• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Welp... the white haired girl mispronounced Square Enix as Square Onix instead. She ends up getting corrected later on when someone else in the chairs said the name properly. XD

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Hmm.... I think. I think I see a trend here. I predict the NX will sell worse than the WiiU. Just call me Nostradamus if you will.

After 5 years....

WiiU is dying ALMOST 5 years into its lifespan, and it's got the shallowest library out of any Nintendo console. It took 2 years to get started, and support for it was mostly dropped last E3. We've literally have had only Zelda and Starfox to look forward to since then, and SF was mediocre, and Zelda isn't out yet. By those accounts, WiiU was only ever "alive" for 2 years.

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-gear-vr-2015/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/htc-vive-review
http://www.trustedreviews.com/oculus-rift-review
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/28/11284590/oculus-rift-vr-review
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/31/oculus-rift-review
http://www.gadgette.com/2016/06/13/htc-vive-review/

I'm not seeing much negativity here. 8/10 and 9/10 in most review sites. Also, every person whom I've seen try one has said it's amazing, just pricy and needs more software. For it's first generation, that's really good imo. The Giant Bomb "showcase" was obviously purposely negative for views, considering they're negative about EVERYTHING they review. That's their shtick, and even THEY praised VR as tech with a lot of potential.

So yeah, don't see where you're getting any of that.

Nintendo not doing VR is shooting themselves in the foot.
You have no clue what will happen in terms of marketing. Considering how the NX is actually seems to be getting decent third party support already with Ubisoft and Squeenix and how it seems the NX will have a traditional controller, I'd doubt that would drive the hardcore fans away, especially with what SE seems to be having. 'WEE YOO IZ DYING' If it's making a profit, which it did since MK8, I doubt that counts as dying. Especially because everyone on the planet has fallen in love with BotW, which mewns either A: The Wii U will suddenly get a ****ton of sales or B: People will get the NX version, which causes a ****ton of sales.
So when people have a negative reception it's automatically clickbait. I can claim this is also clickbait, right?
Actually, when the **** did we get into this? This is about whether or not we'll get another Smash, and to that, I debunked your point

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's still going to be a lot of story in the game, just most of it will be very much optional, considering you can face the final boss as soon as you start...it really depends on the player and whether they want to get the most out of the game...

So far Nintendo's not showing us anything regarding the story so as not to spoil us...this game will still have it's fair share of theories...some Youtubers have already cooked up some theories regarding this game...
True but it seems ass-backwards to fight Ganon from the get go. I'm not even sure if this feature was available in the first LoZ game which this game is similar to with it's non-linear format. There should be a requirement to collect a few things at least before slaying Ganon.

The fact that Link is able to wake up and then almost immediately kill Ganon is incredible to me. Maybe they just want heavy replay value in this game but it just doesn't sit well with me. I understand making a few plot points optional but this is over doing it a bit IMO.

D

Deleted member

And what would I do if I was in charge of Smash? Port as much code from the previous games as I can get away with. It's cheap, but it should lighten the workload considerably.

If it's a matter of "what would you even come up with to do with it," I would suggest a 2D open world story mode with missions and shops scattered around it, but I'll admit that requires a bit bigger of a budget. Still, if I can come up with that then I'm sure someone else can come up with a cheaper way of making a new title stand out.
Have you modded for Brawl? Have you modded for Smash WiiU?

Take a look at the code and models and animations, very little to none is ported. All of the models are brand new high poly models with high res textures. Most of the animations are freshly done in order to make them more smooth. Yes, you CAN cut a bit of work with the existing stuff, but its still a ton of man hours.

That's 60+ models you gotta do from scratch, with high res textures for each color, each which then has to be rerigged. Oh, and if you make an atlernate costume that's a brand new spiffy model you gotta make from scratch. After that you gotta make over 300 different animations for each, oh, and don't forget expressions too. After that you gotta code all the attacks, and hitboxes, and gather the frame data. Then you gotta test the frame data, and go back and redo animations to make sure they flow properly. Once you have that, you gotta playtest it for balance, meaning you then gotta go back and redo hitboxes and frame data again and again and again, till it's done right, and once you have that, then you gotta do it again for each character, and with each new character, you gotta replaytest every character in the roster to make sure you have balance, meaning you'll have to go back and retweak animations and frame data and hitboxes.

Oh, that's not even counting getting rights for characters, building stages, gameplay modes, testing new mechanics, etc...

Doable, ofc. Still, it's very labourous, meaning you need to hire people, which means you need time and money. Each new game increases the cost of development exponentially. I doubt it'll ever go higher than WiiU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
True but it seems ***-backwards to fight Ganon from the get go. I'm not even sure if this feature was available in the first LoZ game which this game is similar to with it's non-linear format. There should be a requirement to collect a few things at least before slaying Ganon.

The fact that Link is able to wake up and then almost immediately kill Ganon is incredible to me. Maybe they just want heavy replay value in this game but it just doesn't sit well with me. I understand making a few plot points optional but this is over doing it a bit IMO.
You needed at least the Recorder which was in a dungeon in Zelda 1. However, doing this means you don't have a lot of hearts, have no experience with boss battles and most likely would die. I can imagine Ganon dealing 4 hearts damage like an Iron Knuckle in the 3D games

D

Deleted member

True but it seems ***-backwards to fight Ganon from the get go. I'm not even sure if this feature was available in the first LoZ game which this game is similar to with it's non-linear format. There should be a requirement to collect a few things at least before slaying Ganon.
From what I remember, in the original game, you were required to clear the first eight dungeons before entering the final dungeon and facing Ganon.

Another tragedy in Orlando: an alligator caught a two-year-old boy near the Disney World. They're still searching for the boy, but it's quite safe to say it's too late. :(

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

It doesn't work like that.

If you want to fight Ganon early, you still need to prepare.

You don't start off with any weapons so at the least you would want to gather weapons and food (the latter especially for temporary hearts) before you face him.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
From the looks of things, I'm not feeling positive that we'll get any more bomb dropping from Nintendo unless Nintendo magically whips out Mother 3.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Have you modded for Brawl? Have you modded for Smash WiiU?

Take a look at the code and models and animations, very little to none is ported. All of the models are brand new high poly models with high res textures. Most of the animations are freshly done in order to make them more smooth. Yes, you CAN cut a bit of work with the existing stuff, but its still a ton of man hours.

That's 60+ models you gotta do from scratch, with high res textures for each color, each which then has to be rerigged. Oh, and if you make an atlernate costume that's a brand new spiffy model you gotta make from scratch. After that you gotta make over 300 different animations for each, oh, and don't forget expressions too. After that you gotta code all the attacks, and hitboxes, and gather the frame data. Then you gotta test the frame data, and go back and redo animations to make sure they flow properly. Once you have that, you gotta playtest it for balance, meaning you then gotta go back and redo hitboxes and frame data again and again and again, till it's done right, and once you have that, then you gotta do it again for each character, and with each new character, you gotta replaytest every character in the roster to make sure you have balance, meaning you'll have to go back and retweak animations and frame data and hitboxes.

Oh, that's not even counting getting rights for characters, building stages, gameplay modes, testing new mechanics, etc...

Doable, ofc. Still, it's very labourous, meaning you need to hire people, which means you need time and money. Each new game increases the cost of development exponentially. I doubt it'll ever go higher than WiiU.
So because one of the highest selling franchises on Nintendo consoles and a driving force behind the sales of several other franchises is "too hard to do," that means that a multi-billion dollar company is just going to drop it like a hot potato?

If it's THAT big of a burden, they'd sooner go full purge mode like some people predict and ditch half the cast than outright drop the IP. It makes too darn much money to get rid of outright because "I can't do it it's too hard."

D

Deleted member

Opera House and Plains of Hoshido are some of my most wanted stages right now, not to mention more FE stages means more awesome tracks from Fates could appear in the next Smash.
"Plains of Hoshido"? Is that the Chapter 6 map?
I'd want the Bottomless Canyon too, since it would likely have a thunderstorm effect but Opera House is my top pick

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm trying to transcribe "Curious Dining" from Fates into MuseScore
My goodness, this is ridiculously hard. HOW DO I DENOTE THE GRACE NOTES AND LINE EVERYTHING UP WITH THE PROPER TIMING IN THE SECOND PART? AND MOST THINGS STACCATO, AND SOME PARTS RUBATO?!

D

Deleted member

You have no clue what will happen in terms of marketing. Considering how the NX is actually seems to be getting decent third party support already with Ubisoft and Squeenix
You mean like how the WiiU had a ton of 3rd party support before launch and then they all bailed when they saw how poorly the console performed?

and how it seems the NX will have a traditional controller,
Source? None of the patents we've seen even remotely hint to that. As far as WHAT the NX actually is, your guess is as good as mine.

I'd doubt that would drive the hardcore fans away, especially with what SE seems to be having. 'WEE YOO IZ DYING' If it's making a profit, which it did since MK8, I doubt that counts as dying. Especially because everyone on the planet has fallen in love with BotW, which mewns either A: The Wii U will suddenly get a ****ton of sales or B: People will get the NX version, which causes a ****ton of sales.
I'd love to see Nintendo pry away users from Sony and the mobile market, sadly, I don't think they will. Sony currently controls the home console industry, and has an established console with the largest library of playable games, with many new ones on the horizon. NX, even with the strongest possible line up will have a VERY hard time competing with that. People will chose the PS4 over IT simply out of options available, AND VR. 3rd party devs will see this, and they'll drop support for the NX like they did with the WiiU, and this will further hurt that console's library.

Nintendo's ONLY chance with launching a console mid-gen is by appealing to casuals with something unexpected. Which makes me, as a fan, go "no thanks." I've had enough of that. Will it succeed? I personally don't care, but I seriously doubt it, the mobile market is massive, and expanding like crazy. Nintendo is probably gonna go for a slice of that pizza. Especially since modern mobile chips can match the output of 7th gen consoles.

PS4 is currently at 40 mil as of May 2016. We'll see what happens. here's another chart for you:

I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. Enjoy what you have, and don't assume that things will forever stay the same.

So when people have a negative reception it's automatically clickbait. I can claim this is also clickbait, right?
Actually, when the **** did we get into this? This is about whether or not we'll get another Smash, and to that, I debunked your point
You've yet to show me any negative reaction. GB are internet trolls, they're known for that.

And you haven't debunked squat, and new Smash is NOT guaranteed. At least not a new Smash that incrementally adds more content like the last 3. IF we get a new Smash, it'll very likely be a reboot of sorts. Just look and compare the content, and tell me how you could POSSIBLY add more.

So because one of the highest selling franchises on Nintendo consoles and a driving force behind the sales of several other franchises is "too hard to do," that means that a multi-billion dollar company is just going to drop it like a hot potato?

If it's THAT big of a burden, they'd sooner go full purge mode like some people predict and ditch half the cast than outright drop the IP. It makes too darn much money to get rid of outright because "I can't do it it's too hard."
They've done this MANY many times before. Ffs, their SLOGAN for last E3 was "reimagination" and look at Star Fox Zero.

Not only that, but fighting games are NOTORIOUS for constantly getting reboots.

It's not cause it's "too hard" it's a simple matter of investment vs. return, why continue to make more of the same with more stuff, which raises the investment exponentially each time, only to get diminishing returns, when you could rebrand it as a reboot, market it as a new experience, which in and of itself draw in fresh new sales from burnt out fans/users, as well as curious new users, and invest less money in pushing out the product than you would otherwise.

Plus, a reboot is NOT a bad thing. It's a chance to try out new ideas and reinvent the wheel. Innovate. Something Nintendo is practically famous for within the industry.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

We don't know to what extent this will be, though...first off, the final boss will be waaaaaay out of your league whenever you start the game it's not like you can just wake up grab a tree branch and just straight up beat the final boss and 'mishun compree'

I think it'll also be likely that we may not be able to access the final area easily without aid from other items, it may be possible to get there but players may have a bad time trying it so...like how some mountain peaks are very cold and it'll sap your health if you don't prepare yourself appropriately first...as well as some enemies early on literally one shotting you...

There's also the possibilities of multiple endings...perhaps beating Ganon early will result in a bad ending because you failed to save other characters and towns first or something...:4greninja:'d on this point...

Personally, I think Aonuma shouldn't have made this statement and just let us players figure it out for ourselves...but once again it simply emphasizes the freedom players have when they play the game...

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Careful.

They've done it before.
With a game that sells 4 million plus copies every time they send it out?

They make stupid excuses for a lot of things, but most of the franchises that they've put down for insane reasons have still had most of their games under the 1 million mark.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
With a game that sells 4 million plus copies every time they send it out?

They make stupid excuses for a lot of things, but most of the franchises that they've put down for insane reasons have still had most of their games under the 1 million mark.
They've dropped features and games for big franchises before because it was "too hard".

I'm not saying it will happen to Smash but don't say they wouldn't do it based on principle.

----------------------------

This was pretty cool.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
One of the smaller guardians they met in the treehouse had 500 HP and their strongest weapon dealt 14 damage to it.

Seems like you'd have to be a god to beat Ganon that early.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
User was warned for this post
Y'know what. **** this. You keep dragging this out to the point I don't even want to see your posts. You bring up **** that has nothing to do with Smash, and you keep going "LALALA WE NEED A SMASH REBOOT BECAUSE THE 3DS GAME DOESN'T EXIST AND THEREFORE DOESN'T GUARANTEE MONEY". All you're going to do is bring up VR the whole ****ing time. I'm done. Say hi to Banjo in Smash btw
EDIT: lol how the hell did the quote tags not get caught?

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I have a confession to make: I've never played a Dragon Quest game before.
They are really good in all aspects imo. Try one of the new ones, or maybe find DQ9 cheap. That game is phenomenal.

Just a heads up it's a very traditional RPG.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, I forgot about the first Zelda game.

I think this game should be like Final Fantasy where there's multiple different endings based on how much content you completed in the game. Completing less than half the game or missing an important plot element would lead to a Bad ending of sorts. Doing 50-80% of the game would give you a Normal ending, 80-99% would give you a Good ending, and 100% would give you a Perfect ending.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Yeah, I forgot about the first Zelda game.

I think this game should be like Final Fantasy where there's multiple different endings based on how much content you completed in the game. Completing less than half the game or missing an important plot element would lead to a Bad ending of sorts. Doing 50-80% of the game would give you a Normal ending, 80-99% would give you a Good ending, and 100% would give you a Perfect ending.
One of my most hated things in games of all time. No.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's not a 40 min analysis...but GameXplain has some gameplay footage for those who want to watch more Zelda...there's no commentary btw...

Ivander

Smash Legend
"Plains of Hoshido"? Is that the Chapter 6 map?
I'd want the Bottomless Canyon too, since it would likely have a thunderstorm effect but Opera House is my top pick
I think the Opera House might be a bit too similar to Arena Ferox or the Colosseum, although I'd be all for seeing Azura dancing in the cameo background.
However, the Bottomless Canyon is definitely my top pick, just cause of how it's an actual place in the FE world like Arena Ferox rather than a random Castle or Colosseum and how drastically different it would be design/area-wise from the current FE stages and most other stages in Smash. Also, considering most Smash stages tend to be a stage or something seen very early in their games, the Bottomless Canyon would fit into this category as it is first seen in Chapter 3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Y'know what. **** this. You keep dragging this out to the point I don't even want to see your posts. You bring up **** that has nothing to do with Smash, and you keep going "LALALA WE NEED A SMASH REBOOT BECAUSE THE 3DS GAME DOESN'T EXIST AND THEREFORE DOESN'T GUARANTEE MONEY". All you're going to do is bring up VR the whole ****ing time. I'm done.
EDIT: lol how the hell did the quote tags not get caught?
Ahh, you're that Anna chick from before. NOW I understand the cognitive dissonance. Ok, yeah, I'm done arguing with you, we'll get nowhere with this.

Say hi to Banjo in Smash btw
Say "hi" to him yourself:

Capture.JPG
B-K Smash recolors.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom