to disappear from the core series.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Plus, it's been well established that there are at least two worlds in Sonic - his home world, and Earth. Which explains why we have surreal games and ones with more realistic environments. It's rooted into the lore of the franchise and asking for that to go is like asking for Chaos Emeralds to disappear from the core series.
I honestly forgot about that, where was that mentioned again? And does it explain how Sonic and his friends switch between the worlds?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Flash Season 3 trailer.

Looks good, hope it doesn't fall down the same holes as Arrow though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I honestly forgot about that, where was that mentioned again? And does it explain how Sonic and his friends switch between the worlds?
It's been mentioned multiple times and known about for years, but the most recent example I can recall is Aaron Webber mentioning it in this interview. Can't remember exactly what part, but it's a good interview and worth listening to in it's entirety if you haven't already.

Basically he says that in the "Sonic Bible", it's stated that Sonic's world is the one from the Classics and what not, and Earth is stuff like Adventure and Unleashed. I don't recall there being an explanation for how the characters go between both though.

Last edited:
JESUS ****ING CHRIST ON A POGO STICK

Been trying to get this one trick down that is the very beginning of skipping world 2.

200 tries and taking a tutorial frame by frame later, I just got it. :bluejump:

Of course I have no consistency with it and there are still like 4 parts left to the world. . . but progress!
:061:

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just played another round of Splatoon, playing a total of 10 battles to finally achieve Callie King (jumped from 52 Points as a Callie Champion to 99 Points with a record of 9-1). Team Callie represent!

Speaking of that, is anyone else here on Team Callie's side?

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Just played another round of Splatoon, playing a total of 10 battles to finally achieve Callie King (jumped from 52 Points as a Callie Champion to 99 Points with a record of 9-1). Team Callie represent!

Speaking of that, is anyone else here Team Callie?
*raises tentacle*

I was a bit torn because Marie always had the Splatfest teams I liked, but I knew I couldn't put off voting forever so I just went Callie.

Most other people here seem to be Team Marie, though.

Not that it matters to me that much, we're all cephalopods here. I'm just going to be stuck until Splat2n waiting for Splatfests to come back again.

MainJPW

M.T.A
It's been mentioned multiple times and known about for years, but the most recent example I can recall is Aaron Webber mentioning it in this interview. Can't remember exactly what part, but it's a good interview and worth listening to in it's entirety if you haven't already.

Basically he says that in the "Sonic Bible", it's stated that Sonic's world is the one from the Classics and what not, and Earth is stuff like Adventure and Unleashed. I don't recall there being an explanation for how the characters go between both though.
Just found a thread on Sonic Stadium that describes everything in it, I'm familiarizing myself with it. I've heard of some of these rules before but I've literally never heard the Bible brought up as long as I've been on that site or Retro. Some of these rules are pretty weird tbh, I mean "Only male hedgehogs can get a super form"...really? That's just bogus. :glare:

Speaking of that, is anyone else here on Team Callie's side?
Oh yeah I meant to do this

http://www.strawpoll.me/10819245
Splatoon Strawpoll

In the time since i've made that post i've gone from 200 tries to get it, to 50 tries to 10 tries to 2 times in a row

PROGRESS

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just found a thread on Sonic Stadium that describes everything in it, I'm familiarizing myself with it. I've heard of some of these rules before but I've literally never heard the Bible brought up as long as I've been on that site or Retro. Some of these rules are pretty weird tbh, I mean "Only male hedgehogs can get a super form"...really? That's just bogus. :glare:
Yeah that one is a bit dumb.

But oh well.

Da Rules are Da Rules.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Can you or someone else link me to the Sonic Bible thread?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was looking at a video of the line for the Sonic Party, and these girl cosplayers walked up and you could just tell the Blaze one wasn't wearing a bra under the costume. Jiggling as much as Rouge in SA2.

A little inaccurate for that to be going on with a Blaze cosplay, though. :p

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've heard about this Sonic Bible, but this is my first time hearing about some of these rules. Huh, you learn something new every day.

It's a shame the Super Emeralds, Super/Hyper Knuckles, and Super Tails are considered non-canon. The Super Emeralds and Hyper Sonic would have been a great throwback in Generations.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Oh snap

The more I hear about things, the more it sounds like the games are just going to end up turning into the comics.

I like that the games are their own thing. I like that the games don't have to be bogged down by this post-apocalyptic world where everyone is fighting for their lives against the overlord.

I don't really want the games turning into SatAM. :urg:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Quick thoughts:
  • Clinton still technically had the popular vote and was beating him in most polls. I doubt their involvement would have changed much if anything.
  • Not really surprising, $5 says the RNC wishes they succeeded in their own plans.
  • I doubt Sanders himself is surprised.
This election is a mess. Given "Bernie or Bust" fans (just plain dumb IMO) are keeping Clinton more left and Gary Johnson (Libertarians) is polling at around 10-12%, I'm convinced we're a four party country stuck inside a two party system. Sadly we're stuck with a sociopath and a political machine as our most likely choices.

What's the point of democracy if you can't vote for what you believe in? :facepalm:
You can choose what you believe in, it's just that your options are limited sadly. Or to quote South Park, you're stuck between a douche and a turd.

IMO it's better to voiced your opinion than not at all, especially when many countries don't allow their people to vote (North Korea) or have even more limited options (China). As a Bernie supporter, I'm going to be so mad if Trump wins because my fellow supporters have chosen to take what rights they are given for granted.

Ex. BRexit happened in part because people our age, the ones who were the most against it, didn't read up on what the EU was and didn't show up to the polls at all.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I've heard about this Sonic Bible, but this is my first time hearing about some of these rules. Huh, you learn something new every day.

It's a shame the Super Emeralds, Super/Hyper Knuckles, and Super Tails are considered non-canon. The Super Emeralds and Hyper Sonic would have been a great throwback in Generations.
It is a ridiculous rule and retcon, Super/Hyper Knuckles had some really cool abilities and, well, who doesn't want to see these flickies wreck some **** again?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The more I hear about things, the more it sounds like the games are just going to end up turning into the comics.

I like that the games are their own thing. I like that the games don't have to be bogged down by this post-apocalyptic world where everyone is fighting for their lives against the overlord.

It won't turn into SatAM.

It's more than likely this story involves time travel 'cos you know...

"SURPRISE *****"

The last (and hardest trick) of world 2 involves a breakable wall. . .I broke the wall by accident after a failed attempt

. . .I then got back to the spot after some glitchung and went to practice

AND AFTER 5 MINUTES I DIDN'T REALIZE THE WALL WAS GONE BECAUSE IT IS INVISIBLE FROM ONE SIDE. I WAS TRYING TO CLIP THROUGH A NON-EXISTANT WALL

Kind of wanted to have already beat Spyro 2 by the end of the day but I guess not. . .

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

I don't think the games will be like the comics, it just means we'll (possibly) have competent writing. I've only read Worlds Collide, but I can tell you Ian Flynn understands these characters well.

Besides, even if the comics have done it for years, having one game were it's about getting the world back from Eggman instead of stopping him from taking it over is a really great idea.
It is a ridiculous rule and retcon, Super/Hyper Knuckles had some really cool abilities and, well, who doesn't want to see these flickies wreck some **** again?
The Flicky Army of Death alone is a reason why this rule should be changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom