• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That it might be too hard or different to current to newer games.
I don't mind difficulty, but I want to get deep into the franchise without going straight to the hardest/most complex game.
Don't worry about it. Gaiden isn't actually very hard, just somewhat clunky to play due to its age. Which certainly Echoes won't be.

I'm sure they'll do all kinds of things to make it more accommodating to newer players(adding difficulty settings, casual mode, etc) so I'm sure it won't be a big deal if you want that to be your first game.

If you want to start with another game, though: FE8(Sacred Stones) has a similar open world system to Gaiden, and it's generally considered pretty easy even on its highest difficulty. If you have access to it, that wouldn't be a bad place to start. Awakening and Fates Birthright also have a similar open world thing going on so they're not bad choices either.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Homestly if I tried hard enough I could make 30 party members for my rpg. lol

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Harambe's grandmother Josephine died today.

Let's hope that it doesn't become the "#****sOutForHarambe" meme. :urg:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Hm, if I have to pick a different person each day for the Heroes vote, who should I pick...

1. Minerva (Done)
2. Merric
3. Camus
4. Finn
5. Lewyn
6. Brigid
7. Osian
8. Olwen
9. Eyvel
10. Galzus
11. Narcian
12. Jill
13. Xane

Something like that, I guess.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To experienced FE Players, It is a good idea to lose my FE Virginity by playing the Gaiden remake or should I play something easier/newer first?
Gaiden Changes:
  • All Characters can attack including healers.
  • Weapons (Ex. Iron Sword) act as power ups/skills and are not needed to attack. Nor do they break.
  • Magic (both offensive/supportive) is learned upon leveling up and costs HP to use (the default magic attack is a HP stealing move)
  • There are no item shops (hence why Anna isn't in this game). You only obtain items through events/drops.
  • Class Ups occur when reaching a sanctuary at Lvl 10+.
  • Stat Boosts are done in sanctuaries. Each sanctuary will let you boost a certain stat for a single character (sanctuary uses are limited).
  • There are overworld areas within the world map to explore such as castles/towns/forests. Most are just for story and are fairly bare.
  • Dungeons exist. They're fairly simple to navigate (think the first 3-4 Zelda 1 Dungeons), and often have hidden items/sanctuaries/etc. Encounters start when entering a specific room once per visit and act like any base FE battle.
If you prefer regular JRPGs, Gaiden will probably suit you better due to it's simplified item management and more open world. If you're looking to get into the series as a whole, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Awakening, and Birthright are probably more of what you want.

Gaiden as a whole is clunky, although it's a huge improvement over FE1 in every aspect. How much they plan on changing for this remake will be interesting. Overworld areas/dungeons already look like they'll be more involved in this game, though the sanctuary system seems to be intact.

That it might be too hard or different to current to newer games.
I don't mind difficulty, but I want to get deep into the franchise without going straight to the hardest/most complex game.
Gaiden is far from the hardest game in the series, that said it's also the only one where grinding a few levels is almost mandatory IMO. The remake will most likely balance things out so you don't have to.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Everyone is freaking out about the FE4 name changes

Meanwhile the change that most amused me was Rody > Roderick.

And I guess BSFE!Robert being Roberto now means I can't use the name "Robert the Sable" anymore.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I give up. I'm just going to end lines with "/" like I'm friggin coding or something because I keep hitting it instead of the period key/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.

Anyone know anyone who's into map making?

If this RPG is gonna be a thing, we need someone with those skills.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's kind of weird that Grima is going to be one of the characters

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I just realized I could vote for the same character tomorrow as I did today, since I voted for Mia from Path of Radiance

Now I need to vote for Mia from Radiant Dawn tomorrow! *laughs maniacally* :evil:

Dan

Smash Lord
Well it's good to see as many Fire Emblem games as there are characters in Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't really think my votes are gonna count so I'm treating my votes more like a wish list

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not only can I edit abilities now in S&M, I can alter moves. So I can give any 'mon any move.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking of an ability I can give my hackmon Golisopod. I'm thinking Sheer Force, although that'd disable the healing from Leech Life.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Wow, so music is already being posted of FE: Echoes.

Honestly, I'm really excited for Echoes, because Gaiden is the FE title that I've had the least exposure to (meaning: ZERO), so it'll be a sort of new/old experience.

I'm gonna try to remain unspoiled for this.

I've been meaning to try an older FE game.
Though, I suppose this might not count since it is technically new, but eh, whatever.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Back when I first got into roms and emulators online, around the time melee came out

I searched for Fire Emblem after the characters were revealed for Melee.

The one I came upon was Fire Emblem Gaiden. I think it was the most common one online

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Echoes, here's the box art for the amiibo, in case people were curious.
]

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I wonder what Echoes will do with Gaiden's inventory system. In the original game, each character only had one inventory slot, which could hold either a weapon or an item like a shield or stat ring.

Part of me hopes they also keep the ridiculous stat boosting rings as well. The speed ring set whoever was holding it's speed to 40 (which was the cap for all stats in the game) and boosted their movement by 5. Ridiculous. :laugh:
I'm curious to hear what songs they add to the game. Gaiden only had the two map themes: one for Alm, one for Celica. and then the endgame map theme IIRC. FE1 had the same problem, and FE11 added some great tunes to spice things up.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm thinking I might pick up Echoes when it releases...a remake of an older game is a decent way to dive into what I've missed from the Fire Emblem series....and the trailer has caught my interest...

----

And speaking of Echoes, played a bit more of Prime 2 after a short hiatus...
Did a lot of stuff in Torvus...
Boost Guardian is down...If this were the Gamecube version I'd probably still be trying to kill it, but Trilogy version made it a lot more manageable...
Made my way down to the Submerged Temple after a bit of backtracking to acquire the Seeker Missiles...
Now, what happens when you take one of the best songs in Super Metroid and stick in the Primes?
This happens...

Such a serene yet mysterious melody...one of the best remixes in the Trilogy, right up there with Tallon Overworld 1 (Both are different versions of Brinstar originally)

Defeated the Alpha Blogg after acquiring the Gravity Suit Boost...Shortly coming up to one of my favourite mini-bosses in the game...

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Beautiful. I can't wait for the eventual OST. Gaiden's soundtrack as a whole is upbeat and catchy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

Not sure this has been brought up yet, but apparently it's not just voice acting being locked behind the phone app, it's lobbies and matchmaking too. Hopefully there's just some misconceptions here but ugh.
Welp, if true, Nintendo took one step forward and... well, some odd few steps to the side. Can't really say back, something like this isn't anywhere on the path.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Haven't had the chance to play Overwatch in a while, and I miss it...so it's time for an unexpected avatar change!

Speaking of which, who are your guys' characters that are your favs? Mine are Tracer > Mercy > Widowmaker > Torbjorn > D.Va.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

Not sure this has been brought up yet, but apparently it's not just voice acting being locked behind the phone app, it's lobbies and matchmaking too. Hopefully there's just some misconceptions here but ugh.
I was worried this would mean I wouldn't be able to play online for a second, but the article also specified that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming out two months before the app and Nintendo's online says it launches in March, so at least it's most likely not as bad as it could be.

Not that the comments aren't sticking with my initial terrified misconception. . .

Anyway, the official site says this:

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.
The "invite friends to play online" could either mean managing your friend list, which would be pretty bad, or sending mobile messages to your friends asking them to play online, which would be fine. The play appointment thing is pretty harmless.

Anything that isn't on the official website probably isn't restricted. Probably.

*EDIT* I remembered that your Friend List can actually register and manage people without paying for the online service. It'd just probably be kind of useless, but it also means that "invite friends to play online" probably doesn't mean that. Probably.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the app service just makes everything more convenient rather than restricting it

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think the app service just makes everything more convenient rather than restricting it
An app service is nice. The issue is that there's nothing on the console itself to also handle these tasks. Meaning if you don't have a Smart device, or your smart device isn't supported (because as far as I know, there's no Windows app) you're basically screwed. That's not convenient, that's restrictive.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
An app service is nice. The issue is that there's nothing on the console itself to also handle these tasks. Meaning if you don't have a Smart device, or your smart device isn't supported (because as far as I know, there's no Windows app) you're basically screwed. That's not convenient, that's restrictive.
Oh, I didn't know that was confirmed

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just gave my vote for Choose my Heroes to this fellow.

Gotta give the Fujin Yumi master some love.

As for who I plan on voting for each day, I would be alternating with every member of Team Takumi, but if each day had to go to an individual character, here's how mine is looking right now:

1. Takumi
2. Oboro
3. Hinata
4. Won't have access to a computer that day
5. Sakura
6. Chrom
7. Frederick
8. Laurent
9. Kaden
10. Virion
11. Shiro
12. Nowi